Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
this has been in the background for a while but ukraine isn't the only amerikkka project exploding due to funding gridlock

Miami Herald posted:

U.S. fears Haiti could fall ‘at any time’ as doubts grow over Biden’s backup Kenya plan

U.S. government officials have grown alarmed that the Haiti National Police could begin to crumble within hours — and that a long-planned multinational mission led by Kenya to provide reinforcements may not be enough to save the country from a complete descent into gang control.

Outgunned Haitian police have been battling a united front of gangs and losing key firefights. Now, a potential power void and a collapse of the Haitian government that had already faced a skeptical public risks undermining whatever morale is left among the police forces.

“The government could fall at any time,” a U.S. official told McClatchy, speaking on the condition of anonymity to candidly discuss the government assessment. “If the HNP dissolves as an effective counterforce, if we see the airport or the presidential palace fall, it’s over.”

The Biden administration is moving urgently to expedite the deployment of a Multinational Security Support mission, or MSS, that has been in the works for over a year and a half. Kenya has pledged to lead the mission and committed 1,000 police officers to the effort last fall.

But the force size of the Haiti National Police is “orders of magnitude less than required,” the U.S. official added. Adding 1,000 more boots on the ground — even if they are well-armed, well-trained, and deployed immediately — is unlikely to meet the demands of the crisis.

The Biden administration has ruled out contributing U.S. forces to the mission, with Pentagon leadership fiercely opposed to any deployment.

“The situation in Port-au-Prince remains extremely fragile as sporadic attacks have continued and all flights in and out of Haiti remain canceled,” United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres’ spokesman Stephane Dujarric said Wednesday. “The Secretary-General reiterates the need for urgent action, including financing for the Multinational Security Support mission, to tackle the security needs of the people of Haiti.”

Dujarric said the United Nations has not been given a time frame for the arrival of the force.

Whenever the MSS does arrive, it remains unclear how Kenyan forces and leadership — who speak English and Swahili —will operate with a French and Creole-language Haitian force. And it has yet to be determined whether the Kenyan-led forces will take static positions at key sites, freeing Haitian police forces to battle gang members elsewhere, or if the Kenyans would fight alongside their Haitian partners.

It is not even clear whether the MSS, in partnership with the Haitian police, is large enough to reclaim any of the critical infrastructure already under gang control or neighborhoods across the capital that have led to more than 314,000 Haitians being displaced from their homes.

Though the total force size of the MSS has been quoted at roughly 2,500, neither the U.N. nor the United States has given a tally of how many police officers would be involved in the entire operation. And forces are not expected to deploy all at the same time. U.N. officials said last week that five countries, in addition to Kenya, have confirmed they will send personnel.

A State Department official told McClatchy the entire Biden administration had been “seized with this issue” on Wednesday, with Secretary of State Antony Blinken joining meetings with leadership at the White House and National Security Council.

“How much time do we have to do this? This was urgent two years ago. It’s incredibly urgent now,” a senior administration official told McClatchy and the Miami Herald. “The situation in Haiti is as critical a humanitarian and security crisis as we’re facing around the world.”

“Every day is too long,” the official added. “We have to move faster. That’s all I can say. We’ve got to move as quickly as possible.”

The state of Haiti’s U.S.-financed police force has long been a concern of the United Nations and other international partners. Some have expressed concern that the police may be less determined to keep fighting if they do not know who is in charge.

The U.N. Security Council met behind closed doors on Wednesday to discuss the rapidly deteriorating security crisis. Diplomats focused on the coordinated attacks that have forced U.N. officials to reposition aircraft, and consider an air bridge with the neighboring Dominican Republic should the situation further deteriorate. But the country’s political crisis also came up.

Biden administration officials and Caribbean leaders have been pushing for Prime Minister Ariel Henry, who recently finalized an agreement for the MSS, to cede power to a transitional government and resign.

Dujarric, the spokesman for Guterres, told reporters in New York on Wednesday that Haiti’s health infrastructure is on the brink of collapse.

