Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Every time a colleague shot me out of a cannon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
The very first call I was responsible for leading as an EMT was responding to a woman who had been drugged, sexually assaulted and dumped at a motel at 3am. it was, no doubt, the worst feeling I have ever encountered as I felt completely unprepared to help deal with the emotional side of that kind of emergency. pretty sure i cried that night/next day

Nowadays I work in a computer toucher office job and I think about that all the time when people get pissy and lovely over an email or something dumb - office work problems are not real problems. I have very little tolerance for "woe is me" man children because some business leader didn't respect your PhD or whatever gay baby bullshit your complaining about

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 7, 2024

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Regularly before I got medication, I'd actually be talking to customers with tears rolling down my face explaining there was nothing actually wrong with me, I was just depressed. Absolutely no bueno, now I think about it.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Torquemada posted:

Regularly before I got medication, I'd actually be talking to customers with tears rolling down my face explaining there was nothing actually wrong with me, I was just depressed. Absolutely no bueno, now I think about it.

not really at work, but i get that. my mind and body is sad now, produce tears. and i'm just kind of emotionally detached from it.

brains are weird

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

my last day at mcdonalds i had this lady come up to the front register already dialed up to 10. she's got a big stain on her skirt so i see where it's going. starts screeching at me because the window people gave her an unsecured lid and it's my fault and do you know who i am? do you know who my husband is? he's gonna come down here and start knocking holes around, you're gonna be REALLY sorry, etc. no manager at all till the very end of just standing there being yelled at which scared her off. but the entire deal shook 18 yo me enough to blubber tears in the bathroom. despite that manager being an incredible pain for the 8 mos i worked there, she was cool that day at least. dont think ive ever cried on the job since

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

TontoCorazon posted:

I guess the morel of this thread is never work at call centers

Yep. I've worked two in-bound call centers. One was for a pyramid scheme, the other was an inbound call center for health benefits. Without a doubt the worst two jobs I've ever had. In fact, the second one was so horrible that I took a six dollar an hour pay cut to work at a Papa Johns, instead. Which was, interestingly, the worst pizza shop I've ever worked at.

But, to the purpose of the thread, I have cried twice at work.

The first was when I was working on a really unhappy and stressful shoot. Even now, if I drive past some of those locations, I get kinda lightheaded and my heart speeds up. Anyway, we were on nights by this time, and I was scraped thin. Just exhausted and beaten down. Before she went to bed, my wife sent me a picture of my infant son and I lost it. poo poo, I'm getting emotional right now just remembering it. But I missed him so much and I was so unhapppy and all I wanted was to say fugg it and drive home and hold the little guy. Man, I love that dude.

The second time was a two years ago when I was shooting motorcycle racing. One of the riders went off the track, almost spilled, corrected, went a couple meters and then went into a concrete wall at 70 mph. We ran the replay once, before we knew how bad the crash actually was. When he actually went off the bike and ragdolled into the wall, he went behind a barrier, so the camera shooting him didn't actually see the impact. Small mercies for us, I guess. It was on the far side of the track from me, but it still messed me up. They cancelled the races for the day. I had to call my wife and just hear her and my kid's voice after that. The dude was well loved in the paddock, too. Not a top competitor, but he was so generous and kind to everyone. That was a rough day.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

TontoCorazon posted:

well you certainly can't afford morels if you're working at a call center

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

you can afford orals

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Got hit in the balls pretty hard

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

cat botherer posted:

well you certainly can't afford morels if you're working at a call center

You know what I mean :argh:

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008
I have a double degree in math and computer science. When I got my first big-gal job at Microsoft 25 years ago, I was routed to test work instead of development (female developers were REALLY rare back then, even moreso than now).

I was proud of getting a job in the industry. Yes, I had more than one meeting where someone asked me to make them coffee, or just outright assumed I was an admin. One guy tried to "flirt" with me by trying to guess whose executive assistant I was. Of course, these few blatant issues were piled on top of an ENORMOUS heft of microaggressions: being ignored in meetings, being talked over, not being invited to things I should have been at, being dismissed without merit.

