Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Budzilla posted:

Isn't Pine Gap more of a NSA facility than a CIA one?

Same poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Like bikes and cars.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

hambeet posted:

Like bikes and cars.

Also black and white.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Being critical of the overreach of intelligence agencies particularly after Prism is a good thing. But if you don't know the difference between the premier civilian HUMINT and military SIGINT agencies of the United States in your video title then you are showing ignorance.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Well it’s a good thing they clarify that in the first few minutes of the video then I guess

e - “for all the nerds out there” lol

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 9, 2024

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Bucky supporting click bait methods. You hate to see it.

‘One man designed a cycling super highway, but you won’t believe what happened next!!!’

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

hambeet posted:

Bucky supporting click bait methods. You hate to see it.

‘One man designed a cycling super highway, but you won’t believe what happened next!!!’

And I would've finished that Super Highway, if it wasn't for that dastardly Cycling Australia!!!!!

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

hambeet posted:

you won’t believe what happened next!!!’

Unless you have any familiarity whatsoever with Auspol

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

mad keen to learn the next buckyism

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Budzilla posted:

Being critical of the overreach of intelligence agencies particularly after Prism is a good thing. But if you don't know the difference between the premier civilian HUMINT and military SIGINT agencies of the United States in your video title then you are showing ignorance.

Weird that these guys also seem to subscribe to these other gems;
+ Putin was forced to invade Ukraine by NATO
+ Boris Johnson directed Ukraine to not pursue a peace treaty with Russia
+ Zelenskyy was installed by the CIA through a coup not a popular revolution
+ Slobadan Milosevic was unfairly attacked by NATO
Etc etc

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Paracausal posted:

Etc etc

So tankies basically

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
I remember back around the turn of the millennium when people like John Pilger and and Noam Chomsky were part of a largely coherent worldview in which America and its western allies were far less benign than they liked to seem, and were tipping into monstrous evil in Iraq and Afghanistan. The receipts were there. I met government officials who confirmed that the aluminium tubes intelligence on Iraq was bogus (they were for rocket bodies, not uranium centrifuges). The US failed to confirm any of their claims despite gaining total control of the country, etc. Then Julian Assange came on the scene with a perfectly cogent reason for anonymously releasing records of government and military malfeasance and exposed an overt war crime.

And since then it’s spiralled off into this weird world where formerly incisive critics are interlinked with networks of Kremlin-puppeteer disinformation spruikers of varying degrees of purity.

It seems like there are several things all happening at once. I’m getting older, tireder and nore gullible. Putin has emerged as a new challenger against Dick Cheney for the drown of “worst ravager of the concepts of truth and order in international relations”. And it’s sort of one of those “everything happens twice, first as tragedy then as farce” things except it’s “then as farce + nuclear sabre rattling”. America has no doubt got better at propaganda, and I’ve got more tied into algorithmic propaganda networks for “my side”, and at the same time Russia has been exposed to be running massive disinformation efforts that were probably always there in weaker forms. Mainstream America also seems to have genuinely resiled from the worst excesses of the war on terror (which makes it all the more remarkable how much terrible poo poo they still get up to).

The thing that does my head in is trying to work out how much better America has actually become (relative to the rise of figures like Putin) vs how much the wool has just been pulled over my ageing eyes. 20 years ago I thought pine gap was an affront to our sovereignty, and it still is, but part of me also thinks that maybe in the third and fourth decades of the 21st century there might be worse things than belonging to an alliance that can see everything, everywhere.

The Artificial Kid fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 9, 2024

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/SatPaper/status/1766350856440398141

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Nuclear is the real punk rock. We don’t want grandpa’s stuffy old solar panels.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Paracausal posted:

Etc etc

Zelenskyy didn't even become president until 6 years after the euromaidan protests! I know asking for critical thinking skills from tankies is stupid, but come on.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Well it’s a good thing they clarify that in the first few minutes of the video then I guess

e - “for all the nerds out there” lol

1:03 - "One of the most important CIA's spy bases"
1:13 - "It shouldn't be controversial to say that the CIA wants to control the world"
2:30 - "These CIA guys are literally out here laughing as Bond villians"

Finally at 3:45 he talks about the nerd poo poo.

