Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

I'm fine coming back later and looking at guys like Nix or Pennix although him being a lefty with bad knees scares me but looking in later rounds or pushing it off a year is not an idea I hate. When I see Daniels and Maye at 3 all I think about are Trubinsky, Jake Locker, Dwayne Haskins, Josh Rosen, Marcus Mariota, Bortles etc.

Give me the almost cant miss WR prospect that can give me 10 good years that makes my team as it is infinitely better vs rolling the dice and going "Welp, hope this guy doesn't suck"

Need I remind you about Round: 6 / Pick: 199 in 2000?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?

Don't forget Round 7 / Pick 262 in 2022. Draft a guy you are high on and see what happens. Just preferably in the later rounds and use your high picks on blue chip prospects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Idk this seems p definitive guys

https://twitter.com/colleenwolfe/status/1773465486983848348?s=46&t=Q9JsEynxHxZ9F2lOwU2Uuw

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

mcmagic posted:

When you draft a QB into a lovely roster you end up with the same interminable arguments about if he's playing bad because he sucks or because he has no talent around him for pretty much his whole rookie contract.

I think good young QBs on bad teams tend to at least show enough to keep them around. Stroud was supposed to be going to a team with an awful roster. Kyler Murray as a rookie on a team that previously had 3 wins only got the same team to 5 wins but he threw for nearly a 1000 more yards than the team had the previous season.

I think if your in love with a QB, go for it. But don’t trade up if your plan is just to draft whoever falls to you.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

I just received word that I am the GM for the TFF draft. Any objection if we use this thread as our war room?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

This sucks. Poor Connie.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I mean that was a pretty dumb thing to do. I hope she doesn’t get fired though.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Amy Pole Her posted:

https://x.com/PFF_Dolphins/status/1769048739119870057?s=20

Each team was graded on their "best" and "worst" FA move. Miamis best was Fuller, which got an A+ grade. Miami didn't have a worst.

lmao that their scale for fit/need goes from C to A+++

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The pats are taking a QB they aren’t going into the season with the Zapp attack

Whether that’s a good idea is another matter

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

The pats are taking a QB they aren’t going into the season with the Zapp attack

Whether that’s a good idea is another matter

I mean they aren't anyway, they signed Jacoby Brissett.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Kalli posted:

I mean they aren't anyway, they signed Jacoby Brissett.

You just assume Brisset is going to get hurt and won’t finish the season

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

To play devil's advocate, the thing is when is the next time the Patriots will be sitting with a #3 draft pick in their hot little hands?

Probably next year if they don't start a QB! That offence friggin stinks

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I think next year is considered to be a worse QB draft than this year if you're looking for reasons TO draft one.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Yeah but that doesn’t mean much. People always rise or break out into top prospects.

Neither Jayden Daniels or McCarthy were considered 1st rounders prior to this season.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

And 2021 was supposedly a really strong QB draft.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Diva Cupcake posted:

Yeah but that doesn’t mean much. People always rise or break out into top prospects.

Neither Jayden Daniels or McCarthy were considered 1st rounders prior to this season.

Pats fans in here also don’t think those guys are worth drafting because they aren’t blue chip prospects so waiting another year for another flawed prospect who rises late doesn’t seem like it’ll solve that.

fsif posted:

And 2021 was supposedly a really strong QB draft.

And people were saying for a full year that 2022 was going to be pretty bad, and it was.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i think the supply and quality of qbs in any given draft is more or less consistent and teams are reaching more often because of the importance of the position, and the draft industrial complex has a vested interest in seeing more quarterbacks talked about because there's more tape and more to analyze

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I want them to draft Maye, but even if they end up with Daniels I don't think either one is playing much/at all this year. Jacoby and/or Zappe are there to be human shields and get out of the way when the time comes

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Nodoze posted:

I want them to draft Maye, but even if they end up with Daniels I don't think either one is playing much/at all this year. Jacoby and/or Zappe are there to be human shields and get out of the way when the time comes

This basically never happens unless the rookie QB is really bad. And even then they still usually play!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah if they take a QB at 3 I can’t see him riding the bench much if at all. You don’t spend that kind of capital not to use it.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

fsif posted:

This basically never happens unless the rookie QB is really bad. And even then they still usually play!