As a tester, I was the person nobody wanted in the room already. In the industry, test work is considered pretty low. One of my coworkers described it as a dental-vibe; that "didn't get into real med school, huh?" kind of thing.

Anyway, after about a year or so of this we got a new program manager. He joined our team from somewhere else at Microsoft, so he'd been in industry for a while.

At our first meeting, he glances at me.

"Oh, it's the little test girl!"

I managed to hold it together long enough to exit the room with some excuse. Went back to my office and just sobbed my eyes out. My boss heard me, and he's a good man. He got the story out of me once I calmed down. As soon as I told him what set me off he got this look of pure rage and leapt up, tear-assing down the hall. He went right to HR and I got an apology from the PM.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Piss And Shittium posted:

Never cried at work. When I realise i'm getting stressed out or some poo poo, I just remember "I need to stop caring", and then I do.

Yeah. I spent my time in the retail grind and it had its moments, but I was never emotionally invested enough to get more than irritated. I'd just count the hours and know that in X amount of time I'd be on my couch hitting the bong or whatever.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I did once, but it had nothing to do with work really. Like two weeks into this terrible ordeal to try and get my brother into an addiction treatment program, I had to go into work even though I think I got a call at like 4 in the morning saying he was close to death, and then another call at 7 or so saying he was out of the woods. Then I went to work at my normal time, but I just broke down out of nowhere like right before lunch. I'd spent many hours and days at that point trying everything I could think of for him. Thankfully I was all by myself and could fully engage the moment. It was deep and powerful and I truly felt better after it was over.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The day my dog died--the one I grew up with--I couldn't concentrate at work so I was whacking the random article button on Wikipedia, and as luck would have it, it spat out the epitaph for Lord Byron's dog. I was kind of a mess. Luckily it was a holiday that everyone but me had saved a floating holiday for so I was completely alone in an empty cubicle farm.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

TontoCorazon posted:

This and also be nice to call center employees. It’s not their fault their company is hosed up and there’s likely nothing they can do about it.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
ive never cried at work, but thats because i dont get sad, i get mad, which is way worse

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

My Spirit Otter posted:

ive never cried at work, but thats because i dont get sad, i get mad, which is way worse

There are tons of exceptions to the rule but working in a restaurant conditioned me to believe, in general, women cry and men rage.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

I got a great position I had fought two-and-a-half years and finally escaped call center work. Even though I was working at a company I hated, it was the perfect job for me. My wife had just given birth, and we needed more money than I was making. I had a chance encounter with someone I knew from way back who had been promoted to management. We got along well back then, so when he offered me a chance to join his department for more money, and my current department director said I could always come back, I said yes. I asked if there was call center work involved. He said about 20%. I didn't love it, but fine.

It was 100%.

And I had to do a poo poo ton of extra work while answering nonstop calls.

I hated it, so I asked my old department head if I could come back. Nope. She suggested I go back to my old (lower-paying) department for a year and try reapplying. So many nights, I'd go and sit at my old desk and cry.

On the bright side, it was the impetus for me to study for IT certifications. Hardest, most exhausting stretch of my life, but I guess it worked out in the end. I just wish it didn't happen like that.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Jelly posted:

There are tons of exceptions to the rule but working in a restaurant conditioned me to believe, in general, women cry and men rage.

ive only worked in male-dominated fields, so i cant speak to the average woman's stress reaction. but the male part definitely tracks. i can count on both hands the amount of dudes ive seen cry at work, but that probably speaks more to the type of personality thats attracted to those jobs.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
There's two that I can think of that both happened fairly recently.

One was driving Uber and I picked up someone who had just lost her sister and having been someone who lost his sister I talked to her for about an hour and helped comfort her because she was very depressed and I think our conversation helped her find some comfort in some ways. After that I turned off the app and drove home crying the entire time because talking about it brought back so many memories.