Why can't the video creator have the video title "We sneaked into the largest US spy base in the southern hemisphere" or something catchy like that? The CIA has done lovely things over the years but it is no reason to make lazy rear end poo poo clickbait like this.

Pretty lol that their previous video is "Youtubers Will Promote Anything"

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
We snuck into a top secret military base so that we could see classified documents. And you know where else you can see classified documents: the forums for War Thunder, the sponsor of today’s video.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

mario voice: so long, white bastard

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

hambeet posted:

mad keen to learn the next buckyism

Well in honour of the new thread here’s a few on the shortlist for ya:

Garden Island

Literally some of the most prime real estate in the world, so kick the navy out and create an arts & culture precinct and super-yacht mooring facility.

Waste

State takes the whole thing over. No more relying on business and councils to work out a cost-positive way of doing it right. Build a big gently caress-off MRF/ recycling / organics processing facility at Eastern Creek (between the drag way and the M7). Capture all commercial and residential food waste. And a giant warehouse for council collection stuff that gets sorted into grades of usefulness and salvagability.

Eliminate disposable packaging at dine-in fast food.

X sports centre

Competition-grade skate park, big air, etc. Just next to the Wanderers football park seems like a good location.

Leppington Cargo

Already discussed, but bears repeating - move the freight depot south a few miles and extend the train line a few hundred meters and we can take a shitload of trucks off the road.

(move big red circle to little red circle)

Sydney Games

Kind of like a modern corroboree. Centennial park is a massively underused resource, so for one weekend a year, have a massive tournament. Most of the major sports. Split the city up into 32 regions to make the table easy, have primary / secondary / open divisions. And while we're at it, an Australian Games at Homebush as well.

Somewhat related, one major difference I noticed between Sydney and Melbourne, is sport. Most sports fields in Sydney are empty. Seriously. But the few nights I've spent riding around Melbourne, they're packed, with people playing relatively high grades.

Schools

Lunch provided. I am so loving sick of all the kids' nutrition relying on millions of parents having to do it individually.
Kitchen Garden in every campus, competition for best produce
More partnerships with retirement homes
Make Science Fairs more of a Thing

Aquatic Recreation

Harbour baths. Few of these things scattered around the bays would be alright:

And for those not by the harbour, an olympic-sized natural public pool at Prospect. But you can only get there by active transport. And speaking of prospect, whack in a zipline from the lookout down towards the filtration plant.

And a communal outdoor fireplace in each suburb.

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 9, 2024

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I posted this in the chill thread, but now this is open I want to say it again:

I've honestly lost count of the number of times some white person in a position of authority or power has faced the slightest push back from a minority and some goon has rushed in to say that racism against white people is totally real and just as bad and quoted loving dictionary definitions at people.

And then, in the space of half a dozen posts, has gone from "I'm the only one here who's really standing up for what's right" to "We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children".

100% serious - as soon as someone posts that "the dictionary defines racism as..." you can start the countdown to racist implosion.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

EoinCannon posted:

I thought everyone here was too old, cynical and ironic for a real meltdown to occur.

Last time we almost had a meltdown was the 'read theory' guy a couple months back, but he's actually turned out to be pretty cool now that he's chilled out a little.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Well in honour of the new thread here’s a few on the shortlist for ya:

Garden Island

Literally some of the most prime real estate in the world, so kick the navy out and create an arts & culture precinct and super-yacht mooring facility.

Waste

State takes the whole thing over. No more relying on business and councils to work out a cost-positive way of doing it right. Build a big gently caress-off MRF/ recycling / organics processing facility at Eastern Creek (between the drag way and the M7). Capture all commercial and residential food waste.

Eliminate disposable packaging at dine-in fast food.

X sports centre

Competition-grade skate park, big air, etc. Just next to the Wanderers football park seems like a good location.

Leppington Cargo

Already discussed, but bears repeating - move the freight depot south a few miles and extend the train line a few hundred meters and we can take a shitload of trucks off the road.

