Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

The Artificial Kid posted:

Because LLMs interface linguistically with human users they can probably be hot swapped for something new and better more easily than almost any previous technology in history.

LLMs and this AI craze is going to go the way of 3D TVs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Word cloud for April:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Men’s rights activist Waleed Aly

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
BIG internet

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
electronic cbt network

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Nazi Thing Live Festival

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Crypto festivals going negative

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
"Negative gearing music commissioner" is a powerful one.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
That's just Joe Hockey dancing to American Authors again

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Got Sydney Defamation.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Can someone post this paywalled oped pls

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

freebooter posted:

Just 12ft it. It's good imo. Idk what's being asked of me any more.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

freebooter posted:

https://archive.is/sNppC

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Lehrmann housing day.
Dumb church paying minimum service speed.

lua
Jun 16, 2013

Solemn Sloth posted:

I’d have probably also thought this if I hadn’t read the article by Jess Hill and Salter that he’s referencing, which is pretty convincing. It basically says the data on DV suggests it’s not better in more gender-equal countries and thus improving gender equality is necessary but not sufficient to lower DV. Also that public health interventions work better when they target people at risk (of perpetrating in this case) rather than everyone.

https://jesshill.substack.com/p/rethinking-primary-prevention

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Here's your news dump.

Guardian AU posted:

The sentencing of army whistleblower, David McBride, begins this morning almost five years after he was first charged for his role in leaking secret defence documents about Australia’s involvement in Afghanistan.

The former military lawyer pleaded guilty in the ACT supreme court in December to three offences, including stealing commonwealth information and passing that on to journalists at the Australian Broadcasting Corporation. This morning, supporters and advocates gathered at the ACT supreme court to rally against the federal government’s pursuit of McBride. McBride arrived shortly before 10am, briefly addressing the media and his supporters: "I say to the federal government, stop talking about doing the right thing and actually do the right things."
McBride said he disagreed with a recent ABC Four Corners episode, which questioned McBride’s framing as a “whistleblower”. Asked how he wanted the public to perceive him, McBride said: "As someone that stood up for Australian values in the face of a government who has lost sight."

The sentencing is scheduled to run until Tuesday.

Gross.

Guardian AU posted:

The prime minister says now is the time to “back police” when asked about Western Australia police stopping short of labelling an alleged attack in Perth as terrorism yesterday.

Gross.

Guardian AU posted:

The prime minister was also asked about the pro-Palestine encampments taking place across Australian universities. Specifically, he was asked about the phrase “from the river to the sea” used by protesters, and responded: "It is a slogan that calls for opposition to a two-state solution. My position is very clear and the government’s position is clear and it has been a bipartisan position for a long period of time."

Anthony Albanese continued by saying “the Middle East is a complex issue” that required a “considered response”. Government’s position is very clear, which is [that] the long-term solution in the Middle East requires a two-state solution – the right of Israel to continue to exist within secure borders but the right of Palestinians to have justice as well, to have self-determination and also to be able to live in security, peace and prosperity.

… And I think the slogan that you refer to dismisses that, which is not in the interests of Israelis, but it is not in the interests of Palestinians.

That's loving weird isn't it Albo given that "Judea and Samaria will not be handed to any foreign administration; between the Sea and the Jordan there will only be Israeli sovereignty." was part of the governing party Likud's loving policies. Where's the condemnation of that?

loving strange how this poo poo only cuts one way.

And in good news

Guardian AU posted:

The federal government’s plan to front a stipend for teaching, nursing, midwifery and social work placements has been rejected as a “slap in the face” to students, with the Greens urging Labor to make the payments universal and not limited by degrees.

Students are required to complete hundreds of hours of unpaid placements in a number of courses including psychology, counselling and physiotherapy that are excluded from Labor’s announcement.