“Port-au-Prince’s main public hospital has closed due to violence and the inability of staff to actually get to the hospital to support the people who need help,” he said. “The main hospitals receiving wounded civilians are overloaded, partly due to the number injured. There is an urgent need for blood products in the country.”
Push for political transition

White House and State Department spokespeople pushed back against a Herald report published Wednesday morning that revealed the administration had asked Haiti’s prime minister to resign as part of an “expedited” transition of power.

A U.S. government document obtained by the Herald and shared with Henry on Tuesday proposed, among other things, that he “step down as interim president and prime minister when the new governing structures have been established and the prime minister appointed or the MSS has deployed, whichever is first.”

Linda Thomas Greenfield, the U.S. ambassador to the U.N., acknowledged to reporters later in the morning that the administration had asked Henry to move forward with the formation of a transitional council — a mechanism that would involve the appointment of an interim prime minister to replace Henry, compelling his resignation.

“What we’ve asked the Haitian prime minister to do is move forward on a political process that will lead to the establishment of a presidential transitional council that will lead to elections,” Greenfield said. “We think that is urgent.”

The senior administration official confirmed to McClatchy that the State Department had proposed Henry “agree to step down” after a presidential transition was in place or the MSS was deployed. “We’re asking him to do that at a future time,” he said, while noting the administration is pressing for the MSS to deploy as soon as possible — perhaps in a matter of days.

Biden’s team has lost faith in Henry’s ability to lead after repeated, “pointed” conversations with the prime minister over his “unwillingness to cede real power” in a democratic transition, the official added. Asked whether the administration could envision a scenario in which Henry remained in authority, the official said, “I find that unlikely.”

The issue of Henry’s fate and the Herald report were raised in the U.N. Security Council meeting, where several countries expressed support for the prime minister — and concerns about the timing of the U.S. proposal and whether it might complicate the MSS deployment.

“We continue to deal with Mr. Henry as the prime minister of Haiti,” Dujarric said ahead of the three-hour meeting. “I think, as we said, it is important that everyone in Haiti – all stakeholders, everyone, political actors and others – work towards first of all restoring safety, and supporting Haitian institutions.”

The transition plan, requiring Henry’s ouster, had been presented by Caribbean leaders to Henry in Guyana last week. Henry rejected it at the time, before the Biden administration endorsed it.

The plan is similar to a proposal drawn up by opposition figures in Haiti and by three former Caribbean prime ministers, a group referred to as the Eminent Persons Group, charged with finding a solution to the political impasse.

Caribbean leaders had requested Henry’s presence in Jamaica on Wednesday, where he was expected to accept the proposal.

Henry would empower a High Transition Council to negotiate a transitional government under the plan, either with an expanded council or a “presidential college” representing political parties, private sector and civil society. At the same time, Caribbean and U.S. officials were holding talks with Haitians to find an agreement on the finer details of who would compose the new structure.

On Wednesday, Guyana President Mohamed Irfaan Ali, who currently chairs the 15-member regional bloc known as CARICOM, acknowledged that efforts to find a consensus among key Haitian players still had not succeeded.

“We have been working on this around the clock for the last three days,” he said in a video. “Despite many, many meetings, we have not been able to reach any form of consensus between the government and the respective stakeholders, the opposition, the private sector, civil society and religious organizations.”

It remains unclear whether Henry will accept the proposal to resign. He had been working on a plan of his own, which involves staying on as prime minister, but enlarging the High Transition Council with a presidential panel to participate more in the decision-making.

For now, he remains in Puerto Rico, while commercial flights into his country remain suspended.

“We are going to continue to work with CARICOM — because I think it’s important to make clear that it’s not the United States acting alone with this regard, it’s the United States in consultation with partners in the region having these conversations,” State Department spokesperson Matthew Miller told reporters on Wednesday. “And what we are saying to the prime minister is that he needs to expedite the transition to empowered and inclusive governance, including the appointment of a transition council. So that’s what we’ll continue to discuss with him.”

Though Caribbean leaders last week called for Henry to step aside, they ultimately offered him a compromise in Guyana last week. They took note of his commitment to hold elections no later than August 2025, and said they would work with international partners, including the U.N., to do so. They also called for a consensus among Haitians.

That was last Wednesday. On Thursday, as Henry was arriving in Kenya to sign a deal for the MSS, gangs launched their attack.

CARICOM reverted to its old plan within a week — a move seen as a betrayal by those close to Henry. This time, the United States was on board.

lol this is the guy the U.S. killed his opponent to get him in right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

they're setting all the police stations in the capital on fire and besieging the airport but I'm sure 1000 foreign cops will turn this whole thing around

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

the 1000 cops will join the other gangs soon as they arrive

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

2500 police is about how many officers are in just austin texas. there's no way that's adequate to hold the capital even with 1000 extra foreign soldiers, and absolutely zero chance of expanding their zone of control

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

heres a fun video of BBQ threatening to kill someone in the middle of an interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p95xlGnOotk&t=100s

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

What's the tone of this event? Funny? Sad? Good? How should I feel about this? It's based, right? It's not cringe? It doesn't seem cringe but who knows these days

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Honky Mao posted:

What's the tone of this event? Funny? Sad? Good? How should I feel about this? It's based, right? It's not cringe? It doesn't seem cringe but who knows these days

bbq is a gang leader, which is just cutting out the middleman of haitian politicians hiring gang leaders to enforce their policies

chris hedges seems to think hes a revolutionary tho:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmu3qdtH7LE

also his legitimacy rests on series of alliances and ceasefires with other gangs so idk how that would work longterm if he actually takes power

Bro Dad has issued a correction as of 18:30 on Mar 7, 2024

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

with a name like BBQ it's almost impossible to be against him

(unless you're vegan I guess)

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Honky Mao posted:

The easy way to figure out the answer to this is to just look up what the various Western/NATO foreign bureaus are saying and then assume the opposite is true. If the American or British diplomats are calling this a violation of the international rules based order then it's about 99% safe to assume that actually whatever is happening is good

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

All I heard was setting police stations on fire and now I know where to vacation.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Would like to take a moment and say to the person on the av-buying spree: What the fuck is wrong with you? Fucking disagreeing on the wording of polling questions means that I support Israel murdering people in Gaza? And somehow despite caring enough to plaster that fucking pic

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

i say swears online posted:

2500 police is about how many officers are in just austin texas. there's no way that's adequate to hold the capital even with 1000 extra foreign soldiers, and absolutely zero chance of expanding their zone of control

I'm not sure about that. I can't find anything even hinting at the size of these gangs and I suppose nobody outside the country really knows. However there is something to be said for military discipline in promoting the effectiveness of a fighting force, and as you say, these Kenyan cops are basically military.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
A (US) army vet friend of mine was deployed to Haiti after the earthquake in 2010 , and he claims he got shot at more over the course of a few weeks in Haiti than he did during his tour in Iraq. I don't think the gangs will give a gently caress about some Kenyan cops if they were shooting at American military personnel when their country was in literal pieces

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Weka posted:

I'm not sure about that. I can't find anything even hinting at the size of these gangs and I suppose nobody outside the country really knows. However there is something to be said for military discipline in promoting the effectiveness of a fighting force, and as you say, these Kenyan cops are basically military.

looks like there's about thee miles between the presidential palace and the international airport. that's a lot for 1000 people, trained or no

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Hirsute posted:

A (US) army vet friend of mine was deployed to Haiti after the earthquake in 2010 , and he claims he got shot at more over the course of a few weeks in Haiti than he did during his tour in Iraq. I don't think the gangs will give a gently caress about some Kenyan cops if they were shooting at American military personnel when their country was in literal pieces

Lol I think these Kenyans are probably much better at their jobs than the average American army infantry.

i say swears online posted:

looks like there's about thee miles between the presidential palace and the international airport. that's a lot for 1000 people, trained or no

If they are just going to use them as an armed guard for Henry then sure. If they use them more proactively to go after these armed groups I think they could have more of an impact.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Crusty Nutsack posted:

with a name like BBQ it's almost impossible to be against him

(unless you're vegan I guess)

let him cook

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
A former Kenyan soldier told me a story about his squad being out, living in the woods and they eventually ran out of smokes. One guy had a bunch squirreled away and he would sneak up into a tree and smoke them instead of sharing. The squad caught him one night and killed him with a machete for not sharing and being "deceiver"

Weka posted:

Lol I think these Kenyans are probably much better at their jobs than the average American army infantry.

