Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Swerve Joe vs Kingdom 1 1.28%
Hook vs Cage 2 2.56%
Killswitch vs Magic 1 1.28%
Riho vs Stat 4 5.13%
Ospreay vs Kyle 70 89.74%
Total: 78 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

DogsInSpace! posted:

So is the Rainmaker going to attack AEW youngbois now? Nick Wayne and the Martins better look out. Loved how the crowd turned on OKADA.

Don’t die Darby

Darby can't die until Okada's had a chance to treat him like Kaito Kiyomiya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Another super fun ep, so much stuff to look forward to over the next couple weeks. Loved Danielson looking thrilled to get to wrestle Will.

Maerlyn posted:

Dropping Okada on just some regular Dynamite instead of at Revolution (or Big Business) was a shock

TV is the primary revenue stream, you gotta make every week can’t miss by occasionally doing big things on regular programming.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Maerlyn posted:

Dropping Okada on just some regular Dynamite instead of at Revolution (or Big Business) was a shock

You're right

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

Darby can't die until Okada's had a chance to treat him like Kaito Kiyomiya

Haha :getin:
If Nick Wayne was a Face I would say him. Poor Darbs.

Really excited for Elite Rainmaker. Tony has created a heck of a promotion. Still wish somehow he could bring in Shinsuke and Kana for at least a brief run but they are retired I guess.

Rewatched the Ospreay/Fletcher match. Jesus. So good.

How is Matt Jackson’s face so punchable?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I loving gasped when the coins dropped. Unreal. I was hoping we’d get Okada soon, but I was thinking “oh Big Business is a shoe-in for you know who so Okada debuting there will be the shock,” Ala Bryan Danielson and Adam Cole years ago.

And having Okada join up as the new Elite heater? Ohhhh buddy this is going to be fun.

I can’t wait until the inevitable backstage segment when it’s Awkward with the Best Friends. Also for Okada to steal the Bucks’ gear.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Okada joining The Elite is inspired. Common Matthew & Nicholas W.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Hooted and hollered all night. TK cutting checks for these sickos to entertain us on week night tv for free is cool and good.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

petition to close the hell thread as its no longer needed - we are Back

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Fite Replay cut off the end of the show, I feel as angry as Bryan Alvarez!

Also holy poo poo, Okada vs. Eddie Kingston yes loving please :hellyeah:

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Hefty Leftist posted:

petition to close the hell thread as its no longer needed - we are Back

I'm hearing this more and more

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Feels good to be All Elite

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1765619103849476172

"Barry Bloom"

"Safest locker-room in the business"

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Thanks for checking my rear end, Matthew.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

"Gotta do what's best for business" and "Can't leave money on the table" are S-tier inclusions there. I'm totally in love with them constantly using the lovely takes all the e-drones are always throwing at them.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

they confirmed okada DID own a red ferrari in japan

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

they accidentally revealed okada's private grievances about only having 600,000 dollars in the bank for shoot. probably the biggest reason he came to aew to finish his career. but i'm glad they managed to correct it. for work

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Shard posted:

I said it in the thread - it's crazy to me that some people out there legit think wrestling used to be better. Tonight just made it crystal clear to me how loving lucky we are. I have never had a weekly show this high quality for wrestling. Not once. It has never been better than now.

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug. I will always have a fondness for the days of tape trading & buying a comp tape put together by someone from Usenet that's just chock full of cool poo poo you might otherwise not have seen. Like I just did a quick Google to find an example and look at how wild & diverse this Phil Schneider Tape listing is, from 1997: https://groups.google.com/g/rec.sport.pro-wrestling/c/_XPfQc7hi4Q?pli=1

But nostalgia means you forget how loving poo poo it was a lot of stuff was, having to wait for tapes to arrive, the ratio of good to bad on TV wrestling was so much lower than it is now, TV matches were so loving short, stuff you'd see from Japan was often clipped to bejesus. I mean even a random episode of Raw these days, despite the interminable runtime, is going to have more good in-ring action, & a higher ratio, than a random '98 or '99 episode, never mind Dynamite or Collision. There's an argument that styles are all a little more homogenous than they were 25/30 years ago, but that's just an inevitable result of the globalisation of wrestling.

