Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Professor Funk posted:

What an absolutely deranged free agency from Joe Douglas, lmao

He signed Aaron Rodgers last year! What more do you want from him?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

mcmagic posted:

When you draft a QB into a lovely roster you end up with the same interminable arguments about if he's playing bad because he sucks or because he has no talent around him for pretty much his whole rookie contract.

Eh, I think the guys who are legit NFL QBs elevate the roster enough that you can tell. Stroud did it in Houston. Love’s top targets were two first year players and a second year, none taken in the first round.

I think the bigger issue whether your coaches are actually able to build an offense that works with your players.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

Yeah but that doesn’t mean much. People always rise or break out into top prospects.

Neither Jayden Daniels or McCarthy were considered 1st rounders prior to this season.

Pats fans in here also don’t think those guys are worth drafting because they aren’t blue chip prospects so waiting another year for another flawed prospect who rises late doesn’t seem like it’ll solve that.

fsif posted:

And 2021 was supposedly a really strong QB draft.

And people were saying for a full year that 2022 was going to be pretty bad, and it was.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Docjowles posted:

This man is still on a roster (Saints). I love the NFL.

We talk about former first rounders getting like 10 extra lives but what the hell is the excuse for Peterman lol

There are guys who float around in the QB3 role for a long time because they’re good locker room guys and are really useful in practice, film breakdowns and on the sidelines. Peterman is, by all accounts, one of those guys. Nobody wants him to play but you need a third QB just in case, might as well get someone who can help with all of the off the field stuff.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Nico Collins and Tank Dell are both incredibly good players regardless of being "nobodies".

Even late career AJ Green with Higgins and Boyds are a major step up from what the Pats have.

Nico Collins had like 800 yard and 3TDs in his two seasons before Stroud. Good QBs make WRs look better. If Collins had been on the Pats the last two years you’d think he was trash and argue that you couldn’t draft a QB until you got better WRs.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

List of pre Stroud QBs that Nico played with:

Kyle Allen, Jeff Driskel, Case Keenum, Davis Mills and a handful of Tyrod Taylor.

Yea, that’s the point, bad QBs make it really hard to tell whether you even have good players on offense, so maybe try to fix the QB problem and then see what you’ve got. Brissett is Case Keenum tier.

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Like I don't literally know what to say to someone who thinks that:

Maye/Stevenson/Bourne/Schuster/(maybe Mitchell with an 2nd round pick)/Henry

is better than:

Brissett(maybe a QB they trade up for late)/Stevenson/Harrison Jr/Bourne/Schuster/Henry.

I think the bottom lineup makes you, like, the Saints. Not awful but definitely not good and stuck trying to find a QB that can move the needle. The first roster might be worse next year but has a higher ceiling because Maye has a higher ceiling than Brissett and is more likely to reach it than some guy they gamble on later. And who gives a poo poo about next year because you’re going to be poo poo anyway.

The Lions went 0-16 with Calvin Johnson. The Cardinals were bad for most of Fitzgeralds career because he had jobbers throwing to him. Justin Jefferson hasn’t been enough to drag the Vikings to anything meaningful. A merely good QB is more valuable than an elite WR.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

I see your point and feel it's good. I just can't shake my belief that drafting Maye with the team the way it's set up now makes the team worse not better and then we'll be like the Jets and drafting another QB in a year or two because we reached for this one when the team wasn't built to support one.

I think the Jets problem is that they drafted a lovely QB and surrounded him by bad offensive coaches. Wilson wasn’t really a reach, he was just a miss. The fact is most QBs drafted will be bad. Maye is more likely to be bad than not, but he’s also way more likely to be good than someone taken outside of the 1st round.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

The Pats were ruined by years of bad drafts and lovely coaching hires and no HoF QB to paper over them anymore. Mac didn’t ruin the franchise, he’s just a bad QB which is what they’d have ended up with whether they drafted him or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Yeah man hving a young QB have zero weapons worked out so well 2021-2023. Surely it’ll be different this time right 🥴

The Pats made the playoffs in 2021 but also the problem isn’t that Mac Jones didn’t have weapons it’s that he sucks. You could have given him the Bengals WRs and he’d still suck.