Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

I'm surprised that there is a new AFC East thread. I'm scared of the draft this year. I'm used to waiting all night only to have the Patriots trade their first rounder away. It's going to be weird knowing what their plans are early in the evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

When I read the headline my mind went to some very juvenile places. Enjoy my MSPaint work.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

My wife insisted on a kitchen torch on our wedding registry. We've never used it. Its been 7.5 years.

Can you use it like a lighter? It might still have value if you can make bonfires with it

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm going with yes based on what Impossibly Perfect Sphere said. I'm sure the kids will love it!

Speaking of things the kids will love...

Just fill it with something flammable and enjoy the fun.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Docjowles posted:

After playing for the jets last year I’d think about jumping off a skyscraper too

Crazy to think that it has been twenty some odd years since we've had a tragedy combining Jets and skyscrapers.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

There is nothing you can tell me or convince me (you can try if you’d like) that he shouldn’t be the pick @ 3.

If you look at the stats of any QB taken in the top 5 for the last decade it doesn’t really pan out on being the smartest pick. It’s so loving easy to miss on drafting a QB and I don’t have to sit here and start naming names from the last 5 years. The Patriots are not a better team if you take the roster as it currently sits and put Maye/Daniels at the helm of it. I’m sorry, but that’s just facts and taking a Maye/Daniels “bECaUsE wE nEeD QB” isn’t the answer.

We haven’t had an outside target that teams feared or had to gameplan for since 2010? Harrison solves that problem and will make Brissett better for it while MHJ is the closest thing to a surefire prospect as you can get.

I agree with your position. Brissett might not be the QB of the future, but that QB will need someone to throw the ball too.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Well I don't know how you get a QB if you don't keep taking one until you find one that hits.

Go QB in the middle rounds, sign UDFAs, take a chance on someone with high upside. Aaron Rodgers went at the end of the first, Lamar Jackson went in the second if I recall, and Russell Wilson was a third rounder.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

I'm fine coming back later and looking at guys like Nix or Pennix although him being a lefty with bad knees scares me but looking in later rounds or pushing it off a year is not an idea I hate. When I see Daniels and Maye at 3 all I think about are Trubinsky, Jake Locker, Dwayne Haskins, Josh Rosen, Marcus Mariota, Bortles etc.

Give me the almost cant miss WR prospect that can give me 10 good years that makes my team as it is infinitely better vs rolling the dice and going "Welp, hope this guy doesn't suck"

Need I remind you about Round: 6 / Pick: 199 in 2000?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?

Don't forget Round 7 / Pick 262 in 2022. Draft a guy you are high on and see what happens. Just preferably in the later rounds and use your high picks on blue chip prospects.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

I just received word that I am the GM for the TFF draft. Any objection if we use this thread as our war room?

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Patriots are on the clock.

Do we go QB, WR, or OT?

I expected Maye to be the 2nd guy picked. I didn't like Daniels. I kind of like the idea of MHJ here. Any input would be appreciated.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Sad King Billy posted:

Next year isn't looking so good for QBs. You'll get good WRs in the second round.

Yes, but I feel like WRs are somewhat easier to scout and I'd rather have a sure thing at Wideout. Plus the Patriots offense needs multiple wideouts, not just one. I'd rather take a project QB later in this draft and see if I can develop them.

Plus 2021 was supposed to be a "good" QB class. The first 5 QBs taken were Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, Justin Fields, and Mac Jones :rubby:. I'd argue that the Bengals and Lions improved because they got Chase and Sewell more than any of the teams that went QB.

Anderson Koopa fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Apr 1, 2024

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

True, but if Drake Maye flames out, we have to do the same thing again next year in terms of finding a QB and WR. I'd rather have the best receiver in the draft under team control for 5 years than possibly having to sit in QB purgatory.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Ideally I would trade down and take the extra picks. I went with MHJ here because the Patriots have so many needs that I want the next QB to have someone to throw the ball too. If he can win his one on ones and draw double coverage it will help everyone else in the passing game. It could even help open up the running game. The scouting on Maye said that he sometimes had questionable decision making and he had the potential to be a bust. I would rather take a shot on a QB later in the draft.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

tarbrush posted:

Pick a tackle because goons love fat men

That's where I'm going next round. Feel free to pm me any tackles you all like.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Docjowles posted:

I would have gone Maye but I did not sign up to be the GM! :v: I think in real life they would run to the podium to take him, or possibly trade back if something like the 3 firsts from MIN scenario is on the table. With Maye and MHJ on the board you have SO MUCH leverage in that spot, it would be insane to me to not use it on either the QB or a huge trade. Or hell, everyone seems to think Arizona is mega horny for Marvin, can you bluff them into flipping spots? In our no trades allowed mock it makes more sense though

I'd rather add the QB now if they think he can really be the guy and figure out receiver later. Unless Maye evolves to be a god tier QB taking MHJ isn't going to look bad though, dude seems incredible.

I can see why GMs have such a hard time of it. Drake Maye felt more of a high risk / high reward signing to me. It is entirely possible his running threat and ability to make every throw would make the offense functional. I could just as easily seeing him not being able to deliver a ball to a covered JJSS, Hunter Henry, or Kendrick Bourne coming off of a leg injury. His Offensive line is likely to be not great next year and I could envision a David Carr situation where he just gets destroyed and is never competent again.

I went Marvin Harrison Junior because I looked at the Patriots' WR depth and he would instantly be the near the top of the depth chart. I am also banking on him being a day starter. I figure Zappe / Brissett can chuck fifty fifty balls to him and he might do amazing things and the offense might score a fluke touchdown. I just want to feel some excitement on offense. I think Maye would give the offense a higher ceiling at the cost of a lower floor. I think MHJ gives the offense a focal point and something to plan around. MHJ also gives marketing someone to put on posters to get butts in seats.

That being said, if I was the actual GM I would probably trade down and get more picks. I don't have very high hopes for the Patriots next year and I don't think they will be competitive in their division. I would love to be proven wrong, but I view next year as a rebuilding year as well. I'd rather start the rebuild with some actual offensive talent that they can build around. They have enough cap space to sign extensions to the key guys that they find while they wait for their QB to fall to them.

Finally, RIP to Vontae Davis, 35 is too young.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Pats are on the clock, I kind of want to take a tackle here. Any objections?

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

I didn't have any expectations for them next year beyond hopefully not ruin a young QB again.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Anderson Koopa posted:

I didn't have any expectations for them next year beyond hopefully not ruin a young QB again.

Sounds like the Patriots are going to ruin another QB.

https://www.nbcsportsboston.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/adam-schefter-patriots-report-2024-nfl-draft/602599/?amp=1

I'm not sold on Maye or McCarthy.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

If the Patriots drafted the following players how happy would you be?

1. Marvin Harrison Junior
2. T'Vondre Sweat
3. Jonathan Brooks

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Bellmaker posted:

Getting bad vibes, I feel like this QB class is gonna make the 2021 one look uhhhhhh not good but uh better than this one.

2021 was supposed to be a good year for QBs.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-draft-best-team-fits-for-top-quarterbacks-five-analytics-based-pairings

Five were taken in the first round. Only Trevor Lawrence and Zach Wilson are still on the roster of the team that drafted them. I don't want a QB at 3 unless they are particularly enticing / exciting. Jayden Daniels' frame concerns me, Drake Maye made some really bad throws, JJ McCarthy's coach didn't trust him enough to let him throw. I like Penix's touch and mind, I'm not too worried about his medicals. I would take a gamble on Penix later in the first / beginning of the second if he was available. Otherwise I would be happy for the Patriots to restock the offensive side of the ball and take on QB reclamation projects. Teams are cutting their first round picks loose fairly quickly these days. For less draft capital you could have gotten, Baker Mayfield, Russell Wilson, Jameis Winston, Kenny Pickett, or Gardner Minshew. Those guys are probably not long term answers, but it gives you time to find your guy in the draft.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Posts like these make me question if people actually follow football or the trends in the league that over teams have done. You do NOT take a QB #3 (let alone 1 or 2) and stash them on the bench for a year and hope that at the start of their "sophomore" year they take over and have all the issues that caused them to be sat in the first are placed magically fixed.

If we take MHJ this team is INSTANTLY better the second they call his name at the podium. It doesn't matter if Jacoby/Bailey (or some other QB drafted 2-7 is throwing to him.) Defensive coaches now have to plan for MJH and that opens up lines for our TE's and already lovely WRs to not be focused on as #1 threats. As the team currently sits there is no DC in the league sitting at their desk thinking "Ok, so what's the gameplan to contain Kendrick Bourne/JJSS and Tyquan Thorton this week. The last 2 years are proof of that.

You guys who want Maye 3rd and your only legitimate reason for it is "Well we need a QB" or "We're never drafting this high again" are going look real silly when we're drafting in the top 5 again next year.

I agree with you for what it is worth. I don't value the argument of "Next year's QB class is bad" because draft hype will push some people up boards and organizational dysfunction will lead to the release of QBs. I would rather have a sure fire WR who can be a safety valve for whoever is playing QB.

In the later rounds they can even draft another WR or an OT. The Patriots aren't a QB away from contention. I view QB as a luxury pick when you have an okay roster that needs a QB. I worry that if the Patriots pick the wrong QB it sets them back several years.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

fsif posted:

As much as I generally agree with the sentiment that it's often foolish to project prospects more than a year in the future, it does seem like the draft community consistently nails when a lovely QB class is coming.

