Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

What the gently caress.

Greatest OP of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

WTF just happened

Last Week Me, ironically: Save us raptorfag.
Earlier Today Me, unironically: Save us raptorfag.

As a non joke response: Someone scratched a centrist and we all got to see who bled.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

hambeet posted:

lol yeah

I'm just saying, this never happened when hambeet was making the threads.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

...the dictionary defines racism as...

*starts countdown*

Captain Theron posted:

It's really bizarre. He didn't even get that much prodding, just a few questions, a bit of push back, and he completely flipped his lid, ranting about secret groups trying to destroy 'his' country.

A friend of mine recently said to me something that really stuck with me. If your politics are based on whatever makes you personally least uncomfortable rather than positions being ethically or morally defensible you can't make a distinction between criticisms of your positions and/or actions and personal attacks. So instead of apologising for being wrong and having done harm, i.e. owning your mistakes, you continue to try to minimise discomfort by going on the attack at the source of the discomfort which is the person pointing out you did harm.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Do I really need to explain the logic behind giving billionaires a place to open their wallets

Also the pool would be a few hundred meters back from the reservoir. The waterpark across the road is cool and all, but it’s an expensive noisy mission, and not exactly nice and relaxing.

I don't think we need an entire island to build a guillotine.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
The problem with the soft reforms is that it does nothing to address the material conditions that are exploited by fascist sentiment.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I guarantee that every cent taken from any billionaire I guillotine will go to women's shelters.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

hambeet posted:

homosexual steamroller sounds pretty gay

I'm in.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

froglet posted:

This is very auspol-tangential, but Lee Lin Chin is auctioning off some of her clothing...

Go forth and become the tiny, immaculately dressed newsreader you want to see in the world!

Also, this week in places nobody cares about Perth...

People keep daring to move to inner city areas and *gasp* have babies, and expect the state government to adequately provide public schools for them?! For shame!

But seriously how did they not see this coming from a million miles off? Or did they, and thought "nah she'll be right"?

Chronic under-investment and overpacking of students into schools?

Say it ain't so!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Guardian AU posted:

Australia’s science agency, CSIRO, has rejected Peter Dutton’s claim its estimates of the cost of renewables are unreliable.

CSIRO chief executive, Douglas Hilton, has warned that maintaining trust “requires our political leaders to resist the temptation to disparage science”, rejecting Dutton’s comments about its GenCost report.

But the opposition leader has doubled down, repeating his incorrect claim on Friday that the report does not properly cost renewables and transmission required to integrate them into the grid.

Dutton disparaging CSIRO.

Guardian AU posted:

Some Coles workers say an offer from the supermarket giant of in-store gift cards if they vote to accept a new enterprise agreement is “insulting”, and the agreement doesn’t give them a meaningful pay rise despite the company’s increased profits.

The SDA has hailed the proposed agreement as improving wages and allowances, enabling fairer rostering and including better leave provisions.

But the RAFFWU has decried it as undermining safety conditions, introducing split shifts and tying any pay rise only to Fair Work’s annual wage review, which increases award minimums. Under the agreement, a level one Coles worker would earn $25.27 per hour, just 54 cents above the award base rate.
Coles posted a 4.8% rise in annual profit to $1.1bn last financial year and has been accused of inflationary profiteering amid the cost-of-living crisis. The company has defended its pricing and said it was working hard to keep goods affordable.

Since bargaining opened, the RAFFWU has been campaigning for a minimum wage of $29 an hour, the abolition of junior rates (which still apply to Coles workers for two years after they turn 18), as well as better job security and safer workplaces. Its members took rolling strike action in stores across the country in the lead-up to Christmas. SDA members did not take industrial action.

Lol, loving coles. loving SDA, scab rear end loving union.

hooman fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 15, 2024

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Eediot Jedi posted:

Keep junior rates two years after they turn 18?

Yeah raised my eyebrows too, loving cunts:

Woolies is no better, it all comes from the award, same pay for same work should be a bedrock of industrial relations law and instead it's gently caress you if you're under 20.

