Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
gently caress the Cowboys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't think anyone wants Bryce.

Nicole Tepper want someone smaller than her

I can’t recall if she’s actually taller than smol bryce or not

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Black Lighter posted:

Somebody on the Saints is gonna use this to become the oldest active player in NFL history and probably also the most-paid and I'm here for it

The year is 2040. A 50-year old Taysom Hill hands the ball off to a 38-year old Frank Gore Jr., who gains 3.2 yards on the play. The Saints still have their cap hit on the books for another 4 years.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

And they're one win away from clinching the NFCS.

Which they ultimately do with a record of 8-10. They will lose in the Wild Card round to a 13-5 team from the NFC West.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Corzaa posted:

As someone who is only getting back into the NFL this past year. Why does everyone seemingly hate Carson Wentz?

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

apparently he is a huuuuge rear end in a top hat, does not willingly take coaching, and is entitled.

To expand on that slightly, he apparently reacted very badly to the Eagles doing well with Foles after he was hurt in 2017. At one point, he said something in front of other injured players prior to Super Bowl LII about not wanting the team to be winning without him, to which Darren Sproles (Who was also on IR) nearly got into a fight with him. Foles ensuing popularity after the Super Bowl win, and then replacing an injured Wentz again the next year, didn’t help and made him more of an rear end in a top hat in the locker room.

Another year later, he didn’t handle the team drafting Jalen Hurts well, then played like rear end. He went to Indy, played mostly meh but would make awful mistakes at the worst times, and even got the normally very patient Jim Irsay upset enough to trade him after one season. He then went to Washington, where he was even worse and it was clear teammates and fans both vastly preferred Taylor Heinicke. He may have physical skills, but performs so poorly unless everyone is unquestioningly behind him, there’s a reason nobody signed him until mid-November this past season.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Mr. Nice! posted:

Carson Wentz saw Foles in the shower and has felt inadequate since.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Forrest on Fire posted:

Lmao at the Bears.

E: like regardless of what happens.

It doesn't matter who plays QB for the Bears, the ceiling is "vague flashes of mediocracy at best"

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

"loving Cousins" about to have a different meaning in the South

Docjowles posted:

This appears to be Cousins agent so welp

Yeah, Rappaport and Garafolo confirmed this on NFL Network

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

rofl okay this is stupid funny

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Kalli posted:

I haven't heard that name in fore.... oh it's his loving son. his loving son is a free agent, jesus christ.

The upcoming draft is going to feature Marvin Harrison, Frank Gore, Kris Jenkins, and Jeremiah Trotter.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

mcmagic posted:

Very dumb by the Dolphins to let him walk for this.

Aren’t the Dolphins still like $30 million over the cap and need to be under by Wednesday afternoon?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Professor Funk posted:

He’s a fake account

This is still real to me:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1767290529039999101?s=20

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I can’t believe Mike Williams has been the league for seven seasons.

I think the NFL is legally obligated to always have a receiver named Mike Williams who is perpetually injured or underperforming expectations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Isnt Rudolph like... 30+ at this point?

He'll be 29 when the season starts.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Nodoze posted:

lmao patriots

gently caress the Patriots

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Mega64 posted:

How 'bout dem Cowboys

gently caress ‘em

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

There is nothing Zach Wilson has ever done that makes me think he is better than Ridder. He is a disaster.

Do we know how many MILFs Ridder has snagged?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Calidus posted:

You mean Joe Alt and 90 yards passing

Spiritual successor to MartyBall

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Docjowles posted:

If you want to pad the list you could argue Warren Moon I guess. Although that was actually racism over the idea of a black QB more than some skill switch suddenly flipping 5 years in.

Yeah, Moon was clearly good and while he had a little transition time coming back from the NFL, plus Houston being bad at that point, he then was outstanding for another decade plus.

You could kinda sorta put Steve Young in there, as he went to the USFL first, then had two awful seasons with the holy poo poo terribad mid-80s Bucs, before going to San Francisco and being labeled as an athletic run first guy backing up peak Montana for a while (Including Young having a chance to win the starting role in ‘88 but struggling). He doesn’t become the starter until his 5th season with the 49ers in 1990 when Montana was hurt, and then beginning the following year quickly rattled off several MVPs and whatnot.