(move big red circle to little red circle)

Sydney Games

Kind of like a modern corroboree. Centennial park is a massively underused resource, so for one weekend a year, have a massive tournament. Most of the major sports. Split the city up into 32 regions to make the table easy, have primary / secondary / open divisions. And while we're at it, an Australian Games at Homebush as well.

Somewhat related, one major difference I noticed between Sydney and Melbourne, is sport. Most sports fields in Sydney are empty. Seriously. But the few nights I've spent riding around Melbourne, they're packed, with people playing relatively high grades.

Schools

Lunch provided. I am so loving sick of all the kids' nutrition relying on millions of parents having to do it individually.
Kitchen Garden in every campus, competition for best produce
More partnerships with retirement homes
Make Science Fairs more of a Thing

Aquatic Recreation

Harbour baths. Few of these things scattered around the bays would be alright:

And for those not by the harbour, an olympic-sized natural public pool at Prospect. But you can only get there by active transport. And speaking of prospect, whack in a zipline from the lookout down towards the filtration plant.

And a communal outdoor fireplace in each suburb.

Pretty entertaining 48 minutes

Unlike your posts

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Last time we almost had a meltdown was the 'read theory' guy a couple months back, but he's actually turned out to be pretty cool now that he's chilled out a little.

We all have our poo poo phase, some never leave (me)

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

Unlike your posts

Great stuff as always man! Good chat, fun times

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I posted this in the chill thread, but now this is open I want to say it again:

I've honestly lost count of the number of times some white person in a position of authority or power has faced the slightest push back from a minority and some goon has rushed in to say that racism against white people is totally real and just as bad and quoted loving dictionary definitions at people.

And then, in the space of half a dozen posts, has gone from "I'm the only one here who's really standing up for what's right" to "We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children".

100% serious - as soon as someone posts that "the dictionary defines racism as..." you can start the countdown to racist implosion.

It's really bizarre. He didn't even get that much prodding, just a few questions, a bit of push back, and he completely flipped his lid, ranting about secret groups trying to destroy 'his' country.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

...the dictionary defines racism as...

*starts countdown*

Captain Theron posted:

It's really bizarre. He didn't even get that much prodding, just a few questions, a bit of push back, and he completely flipped his lid, ranting about secret groups trying to destroy 'his' country.

A friend of mine recently said to me something that really stuck with me. If your politics are based on whatever makes you personally least uncomfortable rather than positions being ethically or morally defensible you can't make a distinction between criticisms of your positions and/or actions and personal attacks. So instead of apologising for being wrong and having done harm, i.e. owning your mistakes, you continue to try to minimise discomfort by going on the attack at the source of the discomfort which is the person pointing out you did harm.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Great stuff as always man! Good chat, fun times

always the one saying it, never the one hearing it

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Captain Theron posted:

It's like the movie, A Few Good Men when Tom Cruise's character is talking about how to get Jack Nicholson's character to admit he ordered an attack on one of his own men.

One of the legal team Cruise is working with wonders how they can get Nicholson to admit what he did, and Cruise points out he wants to admit it, he's desperate to admit what he did. He's not ashamed of it - he's proud of it. All he needs is the excuse.

A "You can't handle the truth!" tirade from the put-upon-martyr is what every person like that secretly lives for.

That said, it's a real bummer. I know I disagreed with the poster before, but I really thought they were better than that.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The Artificial Kid posted:

The thing that does my head in is trying to work out how much better America has actually become (relative to the rise of figures like Putin) vs how much the wool has just been pulled over my ageing eyes.

On the contrary to the wool being pulled over your ageing eyes, you have grown up and come to the correct understanding that the world is a more complex place than it appeared when you were in your late teens or early twenties and were taking your political lessons from tankies.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

The Artificial Kid posted:

Russia has been exposed to be running massive disinformation efforts that were probably always there in weaker forms.

Yes they were always there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5WjRjz5mTU

I don't think this is the actual video I wanted but you get the idea

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I’m not sure now is the time to talk about how thank god mainstream American politics has come back from the brink of the early 2000s

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
bucky we need less mooring places for super yachts not more

also weird, perth also has a place called garden island also used by the navy

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Yeaaaah come on, gently caress the super yachts. Also how many time does it need to be said Prospect Res is part of Sydney's water supply and you can NOT do what you want there. Not like there is a water park just across the road too......