Greens deputy leader and spokesperson for education, senator Mehreen Faruqi, said Labor was moving in the right direction but all students should be paid for their hours of work to at least the minimum wage. Labor has suggested the payment be benchmarked to the single Austudy rate of $319.50 a week from 2025.

Great that students who have to do mandatory work to complete their degrees are going to get paid, but also it should be all loving students, gently caress this free work garbage.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
the media really want things to be considered terrorism dont they

they must miss the days of be alert but not alarmed there may be a terrorist behind that pot plant

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The kid was on a terrorism diversion course so maybe it is terrorism

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

hey theres just a skin darkness chart under this terrorism meter

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Synthbuttrange posted:

hey theres just a skin darkness chart under this terrorism meter

He's white tho

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

time to add an incel sticker to it

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
anyone in a terrorist diversion program is a prime candidate for radicalisation by the police.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The program in use was originally designed to de-radicalise Nazis apparently

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

did it work?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It's based on a program from the Netherlands. So I guess not lol

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
i wonder if its going to turn out that people tried reporting this kid to the authorities but the authorities did nothing

or the rare "oops we accidentally radicalised this kid, our bad" - cops

Regular Wario fucked around with this message at 07:55 on May 6, 2024

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

JBP posted:

It's based on a program from the Netherlands. So I guess not lol

I don't normally think of the Dutch as radical so maybe they know how it's done

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Regular Wario posted:

i wonder if its going to turn out that people tried reporting this kid to the authorities but the authorities did nothing

or the rare "oops we accidentally radicalised this kid, our bad" - cops

yeah very much so, they're already reporting that he's been refered to cops and mental health and school.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Synthbuttrange posted:

yeah very much so, they're already reporting that he's been refered to cops and mental health and school.

Also the incident sounds more like "suicide via cop" than terrorism, he actually called the cops beforehand and told them he was going to stab someone

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

The program in use was originally designed to de-radicalise Nazis apparently

He could have got a job with the American government, poor outcome for the kid

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

JBP posted:

The kid was on a terrorism diversion course so maybe it is terrorism

A what? What's a Palastne me so dim dum? Just want to talk to you girls about antisemtism on ca- miss MISS I just w - MISS?!

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 09:08 on May 6, 2024

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

thatbastardken posted:

I don't normally think of the Dutch as radical so maybe they know how it's done

They nearly elected a right-wing anti-Islam pro-Russia populist as PM literally six months ago

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

What is the thread view on HECS and the govt changes?

I'm inclined to think it's middle/upper-class welfare and it's telling that one of the loudest voices on the issue is a Teal.

https://twitter.com/BenPhillips_ANU/status/1787328437461598637

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
means test it on parents income, if your parents are rich you dont get the hecs debt cleared

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
^^ No means testing, just raise taxes.

freebooter posted:

What is the thread view on HECS and the govt changes?

I'm inclined to think it's middle/upper-class welfare and it's telling that one of the loudest voices on the issue is a Teal.

https://twitter.com/BenPhillips_ANU/status/1787328437461598637

If you're proper rich you don't have a HECS debt, your parents pay up front for a discount. This change is to ensure it's indexed at the lower of either CPI or WPI so you don't end up in a debt trap that you can not repay because your wages never grow enough.

Anything taking us towards free education or reducing the cost of education is good.

Go further, make it all free so anyone can go to university too.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I can't read that graph BC I couldn't afford to go to uni someone explain it to me

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

While we’re at it, making the mandatory HECS repayments a flat tax is stupid. My salary currently straddles two brackets, so by salary sacrificing a small amount into my super each month my net pay actually increased

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I can't read that graph BC I couldn't afford to go to uni someone explain it to me

five guys called quint and the 5th one is the tallest

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hooman posted:

^^ No means testing, just raise taxes.

Taxes are already too high. Go tax a resource at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

JBP posted:

Taxes are already too high. Go tax a resource at all.

If they tax coal they'll take all the resources jobs. Why do you hate the working class so much