Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

for old computers in my apartment, I've got a MicroVAX 3100/40 under my desk that had some capacitor in the PSU let out the magic smoke. it's a neat little box, not particularly speedy (something like 3 VUPs) but you can run netbsd on it and telnet in just fine. also a mostly working mac classic ii. most recent acquisition is an IBM PS/2 Model 50, one of the weirder machines here as it's a 286 machine with a 1.44 MB floppy drive... and an MCA bus instead of ISA. everything in it checks out okay except the riser board for connecting the floppy controller to the proprietary card sockets that IBM used on the PS/2 floppies of this era has an exploded tantalum on the 12VDC rail, so the BIOS will detect the floppy drive but can't power on the motor. of course, since the CMOS is configured by booting from a floppy, and I had to replace the CMOS battery wiping the NVRAM in the process, I can't boot it from the hard drive until I fix this riser board.

needless to say there's a bunch of soldering in my future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU