Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

trem_two posted:

Man United are planning on knocking down Old Trafford

Big deal I've been suggesting this for years

*lampardishly* no but it's a bit snug around there since you've got train tracks one side and a canal on the other. Looking forward to seeing some ridiculous artists impressions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Bet it doesn't happen.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The canal can easily be built over and wouldn’t be a problem.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

the sex ghost posted:

Big deal I've been suggesting this for years

*lampardishly* no but it's a bit snug around there since you've got train tracks one side and a canal on the other. Looking forward to seeing some ridiculous artists impressions

Supposedly some of the biggest issues with revamping the old one is poo poo like electricity and other cabling, and how difficult that would be to modernise.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

TheRat posted:

Supposedly some of the biggest issues with revamping the old one is poo poo like electricity and other cabling, and how difficult that would be to modernise.

Nonsense, they’re finally hiring a Director of Football

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Old Trafford is massive but it's also rusting and old as poo poo, Emirates is space age comparatively.

Lol, I just googled it, Maine road was built over a decade after Old Trafford.

Dravs fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 8, 2024

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

TheRat posted:

If this discussion was happening 20 years ago it would be easy because money was a lot cheaper. The amount of work required to do the Emirates for example was colossal and it cost a lot because of it.

The other downside to not being able to repeat a trick that can only really be done once is that redeveloping the same site doesn't give you the opportunity to sell hundreds of apartments in London.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-t-5JCIkzg

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

senile trafford

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
are they going to get government money for this

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

brocked posted:

Except all the ones that sucked

gently caress YOU I AM GOOD

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

mila kunis posted:

are they going to get government money for this

In the USA this is always the case or the teams decide gently caress you we will move, which I don't think is a thing in Europe? Either way, the sports teams end up paying back the government funds well over because of the impact they have on the local economy. It keeps fans happy, brings in money, and usually only anti-sports people are the ones bitching.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

T Bowl posted:

In the USA this is always the case or the teams decide gently caress you we will move, which I don't think is a thing in Europe? Either way, the sports teams end up paying back the government funds well over because of the impact they have on the local economy. It keeps fans happy, brings in money, and usually only anti-sports people are the ones bitching.

Wait what? Public financing of private sports stadia are rarely ever profitable for the city. There's an argument that keeping teams around brings expressive benefits to cities and fans but I don't think there's a financial argument that they're good investments.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

nawilo_420 posted:

theres nothing more cringe than city fans trying to defend their club lol. ive seen them irl too

How do you figure out whether you or the district of culembia get the big tv when both teams are playing at the same time?

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Akbar posted:

Wait what? Public financing of private sports stadia are rarely ever profitable for the city. There's an argument that keeping teams around brings expressive benefits to cities and fans but I don't think there's a financial argument that they're good investments.

It's profitable long term and not just government, it's the overall effect of an area.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

T Bowl posted:

It's profitable long term and not just government, it's the overall effect of an area.

This is what every team claims, and...

Akbar posted:

...it's hardly proven or to be taken as fact. tl;dr billionaire owners of private property should pay for that property to be redeveloped.

2-1 over Brentford, never in doubt (because I saw the scoreline before watching the highlights this morning :v: )

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Arsenal...ftw

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

harperdc posted:

billionaire owners of private property should pay for that property to be redeveloped.

:hmmyes:

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

sourdough posted:

Arsenal...ftw

I have been hearing this

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

kri kri posted:

I have been hearing this

More and more people are saying it

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOos2ESq3sU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/status/1767095325779440003?t=v5zOIFPmQvfINRR-jvsxOA&s=19

Lovely to see city and Newcastle's directors love their club so much they work for free.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Leeds wanted to pay the directors more but spent all the money on Americans (various)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Lovely to see city and Newcastle's directors love their club so much they work for free.

It's good op more billionaire owners should do it

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Newcastle put their director of football on gardening leave for exactly this kind of Twitter graph

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Looks like Chelsea don't know something that eludes all the other clubs

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Their directors are the best because they pay them the most money

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
I was watching an analysis vid from FourFourTwo on the pool-city game and the presenter makes the point that Doku didn't even get the ball first on the high boot to MacAllister. VAR is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwAgbYyAcDk&t=705s

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

T Bowl posted:

:lol:, no it's loving not and never has been, you dimwit

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

https://twitter.com/david_ornstein/status/1768030597316833546

Good news

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lock down his shithousing skills early

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

sticksy posted:

:lol:, no it's loving not and never has been, you dimwit

You are taking the government recoup method I see, which is loving stupid.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
don't give billionaire cunts money

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

mila kunis posted:

don't give billionaire cunts money

I agree, but that's the thoughts behind it. They'll just pick the next bidder. lovely system.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Very good news indeed

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

T Bowl posted:

I can't speak to European football specifically but studies of US sports and stadium projects has shown that there's a substantial crowding out effect where spending on the sports team and related stuff (e.g. nearby bars that get traffic from fans) mostly replaces other spending that would have occurred in the area rather than causing it to secularly increase. It's horrendously inefficient public spending as far as economic returns are considered.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

T Bowl posted:

You are taking the government recoup method I see, which is loving stupid.

I'm not taking anything, the entire thing is welfare for the least deserving and should be dismissed out of hand, especially given the past 30 years where it's been consistently shown to stiff local government and tax payers. Every loving time.

Please cite a single study not underwritten by a billionaire or consortium that actually shows it remotely makes financial sense for anyone to subsidize these.

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
https://x.com/MattHughesDM/status/1768918353572241581?s=20

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
a "jocular slap"

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
:redflag:
love it when my boss gives me a jocular slap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimble
Jul 7, 2002

He will build a castle with garden on an island called Cheshire, and he is permitted to breed.
(Wrong thread)