Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

he can't even take responsibility for helping his girlfriend get out of the car, can't rely on him for anythign smh smh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

https://twitter.com/DougKyed/status/1766126531586212328

I'm torn between "sweet, we've got a ton of cash to burn and he's a team captain who was a lone bright(ish) spot the last 3 years" and "uhh 3 year deal for a 29 year old with injury history?"

Have to see what the details look like

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Maybe Bill's best GMing move of recent years was finding someone give an actual asset to take Jonnu Smith from us, I'm crossing all my fingers the same can be done for those two

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

16m guaranteed, that's actually team-friendly even. Good deal.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1766181135309066321

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

not developing a mid QB at the end of his career doesn't affect his affect his legacy whatsoever

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

If Daniels goes to Washington at 2 I don't see them taking Maye at 3 the way he's losing stock rapidly with each day.

It's lying season my friend. Putting JJ McCarthy as qb #2 or some poo poo gets clicks

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Hallelujah we dodged the Gabe landmine

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

you think Mike Onwenu is giddy right now or stressed because he's his own agent for some reason

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

So a couple of 3rd or 4th round picks can fix a receiver room, right?

in this class they actually might

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Heard that the Pats would have had to pay Ridley like 26m to make up for the taxes and whatnot. I'm fine with not giving that contract to a 29 year old.

Like yea, all we signed is a bunch of role players, but there was literally just that available plus 1 super expensive WR2 and an oft-injured, old tackle (who they should still probably sign as long as it's not also 26m/per)

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

r/patriots is absolutely frothing right now with this taste of Packers Way™

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Bellmaker posted:

He probably would have come back last year if the team wasn’t 3-10 or whatever

"He might not push through an injury for a bad team" doesn't exactly bode well for him on the Pats or Jets either though :v:

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I had a dream that the Pats took Drake Maye and he showed up to the facility for the first time and was tinier than Bryce

Like 5'6, with tiny baby hands

And Kraft and Mayo were trying to be nice to this little kid and pump everyone up about how great the season would be while frantically working in the background trying to figure out if it was the wrong Drake Maye, or the combine pulled something with the official measurements, or what

What does this mean?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Diva Cupcake posted:

He also said Bears, Commanders and Patriots have shown no appetite for trading one of their picks. Almost certain they're all going QB.

Trying to imagine the offer that would make me consider it [starting from the assumption that the Pats believe in Daniels and Maye both].

11 (Vikings, so one of the most interested counterparties) is a dead zone where you're likely to miss out on Alt/Fashanu/Nabers/Odunze, so it'd have to be heavy to the point where I doubt they'd do it themselves.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

there's smoke from real people about that specific thing today too, so yea pretty believable

https://twitter.com/ByChrisMason/status/1770083596297990219

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

https://twitter.com/alexkatson/status/1773062513938047469

Steve with the trademark family sense of humor

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

MHJ would be the worst of the 3 options [him, QB, or trade down]

Odunze and Nabers are ridiculous players who are already sometimes mocked as going before MHJ (lying season, I know)

And you need a LT just as bad as a good WR

So if they don't like one of the QBs, give me the tradeback. Giants preferably - if it's the Vikings, I'd want better than the 49ers Lance trade to feel happy about it given the circumstances (11 puts you out of range of all 3 top WRs and top 2 LTs)

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

The pats O is probably going to be that any way they go, there's just too many holes to fix it in one offseason

But you have to find a QB at some point, and now's a good match up of draft spot + quality of the class

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Sure, like I said it's lying season.

But we still have so many holes I'd much rather have Odunze/Nabers PLUS a top tackle or other need vs. just MHJ

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Or a zero QB draft, like we just had in 2022.

