Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The gangs are heavily composed of ex/current police. My guess is the weapons went to the police and the police funneled them down to the gangs. BBQ himself was police, that's probably where a good chunk of his collection came from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
put bbq in charge

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

slave to my cravings posted:

put bbq in charge

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

slave to my cravings posted:

put bbq in charge

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

you don't make friends with salad

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Bro Dad posted:

yo dog i heard you like transitional governments

the people are rising up because they believe they are being robbed and starved by a shadowy cabal controlled by foreign interests.
the solution, an open cabal that has to pledge allegiance to foreign interests

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

very democratic

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

hes probably not anything like a marxist or even "good" for haiti but hes talking about redistributing wealth so theyd nuke port au prince before they let bbq have power

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

yea he’s gonna get got before the end of march

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

But if the NED is backing the incumbent president, and was responsible for getting BBQ kicked out of the federal police, why would the US arm his guys too?

It's been a while since this discussion last came up so my memory is a little hazy. But afaik the gangs were originally enforcers for the US puppets rule. BBQ himself was a police chief and the police and gangs worked in tandem to maintain the status quo.

It's gotten messy since the assassination of the previous puppet, with them now working againzt the US

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/3/12/haitis-prime-minister-ariel-henry-has-resigned-guyana-president

quote:

Haiti’s Prime Minister Ariel Henry has tendered his resignation and appealed for calm as the country descends into chaos.

The 74-year-old announced he would step aside late on Monday following an emergency meeting of regional nations.

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken was also at the summit and promised an additional $100m for a United Nations-backed force to stabilise the country as well as $30m in humanitarian assistance.

It would be tasked with meeting the “immediate needs” of Haitian people, enabling the security mission’s deployment and creating security conditions necessary for free elections, Blinken said.

Love to recruit mercenaries to secure elections.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

i was skimming articles and its looking like kenya is becoming squeamish about sending the 1000 cops

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

that 100 million would be enough to put in place an extensive and sustainable food security program in place which would go a long way towards relieving the conflict. instead, they want to serve more conflict

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Bbq seems like a shady character, and i dont know too much about Haiti. But if the goal is less violence and chaos its probably a good thing if the person nominally in charge of the state is the same person who can actually control the streets.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Bro Dad posted:

unintended side-benefit of having the world's largest prison system is you can summon hosed up killers to take over other countries like you're a power rangers villain

The "suicide squad" solution

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

haiti : OMGWTFBBQ

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"
So I guess a US invasion of Haiti is imminent.

Sorry, "intervention" at the invitation of Haiti's "government"

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
US is too busy intervening in Ukraine and Palestine. They haven't the resources to get involved in another war.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
the USA doesn't even have the resources to get involved in the two wars it's already in!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

most importantly they cant bring anything heavy to bear, so the plan is to retake haiti via foreign mercenaries with drones and small arms which uhhhh good luck to them

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
https://twitter.com/SpiritofLenin/status/1767637241977885101?t=QQOEymCpT_2L5Mmds96aaw&s=19

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

They really want to send the army to stop these "gangs"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV8DrTbws4k

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

vote bbq no matter who

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

VoicesCanBe posted:

So I guess a US invasion of Haiti is imminent.

Sorry, "intervention" at the invitation of Haiti's "government"

Stack this on top of Venezuela, Bolivia, the US unable to put their thumb on the scale hard enough for Bolsonaro in Brasil, poo poo is really falling apart for the empire in its own back yard.

Al! posted:

most importantly they cant bring anything heavy to bear, so the plan is to retake haiti via foreign mercenaries with drones and small arms which uhhhh good luck to them

They couldn't give a poo poo about the people that live there, I'm sure they just want to drone strike Cherizier and the other leaders, and then deal with the aftermath sometime down the road.

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.
lol

https://twitter.com/SpiritofLenin/status/1767637241977885101?t=GvN8UWm8YBZoR5t4qKZUIA&s=19

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Kenya pauses Haiti mission following doubts

quote:

STORY: Kenya’s government did an about-face on Tuesday, announcing it was pausing a long-delayed deployment of Kenyan police officers to tackle spiraling violence in Haiti.

Only 11 days ago, Haitian Prime Minister Ariel Henry and Kenyan President William Ruto signed an agreement that Ruto said would fast-track the deployment of the officers to the Caribbean nation.

The jarring turn of events leaves the future of the U.N.-backed, multinational mission for Haiti in serious doubt.

Kenya's decided this is not a good idea after all.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Cool

https://twitter.com/JakobJohnston/status/1767555857120633040?t=b2QmZxTZbicfJTsl6cyUQQ&s=19

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/Southcom/status/1767786773512343670?t=amHCNTiWUCd8mXytTlhJhw&s=19

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

but i thought it was evacuated

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

No, no. This time when we're sending the Marines to Haiti, it's for good reasons, and only a handful. :dumb:

e: Why the gently caress does the US Embassy in Canada have a platoon of Marine guards if they needed to send additional marines to Haiti? I realize photo ops and dress blues or whatever, but I'm confused about what the point is if the (evacuated?) US embassy in Haiti needed a fleet level asset deployed there?

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica
bbq finna cook em

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

No, no. This time when we're sending the Marines to Haiti, it's for good reasons, and only a handful. :dumb:

e: Why the gently caress does the US Embassy in Canada have a platoon of Marine guards if they needed to send additional marines to Haiti? I realize photo ops and dress blues or whatever, but I'm confused about what the point is if the (evacuated?) US embassy in Haiti needed a fleet level asset deployed there?

embassy guards don't have the required coup facilitation and death squad training

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
hopefully all of america's mercs get merked

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

I believe historically spending all your money on mercenary armies is a healthy sign for an empire right?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

OhFunny posted:

Kenya pauses Haiti mission following doubts

Kenya's decided this is not a good idea after all.

lol they suddenly got cold feet when they realized theyd be taking 80% losses, as was the united states plan. i do the same thing in crusader kings all the time

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Zedhe Khoja posted:

hopefully all of america's mercs get merked

god is good

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Haiti should merge with Cuba and start a Caribbean communist bloc

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Scarabrae posted:

BBQs workin on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Scarabrae posted:

sure, get venezuela in there too so they can get some heavy industry and steel production in there