That makes sense, but I also think there are plenty of teams that get rid of average to below average QBs earlier than they probably should. I'm thinking of Baker Mayfield, Gardner Minshew, and Russell Wilson. If you are one hundred percent sure that your guy at the top of the 1st is the best player, then pull the trigger. Otherwise take good quality prospects and take a risk on someone in the later rounds.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Phobeste posted:

the trump ambassador owner. the impossibly petty zionist rub and tug connoisseur owner. the desperate to be noticed boat meetings owner.

the coach that we're watching age and sadden in real time. the coach who makes favorable analogies to the 9/11 hijackers. the meme coach.

the golden labrador qb who may or may not have fallen out with his star wideout over a girl. the qb who got driven into depression by his bully of a coach and was saved by the meme coach watching macgruber with him. the insane draft bust that everybody saw coming. the insane draft bust that everybody saw coming who also is an rear end in a top hat and apparently a rapper

it's all so good

Wait, what happened with Josh Allen and his star wideout?

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Phobeste posted:

the coach that we're watching age and sadden in real time.

Robert Saleh in 2020

Robert Saleh in 2024

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

syzpid posted:

I know I have only been posting about Wilson, but since voluntary workouts have just started and he announced that he isn’t attending, I read somewhere that pretty much the Jets would owe him 5 mil if they cut him and 1.4 mil if he was claimed off waivers. Such a ridiculously small amount to give a poo poo about if your an NFL franchise, especially one that just raised the cost of tickets for a team that was sub 500 and hasn’t made the playoffs in over 10 years. The Johnsons are embarrassing, even the cheapest teams in the league would have cut Wilson before now.

I find it kind of amusing that out of the 5 QBs drafted in the first round of the 2021 draft, only Zach Wilson and Trevor Lawrence are with the teams that drafted them.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Nosre posted:

Joe Milton time :getin:

I grabbed him and Marv in the Goon draft for the Pats!

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

And with that there is only one QB on the original team from the 2021 draft.

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/chris-simms-quarterback-rankings-for-the-2021-nfl-draft

Every year the sports media hypes up QBs and talks about how great they are going to be.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

I see your point and feel it's good. I just can't shake my belief that drafting Maye with the team the way it's set up now makes the team worse not better and then we'll be like the draft and drafting another QB in a year or two because we reached for this one when the team wasn't built to support one.

I"m also coming around to the idea that it's fine to trade 3 for extra capital.

I also am just a moron with an opinion so I guess we'll see how it shakes out in a few days but I look forward to chatting about the entire 1st round with ya'll

I feel like missing on a first round QB sets your franchise back the better part of a decade or so. The first round QB gets every opportunity to start and show something for 3-4 years, if they succeed, great! If they aren't a success you get to repeat the process three to four years later. At best, your franchise realizes the issues and cuts the QB early (Arizona Cardinals), at worst they cut the QB too late (Baker Mayfield). If you are completely convinced that the QB you can draft is a winner, then take them. Drake Maye has too many ugly misses for me to pick him as a prospect.

I don't know, I just want the Patriots to trade back or pick a blue chip prospect. Drake Maye won't succeed with the team in its current configuration.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

I came around to the idea of Drake Maye. He seems to have the tools and if you get a good QB you have him under team control for 5 years. That gives you some time to assemble a team around him.

Trading back is cool too, roster has lots of holes to fill.

I want no part of JJ McCarthy.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the idea that the wrong draft pick is going to ruin the pats is hilarious

The Patriots are starting from a position of being ruined. Almost anything they do will improve the team.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

No clue who this guy is but he can't be worse than Aaron Dobson or NKeal Harry

Remember Taylor Price, Chad Jackson, Brandon Tate, and Malcolm Mitchell? I really don't know why the Patriots are so bad with Wide Receivers.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

They drafted Drake Maye, that tells you all you need to know about the front office.

I picked Marvin Harrison Jr, T'Vondre Sweat, Jonathan Brooks, and Joe Milton with the first four picks as the Goon Draft GM. Does anyone else prefer that set of picks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Don't know those other guys but MHJ should have been the #1 pick.

Jonathan Brooks is a talented RB coming off of an ACL tear. He was one of the more highly rated RBs this year.

T'Vondre Sweat is a 6'4" 366 lb (probably a bit heavier) DT who played in Texas. He specializes in two gapping, run stopping, and has the potential to develop a bit as an interior pass rusher.

Joe Milton is a QB for Tennessee who has an arm, athleticism, but might not be able to make the correct read all the time. I picked him in the fourth round, so I don't expect success here.