Fighting is the one thing you can guarantee an infantryman to be good at, idk what reality you exist in lol

500excf type r has issued a correction as of 00:03 on Mar 8, 2024

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
(blowing away un troop) i just wanna grill for god sakes

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

HallelujahLee posted:

the 1000 cops will join the other gangs soon as they arrive

Assuredly

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Homeless Friend posted:

(blowing away un troop) i just wanna grill for god sakes

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

500excf type r posted:

Fighting is the one thing you can guarantee an infantryman to be good at, idk what reality you exist in lol

I wouldn’t take that bet

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I wouldn’t take that bet

There are a lot of reasons to lol at the power projection capacity and material logistics of the us military or clown on the stereotype of the us infantryman and his dodge challenger but none of those things involve their individual ability to fight man to man and you would be a fool to think that

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

i dont know the only thing they seem to be good at is killing civilians

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

500excf type r posted:

There are a lot of reasons to lol at the power projection capacity and material logistics of the us military or clown on the stereotype of the us infantryman and his dodge challenger but none of those things involve their individual ability to fight man to man and you would be a fool to think that

This is extremely incorrect

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
type r

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Weka posted:

good on them masking up for the trip

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Weka posted:

nice Mileena cosplay mask

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

HashtagGirlboss posted:

This is extremely incorrect

[Citation needed]

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

burger infantry (with unlimited air support) cant even win a fight against hillbillies with 50 year old ak-47's but yes they're fighting machines

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

500excf type r posted:

[Citation needed]

Very little training time is put into man to man fighting for infantry guys. Will there be infantry guys who know how to fight? Of course. Will the guys in the infantry who don’t really know how to fight learn it by being in the infantry? Not in the same way they’ll learn a ton of other things that infantry training actually focuses on

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

500excf type r posted:

A former Kenyan soldier told me a story about his squad being out, living in the woods and they eventually ran out of smokes. One guy had a bunch squirreled away and he would sneak up into a tree and smoke them instead of sharing. The squad caught him one night and killed him with a machete for not sharing and being "deceiver"

stupid reason to kill, stupid reason to die

Vox Nihili posted:

nice Mileena cosplay mask

it looks like he's jumping down from the truck but he is actually teleport kicking, having started from ground level

Spergin Morlock has issued a correction as of 01:31 on Mar 8, 2024

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

500excf type r posted:

[Citation needed]

Can do.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

No one involved with this was an infantryman

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

500excf type r posted:

No one involved with this was an infantryman

please gently caress off tia

also the gangs have taken the port, and with the border closures this means the country is completely sealed. henry is now stuck in puerto rico

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2024/03/07/haiti-gangs-port/

Weka
May 5, 2019

Heck yeah!

500excf type r posted:

[Citation needed]

They keep losing wars and it is probably not because of a lack of air support or logistical tail. Over reliant on this sort of support, which they would not have in Haiti because it is nominally a police action.

Somebody post the crying soldiers being shelled

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Homeless Friend posted:

this has been in the background for a while but ukraine isn't the only amerikkka project exploding due to funding gridlock

lol this is the guy the U.S. killed his opponent to get him in right?

quote:

Whenever the MSS does arrive, it remains unclear how Kenyan forces and leadership — who speak English and Swahili —will operate with a French and Creole-language Haitian force.

absolutely stunning work. great job everyone

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

is there a reason kenya is involved beyond the us not having the pull with any french-speaking countries for something this asinine

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

So is this another Clinton success story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luv2shit
May 15, 2023