Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Nodoze posted:

It's 2024 now, all of these teams are bad

You could say they’re all cheeks :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

This might be an all-time great year for this thread. The Bills and Dolphins are gutting their defenses to get under the cap (and the Dolphins are about to give Tua $50 million/year). The Jets are a clown show on offense led by a 40 year old anti-vaxxer coming off a popped achilles tendon. And the Patriots have almost no talent on their entire roster and are entering the offseason with no GM in place. God bless the AFC East.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Depraved signing

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

The Jets get to pick Mr. Irrelevant this year

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/1766204335606690141?s=46&t=Q9JsEynxHxZ9F2lOwU2Uuw

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Joe Douglas is an awe-inspiring dipshit.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Hill has to be suspended for the foreseeable future just in case he beat someone up.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

I guess I’ll post this here too. Mac going for a 6th is probably not a good sign for the Jets getting anything for Wilson

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1766843436013900080?s=20

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

We’re so back. (Not a huge deal, but I think this is a totally solid move to make.)

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 10, 2024

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Holy forking shirt balls

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Hardee is gone.

Seems like a Bryce Hall replacement more than a Hardee one. But we’ll see.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Jets FO is getting the narrative out early.

https://twitter.com/connor_j_hughes/status/1766891892795420985?s=46&t=Q9JsEynxHxZ9F2lOwU2Uuw

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

LOL

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/1767224540877160548?s=46&t=Q9JsEynxHxZ9F2lOwU2Uuw

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Tim Whatley posted:

On an exciting day I'm stoked and blessed to say I just got told I'm in complete remission.

My silly football team and I will rebuild together.

This is amazing news, man! Congratulations!!

Here is to many more years of posting in the AFC East thread.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Can't wait for Douglas to sign him to start alongside Lazard in 11 personnel.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

fsif posted:

Kind of a good year to not have cap space because honestly this is a pretty underwhelming FA class. This isn't cope. I'm not coping.

NFL free agency non-moves have a unique ability to make you furious and relieved at the same time.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

mcmagic posted:

The jets are just gonna let a 6 win season play out and then all get fired huh? Not even going down being caught trying.

https://x.com/connor_j_hughes/status/1767344697721094218?s=46&t=6jG3azctmf9ULNpQ002qHg
lol at their price.

“Their price.” loving drink. Losers.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Idk if there is one place I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt it’s with these defensive line signings.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/RichCimini/status/1767395611337224356

Meh. Guy can't stay healthy but if A A Ron dies they are completely hosed anyway..

I mean yeah, if Rodgers goes down for the whole year they are gigafucked. But if he’s out for a few games they could do worse than Tyrod. I’m content with it, I think.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

mcmagic posted:

I highly doubt he could last more than like 2 quarters lol

You’re loving impossible man

Anyways, lol lmao

https://twitter.com/BuffaloJetFan/status/1767398942306664530?s=20

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

mcmagic posted:

I don't know how giving a lovely guard who was benched basically over and over again his first few years in the league, had to take a 1MM deal last year and then ended up playing decently in the context of a really good OL and system with a mobile QB 9 million dollars a year counts as value. But that is what gets Joe Douglas a stiffy way more than god forbid actually overpaying an actual GOOD PLAYER. Can't loving have that.

I don't think they're paying him 9m per, it's up to 18m for two years which sounds like agent numbers. But yeah, the realistic best case scenario is he's a JAG that they can hide with other acquisitions, which would be an upgrade over Laken (which begs the question of who is going to do the hiding lol).

Replacing three OL starters was never going to be pretty, especially with Douglas doing it.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

What an absolutely deranged free agency from Joe Douglas, lmao

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

The algorithm puts this guy in my feed all the time and he's a loving psycho

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

The Jets should have explored signing Kirk Cousins to be their backup QB IMO

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Lots of people do. Nate Tice loves him too. I'll root for him to succeed, but there's no evidence that he's anything more than a mid-tier backup.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

mcmagic posted:

I feel like you aren’t acknowledging that Taylor is slightly more fragile than Samual L Jackson’s character in Unbreakable.

I am sure you would have been perfectly happy if they'd signed Ryan Tannehill or Drew Lock instead. All of these backups, even the solid ones, have critical flaws. That's why no one wants them starting.

Anyways, apparently the Jets have scouts at Bo Nix's workout LOL

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 12, 2024

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

mcmagic posted:

There is just no way the Jets are taking a QB at 10. I'll eat my shorts if they do.

This is tempting fate if I've ever seen it, please delete immediately

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

gently caress it. Aaron Rodgers retires to run for VP with RFK Jr. Tyrod Taylor starts week 1, replaced by #10 overall pick Bo Nix by week 6. Jets posters do a Goon meet in a field in upstate New York and commit ritual suicide in order to cast a blood curse on Woody Johnson.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

mcmagic posted:

But seriously, the only thing the Jets have going for them as a destination for players is playing with A A ron and now there is a question about if he's actually going to play all over twitter. I guess that assumes they are actually trying to recruit players though.