The other time was when I got a call while I was installing windows and doors from the bank saying that there was no way they could provide me a loan to buy my childhood home that's been in our family for three generations meaning my parents would have to sell it to someone else. I asked my boss if I could go bend some coil in the trailer for a while so I could spend all of 10 minutes just bawling my eyes out.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
When HR at work noticed I was struggling with stress and other mental health issues due to their constant day and night (and weekends) whip-cracking of employees, called me into meeting room, and told me I should just resign right then and there and go move into an assisted living center if I couldn't hack it there.

Not joking. And I broke down into tears immediately when they said that to me. Utterly unfeeling, hateful, disrespectful, unhelpful, evil piece of loving poo poo that HR person was. Everyone hated and still hates that rear end in a top hat.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Catastrophe posted:

When HR at work noticed I was struggling with stress and other mental health issues due to their constant day and night (and weekends) whip-cracking of employees, called me into meeting room, and told me I should just resign right then and there and go move into an assisted living center if I couldn't hack it there.

Not joking. And I broke down into tears immediately when they said that to me. Utterly unfeeling, hateful, disrespectful, unhelpful, evil piece of loving poo poo that HR person was. Everyone hated and still hates that rear end in a top hat.

What did you do after?

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

redshirt posted:

What did you do after?

Told them I'd work on myself and keep doing my best work. That lasted for about a year. See, during that meeting, that company that offers what they call "unlimited, take-what-you-need PTO, told me that I was no longer allowed to take a single day off from work anymore for whatever reason (yeah, isn't THAT a great work environment??). My manager about a year later noticed that I sounded kind of ill on a morning conference call one morning and told me to take the day off. Four days later, HR called me into another meeting and told me I was getting laid off for taking a day off even though they told me not to. I said my manager TOLD ME TO. They didn't care.

Their employee reviews on GlassDoor have some real abysmal stories of abuse from other employees. The place is a hostile, poisonous asscrack of a company.

Desmodus rotundus
Sep 15, 2013

HAY GUYS

Ive cried a couple times at a restaurant I used to work at. Both from nightmare customers, and a boss who for the most part i liked but was a dude who needed therapy for anger issues. At least when it was a customer who made me cry and I was in the bathroom, another guest was in there who i was serving and she got REAL MAD someone made me cry and asked if i wanted her to go out an yell at the dude in the restaurant. I said nah im good, but it was still very sweet and helped me get back on the floor knowing i wasn't totally terrible at my job.

I still serve very part time, and now i know I'm good at my job and i don't really NEED the restaurant job - Im much more willing to just walk out or not give a poo poo if a customer is rude or if a manager yells at me. My customer service voice for telling people "no" has gotten really good for not taking poo poo but being friendly. Its a good skill to have.

naem
May 29, 2011

Catastrophe posted:

sue the living loving poo poo out of them and retire off the money

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Growing up, my parents owned a small grocery/convenience store. They were inexperienced in running a business and seemed to think the more and harder you worked, the more the business would succeed so they were pouring the best of their 30s into it, working like 80-120 hour weeks. As their kid and being conscripted into it ("It's the family business, it's how we make money to live!") I never bought into working so many hours, but I did naturally buy into the business being part of your identity, of who you were.

About 3 years into my first professional job, I'd gone through a lot in terms of pouring myself into the company and treating it like part of who I was. I'd been holding on to too many notions of that "identity" stuff I grew up with and it reached its zenith at some ridiculous situation. I felt ownership over some area of code, someone else got was tasked to work on it, did made changes that I didn't think was "correct", so I re-wrote it. My manager was pretty upset that I'd a) taken working code and b) spent refactoring it into something for my personal whim. He took me into a private conference room to explain why he was so upset and I lost it. I didn't even understand at the time why I broke down, but it was the point when I started to really "wake up" and understand what it meant to work in general. I saw I was putting too much of myself into this...construct that ultimately didn't matter and there was no reward from it. It was after that I started unwinding myself out of this strange belief I'd melded into.

naem
May 29, 2011

^ you get paid money to get paid money, that is all any job is

took me a long time to learn that

by people who either like you (irrationally), or maybe you do a service they don’t want to have to do