Like everyone always says "someone will rise and be worth it!" but the opposite happens all the time too where good prospects turn out to suck. Spencer Rattler was projected to be better than he's ended up in this year, for instance

Nosre fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Mar 29, 2024

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I'd rather trade down than do a WR or OT there, but we can't do that in the goon draft so just take the QB IMO.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

tarbrush posted:

Love that the AFCE is going from a supposed four way bloodbath to a tallest dwarf competition

https://twitter.com/ByChrisMason/status/1775559339350089810

lol

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

where's that stick figure image, except it's got MHJ streaking wide open with the opposing defense instantly sacking air (because our QB also doesn't exist)

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

All these questions about the Pats starting, ruining, sitting a guy all come down to one thing: Have they fixed the offensive staff?

Because if they have and can develop, scheme up a friendly system, and cobble together a non-tire fire line, then there's plenty of examples for you to argue for whichever path you want for a rookie QB 1) starting immediately 2) being eased in at some point 3) sitting the whole year

If they haven't, then none of this really matters and we'll be waiting another 2-3 years for Mayo and Wolf to get fired before doing it again.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Anderson Koopa posted:

The Patriots aren't a QB away from contention. I view QB as a luxury pick when you have an okay roster that needs a QB.

That part's wild to me. It's the WR spot which is the luxury pick, as shown by the many years we've seen Brady, Mahomes now, and other great QBs drag WR scrubs to the super bowl. And on the flipside, you've got Megatron and other superstar WRs languishing on terrible teams because they didn't have the QB.

[edit] yes I know both had star TEs, there's more than one way to skin the egg for offensive talent. But having a QB is essential

Nosre fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Apr 16, 2024

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

The biggest reason I want a QB is so that we don't have to have the same offseason offseason again next year and maybe the year after that :v:

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Nodoze posted:

Bailey Zappe can't even throw the ball far enough to use Marv

Joe Milton time :getin:

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

No offense to anyone one poster but I hate the "QB3" takes. It's all dependant on the quality of the class. If Maye or Daniels came out in 2022 they'd be a slam dunk "QB1", but does that change anything about their actual talent and possibilities?

We've got the luck to have a high pick in a well-regarded class, able to pick a guy with high upside without having to spend any extra assets. That's actually a really rare thing, and why I say take the guy.

At the end of the day it's going to come down to coaching more than anything, and none of us know if that's actually fixed or not.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I've seen lots of people use it exactly like that, actually - "QB3" dismissively as in "we get the leftovers Chicago and Wash don't want, that's why we need to trade down/take MHJ"

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

stuker posted:

well that is unfortunately going to be the decision the pats have to make, barring a very surprising move by CHI/WAS

But the more important part of my post is that all three are quality prospects. An unfortunate choice (to me anyway) would be if there were just two legit guys and so they had to consider overdrafting Penix or Nix at #3

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

MHJ is the worst of the 3 options to me, exactly because there's so much stud WR talent coming out seemingly every year.

If not QB, give me the 1-3 extra FRPs from the Giants or Vikings

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Belichicking to the end

https://twitter.com/BerndBuchmasser/status/1783641867663425956

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Chalk back on track

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Maye is probably going to sit anyway, at least for part of the year. WR round 2 or 3, and try to find a stud for year two

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Kalli posted:

I don't think we're going to have a functional offense if they don't find a LT somewhere.

Yea 2-OT 3-WR would be my preference for sure, but maybe there's a big OT run and one of the higher end WRs slips to 34

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Like a lot of our options here at 34 now as long as it's still offense, or maybe a trade back

- AD Mitchell (better scheme/body type need, but has those nagging character concerns...) / McConkey
- Suamataia

Or honestly trying to pick up an extra round 3 pick would be fine too, and then double dip in the next tier of like Amedgadjie, Patrick Paul, Blake Fisher, etc

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I'm down with Polk. People seem mad we passed on McConkey, but we needed the outside skillset far more than another 186 pound slot receiver

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Loling that we took Joe Milton. Maybe we can get a ham sandwich for Zappe from someone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

This is going to be the most exciting Pats training camp in a while, which means this dead period is going to be rougher than usual :saddowns: