Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Kalli posted:

Tampa will likely hold firm or give him an incentive deal to pretend it's over $30m

Because who is giving Baker that contract? Just because the Giants were dumbasses doesn't mean you have to be.

*glances at the Pats’ cap space and tugs collar nervously*

I mean Baker and Marvin or Nabers wouldn’t be the WORST thing for a couple years…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

fartknocker posted:

To expand on that slightly, he apparently reacted very badly to the Eagles doing well with Foles after he was hurt in 2017. At one point, he said something in front of other injured players prior to Super Bowl LII about not wanting the team to be winning without him, to which Darren Sproles (Who was also on IR) nearly got into a fight with him. Foles ensuing popularity after the Super Bowl win, and then replacing an injured Wentz again the next year, didn’t help and made him more of an rear end in a top hat in the locker room.

Another year later, he didn’t handle the team drafting Jalen Hurts well, then played like rear end. He went to Indy, played mostly meh but would make awful mistakes at the worst times, and even got the normally very patient Jim Irsay upset enough to trade him after one season. He then went to Washington, where he was even worse and it was clear teammates and fans both vastly preferred Taylor Heinicke. He may have physical skills, but performs so poorly unless everyone is unquestioningly behind him, there’s a reason nobody signed him until mid-November this past season.

Irsay buried Wentz multiple times in the media after trading him, calling him an obvious mistake lol. He REALLY hated Wentz.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

BlindSite posted:

Dalton still has another year in Carolina. He signed a 2 year deal last offseason.

If they can trade him for a sixth or something they probably should? That team needs as many picks as possible

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

It is but they have so many holes and so much cap space that checking a box with a reliable boring vet is probably fine. It’s not like there’s a slew of stud free agent tight ends out there to sign and they have other priorities in the draft.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Dejan Bimble posted:

Every time I hear "Arthur Smith" i think they're talking about some owner, not the ugliest coach. Very rich old guy name for a man who's not that old and is in fact just an ugly middle aged man.

I definitely mixed him up with Falcons owner Arthur Blank a lot

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

I feel like Kirk cousins was always going to end up in Atlanta.

Also some titanic deck chairs predictions

https://x.com/nat_nfldraft/status/1766820644761547139?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

https://x.com/panthersontap/status/1766796186327867666?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Drew Lock: big moves

It also says the Panthers are “one to watch” for acquiring Michael Gallup from Dallas lmao. Yeah sure I’ll watch him fetch a 2025 sixth

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Re signing good players and getting rid of bad ones is a bold new direction for New England and I for one am glad

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

It’s a lot easier to justify when another team is picking up his salary!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Seems weird to cut your very good safety in order to sign a different safety :confused: I guess they need every penny they can get after Russ though

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Kalli posted:

Lawrence Mac needs weapons

:hmmyes:

Also agreed I’m fine if the Pats want to rent one of the veteran backs for a year or two. Wtf else are you doing with like 80 mil in cap space

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

This appears to be Cousins agent so welp

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

If Aaron Jones was gonna come available I wish the Pats had waited like 4 hours before signing their RB lol.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Ekeler may be circling the drain but that still seems like a solid safety blanket for whoever they draft in Washington

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

sean10mm posted:

IF you think the guy at 3 is your future franchise guy, you just take him, no matter what a shithole your team is. Even when "if" you draft high next year or the year after that you might not have the chance to take That loving Guy again.

Grozz Nuy posted:

I guess what I'm saying is maybe the Patriots don't think Jayden Daniels is 'the guy' and could potentially get a truly goofy amount of picks from a desperate team who does.

Pretty much agree with both. I HOPE they have an awesome grade on whoever is there at 3 and they can just confidently take him. If they think the guy sucks rear end then yeah don’t take a QB just to say you did it. Even then I would prefer they take Marvin or something and stay put.

The problem with trading back is all the likely partners are out of the top 10. You aren’t getting a situation where the dumbass Bears give you a million picks to leap one spot to take Trubisky. The opportunity cost isn’t just the QB you didn’t take at three. It’s like, all of the top receivers and tackles. You’re now in the zone where a bunch of defenders start going and I am a lot less excited about that.