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I haven't but in the brief time I worked fast food I saw a couple people cry between the stress of rushes and people just being awful. Be nice to fast food workers

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i think my brain broke like many different times working in the tree service but fortunately the woodchipper was so loud i didn't really feel or hear it, and my face was so sweaty and wearing ear pro so who knows if those were tears

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

20 Blunts posted:

i think my brain broke like many different times working in the tree service but fortunately the woodchipper was so loud i didn't really feel or hear it, and my face was so sweaty and wearing ear pro so who knows if those were tears

I've heard that there's great money in that, but that it's also really dangerous. What tipped you over, do you think?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I had to leave a temp job packing flowers in a greenhouse after 25 minutes because my eyes were watering so hard I couldn't see what I was doing. I did warn the recruitment agency I had hayfever before going in but they said it would be fine, lol

Convex fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 7, 2024

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Hyzenth1ay posted:

I have a double degree in math and computer science. When I got my first big-gal job at Microsoft 25 years ago, I was routed to test work instead of development (female developers were REALLY rare back then, even moreso than now).

I was proud of getting a job in the industry. Yes, I had more than one meeting where someone asked me to make them coffee, or just outright assumed I was an admin. One guy tried to "flirt" with me by trying to guess whose executive assistant I was. Of course, these few blatant issues were piled on top of an ENORMOUS heft of microaggressions: being ignored in meetings, being talked over, not being invited to things I should have been at, being dismissed without merit.

As a tester, I was the person nobody wanted in the room already. In the industry, test work is considered pretty low. One of my coworkers described it as a dental-vibe; that "didn't get into real med school, huh?" kind of thing.

Anyway, after about a year or so of this we got a new program manager. He joined our team from somewhere else at Microsoft, so he'd been in industry for a while.

At our first meeting, he glances at me.

"Oh, it's the little test girl!"

I managed to hold it together long enough to exit the room with some excuse. Went back to my office and just sobbed my eyes out. My boss heard me, and he's a good man. He got the story out of me once I calmed down. As soon as I told him what set me off he got this look of pure rage and leapt up, tear-assing down the hall. He went right to HR and I got an apology from the PM.
:yikes:

Not saying the industry is great with gender stuff nowadays, but that's quite a bit worse than I would have thought for OG tech bubble microsoft. It wasn't *that* long ago.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

naem posted:

sue the living loving poo poo out of them and retire off the money

I have no recorded proof of that conversation. It's he said / she said and I will lose against that corporation.

edit: though I did have a coworker buddy there who got fired for being gay. Yeah, in Portland, OR, in modern times, a tech company fired someone for being gay. Through communications he saved, he was able to prove this in court beyond a shadow of doubt, won, and got a large payout from the company.

I'm telling you, that place is Satan.

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 7, 2024

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
The place I saw most crying at work would have been when I worked in the casino industry and it wasn't from the staff but from a bunch of adults who bet more than they should have and ended up wasting their children's college funds or their rent payments or whatever but it's such a soul sucking job that I'm glad I don't work in that industry anymore

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Beefed Owl posted:

The place I saw most crying at work would have been when I worked in the casino industry and it wasn't from the staff but from a bunch of adults who bet more than they should have and ended up wasting their children's college funds or their rent payments or whatever but it's such a soul sucking job that I'm glad I don't work in that industry anymore

I am posting here too much, I know, but I used to work in the casino industry in the sense I worked on the other end where I scammed the ever-loving christ out of dumbass casinos and made a good living for a while. I saw way too many people who were there seemingly out of delusion, habit, addiction, desperation and were losing more and more money but trying harder and harder to get a win, though. I'm thinking many people who walk into one of those places for the first time will hear all the loud noises and see the flashing lights and fancy machines and cool restaurants and get sucked in. Casinos are an utterly depressing display of the disgusting cracks in humanity, IMO. Even though I made a lot of money, casinos completely suck and I wish they would all die.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Twice in 12 years working in public education. First time was when I was working with a 14 year old girl, and I knew it was her last day at school. She was smart, athletic, kind, just a very sweet kid. We got along well. She was being sent to a boarding school far away from everything she knew because her garbage rich prick parents couldnt deal with her OCD and anxiety. I was helping her with her writing when she started quietly crying and she asked me “when you were a kid, did you ever feel like adults only cared about what you do, but not about you?” All I could say was “yeah.” I had to call another teacher to watch the room while I lost it in the bathroom.

