Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Joy, a curious feeling oft confused with happiness. What is it, exactly? Defined alternatively—depending on the snootiness of your dictionary of choice—as either a feeling of great pleasure and happiness, or the state of being able to experience said feelings. Joy is one of those tricky things that’s hard to understand at all when only known in abundance.

Spinoza proclaimed joy as man’s passage from a lesser to a greater state of perfection. A deficit of such going hand in hand with being beaten down and defeated. Certainly a life with joy is better lived than one without?

Spinoza, of course, proclaimed a lot of other things. Perhaps not an ideal arbiter of the value of existence—but, he offered a salient point nonetheless.

Is joy something that can be cultivated, or is it merely an illusory justification of circumstance wielded bluntly by those who have it as a cudgel of station against those who do not? Is joy a duty or simply an unconscionable state of ignorance?

This is a thread for discussing all aspects of joy: what it is, what it is not, its causes and its nemeses. What brings you joy? What keeps you from it? What do wordy dead people or the loquacious podcasting “philosophers” of today have to say about it? What do you have to say about it? GBS is dying to know. :jpmf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Didn't read, I wanna punch that guy in the face though

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_ODFtJckRQ

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

We already have an Egg thread in GBS

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Mega64 posted:

Didn't read, I wanna punch that guy in the face though

would that bring you joy?

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Joy isn't a word. Say it a few times and you'll see.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

is it real?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

cumpantry posted:

is it real?

maybe? if you define “real” as the materialists do, joy could perhaps be considered as the state of having a functional dopaminergic system—something which could theoretically be quantified

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Joy is highly subjective, and can be achieved by anyone anywhere. But also difficult to achieve for some.

Joy is a byproduct however, a result of your real actions. And rather frivolous and inconsequential IMO.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
🤔
joy is distinct from both pleasure and mirth, it is perhaps the feeling that seems most close to heaven (as Schiller put it, the "Daughter of Elysium") but I think it vain to consider that to signify a higher state of being, or even too near a sibling to fulfillment
joy has to be discovered. sought perhaps through beauty, delight, human connection, attainment, but its nature denies a concrete locale, for to prescribe it is to lose something from the feeling itself- it lives in authenticity, can only be come upon freely. I think it must be close to wonder.
so I think it's a very separate question from that of ethics

but what the hell do I know? I'm a lousy existentialist

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

redshirt posted:

Joy is highly subjective, and can be achieved by anyone anywhere. But also difficult to achieve for some.

Joy is a byproduct however, a result of your real actions. And rather frivolous and inconsequential IMO.

if joy is a byproduct of your actions wouldn’t it be possible to deliberately take action that cultivates it? seems like that would only be inconsequential if, as prescribed by the calvinists, one’s actions are predetermined. if your path is at all chosen by you, then why not choose a joyful one?

even if much of your path is determined by externalities, wouldn’t that make choosing to embrace joy at the small moments where you are empowered to make such a choice all the less frivolous?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Cubone posted:

🤔
joy is distinct from both pleasure and mirth, it is perhaps the feeling that seems most close to heaven (as Schiller put it, the "Daughter of Elysium") but I think it vain to consider that to signify a higher state of being, or even too near a sibling to fulfillment
joy has to be discovered. sought perhaps through beauty, delight, human connection, attainment, but its nature denies a concrete locale, for to prescribe it is to lose something from the feeling itself- it lives in authenticity, can only be come upon freely. I think it must be close to wonder.
so I think it's a very separate question from that of ethics

but what the hell do I know? I'm a lousy existentialist

if joy lives in authenticity, then why does posting bring so much joy?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

TrashMammal posted:

if joy lives in authenticity, then why does posting bring so much joy?
why shouldn't it? even those who post only to deceive come to it of their own accord

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Joy is but the brief illumination by the wise of a job well done

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Cubone posted:

why shouldn't it? even those who post only to deceive come to it of their own accord

:hmmyes:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

In conclusion: Total Doody

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
you gots to jump for it and if you don't jumps high enough you don't gets any

