Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Bucky Fullminster posted:

I know it's "restricted", that is what is being reevaluated in this hypothetical.

Surely this is some sort of performance art piece, no one can be this stupid

Edit: the number of words posted to say exactly nothing is spectacular

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
trickle down bike paths

evaluation of hypothetical bike helmets

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Make the m/billionaires buy bicycles.
Then make the paths toll paths.

Bingo bango, I have raised enough revenue to solve all of societies problems.

I am a genius.

Time to scribble over a map and ignore all suggestions made about my genius plan.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

The problem with billionaires is that they have too much of the money, so if you have a more realistic way to redistribute it than to lure them to a nice dock with a guillotine inject it directly into the state economy by overcharging them for dinner and cocktails at local restaurants, we're all ears. Bearing in mind that the billionaires in question wouldn't otherwise even be in the country.

Yeah I have a proposal. Its called *Tax the ever living poo poo outta them*

Trickle down ecnomics is Reagenisque bullshit that means someone rich is taking a piss on you.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

The Artificial Kid posted:

In many ways, no. But it's a cool zone, where evading the imminent peril of fascism can mean veering into the sunlit uplands of social democracy and benign hegemony.

:coolzone:

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

hooman posted:

I don't think we need an entire island to build a guillotine.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Assessor of Maat posted:

oh, so we're in the "trickle down economics is real" phase of buckyposting now? how fascinating

You’re confusing a closed system for one with a new hose in the window.

This money would otherwise be trickling into the Caribbean or Mediterranean.

Why do you hate supporting local mechanics and hospitality workers.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

We didn't have proper tankies back in the early oughts, just fringe communists who manned hopeful booths at other people's protests trying to get a few more washed up weirdos to join their cliques.

You named John Pilger, for example, who is my go-to example of a 21st century tankie as defined by e.g. what someone thinks about Russia's invasion of Ukraine or Assad using chemical weapons on his own people.

quote:

To be clear: I don't think my views of that time were substantially wrong, although they were probably more youthfully exuberant and unchallenged. The most salient thing for me is that I used to have right wingers, racists and hawks calling me a liberal as a slur because I believed in peace, international order, healthcare free at the point of care and a generous social safety net. Now I have self-proclaimed leftists calling me a liberal, also as a slur, for essentially unchanged beliefs. What seems to have happened is a bunch of people went so nuts, between America's crimes and the Russian propaganda firehose, that they can no longer really deal with nuanced reality at all. But I can't help acknowledging the possibility that if I suddenly find America under Biden more palatable maybe the problem is I'm not seeing as clearly as I used to.

I think about this a lot too; for those of us who were in our late teens and early twenties and therefore became politically aware in the 2000s atmosphere of unquestioned American hegemony and GWOT overreach it is, even on a long timescale, a bit whiplash-inducing to adjust to a world where Russia and China are serious authoritarian powers in a multipolar world, and also the right-wing of American politics is cruising into nascent fascism.

I guess for me it happened so gradually that I never doubted I was still seeing clearly; it was more of a realisation that the Pilgers of the world, or the red triangle watermelon set on Twitter, or the people who post in this particular thread, are in fact fringe viewpoints; which does not necessarily make them always wrong but did make me evaluate their claims more critically. Just because people are saying something contrary to what the Herald Sun is saying doesn't automatically make them right, in the same way that the United States doing bad things does not mean Russia is actually good.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Trickle down ecnomics is Reagenisque bullshit that means someone rich is taking a piss on you.

I’m talking about foreign billionaires silly. “Who otherwise wouldn’t be here”. I don’t think we can just tax them if they don’t choose to come here.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/EnjoyerPang/status/1766682613287432558

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
ALP/KAP Coalition

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Greens on a tear

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

'Horse and sparrow " economics is the better term.

Feed a horse enough oats and eventually some will pass through for sparrows to eat.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

https://x.com/EnjoyerPang/status/1766726522617139404?s=20

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

this isn't any sort of projection it's just someone's half baked guess

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

freebooter posted:

You named John Pilger, for example, who is my go-to example of a 21st century tankie as defined by e.g. what someone thinks about Russia's invasion of Ukraine or Assad using chemical weapons on his own people.

I think about this a lot too; for those of us who were in our late teens and early twenties and therefore became politically aware in the 2000s atmosphere of unquestioned American hegemony and GWOT overreach it is, even on a long timescale, a bit whiplash-inducing to adjust to a world where Russia and China are serious authoritarian powers in a multipolar world, and also the right-wing of American politics is cruising into nascent fascism.