2nd time was after reporting child abuse to my boss. The extra bad kind.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I have a couple of times.

I work in construction as well as manufacturing.
We sometimes got ourselves into a situation where our shop could not produce product quickly enough, and I don’t like letting people down. I’m promising what I can possibly do and they want it faster and I got myself to a point where I couldn’t sleep well and was throwing up on the way to work, and at one point I just kind of broke down.

Then I witnessed a traffic fatality where a lady got hit crossing the street with a 2? Year old in her arms and pushing a stroller. She lived, the kid in the stroller lived. Then I had to go to a jobsite after that to take some measurements and that didn’t go well for me.

Then last year a co worker shot and killed another co worker and I got to hold him while he died while waiting for the police/ambulance to show up. So yeah my job isn’t great and I didn’t think I’d actually post on this thread because I usually don’t talk about this poo poo I just cram it nice and deep and then just have mega depression.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i'm on powerful psychiatric medications so i cry pretty much all the time :smuggo:

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

AFewBricksShy posted:

I have a couple of times.

I work in construction as well as manufacturing.
We sometimes got ourselves into a situation where our shop could not produce product quickly enough, and I don’t like letting people down. I’m promising what I can possibly do and they want it faster and I got myself to a point where I couldn’t sleep well and was throwing up on the way to work, and at one point I just kind of broke down.

Then I witnessed a traffic fatality where a lady got hit crossing the street with a 2? Year old in her arms and pushing a stroller. She lived, the kid in the stroller lived. Then I had to go to a jobsite after that to take some measurements and that didn’t go well for me.

Then last year a co worker shot and killed another co worker and I got to hold him while he died while waiting for the police/ambulance to show up. So yeah my job isn’t great and I didn’t think I’d actually post on this thread because I usually don’t talk about this poo poo I just cram it nice and deep and then just have mega depression.

It's not worth keeping it in. I wish it was easier but, this goes to everybody else in this thread, please talk to someone. Just hurting yourselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Catastrophe posted:

I am posting here too much, I know, but I used to work in the casino industry in the sense I worked on the other end where I scammed the ever-loving christ out of dumbass casinos and made a good living for a while. I saw way too many people who were there seemingly out of delusion, habit, addiction, desperation and were losing more and more money but trying harder and harder to get a win, though. I'm thinking many people who walk into one of those places for the first time will hear all the loud noises and see the flashing lights and fancy machines and cool restaurants and get sucked in. Casinos are an utterly depressing display of the disgusting cracks in humanity, IMO. Even though I made a lot of money, casinos completely suck and I wish they would all die.

i went to a casino for the first time ever a few weeks ago for a comedy show that was being held there. the show was cancelled so my wife and i walked the floor and it was the most surreal thing i've ever seen. a poo poo ton of people camped out at the slot machines, sticking dollar after dollar after dollar into it while the machines flash and roar (literally, there were wolves and bears and poo poo roaring at you on the machines.) I thought well gee, everyone is playing these so there must be something to it, right? i put a dollar in, the machine made a lot of noise, flashed some lights, roared at me and.. that was it. It was really shocking to me that people get taken in by this and spend hours and hours and hundreds (thousands??) of dollars on these things. some people even had like a card around their neck they would scan to play, i guess they load it with cash and play that way but jesus christ, it was really kind of.. gross? and sinister. i was telling a coworker about this and she said "thats why you stay away from the dollar slots and go to the 20 dollar slots" like oh my god?? anyway big props to you for ripping off some casinos