So yeah, you're right. Pretty much everything is better, from the accessibility to the affordability to the average in-ring quality to the much lower prominence of gross misogyny & homophobia etc (on TV anyway), the variety. Like, you might personally prefer the peaks of All Japan from the '90s or the stories on the top of the WWF or whatever the gently caress & that's fine, that's personal preference, but as a whole package I don't think there's ever been a better time to be a wrestling fan.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 7, 2024

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I love Okada and Ospreay showing up (and 99.9% Mercedes next week), I just hope Swerve's story doesn't get overlooked or pushed down the card in all the hype. That man deserves the belt and a real run on top.

Since AEW booking isn't WWE booking, however, I have faith.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

CobiWann posted:

I love Okada and Ospreay showing up (and 99.9% Mercedes next week), I just hope Swerve's story doesn't get overlooked or pushed down the card in all the hype. That man deserves the belt and a real run on top.

I think the opening segment (as mixed of feelings as I had on it) pretty much indicated that Swerve is still Next Up. Loudest crowd reactions of the night and the audience is incredibly invested in him.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I think there is a case for how much the anticipation and working to get something made it seem special. Like, objectively I know there were five or six matches on AEW and njpw in the past 5 days that were better than absolutely anything on the "best of Cactus Jack in Japan" tape I paid $20 for in 2002 which took a month to arrive, but I still feel more invested in the one that was tougher to get.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

CobiWann posted:

I feel a lot better about it now (with Okada prob getting the Continental belt and Ospreay/Bryan delaying the Ospreay vs Callis Family stuff) than I did Tuesday. Keep them busy and away from Swerve for a while

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

omega, okada, ospreay, and jay white. has there ever been a roster this good??

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014

JUNGLE BOY posted:

omega, okada, ospreay, and jay white. has there ever been a roster this good??

New Japan's roster when they had those four guys. But they didn't have Bryan Danielson.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
If Wembley gets Okada/Omega I’m going to lose my mind.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Still wondering how/if Will can maintain this pace

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Dango Bango posted:

Posts from 2018

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Dango Bango posted:

he is will, by god, ospreay. of course he can!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Dango Bango posted:

Don't worry about the future. Enjoy how good it is right now. Appreciating what we have right now is the key to happiness and contentment

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

god drat he looks good. thought theyd save this for big bizniz but i guess that's the botcha/goldberg show

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
I don't know who the best wrestler in the world is, but I do know he works for AEW.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

feels like the dark days of aew autumn/winter 2023 are nearly over...

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

ThePariah posted:

I don't know who the best wrestler in the world is, but I do know he works for AEW.

Serpentico will appreciate this

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

fez_machine posted:

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1765619103849476172

"Barry Bloom"

"Safest locker-room in the business"

“Thanks for correcting my rear end” might have to work its way into my vocabulary

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The only problem with the Bucks' TK parody backstage is they were actually smiling instead of obviously trying to grin through raw existential panic, as TK does. Good seg otherwise. I was trying to figure out why Okada and Eddie were on a team before getting Hella Swerved.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Alaois posted:

Wardlow busting it down sexual style, but is he goated with the sauce?

word on the discords is he’s straight bussin

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Oh man I just realized with hangman suspended he won't be able to stop swerve from winning the title which will drive him crazier haha

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1765637255220089099

Matt Taven.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Shard posted:

Oh man I just realized with hangman suspended he won't be able to stop swerve from winning the title which will drive him crazier haha

It rules, too, because he could either go after Swerve immediately or turn babyface again by going after the Elite.

And, depending on how the stars line up, we could potentially get Kenny and Hangman teaming up again out of the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Shard posted:

he's suspended from the elite. we actually don't know his AEW punishment