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Spookydonut posted:

bucky we need less mooring places for super yachts not more

also weird, perth also has a place called garden island also used by the navy

I feel like every coastal city has a Garden Island

The one in Adelaide is near where the AUKUS stuff will probably never get built but all the shipwrecks are cool https://www.environment.sa.gov.au/topics/heritage/maritime-heritage/visiting-maritime-heritage-places/shipwreck-trails/garden-island

A garden it ain’t though

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Do I really need to explain the logic behind giving billionaires a place to open their wallets

Also the pool would be a few hundred meters back from the reservoir. The waterpark across the road is cool and all, but it’s an expensive noisy mission, and not exactly nice and relaxing.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Do I really need to explain the logic behind giving billionaires a place to open their wallets

Also the pool would be a few hundred meters back from the reservoir. The waterpark across the road is cool and all, but it’s an expensive noisy mission, and not exactly nice and relaxing.

I don't think we need an entire island to build a guillotine.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

freebooter posted:

On the contrary to the wool being pulled over your ageing eyes, you have grown up and come to the correct understanding that the world is a more complex place than it appeared when you were in your late teens or early twenties and were taking your political lessons from tankies.
We didn't have proper tankies back in the early oughts, just fringe communists who manned hopeful booths at other people's protests trying to get a few more washed up weirdos to join their cliques.

To be clear: I don't think my views of that time were substantially wrong, although they were probably more youthfully exuberant and unchallenged. The most salient thing for me is that I used to have right wingers, racists and hawks calling me a liberal as a slur because I believed in peace, international order, healthcare free at the point of care and a generous social safety net. Now I have self-proclaimed leftists calling me a liberal, also as a slur, for essentially unchanged beliefs. What seems to have happened is a bunch of people went so nuts, between America's crimes and the Russian propaganda firehose, that they can no longer really deal with nuanced reality at all. But I can't help acknowledging the possibility that if I suddenly find America under Biden more palatable maybe the problem is I'm not seeing as clearly as I used to.

Solemn Sloth posted:

I’m not sure now is the time to talk about how thank god mainstream American politics has come back from the brink of the early 2000s
In many ways, no. But it's a cool zone, where evading the imminent peril of fascism can mean veering into the sunlit uplands of social democracy and benign hegemony.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Do I need to explain the logic of "Billionaires are the main cause of how hosed things are and can gently caress the hell off"?

It does not matter where you put the pool, it is still restricted area due to catchment for the dam. Full stop. And uhhh.... since when is a public pool NOT noisy? Season pass for Raging Rapids is hundred buck for the season, that's not exactly bad value. The main issue is there's effectively no public transport even if a suitable bike path - actually quite a good one that's getting close to completion - exists from Blacktown.

If you still are keen for a public pool in the area, Blacktown Drive-In has land around it suitable altho Blacktown itself has a public pool already

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Do I need to explain the logic of "Billionaires are the main cause of how hosed things are and can gently caress the hell off"?

It does not matter where you put the pool, it is still restricted area due to catchment for the dam. Full stop. And uhhh.... since when is a public pool NOT noisy? Season pass for Raging Rapids is hundred buck for the season, that's not exactly bad value. The main issue is there's effectively no public transport even if a suitable bike path - actually quite a good one that's getting close to completion - exists from Blacktown.

If you still are keen for a public pool in the area, Blacktown Drive-In has land around it suitable altho Blacktown itself has a public pool already

The problem with billionaires is that they have too much of the money, so if you have a more realistic way to redistribute it than to lure them to a nice dock with a guillotine inject it directly into the state economy by overcharging them for dinner and cocktails at local restaurants, we're all ears. Bearing in mind that the billionaires in question wouldn't otherwise even be in the country.

If the drive-in is the best you can do then fine I'll take it, but I'd rather be surrounded by birds and trees than asphalt and the M4. Also the speedway is closer to the reservoir than some possible locations for the proposed pool. I know it's "restricted", that is what is being reevaluated in this hypothetical.

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Mar 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

oh, so we're in the "trickle down economics is real" phase of buckyposting now? how fascinating