I guess for me it happened so gradually that I never doubted I was still seeing clearly; it was more of a realisation that the Pilgers of the world, or the red triangle watermelon set on Twitter, or the people who post in this particular thread, are in fact fringe viewpoints; which does not necessarily make them always wrong but did make me evaluate their claims more critically. Just because people are saying something contrary to what the Herald Sun is saying doesn't automatically make them right, in the same way that the United States doing bad things does not mean Russia is actually good.

I don’t know when the term tankie was coined but I never heard it back then. I think we’re basically on the same page. The absolute wrong of the war on terror made a bunch of stopped clocks right. But it also seems like a lot of unanswered questions about the west, its socioeconomics and its geopolitics are being bulldozed into a trench by the tech revolution.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Tankie was coined in the 50s but there wasn't much call for contemporary use 20 years ago.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I don’t know when the term tankie was coined

One of the Soviet Bloc countries int he 50's about their fellow citizen who supported the USSR rolling in tanks to rush protests.Might be Hungary but it's along those lines

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
thought it was from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prague_Spring

hmm no this is earlier https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_Revolution_of_1956

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Mar 10, 2024

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
The problem with the soft reforms is that it does nothing to address the material conditions that are exploited by fascist sentiment.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

You’re confusing a closed system for one with a new hose in the window.

This money would otherwise be trickling into the Caribbean or Mediterranean.

Why do you hate supporting local mechanics and hospitality workers.

considering the "new hose in the window" you're spruiking is specifically the sewage outlet of a superyacht, having the space left entirely unused would be the greater public good (and environmental good for that matter)

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
hi mr bucky, can you come up with a plan for a fuckin and suckin place?

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
Sorry, I should have said I know where the word comes from but I don't know when it started being used for segments of the online left/horsehoe tips. It wasn't common twenty years ago. I first noticed it when I came back here after a long hiatus around pandemic time.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
It became common following the Crimean invasion as there was a split of my master right or wrong vs objectively bad that became more and more pronounced of perpetual opposition to US foreign policy, honestly same, to that it meant their opponents were perfectly justified in their actions. Thus tankie is shorthand for online leftists who are also very accepting of genocide when it's the right people doing it or otherwise very hypocritical positions that take a view of only whose doing the act not whether the act itself is wrong. It's counterpart on the right is western war hawks and mega racists, though I honestly think tankies are right wing as they are very pro-fascism when it's their people.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I’m talking about foreign billionaires silly. “Who otherwise wouldn’t be here”. I don’t think we can just tax them if they don’t choose to come here.

Then their home loving country can tax the everliving poo poo out of them so they cant buy their 5th yacht. They are the only boat people I dont want to ever see here.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Lid posted:

It's counterpart on the right is western war hawks and mega racists, though I honestly think tankies are right wing as they are very pro-fascism when it's their people.
Absolutely they're authoritarian to the bone. The kind of people who are just waiting for someone to hand them an AK so they can line up the normies. Seeing tankies in action is how I've finally come to understand the hippies-turned-neocons who were such a puzzle in 2002. I realise now that the missing link was that narcissistic, authoritarian cunts who secretly despise and think themselves superior to everyone else flock together.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah it originates from Hungary in '56 but in contemporary usage, to me, it's now divorced from communism/capitalism; I just think it means somebody who considers the US to be evil and all their other opinions flow from and are subjugate to that starting point. It's the extreme point of the tribalism that you can see in a less deranged form in e.g. Australian Twitter drips.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Assessor of Maat posted:

considering the "new hose in the window" you're spruiking is specifically the sewage outlet of a superyacht, having the space left entirely unused would be the greater public good (and environmental good for that matter)

No it's a literal money hose pumping millions of new dollars directly into the economy via exorbitant mooring fees.

Non Compos Mentis posted:

we have brothels already

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Then their home loving country can tax the everliving poo poo out of them

ok but changing other countries' tax codes is a bit much even for me.

And sorry if there was any confusion, but yeah I'm not talking about Australia's 60-70 meter "nice big boats", I'm talking about international loving super-yachts. Who have to spend their money elsewhere cos there's no where for them to dock here. Which means local businesses miss out.

But mooring facility aside, we agree on the rest? Get some theatres down there never mind the specifics, just "return to the public" instead?