It would be pretty stunning if he actually didn't play. He just said like a week ago that he wants to play a few more years, presumably while (or after) this VP outreach was happening. But it's still a huge distraction. The guy is a clown and full of poo poo.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/Jason_OTC/status/1767888952826962374

Something is going on behind the scenes with the jets because they quite obviously aren't trying to win or improve the team.

100%, and everything that has happened thus far this offseason indicates it's something catastrophic. From the exodus of assistant coaches, to Alexander/Hogan getting canned, to the Ulbrich/49ers mutual interest, to the pre-FA leaks that they were not going to be major players.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Kalli posted:

A pretty funny bit on the Athletic podcast yesterday:

Patriots - oh they're signing a bunch of cheap guys, makes sense, make sure the cupboard isn't bare and you can develop around your rookie QB
Jets - oh they're signing a bunch of cheap guys, makes sense, they think they're contenders and trying to fill in the obvious holes.
Dolphins & Bills - oh they're signing a bunch of cheap guys, makes sense, they went all in and have to replace expensive guys with guys a rung down now

Nate Tice actually really liked the one iOL signing the Jets have made lol. I don't think NFL pundits are as bewildered by the Jets as Jets fans are.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Basically “it doesn’t matter what product we put on the field, as long as it covers our optics and firemen Ed’s dumbass is happy”?

Whatever it is, I don't think it was the plan. Woody was saying a month ago that they are going to rework the offense this offseason. Rodgers was saying last week that he has at least two more years left. Their total passivity does not align with that messaging. Maybe 4pm today hits and they rework a bunch of deals and get active in the second wave of free agency and the trade market. But it's equally likely that something totally unexpected, Rodgers-related or not, totally upended their plans for the offseason.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

We are back. The season is saved. Print the shirts.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

mcmagic posted:

The return speaks for itself. The ceiling of how good this OL could be is basically an inch off the ground.

I know you are extremely hard to please but this is a goofy take. Moses is a very high-floor player. It's a solid move.

fsif posted:

So like, shell out a ton of money for Calvin Ridley and Tyron Smith?

Gabe Davis was like legitimately one of the better WRs on the market and we'd have been lolling if the Jets gave him the contracting Jacksonville did.

I don't think Tryon Smith is going to get a megadeal because of injury concerns. They should absolutely be in on that if his market is for reasonable money. It would give them flexibility at #10.

For WRs, my expectations weren't really sky high. I don't think they necessarily need or should spend top-dollar to round out the room around Wilson. If you think Wilson is a 1500 yard-type receiver with Rodgers playing (VP run aside lmao), you could have a very good room with two more functional guys (idk, Boyd and Curtis Samuel) or another functional veteran and a draft pick.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

mcmagic posted:

They had a pretty mediocre rushing season with him at RT.

Have you looked at the players on the 2021 Jets offense? This is an insane point.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Great move. Bare bones price for a dude who can start a few games and at worst prove to be a high quality backup / swing tackle

He is going to start every game. He's an actively good player.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

TheBizzness posted:

If the Jets do sign Bahktari and he can actually play, that’s a pretty big improvement on 60% of the Oline even if he’s just ok. He’s only 32 so there’s reason for optimism.

I don't think you can sign Bakhtiari to be your starter. I'd be fine with signing him for cheap to be a depth guy/spot starter, but his injury history is just too long at this point to rely on him as a regular player.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

The best thing they can do right now is sign Tyron Smith, who I think you can at least rely on to play at a high level for 12-14 games a season. That gives you real flexibility in the draft that you don't have if you try to fill LT with Bakhtiari. Otherwise, the whole league (again) knows they'll be targeting a LT at 10 overall.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

mcmagic posted:

I also feel like the Smith contract is going to be less than everyone thinks it's going to be.

Yeah I totally agree. I think if someone was going to pay top dollar for him he would have signed already.

Also, the Chargers just released Mike Williams. That's an option at WR, though a super low floor/high ceiling option.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Look if you get ALL the injured players you're bound to have a couple work out, right?

Mike Williams, David Bakhtiari, and JK Dobbins. The holy trinity.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

mcmagic posted:

They can't do Mike Williams. He just never plays.

To rebut my own point:

https://twitter.com/thejetpress/status/1767977105692700954?s=46&t=Q9JsEynxHxZ9F2lOwU2Uuw

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

fsif posted:

But oof, he will be 30 and coming off a torn ACL.

Yeah, I think I would be extremely ambivalent about it if it happened. He's kind of the perfect type of WR to play next to Wilson, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Diva Cupcake posted:

The Badlands guys are now convinced CJ Mosley is getting cut because some rando hit on the Morgan Moses trade and the Titans getting Ridley.

This doesn’t seem like the type of thing Caporoso or Rogers would go for