Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Like you I googled about the make-up and used the roughly the first thing I saw https://hbr.org/2021/05/how-much-energy-does-bitcoin-actually-consume

quote:

Nic Carter is a general partner at Castle Island Ventures, a Cambridge, MA-based venture firm investing in public blockchain startups, and the cofounder of Coin Metrics, a blockchain analytics firm. Previously, he served as Fidelity Investments’ first cryptoasset analyst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

It’s all moot cause it’s fake money made up by fuckwits to do crimes with.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Oooh, I’m glad we use any amount of energy at all making sure someone can make CumCoin (a SpunkCoin derivative) so they can rug pull a couple of hundred idiots who think they’re going to get their money out before it all comes crashing down (they won’t)

Megabound fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 28, 2024

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!
Where does the idea that it's ok if some amount of energy is being used to mine crypto if it's renewable? We are still far short of being able to supply energy needs with renewables, the idea that all of that remaining percentage would be unused "excess" renewable energy is just asinine. For someone who claims to be tuned in to the energy sector you should really be doing better.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Also using even half a percent of the world’s total energy consumption to process approximately 0% of the world’s financial transactions is not exactly a slam dunk.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Majestic posted:

For someone who claims to be tuned in to the energy sector you should really be doing better.

Dude used a cryptobro as his source for what the environmental impact of crypto is, he's either actually a crypto enthusiast who thinks that he's being sneaky by posting a bunch of "well crypto isn't that bad actually" screed as long as he bookends it with "but yeah I totally don't like crypto, I just post a lot about how it's misunderstood", or else he's so dense that light bends around him and we could probably get him to smoke 5 packs a day by pointing him at an article by Phillip Morris claiming that smoking doesn't have bad health effects.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Megabound posted:

It’s all moot cause it’s fake money made up by fuckwits to do crimes with.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I'm also upset they went straight from using all the graphics cards for crypto bullshit to using them all for ai bullshit instead, without giving us pc buyers a chance to pick one up at a reasonable price.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

AI is going to be so much worse than crypto in terms of value generated to emissions belched out into the world.

My friend had an app idea that just shows how regular people think about AI:

friend who doesn't know better posted:

I want to use chat GPT to go through all the grocery websites and catalogue all the food items and barcodes to have a huge food inventory. Essentially I want people to be able to just scan a barcode and have selected what they want to highlight out of it for allergens like corn, coconut etc and then the app will just say clearly if it contains it or not

This app already exists by the way, on both app stores, without using AI. But I guarantee you for every person who gets told their idea is dumb there's one more who makes this dumb thing then kills a celiac person because they scanned the barcode on some wonder white and the AI told them all bread is gluten free.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Megabound posted:

AI is going to be so much worse than crypto in terms of value generated to emissions belched out into the world.

Yep, all the big tech companies have already started chewing up all the available enterprise computing space to sink into this bullshit and it's only going to get worse in the short term. The bubble needs to burst asap (and people need to keep feeding junk into them to make it more and more useless)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Yeah it's the AI listicle maker that is dumb, not the celiac that stops reading labels.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I believe both can be dumb

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Crypto is bad and silly.
The people who massively get into crypto and defend it are worse and sillier.

Just use normal money ya dinguses.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-04-29/albanese-plays-down-claim-lied-women-rally-invitation-to-speak/103778800

Good job Albo and great timing.

Got up at the the rally against gender violence and told the crowd he wasn't invited to speak, organisers of the rally got pissed because they say was invited, Albo dismisses it as "comments on an emotional day".

There goes women being emotional again and not being able to remember what really happened! At a rally against gender violence (male violence that is).

loving. Idiot.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

SecretOfSteel posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-04-29/albanese-plays-down-claim-lied-women-rally-invitation-to-speak/103778800

Good job Albo and great timing.

Got up at the the rally against gender violence and told the crowd he wasn't invited to speak, organisers of the rally got pissed because they say was invited, Albo dismisses it as "comments on an emotional day".

There goes women being emotional again and not being able to remember what really happened! At a rally against gender violence (male violence that is).

loving. Idiot.

This is dumb as gently caress on Albanese's part but if Morrison or Abbott were still in charge they wouldn't rock up at all, so progress?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

https://www.afr.com/property/residential/sticky-inflation-not-deterring-homebuyers-at-auction-20240428-p5fn2u

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BrigadierSensible posted:

Crypto is bad and silly.
The people who massively get into crypto and defend it are worse and sillier.

Just use normal money ya dinguses.