In better news:

Guardian AU posted:

Australia is reinstating funding to a key UN aid agency amid growing concerns about the worsening humanitarian crisis in Gaza. The foreign minister, Penny Wong, announced the decision to unfreeze $6m in emergency funding for UNRWA on Friday, as part of a broader package of support. Australia was among more than a dozen donor countries to suspend funding to the agency in late January, after the Israeli government alleged that 12 UNRWA staff members were involved in the 7 October Hamas-led attacks on Israel. Friday’s decision to reinstate funding follows similar moves by Canada and Sweden.

Wong told reporters in Adelaide:
We took a decision to pause $6m of additional funding … after serious allegations were made resulting in UNRWA’s dismissal of staff alleged to have been involved in the Hamas terrorist attacks of 7 October. The nature of these allegations warranted an immediate and appropriate response. The best available current advice from agencies and the Australian government lawyers is that UNRWA is not a terrorist organisation and that existing additional safeguards sufficiently protect Australian taxpayer funding. We have been working with a group of donor countries and UNRWA on the shared objective of ensuring the integrity of UNRWA’s obligations, rebuilding confidence, and ensuring that aid flows to Gazans in desperate need …On that basis, and after consideration by the national security committee this week, Australia is unpausing our contribution to UNRWA.

Whoops.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Scott Morrison’s farewell Shire dinner canned amid lack of RSVPs - Sydney Morning Herald

I heard that 10 ministers were going to be attending.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I watched 4 beat cops stroll right past a situation on public property very obviously at risk of erupting into a brawl at work tonight lol

E: realistically in hindsight that was probably for the best. Maybe police should just do that all the time.

In an ideal world they'd step in to use de-escalation skills to prevent anything bad from happening.

In the real world they were probably in a rush because they heard a poor person hadn't been sufficiently beaten nearby.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Basically, the ABC demonstrated its ideological opposition to nuclear. Yet when the discussion of why Nuclear has suffered under such resistance that has pushed up its costs, the O&G industry conspiracy is invoked as to why it had to be shuttered in Germany, can't get ahead in Australia, etc.

The reason why nuclear has not been done in Australia is because neither the Labor party nor the LNP have supported it while in government, both have been much happier to keep fossil fuels going.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

We have taken note of recent results and decided the correct course of action is:
1) more attacks on the greens political party
2) more policies from the LNP

Everyone always says they want policies but then you give them policies and they're all "ablooo bloo bloo my franklin credits"

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
In loving horrible news, inquest into NSW cops killing a kid after stopping him for wearing a hoodie on a 23 degree day continues.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-03-17/nsw-police-shot-western-sydney-man-bradley-balzan-inquest/103592578

Don't read this if you're already feeling a bit poo poo, because it's deeply loving sad.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

SecretOfSteel posted:

Did I read right? Plain clothes police jump out of car and grab kid by the arm because he was acting "suspicious" (no further explanation needed) and shockingly he legs it back to the safety of his home. I mean "safety" jfc.

We need a police version of the Joe Hildebrand banner (you know the one).

Yep, pretty much. Unbadged cops jump a kid who's been mugged before, grab him without legally being able to do so, he legs it and then they shoot him in his own backyard because "he grabbed an officer's gun".

Maybe loving cops shouldn't have guns if they can't keep hold of them. Absolutely loving sickening.

Note this happened in 2020 and the investigation is only finalising now in 2024. I wonder if those same loving pigs have been harassing kids for no reason the whole time since.

ABC Original Article posted:

His grandmother Nola Balzan said one of the undercover officers asked, "What are you doing?" but failed to disclose he was with the police force.

"He ignored them, which, if you didn't know a person, you would ignore them — then they kept following him and he said something like 'I am sick of this, f-off' and he ran because he was scared," she said.

Didn't even tell him they were loving cops. God drat.

hooman fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 18, 2024

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

I had WA cops heavy me three times returning to my home in Highgate from the pub to the point that I recognised one of them, and even then they continued to threaten and intimidate me. I never gave them my personal information (I showed them my keys and explained I was entering my home and they were free to observe) and they hated me for it.

