Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
It's 2024 now, all of these teams are bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I'm fine with bringing back Henry, they need someone to catch passes and JuJu/Parker are completely worthless

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Zappe is such a clown, he thinks he's hot poo poo and played even worse than Jones did

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Enough people have said with 1000% certainty that MHJr is a slam dunk sure thing that it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up not being one

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Don't let the door hit you on the way out

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Kalli posted:

I presume this was posted, but still, perfectly encapsulates the Parker experience:

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1765774912307011681

"I call them 80/20 balls"

Yeah about that

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

TheBizzness posted:

Every free agency from now until the end of time is going to be like this.

Get rid of the franchise tag and make free agency fun

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Getting rid of Parker is addition by subtraction but it'd be nice to get an actual receiver in too...

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

stuker posted:

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1767721425421373871

lmao there is absolutely no way someone turned down 2yrs for $11m guaranteed/$15m total for a 1yr $3m deal with escalators

uche is 25, even if he wants a prove it contract the 2yr offer easily suffices

Pure agent fluff, no way someone offered that and he said no

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

fsif posted:

I think he'll be relatively cheap. Look at what Nuk Hopkins commanded last offseason. Hopkins is the better player and had a cleaner bill of health.

Hopkins did get popped for a PED suspension though

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Pats don't have a #1 or a #2 receiver right now

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I hope this is just posturing and he isn't for real

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Zolak trying to talk up JJ McCarthy now. Kill me

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I want them to draft Maye, but even if they end up with Daniels I don't think either one is playing much/at all this year. Jacoby and/or Zappe are there to be human shields and get out of the way when the time comes

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

fsif posted:

This basically never happens unless the rookie QB is really bad. And even then they still usually play!

I think it's pretty clear Brisset is going to start the year as the starter unless the rookie just blows him out of the water in camp. The OL right now is still uh, let's say questionable, and they don't have great receivers either depending on what happens with the draft. They'd really be throwing him into the fire

Remember that Justin Herbert was supposed to chill on the bench for a while until the team doctor punctured Tyrods lung

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Taking a WR at 3 is stupid when you have many holes and it's a really good QB draft and need one. WR is a deep class this year, they can still get someone better than on the current roster in the 2nd round and maybe the 3rd lol.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

I will be accepting apologies in December when MHJ has a Chase like rookie season and the Pats have 4 wins and one of the 5 worst ranked offenses in the league with a rookie QB.

I'm not saying he is going to be a bad player but how much is he going to do with Bailey Zappe lol. He's gonna end up with Kyler who can actually get him the ball

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

fsif posted:

I mean, remember Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Deshaun Watson, Tua, Anthony Richardson, and even Will freaking Levis were supposed to chill on the bench but ended their rookie seasons as their respective teams' starters. Even if Tyrod never got hurt (not really his MO these days), he probably would have been benched eventually unless his play kept the Chargers in playoff contention.

The only first round QBs of the past decade or so that didn't get serious looks as starters in their rookie seasons were Paxton Lynch, Patrick Mahomes, and Jordan Love. Unless the Pats have a locked in starter-caliber QB (or Maye/Daniels/McCarthy look Paxton Lynch bad), there will be immense pressure to see what they have in their #3 overall pick.

They aren't winning poo poo and most reasonable fans know the roster is devoid of talent on the offensive side of the ball, it doesn't matter if Maye or Daniels end up sitting the entire season if it keeps them from getting killed behind a bad OL

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Pick whatever of Maye or Daniels is there at three, no WR

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

It wasn't just injuries

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Buffalo is probably in the 9-7 first round exit or beat a worse wild card team and lose round 2 to the good teams area for the next few years while they re-stock

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I'd rather roll with Mac Jones again than JJ McCarthy

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

As long as they draft MHJ @ 3 Im happy. We are instantly a better team right away than taking a rookie QB and starting him with no offensive talent to make him successful.

The QB they take isn't starting, so that doesn't matter. Taking a WR at 3 in a deep QB draft when you have no QB is stupid, especially when it's also a deep WR draft

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If they are stupid and take Maye he will be starting by week 5 when they're 0-5 or 1-4

Taking Maye isnt stupid and having him sit all or most of the year isn't dumb either. They are gonna be mediocre at best next year even if they take Marv, and then they still need a QB

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Nosre posted:

All these questions about the Pats starting, ruining, sitting a guy all come down to one thing: Have they fixed the offensive staff?

Because if they have and can develop, scheme up a friendly system, and cobble together a non-tire fire line, then there's plenty of examples for you to argue for whichever path you want for a rookie QB 1) starting immediately 2) being eased in at some point 3) sitting the whole year

If they haven't, then none of this really matters and we'll be waiting another 2-3 years for Mayo and Wolf to get fired before doing it again.

The entire offensive staff is different, and we said this last year so I am probably jinxing it, and can't be any worse than last year

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Posts like these make me question if people actually follow football or the trends in the league that over teams have done. You do NOT take a QB #3 (let alone 1 or 2) and stash them on the bench for a year and hope that at the start of their "sophomore" year they take over and have all the issues that caused them to be sat in the first are placed magically fixed.

If we take MHJ this team is INSTANTLY better the second they call his name at the podium. It doesn't matter if Jacoby/Bailey (or some other QB drafted 2-7 is throwing to him.) Defensive coaches now have to plan for MJH and that opens up lines for our TE's and already lovely WRs to not be focused on as #1 threats. As the team currently sits there is no DC in the league sitting at their desk thinking "Ok, so what's the gameplan to contain Kendrick Bourne/JJSS and Tyquan Thorton this week. The last 2 years are proof of that.

You guys who want Maye 3rd and your only legitimate reason for it is "Well we need a QB" or "We're never drafting this high again" are going look real silly when we're drafting in the top 5 again next year.

Again, this is a really deep WR draft and a really good QB draft. Next year is not a good QB draft at at all. Good receivers have been increasingly easier to get, that is not the case for QBs.

Bill isn't picking anymore, maybe they can actually draft a receiver now instead of a Rutgers safety

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Getting mad about an obviously nonsense statement, smh

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/BreeceH/status/1781079357190033635

I need to know which series he's talking about lol

No matter which one he is talking about he's wrong lol

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Trump can finally get a slice of the Bills

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Bailey Zappe can't even throw the ball far enough to use Marv

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If they trade out because they are afraid to pick a QB who busts that guy is 100% gonna be a stud for the Vikings

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

This is such an insane argument. The Pats have more functional WR (2) than QBs (0) on the roster and one is more important than the other. Jacoby is a place holder/solid backup he isn't a real starting QB. Bailey Zappe isn't even deserving of being rostered and got cut in training camp last year. If Maye sits who cares, the team isn't winning poo poo this year even if they draft Marv. The point is you Maye, or Daniels, in there and start coaching them up and put them out when they are ready or the situation steadies itself out

This is literally the family guy mystery box argument. "They can draft anything with the picks they trade from not taking a QB there, even a QB!"

e: This is a good QB draft, team has no QB. They need WR and it's a deep WR draft. Next year is not a good QB class, why would you kick the can down the road to the shitter QB year when really good receivers have been coming out of every draft now

double e: I reserve the right to say they should have drafted Marv if they take loving JJ McCarthy though

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 23, 2024

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Can you please state your rationale for making this asenine claim multiple times now?

They were 30th in the league for yards and last in the league in points per game. This is directly due to the WR's being absolute dogshit where if they were on any other team they would be WR 3/4 at best.

You make it seem like we have this solid corps of WR's but poor Mac Jones just couldn't throw the ball to them to be effective. Did you even watch a Pats game this year.

You take this WR corps we have now and add some 2nd round pick and put Drake loving Maye at the helm and we are winning 4 or less games this year.

Yeah no poo poo the WR group wasn't good, I never said it wasn't. Mac Jones still played like poo poo and Bailey Zappe was even worse. The receiver AND quarterback play was bad, Jones wasn't just bad because DaVante Parker and JuJu loving suck

They are getting Bourne back, got rid of Parker, added KJ Osbourne and presumably at least one rookie. That's already better than last year

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Replacing Parker with Osbourne is an upgrade yes. Parker is always hurt and when he is on the field he can't get open ever

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

sean10mm posted:

Can't wait to rationalize whatever my team does tomorrow!

:yeah:

Anyone but JJ McCarthy

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Which is why there is 0 justification to take a QB @ 3 tonight, let alone Drake Maye

Mac Jones? edit: EFB

There are literally multiple great WRs coming out every draft. Finding a good WR is way easier than getting a good QB

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 25, 2024

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Mac Jones alone didn't sink the Patriots either, look how many other bad players were in those drafts...

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

If they had drafted and coached better the Pats would probably still be stuck running Mac back another season.

The team would simply be mediocre and "a qb away" instead of needing an entire offense

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

He follows Jordan Love, Jayden Daniels, and Caleb Williams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I'd rather have Aiyuk anyway, which also won't happen