E: unrelated, glad they are not bringing back Gesicki. What an obviously dumb signing that was

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Did someone tell Ridley which team Mac Jones is on as of a couple days ago. I feel like this is pertinent to his decision

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

he hasn't actually been traded yet

Ok fine I guess it can’t technically process til tomorrow Mr. Well Actually :colbert:

Mac better not slip in the shower tomorrow morning getting ready for his physical

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Tyrod and Lock. Can Danny Dimes be cut without a silly amount of dead cap?

Tyrod is on the Jets now fwiw

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Borsche69 posted:

Dobbins is a UFA, and I have a hard time seeing him wanting to come back, and also the Ravens wanting him to come back. Like 99.99% sure it's a mutual split

Didn’t he have a real bad knee injury and then an Achilles? It sucks but he could be on his way out of the league entirely. The list of running backs who returned from an Achilles tear and were good is like, nonexistent.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Nosre posted:

thank you really cheap resign for some reason :toot: https://twitter.com/zm_cox/status/1767655633111683177

I’m encouraged by guys agreeing to come back, and not at a massive lolpats tax either. I assumed every rat that could would be fleeing the ship

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

*Master Chief banging table*

CAL VIN RID LEY

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Docjowles posted:

*Master Chief banging table*

CAL VIN RID LEY

No not like that :mad:

So uh how much does one used Hollywood Brown cost

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Definitely wasn't suspicious at all that Atlanta was able to negotiate a massive deal for Cousins 1 millisecond after "legal tampering" opened :thunk:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Isnt his agent allowed to talk to whomever he wants? Like if the agent got a call from the Falcons FO saying "Hey we are interested in one of your players, here is what we are thinking of offering him, what do you think?" cant the agent reply?

The problem is the other direction. Teams aren't supposed to be calling dudes up while they are still under contract elsewhere

Which is dumb because of course teams and agents are talking off the record 24/7, but, it's the rule

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

drat rip to a legend. And I dunno I think it’s cool to see a guy go out while he’s still considered a holy terror. Not this Julio Jones style long farewell where he latches on with whoever will have him and the stats get more pathetic every year

On the other hand it looks like the Rams play the Jets this year and I would have really enjoyed Donald having a chance to bury Rodgers under MetLife next to Jimmy Hoffa

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Eagles backup was one of the last plausible roles for Fields, wasn't it? Man if he winds up as Bears QB2 after all the noise about trading him for a high pick that'll be pretty drat funny

Also I'm unsure what the Eagles saw in Pickett that made them want him as even a backup

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Bellmaker posted:

That illusion was shattered when they hired Matt Patricia

They also intentionally signed DeVante Parker for some reason

Harlock posted:

The Eagles beat writers are framing this as having a backup QB under control for 2 years at like 2m a year which is better than the 7m backups are getting.

Which, okay sure, whatever. Draft some loser in the 6th round who's better than Pickett.

You'd think the Eagles of all teams would understand the value of having a functional backup QB

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Black Sunshine posted:

Primanti Bros, basically huge sandwiches with fries piled on top

Steelers Country, Let's Fry!

My favorite cringe catchphrase so far has been Steelers Country, Let's Weld. Not because it is good, but because it's exactly the kind of dumbass focus group-rear end thing Russ would say

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Blind Pineapple posted:

I would have to disagree with that assessment. Better at WR and maybe RB with Mixon now. I don't know much about the tackles for the Texans, but I'll assume they're better there. After that, though, uh... They are certainly worse at TE, IOL, and most defensive positions. The Texans aren't too far behind on defensive talent, but the Chiefs have a couple guys with a legit claim to literally the best player in the league at their positions. Chiefs also have a huge advantage at kicker, which is super important in close games.