Also very scary having three huge dickheads following you home in the middle of the night.

What this dude did is totally natural and within his rights they should lock these cunts up for murder.

That loving sucks dude and I'm sorry that keeps happening to you. loving pigs.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Guardian AU posted:

New South Wales police have rejected calls from the state’s police watchdog for updated training and protocols for officers on the use of force, especially when handcuffing children, after a scathing report handed down last year. In its Operation Mantus report, the NSW law enforcement conduct commission (Lecc) said the way police were trained should be changed and ongoing education provided to officers. Among its 19 recommendations, the commission said there was the need for “ongoing assessment as to whether it is appropriate to leave the person handcuffed after the arrest”. The police rejected the recommendation, along with another three, saying that when any police power is used the “involved officer must justify the use of that power”.

What a pack of loving cunts.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Guardian AU posted:

Hot cross buns, chips and breakfast cereals are being downsized even as supermarkets retain or lift prices for the shrunken products, new research shows.

Research from consumer advocacy group Choice has called out Woolworths and Coles for reducing the size of some home-brand cereal packs from 560g to 495g but keeping the price at $4.50. The size reduction is equivalent to a 13% price hike per serve for Coles’ Mighty Grain and Woolworths’ Max Charge. Coles also lifted the price of its home-brand cornflakes product by 20 cents to $2.10, while cutting the package size from 475g to 440g, amounting to an effective price hike of almost 20%.
Last October, Woolworths reduced its home-brand corn chips packs from 200g to 175g without cutting the price, representing a 14% increase to the cost per serve. Hot cross buns from Community Co have also shrunk by almost 23%. The IGA in-house brand has hiked prices for traditional and chocolate buns to $4.50, from $4 last year, while servings have reduced from 480g to 450g.
Woolworths blamed the hidden price hikes on changing manufacturing facilities, shortages of raw materials and increased supplier costs. Coles similarly said their suppliers had cut pack sizes to “simplify production and supply chain”.

Paying 19 year olds 20% less, so you can pay 20% more! gently caress you, that's why!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Guardian AU posted:

Legal proceedings to determine compensation for almost 1,700 workers illegally sacked by Qantas have heard the airline would have still outsourced the jobs the following year due to financial targets and Australia’s tight Covid restrictions.

Compensation hearings continued on Wednesday to resolve the years-long legal battle between the Transport Workers Union (TWU) and Qantas over its decision to outsource jobs across 10 airports in late 2020. The federal court found the move to be illegal because it acted against protections in the Fair Work Act, and was in part driven by a desire to avoid industrial action.
Qantas, in making the argument the workers would have been retrenched regardless the following year, is seeking to downplay the amount of money its workers would have earned had the unlawful outsourcing not occurred. Meanwhile, the TWU has suggested total compensation could exceed $100m.
“The business had financial targets, those financial targets were set with regard to how the business needed to recover coming out of the pandemic with an expectation that it would be competing with a leaner and meaner domestic competitor,” he said, referring to Virgin Australia, which underwent administration during the pandemic.

Your honor, 'twas the business targets that made us break the law, you can hardly hold us responsible for those!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

why are zooper doopers so loving difficult to open?

skill issue

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Spookydonut posted:

the local town that was fighting to make the adani coal mine happen is now having adani fight to not employ anyone from that town and instead do 100% fifo

Adani must have missed the punctuation.

All local jobs?
no. FIFO!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Captain Theron posted:

God I haven't missed Abetz, he's such a slimy fucker.

You only miss a nazi if the fucker ducks.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

It's very funny that apparently Labor would simply lose rather than negotiate with a minority government in a democratic manner

Centrists picking right wing dominance over making concessions to the left? Say it ain't so!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Guardian AU posted:

Nineteen people were arrested at a pro-Palestine protest at Port Botany in Sydney on Sunday night.

Protesters, including members of the Maritime Union of Australia, were demonstrating against the Israel-owned ZIM shipping company. Among those arrested was MUA’s Sydney branch secretary, Paul Keating, New South Wales police confirmed. Police said they had responded to an unauthorised protest at 6.50pm on Sunday.