Normal money attracts 11-13% gst on transactions though (govt and EFTPOS tax)

JBP fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 29, 2024

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

lol

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I was going to say "good" but Channel 7 must have a shithead quota to maintain:

e: misread, the West Australian is getting Dore

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

This is dumb as gently caress on Albanese's part but if Morrison or Abbott were still in charge they wouldn't rock up at all, so progress?

iirc the last women’s march in Canberra ended with Morrison casually mentioning in parliament that in other countries people get shot for protesting

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It's loving weird having the government turn up to a march saying "this must be stopped" and "we are raising awareness". Bro you're aware. Literally go inside to your desk and draft some leg.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Afp officers are suing the ex DPP for defamation over his statements that they deliberately dragged their feet on the Lehrmann rape charges :munch:

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

It's loving weird having the government turn up to a march saying "this must be stopped" and "we are raising awareness". Bro you're aware. Literally go inside to your desk and draft some leg.

I took it as an admission that they feel like they can't legislate blokes to stop beating and killing women.

There's lots they could do and other countries are doing but the whole raising awareness talk seems like they just want people to be nicer to one another

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

EoinCannon posted:

I took it as an admission that they feel like they can't legislate blokes to stop beating and killing women.

There's lots they could do and other countries are doing but the whole raising awareness talk seems like they just want people to be nicer to one another

You can legislate all sorts of crazy poo poo. You can legislate that entire countries are banned from getting visas to see their Australian children. How hard can it be.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

You can legislate all sorts of crazy poo poo. You can legislate that entire countries are banned from getting visas to see their Australian children. How hard can it be.

Yeah you can totally legislate a bunch of useful things.

The language of Albo and the current govt. make it seem like they are more interest in lip service.

*edit* some of the useful stuff they could legislate could end up changing the role of the cops and maybe they're scared off pissing them off

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Megabound posted:

Paracausal posted:

Yep, all the big tech companies have already started chewing up all the available enterprise computing space to sink into this bullshit and it's only going to get worse in the short term. The bubble needs to burst asap (and people need to keep feeding junk into them to make it more and more useless)

While I completely agree LLM's / Generative Computation is a bubble that badly needs to burst and gently caress off, unlike Crypto it does has some use, so the tech companies like Microsoft - ESP Microsoft - are going to leverage the small amount of use cases to keep forcing it everywhere and it's going to stay like a smelly poo poo dumped in the middle of the room no one wants to clean up. Crypto can gently caress off tomorrow and no one but the bag holders will notice or care, cant say the same for LLM's or Generative Computing now.

Microsoft is profiting heavily from it all because Azure is the backbone of so loving much of it, a lot more than I think most even in tech realise.

quote:

Crypto is estimated to use about half to three quarters of a percent of global energy generation, mostly from renewables (because they routinely build where cheap and often wasted (hydro)electricity is available) so no, crypto is nothing remotely close to a full percentage points of carbon emissions. In fact, if it helps monetize otherwise curtailed renewable generation (and it reduces/scales back consumption at other times), it is contributing to the transition to renewables by decreasing the importance of dispatchable generation while improving the economics of otherwise marginal wind and solar.

This is wrong and fortunalty I dont need to point out that it's dribble from the Crypto bros, thanks to those who already debunked.

Plus lets say it's .5%. 0.5% of thw ALL the worlds energy going towards doing exactly nothing of worth when all that power could be used to do real poo poo that can reduce carbon. ANY power used by crypto poo poo is wasted.

The big problem now tho is as crypto goes out the window, LLM's are taking the power instead, we are just so loving dumb as a species.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

EoinCannon posted:

Saw a headline scroll past in the lift this morning that expressed concern that the anti dv movement was at risk of alienating men.

Fucks sake.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

EoinCannon posted:

*edit* some of the useful stuff they could legislate could end up changing the role of the cops and maybe they're scared off pissing them off

That is 100% where any conversation on this stuff should START. Women aren't comfortable going to the police for numerous reasons, including multiple cases of cops breaching restraining orders to let violent ex-partners know where they're currently living.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

We will probably get some stricter bail laws, some more mandatory minimum sentencing, a tiny bit of money for women's shelters etc and a fuckload of money to a worthless advertising campaign about Telling Your Mates To Respect Women

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

freebooter posted:

We will probably get some stricter bail laws, some more mandatory minimum sentencing, a tiny bit of money for women's shelters etc and a fuckload of money to a worthless advertising campaign about Telling Your Mates To Respect Women

Gotta fund various unions generously to help deliver these messages on site too

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Solemn Sloth posted:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Solemn Sloth posted:

Maybe also a fundraiser morning tea at office sites, perhaps even a Facebook profile template to really push awareness

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Make sure the ad has footy players and Fitzsimons in it saying "it's not on", or "nah ah that's bad"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I think the nsw premier pledged money to some respect ladies course for schoolkids