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

dee eight posted:

you gots to jump for it and if you don't jumps high enough you don't gets any

house of pain was actually an ironic band name

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i was once referred to in a written breakup letter (not to me, to a friend's roommate) as a "joyless artless hateful philistine"

so i'm afraid i can't offer much on the subject

the reason cited for declaring me such was my opinion on the video game final fantasy 8, which i had shared the one time i met the breakuper, if you must know

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
Being happy and living in the United States in 2024 is immoral. There is too much suffering

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Kant hated this concept
Proof: I've read Kant

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Joy is either a trauma response to your daily suffering or the everyday lived experience of not knowing real hardship.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Three Olives posted:

everyday lived experience of not knowing real hardship.

dont sign you're poasts

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Bad Purchase posted:

i was once referred to in a written breakup letter (not to me, to a friend's roommate) as a "joyless artless hateful philistine"

so i'm afraid i can't offer much on the subject

the reason cited for declaring me such was my opinion on the video game final fantasy 8, which i had shared the one time i met the breakuper, if you must know

how could you be joyless, op, when you’ve managed to find so much joy in the suffering of your enemies? perhaps the purest joy of all?

MrQwerty posted:

Kant hated this concept
Proof: I've read Kant

kant was a true poster. if he lived today i would find great joy in buying him a forums account

Who Is Paul Blart posted:

Being happy and living in the United States in 2024 is immoral. There is too much suffering

to cede all joy is to surrender to that suffering, op. a joyless people are a defeated people, the very essence of hope snatched from their grasp. how is it immoral to deny your oppressor that victory?

Three Olives posted:

Joy is either a trauma response to your daily suffering or the everyday lived experience of not knowing real hardship.

that’s ennui, you silly goober

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

TrashMammal posted:

kant was a true poster. if he lived today i would find great joy in buying him a forums account

yeah he'd be a top 10 proster for sure

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Joy to the world, all the boys and girls, joy to the fishes in the deep blue sea, joy to you and me.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

Who Is Paul Blart posted:

I have some bad news about the entire course of human existence

OP, I do think that it's an ethical duty to cultivate a capacity for joy. If you're stuck on a desert island it's probably not that pressing, but other people do need joy when it's appropriate. It can also flush out some major gunk in the old brain pipes, or at least help identify what to work on.

I find sympathetic joy meditation to be pretty difficult. It's way easier to experience joy at other's happiness with stimuli, like hearing their voice or seeing a happy face. Those neural pathways largely bypass active cognition. A lot of times, the way in which we're happy for others is sort of perfunctory at best, because there's a lot of poo poo going on. Or it's limited to a small number of people. It seems like it's helpful though.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
The Ethics of JOI

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I bring joy to my loved ones by saying something funny or doing something stupid

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
ive been retired 5 years 1 week

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I like the small daily joys like doing a huge bust or getting empty-quoted

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Carlos Lantana posted:

ive been retired 5 years 1 week

Congrats! Do you get a pension?

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I did a little googling on this whole “joy” thing.

“The Joyful Things are among the most envied of Zon-Kuthon's followers—individuals who have undergone the Joymaking ceremony. These devotees voluntarily have their arms, legs, and unnecessary extremities such as eyes, ears, and other sensory organs removed over the course of a single night, believing that the less flesh a person has the more pain and pleasure they experience, and thus the more of such feelings they can channel to their dark god.”

Yeah, I think I’ll pass.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I did a little googling on this whole “joy” thing.

“The Joyful Things are among the most envied of Zon-Kuthon's followers—individuals who have undergone the Joymaking ceremony. These devotees voluntarily have their arms, legs, and unnecessary extremities such as eyes, ears, and other sensory organs removed over the course of a single night, believing that the less flesh a person has the more pain and pleasure they experience, and thus the more of such feelings they can channel to their dark god.”

Yeah, I think I’ll pass.

Well drat, now I'm interested!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

those are pleasures op

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Ten toes to the path, two hands on the joystick

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

those are pleasures op

what good is a joyless pleasure? a nut busted with a sigh? a post empty-quoted for several pages straight in pyf? the empty trifles of anime watchers and lost souls with nothing left to live for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Your hosed up rodent av brings me joy when I see it. I don't really know why but it does.