I think it's pretty clear Brisset is going to start the year as the starter unless the rookie just blows him out of the water in camp. The OL right now is still uh, let's say questionable, and they don't have great receivers either depending on what happens with the draft. They'd really be throwing him into the fire

Remember that Justin Herbert was supposed to chill on the bench for a while until the team doctor punctured Tyrods lung

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
of all the teams in the top 3 the Pats are the only one where it'd make sense to trade out for a boatload of picks. that roster is just loving brutal right now and I dont think any of the available QBs is going to make it look any better

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Relentlessboredomm posted:

of all the teams in the top 3 the Pats are the only one where it'd make sense to trade out for a boatload of picks. that roster is just loving brutal right now and I dont think any of the available QBs is going to make it look any better

And that's why you take MHJ like I've been saying.

I'm also fine Vikings trade for the haul of picks.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I think the point about the 2021 draft is very relevant. It was a strong QB draft, but most of the qbs either got damaged by garbage coaching and rosters (or catastrophic injury). You can still absolutely see the potential in Lawrence and Fields, but garbage fire coaching and rosters has massively slowed their development

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

And that's why you take MHJ like I've been saying.

I'm also fine Vikings trade for the haul of picks.

yea i'd do the vikings trade. get a functional team built first. while the true top tier guys can elevate a dead roster if its a qb that requires actual development or even a dude who's good but not top 3 they'll get destroyed on that roster. it's time to just restock in general, lord knows the pats will still have a high pick next year too

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

MHJ would be the worst of the 3 options [him, QB, or trade down]

Odunze and Nabers are ridiculous players who are already sometimes mocked as going before MHJ (lying season, I know)

And you need a LT just as bad as a good WR

So if they don't like one of the QBs, give me the tradeback. Giants preferably - if it's the Vikings, I'd want better than the 49ers Lance trade to feel happy about it given the circumstances (11 puts you out of range of all 3 top WRs and top 2 LTs)

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
My Hot Take is the Pats should go QB if they really think their scouting says the future of the franchise is there for the taking. But taking one just because you need a QB and have a high pick is super bad and dumb, especially when the whole offense roster sucks too.

:geno:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Taking a WR at 3 is stupid when you have many holes and it's a really good QB draft and need one. WR is a deep class this year, they can still get someone better than on the current roster in the 2nd round and maybe the 3rd lol.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Nosre posted:

Nodoze posted:

Taking a WR at 3 is stupid when you have many holes and it's a really good QB draft and need one. WR is a deep class this year, they can still get someone better than on the current roster in the 2nd round and maybe the 3rd lol.

I will be accepting apologies in December when MHJ has a Chase like rookie season and the Pats have 4 wins and one of the 5 worst ranked offenses in the league with a rookie QB.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

The pats O is probably going to be that any way they go, there's just too many holes to fix it in one offseason

But you have to find a QB at some point, and now's a good match up of draft spot + quality of the class

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Nosre posted:

Odunze and Nabers are ridiculous players who are already sometimes mocked as going before MHJ (lying season, I know)

MHJ is very much better than those 2 and is the player who should go number 2 overall

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Sure, like I said it's lying season.

But we still have so many holes I'd much rather have Odunze/Nabers PLUS a top tackle or other need vs. just MHJ

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
People from the Pats have already expressed multiple times how much they think this is a "rare" opportunity to draft this high and get a QB. I think this is an organizational failure to understand just how bad they currently are, and how long it will take to fix. Two decades of sustained success has broken their brains and they don't seem to quite get that they're extremely likely to be drafting in the top 10 against next season, if not higher. That is what happens to bad teams, they get picks like this frequently. The best way to fix yourself is to take BPA and not reach for players because you really really want that shiny QB NOW.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I do take their point though that they could be real bad but end up picking 5th in a 1 or 2 QB draft.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Or a zero QB draft, like we just had in 2022.