The chiefs lucking into Butker for free cause the Panthers are dumb is highly annoying

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Man what a fall from grace. Take your pick whether I am talking about Pickett, Russ, or Fields :lol:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

So are the Steelers just accumulating as many cheap QBs as possible and hoping one sticks? I assume they are going to draft a developmental guy in the middle rounds too. The all scratch ticket QB room will be interesting at least

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

If you want to pad the list you could argue Warren Moon I guess. Although that was actually racism over the idea of a black QB more than some skill switch suddenly flipping 5 years in.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Kawalimus posted:

I'm not just talking about franchise QBs I'm talking about anyone who made great improvements years later. So that includes Geno Smith. He was a punchline of a player nobody thought we'd ever see in any form again and then reemerged. Vinny Testaverde, Kyle Orton, Jeff George, I might even include someone like Tommy Maddox.

Even if he's not a franchise QB it doesn't mean Fields might not have some great years in him in a better organization.

Tommy Maddox, the only QB ever to be MVP of XFL 1.0 :hmmyes:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Bjay9 posted:

(Now please resign JJ)

*monkey paw curls* with the eleventh pick, the Vikings select JJ McCarthy

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

xbilkis posted:

I think it's underdiscussed how Minnesota might be pretty badly situated to move up, even though they're sitting just outside the top 10. Any team in that 4-6 stretch wouldn't just be giving up on their preferred prospect by moving down to 11; there's a good chance they'd be giving up on the entire "blue chip" tier of prospect in this draft.

I feel like most teams would have no more than 8-9 guys classified on that level — some combo of the top 3 QBs, top 3 WRs, maybe 1-2 LTs, maybe an EDGE or a CB, maybe Bowers. A trade down with Minnesota would be hard to swallow unless you're really high on Bowers, a defender or a non-Alt tackle.

And then from Minnesota's perspective, you've got an inverse situation going on, where it's totally reasonable for them to ask "How much should I really have to pay for the right to move up 6-7 picks and draft the 4th best QB in this draft?". It's hard for me to imagine them finding common ground with another team on a fair price to trade up.

I've been saying this for a while in the context of the Pats. If the evaluations of the top ~10 guys in this draft are correct (which is a huge if), trading back means giving up your shot at the kind of player who is a franchise bedrock for many years. You're looking at a significant tier drop. The rebuttal is that draft evals are wrong all the drat time and sometimes Josh Rosen goes at 10 while Lamar Jackson goes at 32. Which is fair.

But I agree with you. If a team in the top 5 is going to trade back with someone in that 11-15 range, they need to ask for the moon and the stars. The opportunity cost of all the guys they are foregoing is huge.

I was listening to a podcast tonight that proposed the Vikings send their 2 2024 firsts, 2024 5th or something, and 2025 first to New England. In return for the 2024 3rd overall and a 2025 3rd rounder. That's the kind of overwhelming haul that would make me feel OK about trading back. Is it realistic? I dunno, that is a lot of loving picks lol. For what it's worth it was PFF's Stock Exchange podcast, not some dumbass Boston homer show. It's also peak "making stuff up for engagement" season. But if I were in charge, I would want that kind of return to willingly pass on all QBs, Marvin Harrison, Nabers, Odunze, Joe Alt.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

They’d be insane to trade JJ, I don’t get why he is constantly the subject of trade rumors. I guess if he pitches a fit and holds out you could think about it. Even if you get 3 firsts or something, what are the odds that any of those picks develop into a player close to as good as Jefferson?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

No Butt Stuff posted:

I think at that point you’re accepting you won’t replace him but instead of having 1 A+ player you may end up with 3B+ with upside?

It’s a dumb gamble but it happens.

Yeah I see this logic, I just disagree with it. At least when it comes to one of the very best players in the league at any position. The handful of guys who can singlehandedly win games every week have such outsized value. You can't add 2+2+2 and get 10.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah I mean it’s a big contract but if I am reading Spotrac correctly it didn’t annihilate the previous CB market. Seems like a good get for Tennessee

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

CPat is cool and I wish him well. But lol that like a month after hiring Arthur Smith he's in there pounding the table for this dude

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

3 DONG HORSE posted:

#error# needs weapons

Unfortunately the best they could do was Josh Reynolds

Man the Broncos pass catching situation is Bad. Maybe this will be the year Tim Patrick avoids a devastating offseason injury

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I wish Dobbins well cause he seemed like an exciting player, but after ACL and Achilles injuries he might leave you pining for the corpse of Ekeler. Dude’s legs have been through some poo poo