Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

spaceblancmange posted:

fresh in our gpu memory

:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Haha. My great grampa was a cavalry guy in that campaign. He took his shame to his grave

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Lube Enthusiast posted:

funny post. bullshit probe.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I did not probate hooman.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
In the spirit of the holiday (Lenin’s birthday) I’m giving away my three day ticket to Dreamhack Melbourne that’s on this weekend so let me know if you want it before I have to post it on reddit or somewhere awful like that.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
its the new seppo mod like horse guy

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Bloody seppos. Albo said he's going to ban them and I hope he does.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Anidav posted:

I did not probate hooman.

can we shame you for something else?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Non Compos Mentis posted:

can we shame you for something else?

Sure.

I failed to cook a hamburger, ate it thinking it was cooked and realised the middle was kinda pink halfway through.

Thought she will be right mate and kept eating.

Now I have a case of the endless farts and i hope i do not die.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

lol

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Thank you for your service Rigel in defending the ~e-honoure~ of notable rapist Bruce Lehrmann

Anidav posted:

Sure.

I failed to cook a hamburger, ate it thinking it was cooked and realised the middle was kinda pink halfway through.

Thought she will be right mate and kept eating.

Now I have a case of the endless farts and i hope i do not die.

lmao the sins of the other mods come to roost

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/thomas_violence/status/1782950102749057235

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

C'mon are you Charlie or not

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm sorry, user. I'm not Charlie.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

https://x.com/lib_crusher/status/1782961303172301309?s=46&t=OS7bd-x1fz8nJt5ndsmeVw

e: screencap if it doesn’t load

Lube Enthusiast fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Apr 24, 2024

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I asked my mum to ask charlie a question

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Apr 24, 2024

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

JBP posted:

Unacceptable moderation.

yeah gently caress off rigel, we're full.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

the fresh in our memories magic has returned to us

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

lol, every few years for the past what.. 12.. 13 years, a new mod or admin comes in worrying about decorum and wanting us to clean up our act.

hasn't worked yet.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

the many auspol threads, considered as a whole, are a portrait of our surrealist mess of a society

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Veterans Affairs Minister Deanne Kelly says the Federal Government will give more thought to the music played at Gallipoli in the hours before the Anzac Day dawn service.

She says it is unlikely Stayin' Alive will ever again be played before another service at Anzac Cove.
and they say we have no culture

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Veterans Affairs Minister Deanne Kelly says the Federal Government will give more thought to the music played at Gallipoli in the hours before the Anzac Day dawn service.

Some of the more than 17,000 Australians who attended this year's ceremony at Anzac Cove have criticised the playing of the Bee Gees' song Stayin' Alive as part of the overnight entertainment.

"Much as I like the Bee Gees I don't believe that Stayin' Alive is appropriate for a pre Anzac Day service," said the president of New South Wales RSL, Don Rowe.

Mrs Kelly says a large crowd had gathered many hours before the memorial service and a decision was taken to play music videos to entertain the group.

She says it is unlikely Stayin' Alive will ever again be played before another service at Anzac Cove.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

SecretOfSteel posted:

Would it be possible for the Government to step in and explicitly set and control rent (through whatever formula), but just have some way of ensuring that people can afford a house and both live and save for the future. It can't go on without becoming a wrecking ball through hopes for any long term social stability. Even from the ultra-precious economic standpoint its loving poo poo up.

loving landlords/real estate agents won't be happy until they wring every drop of blood out.

Oh yes, very possible. The NSW government did it about 100 years ago. The Reduction of Rent Act 1931 reduced all rents across the board by 22.5% and made leases that didn't recognise this reduction illegal. I think there was also one that prevented landlords from evicting tenants for non-payment without a court order, and if the tenant could prove the non-payment was due to inability to pay, the court could just say the tenant could remain indefinitely.

Obviously both of these laws were wildly unpopular with landlords!

I also reckon something we don't address is that a lot of the solutions we talk about revolve around people/groups who are already within the current system yet there's no mention of roping in individuals/organisations who have housing stock but aren't doing anything with it. E.g. Owners of vacant houses, investment companies who've bought buildings and allowed them to go derelict, etc.

I wish there was some sort of concerted effort to compel individuals/organisations with housing stock that could be used for housing to sell it, rent it out, or bring it up to standard and sell/rent it. Yeah yeah, I get that I'm a wild lefty, the amount of houses probably amounts to not much, and this isn't to say it'd solve all problems, however, it would alleviate some housing pressure.

froglet fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Apr 24, 2024

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/coolestdudeva/status/1783096099097674208

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Federal Opposition Leader Kevin Rudd says he did not request a fake dawn service be held at Long Tan in Vietnam so he could commemorate Anzac Day on live television.

Mr Rudd says he was invited by Channel Seven's Sunrise program to participate in an Anzac Day service at Long Tan but had no discussions about the timing of the broadcast.

Mr Rudd says the reports are completely wrong.

"Anzac Day is sacred for veterans and their families and any suggestion that anyone from my office requested any change to Anzac Day services is absolutely false and absolutely without foundation," he said.

Channel Seven's Lisa Wilkinson has also denied reports staff asked for the timing of the dawn service to be changed.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

I managed to get the digger chatbot to attempt an amusing limerick about Gallipoli, but it wasn't easy, and apparently caused him to reboot.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

so is it possible to trigger charlie by accidentally stepping on some horrific memory or are all his responses "fair dinkum we had some tough times but we pulled through with mateship and larrikinism"

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Nobody:
Absolutely no one:
Literally not one soul:

Peter Fitz: https://x.com/peter_fitz/status/1782646299655123142

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Pretty much

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

lmao

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

this stupid loving country

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Solemn Sloth posted:

Nobody:
Absolutely no one:
Literally not one soul:

Peter Fitz: https://x.com/peter_fitz/status/1782646299655123142

and on the footy tonight the lead commentator for channel 7 declared general lee was all about reuniting the country is it a loving full moon or something

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I don't get the infatuation with Rommel as a "good nazi". He was such a loser that Hitler asked him to kill himself

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The Peccadillo posted:

I don't get the infatuation with Rommel as a "good nazi". He was such a loser that Hitler asked him to kill himself

the myth of the apolitical nazi general provides cover for those who "are just in it for the aesthetics"

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

so is it possible to trigger charlie by accidentally stepping on some horrific memory or are all his responses "fair dinkum we had some tough times but we pulled through with mateship and larrikinism"

See what happens when a car backfires nearby

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

If you ask Charlie about the heathen Turk or the dreaded Hun, he will gently remind you that those terms were propaganda of the time, and that most soldiers understood that the enemy soldiers were just ordinary good boys like them and felt a shared humanity, etc. etc.

If you ask him about anything queer-related, he'll think for a long while before spitting out the exact same non-committal boilerplate every time. I had a bit of luck asking him specifically about cross-dressing though, and whew, Charlie, just... just relax, mate.

It's also fun getting him to talk about soldiers "resorting to violence" against the enemy.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

oh he's from toowoomba, that explains it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
charlie put a wig and dress on for his platoon sometimes

nothing wrong with that