Another name I can think of that might fit the list is Phil Simms, whose first three seasons were mostly mediocre, often bad, and then followed by two seasons missed almost entirely to injury. It wasn’t until his 6th year that he finally started to really play well, and still had some more ups and downs but would be generally a good starter for the next decade.

Either way, for all those guys who struggled heavily early on, there’s a lot of others who were bad for three seasons and then continued to be rear end but hung around for reasons being rear end for years onward.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Quiet Feet posted:

You can just say Steve Grogan.

I could narrowly get the Pats to the playoffs with him but I don't remember if I was ever able to win a playoff game.

Eric the Mauve posted:

You just chuck it deep to Marv Cook and hope Grogan throws a jump ball. If not it's an armpunt but it's not like you're moving the ball any other way in the playoffs anyway.

Almost as challenging is Brister because with his super high Passing Speed and super low everything else he throws low line drives all over the place, plus the Steelers have no receivers even as good as Marv Cook. But at least you get to use RodGod on defense.

Grogan should be benched for Marc Wilson, but yeah, just take some deep shots and hope for jump balls with him.

With Brister (Or the similarly rated Billy Joe Tolliver of the Chargers), it’s actually fairly easy to have an effective passing game, you just need to throw it short, since the high passing speed has everything at a low trajectory and makes them more susceptible to getting picked by guys underneath. The best are plays that spread the field both vertically and horizontally, where they’ll give you something short where you can roll slightly and not have anyone between you and the receiver, particularly two of the Shotgun passes (X Drive and Z S-In). Some of the Run and Shoot plays, like Flare C and Z Fly, work really well too, as does the classic Pro T Flare D. Bigger issue for Pittsburgh is IIRC they just have now speed at any skill spots, so it’s an utter grind to do anything offensively.

The worst QBs in the game to me are probably Jim Harbaugh and Jeff George. Both have just enough pass speed to give them flatter trajectories, but horribly low pass control ratings that makes them more likely to get picked if there is any defender underneath, and they don’t have the cannon arms that Tolliver and Brister have which make quick check downs work. Grogan’s super low pass speed actually makes him slightly better since his stuff ends up as rainbows that go over everyone’s head, and makes him occasionally effective at deep balls.

:thurman:

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Mar 20, 2024

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Black Sunshine posted:

I felt like a kid again reading this, holy gently caress it's like a time warp

Tecmo Super Bowl still owns and I’ve sunk a lot of time into it.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

a neat cape posted:

I don't think you realize the last time the Chargers had a TE that could run block

Brandon Manumaleuna?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

a neat cape posted:

That's who I was thinking lol

Another classic example of “dude who always ended up on my team in Madden”, he was the quintessential blocking TE you had as 2nd or 3rd on the depth chart.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Silly Burrito posted:

april fool??????

the alternative is......

He was cheaper than Blaine Gabbert?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Well a two time super bowl champ QB has gotta cost a pretty penny

And since Wentz only is a one time champ, he must cost half as much, making him a steal of a signing :shuckyes:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Intruder posted:

There was some post about matt ryan looking like a 40 year old divorced dad in a sweater or something, I can't remember the details. Guess it wasn't that though!

e: as the person described in said post I'm curious to see it again now :v:

I reposted it last week in the Offseason thread, and the original posts from 2013 (:corsair:) if you want to see the reactions at the time are one of the threads linked in archived/goldmine stuff in the stickied thread.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

DeimosRising posted:

Who was the original poster, I don’t have archives

Norv Turner

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Codependent Poster posted:

What are the Bills doing

:pseudo: The Chiefs won two Super Bowls with meh or questionable wide receiver groups, let’s try that! :shuckyes:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Eric the Mauve posted:

What is it about the wide receiver position in particular that so many of the guys who are good at it are crazy?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Freaquency posted:

Actually I don’t really know what happened there, he was apparently a joke with Philly but now he seems fine? I can’t think of any egregious drops and he was one of the more dependable pass catchers on the roster last season

Agholor had a lot of drops early in his career with the Eagles, played well during the Super Bowl season in 2017, then went back to being very drop prone in subsequent seasons, with things becoming even worse in 2019 when their whole receiving corps basically died.

Then this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO_xVprVYBk

Hence why frequently when Agholor does something, or makes a drop or whatever, gifs of that guy show up, as it’s honestly the first thing a lot of people think of when his name comes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Mega64 posted:

Nelson Agholor on the hands team :psyduck: