Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

fsif posted:

Kind of a good year to not have cap space because honestly this is a pretty underwhelming FA class. This isn't cope. I'm not coping.

Not exactly free agency but I wish the Bills had cap space to consider Tee Higgins, though I don't know if the Bengals would even entertain it as a rival team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Paracausal posted:

Josh! Restructuring gives the Bills another $16m in cap room. What a guy.

You know it just means he gets the money right away (salary converted to signing bonus), right? Its pretty much always a good deal for the player.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Sunday Morning posted:

There was an article on Banged Up Bills that did some sleuthing into what was going on with Stef last year because it did seem like they were hiding an injury.

I think the rules on reporting injuries needs to be tightened. If you don't miss practice they don't need to report and the Bills admittedly used this to keep Elam off the report and it really looks like they did the same with Diggs. Also Diggs isn't getting younger and dealing with nagging injuries is probably going to be more the norm for him. Getting depth behind him and letting the man sit when he's hurt would help.

I also don't really understand why they would not report though, like what's the benefit? I guess it makes the next week's opposition scouting job a bit harder? Allen was on the injury list for basically the last half of the season, and it didn't stop him from anything.

I guess to keep trade interest high? But everyone could see the (lack of) product on the field from Diggs.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Man, this is tough. I was hoping that 2023 Diggs was bad due to some kind of lingering health and that he'd be back in form this year. But he has been making noise about leaving for a long time, and this is already a rebuild year, so ripping that bandaid off is probably for the best.

The Bills have a boat-load of 2024 picks to work with and obvbiously WR is going to be a priority, but they have to balance that with filling out the defensive pieces lost as well. We never got to see Justin Shorter last year due to injury, but he's there for them to work with hopefully. Kincaid had a great season for a 1st year receiving TE. Shakir is fine as a WR3 option, maybe he can take a step forward. And the Curtis Samuel signing makes a lot of sense with this on the horizon, to at least have a veteran WR in the room.

Would love to see them in on an Aiyuk or other piece, but I don't know what this leaves them in cap space.

Gonna be interesting to see what they do with McDermott - this year is being set up fail, so do they reset at HC when the Bills inevitably fall short again, or is the turnover on both sides of the ball enough of an excuse for the ownership to keep McDermott around? I'm thinking its the first option, and maybe they are aiming for Ben Johnson to come in as the offensive-minded guy.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

mcmagic posted:

My opinion on the Bills is that since the 13 second game they have been a relatively bad team with a good QB. They have never actually been a real contender.

They've easily had top 10 ranked defenses for the last three seasons, it's just gone downhill by the time the postseason arrived due to injuries, and then they run into the Chiefs everytime (ok, they also ran into the Bengals). I mean, the Bills are cursed so it doesn't matter, but they have absolutely been a contender.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

fsif posted:

I want the drat Bills to consider trying to trade up from 28 for Nabers. Would give up next year's first and change easily, but I don't think that'd be enough to get it done.

I think it'd take at least two future 1sts (plus some other picks including at least one 2nd rounder) to make that jump, especially if the trade partner thinks the Bills are at least a wildcard team. Not worth it, they need to backfill their defense and get DL/edge help. Thomas or Mitchell should be their targets.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 15, 2024

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

I wasn't following football back for the Julio trade, but the hype for the big 3 WR I think means the price tag is gonna be high, and 2 of the 3 are probably gone to the Cards and Chargers. I feel like there will be teams above the Bills that can pay better to move up, and I think the Bills will be better served by drafting more guys to try to hit, as well as needs on the line and defense.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

In general, it's gonna be way easier to get a good WR in free agency or pry one away from another team with a trade than it is to find a QB outside of the draft.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

fsif posted:

I mean Beane must hate the players that are left if he's willing to give up the fifth year option to upgrade a 6th to a 5th

It's pretty drat close to moving up two rounds (59 spots) rather than just a 6th to a 5th feels like.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Considering I would have probably been happy with them drafting AD Mitchell at 28, I can't really be upset with them drafting him (or an equivalent) at 33 and getting some pick upgrades. Yeah it sucks in the feelings that KC got Worthy from the trade, but they would have been able to get him anyways I think.

5th year option being gone is a thing, but not the end of the world. Who the gently caress knows what the team even looks like by then.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

th3t00t posted:

Not thrilled with the Bills draft so far.

The Bills trade downs weren't worth very much. They combined for +26.8

Cardinals +97
Falcons receive: 35th, 186th overall picks
Cardinals receive: 43rd, 79th overall picks

Panthers +292 depending on how you value 2025 picks.
Rams receive: 39th overall pick
Panthers receive: 52nd, 155th and 2025 second-round pick

I'm all for trading down, but like make it worth your while, drat.

I don't know enough to really say one way or another, but you can't always judge your own teams results based on the desperation and/or stupidity of other teams. Like take the Rams trading up - there was a run on DTs and the Rams clearly had a position of need they wanted to fill being rapidly drafted away, so they made a bad trade (or maybe rather than bad, let's just say a high-cost trade). Bills couldn't take advantage of something like that because the Rams didn't need to trade up to where the Bills were.

You can always argue that the Bills could have got more, but we really have no way of knowing what was available where/when.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

I do wish the Bills had taken a 2nd WR, just to have another chance of hitting the mark. But they have lots of need at a lot of positions, so I can't judge much. Draft was fine, we will see what they can do. Between the reset on the defensive side and the changeover from the Diggs/Davis era on offense, it will be both an interesting year, and very probably very mid in terms of results.

Honestly just hoping the Bills can identify what their core of the next 5 years should be, they can then target needs in 2025 FA + draft. The biggest question is gonna be what happens with McDermott.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Diva Cupcake posted:

Based on the Jets in-house series, the Falcons outright rejected the idea of trading out of #8 but also wanted to trade for #10, which was apparently for Latu.

https://twitter.com/mysportsupdate/status/1785508246306095400?s=46

Man, moving up from 35 to 10 would have been pricey as gently caress. Trying to give away their future picks before the NFL can take them away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

The Bills are not really set-up for a SB run this year, even if their draft picks work out perfectly. Allen can keep them competitive if things click well, but it's not a situation where spending 3 to 8 million on a 1 year WR is beneficial.

I don't think Claypool is making it to September. I can't find any details on money, but I'm assuming its a vet min deal they can drop at any time.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 6, 2024