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 10, 2024

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

hooman posted:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Sneed’s Feed & Seed
(formerly Bucky’s)

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

webmeister posted:

Sneed’s Feed & Seed
(formerly Bucky’s)

:dudsmile:

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

webmeister posted:

Sneed’s Feed & Seed
(formerly Bucky’s)

Vooze
Oct 29, 2011

webmeister posted:

Sneed’s Feed & Seed
(formerly Bucky’s)

:discourse:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Fanfic is getting weird these days.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
Bucky has a point. If we set up a honeypot trap for the billionaires we can introduce more of them to Mr Guillotines and then gut their superyatchts for parts.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Konomex posted:

Bucky has a point. If we set up a honeypot trap for the billionaires we can introduce more of them to Mr Guillotines and then gut their superyatchts for parts.
Counterpoint -

We could just advertise the jetty and take over the yachts in international waters. Thus saving on inconvenient legal consequences. Maybe get some Somalis in on 457 visas to show us how.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Piracy courses at TAFE

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

hooman posted:

We'd still need to get them here though. I’m told Sydney Airport is at capacity, and lol if you think they’re going to get the metro from Badgerys Creek.

(And not that it matters but technically not an island any more.)

Ok so you guys don't want hundreds of millions of virtually free extra dollars per year by just letting boats tie up here. We'll just keep using it to store massive and almost entirely pointless navy boats. Even the 5 storey carpark there underneath Embarkation Park alone would be worth billions.

Semi-seriously, I've never really understood when they say things like "This Event brought millions of dollars into the economy". Like, no, you just moved money from from one person's account to another. Now one person has a bit more, and one person has a bit less. On a "town" level, sure, but on a national level, the total amount of money in the economy remains the same. Is is it just because the transaction is taxed? Anyway, THIS is how you get actually more money in the economy.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Semi-seriously, I've never really understood when they say things like "This Event brought millions of dollars into the economy". Like, no, you just moved money from from one person's account to another. Now one person has a bit more, and one person has a bit less. On a "town" level, sure, but on a national level, the total amount of money in the economy remains the same. Is is it just because the transaction is taxed? Anyway, THIS is how you get actually more money in the economy.

Not always, but in principle, when you circulate money through the economy more flows to people on lower incomes, addressing inequality and stimulating growth (as they then have more to spend). Money locked up in bank accounts is of most use to banks. Money that is spent on goods and services produces benefits (and yes sometimes taxes) several times - I give $20 to the fish and chips shop, they spend part on wages, part to buy the fish, part on water/electricity/rent - then the people who got it as wages spend it on new clothes for their kids, petrol at the service station - that pays for the wages of the kmart checkout person, the people at the servo - etc. The more and faster the same money circulates, the more economic activity and value is produced- is the theory. And yes, this activity gets taxed too at many points. A lot of it flows nationally because we have national supply chains and our cities are big enough proportions of our population and economy that something major in Sydney or Melbourne can have an effect on national figures.

Obviously this is more complex practically and in real life. But that’s the principle, and it’s important for how our economy works. When demand dries up it (eg. We can’t spent money because mortgages/rents are sucking up our disposable income) can cause everything to break because the money gets concentrated in the hands of a smaller group of banks/landlords and less of it is diffused throughout the whole economy. Ideally and in theory it would be being invested in new business ventures etc but due to the busted structural design of our economy and government incentives it doesn’t.

This is also why tax is important; government spends most (or sometimes more) than it receives in tax and this has a large stimulus effect for the economy. Even more so if it’s investing tax receipts in things that enable more spending and growth (eg infrastructure, education…). It’s also why simply increasing the dole does a lot of good for the economy as poor people generally spend 100% of their money.

Idiots in Australia have become addicted to the dumb idea that we have to “live within our means” in terms of not running deficits, but the government budget doesn’t work like a credit card, it should be totally fine to spend more than we take in tax if it promotes growth (which we can then tax).

Inflation makes this all a bit more complex but it’s overwhelmingly being driven by factors overseas.

This is why big events that shake things up and in theory get people out and spending are good - big events employ tons of people locally and flow through to other businesses. In practice…depends. Big sporting events like the Olympics are classic costs typically outweigh the benefits situations because the government does overspend and doesn’t do a good job of capturing all the potential opportunities. Especially building dumb poo poo that is a bad idea afterwards.

Blamestorm fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

We'd still need to get them here though. I’m told Sydney Airport is at capacity, and lol if you think they’re going to get the metro from Badgerys Creek.

There is in fact capacity at Kingsford Smith. Nancy Bird is more likely to get freight otherwise esp given 24/7 operations

quote:

Ok so you guys don't want hundreds of millions of virtually free extra dollars per year by just letting boats tie up here. We'll just keep using it to store massive and almost entirely pointless navy boats. Even the 5 storey carpark there underneath Embarkation Park alone would be worth billions.

Absolutly correct we dont want it. Billionaire pollution can just gently caress the hell off.