Like everyone always says "someone will rise and be worth it!" but the opposite happens all the time too where good prospects turn out to suck. Spencer Rattler was projected to be better than he's ended up in this year, for instance

Nosre fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Mar 29, 2024

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I will be accepting apologies in December when MHJ has a Chase like rookie season and the Pats have 4 wins and one of the 5 worst ranked offenses in the league with a rookie QB.

I'm not saying he is going to be a bad player but how much is he going to do with Bailey Zappe lol. He's gonna end up with Kyler who can actually get him the ball

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I promise you no one who watched Spencer rattler thought the noise about him being a top pick was real. It was just these weird national draft people just saying poo poo for clicks and thats what it is most of the time when a qb goes from projected top pick to out of the first

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Nodoze posted:

I think it's pretty clear Brisset is going to start the year as the starter unless the rookie just blows him out of the water in camp. The OL right now is still uh, let's say questionable, and they don't have great receivers either depending on what happens with the draft. They'd really be throwing him into the fire

Remember that Justin Herbert was supposed to chill on the bench for a while until the team doctor punctured Tyrods lung

I mean, remember Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Deshaun Watson, Tua, Anthony Richardson, and even Will freaking Levis were supposed to chill on the bench but ended their rookie seasons as their respective teams' starters. Even if Tyrod never got hurt (not really his MO these days), he probably would have been benched eventually unless his play kept the Chargers in playoff contention.

The only first round QBs of the past decade or so that didn't get serious looks as starters in their rookie seasons were Paxton Lynch, Patrick Mahomes, and Jordan Love. Unless the Pats have a locked in starter-caliber QB (or Maye/Daniels/McCarthy look Paxton Lynch bad), there will be immense pressure to see what they have in their #3 overall pick.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I wanted to make the point that if the Dolphins couldn’t even resist throwing Tua out there after 6 games coming off a massive injury and with no off-season to learn, that every young QB will play, but….

Not every team is as dumb as the Dolphins.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

fsif posted:

I mean, remember Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Deshaun Watson, Tua, Anthony Richardson, and even Will freaking Levis were supposed to chill on the bench but ended their rookie seasons as their respective teams' starters. Even if Tyrod never got hurt (not really his MO these days), he probably would have been benched eventually unless his play kept the Chargers in playoff contention.

The only first round QBs of the past decade or so that didn't get serious looks as starters in their rookie seasons were Paxton Lynch, Patrick Mahomes, and Jordan Love. Unless the Pats have a locked in starter-caliber QB (or Maye/Daniels/McCarthy look Paxton Lynch bad), there will be immense pressure to see what they have in their #3 overall pick.

They aren't winning poo poo and most reasonable fans know the roster is devoid of talent on the offensive side of the ball, it doesn't matter if Maye or Daniels end up sitting the entire season if it keeps them from getting killed behind a bad OL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Nodoze posted:

They aren't winning poo poo and most reasonable fans know the roster is devoid of talent on the offensive side of the ball, it doesn't matter if Maye or Daniels end up sitting the entire season if it keeps them from getting killed behind a bad OL

That's just not how it's worked in recent history.

It's a nice thought in the offseason but when you actually go through the season and you have week after week of subpar play from Brissett, eventually pressure builds from the fans, the media, the locker room, and likely ownership to mark it as a lost season anyway and "see what the kid can do." Otherwise, a new narrative of "just how bad must Drake Maye look in practice?" begins to build (see: Jared Goff).

It's just another version of "we don't practice hosed!" It seems sensible in the abstract but it's not tenable when you're actually living through the real season.