Police alleged the group had moved to Penrhyn Road which leads to the Patrick Terminals facility on the dock, “blocking the roadway and access to the port”, about 9.30pm. They were directed to move but police said some had not complied and were arrested for disobeying police direction. The 19 people arrested were taken to Surry Hills police station.

They were all charged with obstructing a driver/other pedestrian’s path, failing to comply with a move along direction, and remaining near/on a major facility and causing serious disruption. They were issued with a field court attendance notice to appear at Downing Centre local court on 8 May.

Unionists for Palestine said members of the MUA Sydney branch had been arrested as part of the demonstration, including Keating. MUA Sydney has been contacted for comment. Keating had previously urged the federal and state governments to call for a permanent ceasefire in Gaza, and for sanctions to be placed on Israel.

Good on them.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

ShoeFly posted:

aka successfully protesting?

It's illegal to successfully protest.

edit: LMFAO

Guardian AU posted:

NSW police officers at pro-Palestine rally allegedly wore badges associated with rightwing extremism

“Several officers were observed wearing thin blue line patches, an iconography associated with fascist movements,” a spokesperson for Legal Observers NSW said on Monday. “Many of these officers were the most aggressive with protestors.”

loving god drat pigs man.

hooman fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 25, 2024

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

Labor are owning the immigrants again.

Guardian AU posted:

Hundreds of immigration detainees and unlawful non-citizens are being threatened with a minimum of one year in prison if they refuse to cooperate with efforts to deport them, under an urgent Labor bill to be introduced on Tuesday.

The bill requires non-citizens “to cooperate in efforts to ensure their prompt and lawful removal”, creating criminal penalties that could apply to a class of asylum seekers that includes two plaintiffs before the high court challenging the legality of the detention of people who refuse to cooperate with deportation.

On Tuesday the immigration minister, Andrew Giles, introduced the Migration Amendment (removals and other measures) bill, which gives him the power to direct a non-citizen who is due to be deported “to do specified things necessary to facilitate their removal”.

Phew, good thing Labor caved to increasing violence against refugees yet again, this surely won't be a ratchet this time!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

It's because they're about to get owned by the high court again. Then they'll probably get owned by the high court on the new legislation as well lmao.

Hah, good, I hope they do.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

I think the electorate might be a bit racist

I feel that's because the racism dial keeps getting turned up to distract from the actual causes of problems within our society.

It's not single mums on welfare or dole bludgers either.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Synthbuttrange posted:

Lmao eat poo poo labor. Killed in senate.

loving amazing.

Guardian AU posted:

Labor’s controversial deportation bill will not pass the Senate on Wednesday, after the Coalition and the Greens teamed up to delay it for at least six weeks for a further inquiry.

In what the independent senator David Pocock labelled an “almighty backfire” for Labor, the Albanese government failed to win bipartisan support for a bill threatening non-citizens with prison if they don’t cooperate with their deportation.

Despite voting with the government to pass the bill in the House of Representatives on Tuesday, the opposition announced on Wednesday morning that Labor had failed to make the case for the bill’s urgency.

Pocock dabbing on them.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

They keep thinking that out duttoning Dutton will make them escape the high court and they didn't anticipate that Dutton would just use the senate and the Greens to stop them long enough for the high court to bite them in the rear end.

All this over a gay Iranian who doesn't want to be deported back to Iran to his death, by the way and Labor wants this bill so they can forcefully deport him to his death regardless of his objections then place a travel ban on Iran so they can automatically send back fleeing Iranians to their death.

I still find it infinitely grim that the LNP gave us gay marriage and the ALP torpedoed a First Nations voice.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I would be very interested in a version of the AFL where players could do all the blow they wanted tbh. I don't think it should replace the main competition but it probably would. And I'd watch it

Did you not watch the AFL in the 2000s?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Hashy posted:

Anyway they're cringe and fail right? Can we all agree that they're funded by big oil? fail, cringe and a false flag. If we (the converted) keep doing cringe then labor won't be in power to reach the 2048 zero-carbon brisbane train network target

Did you fall and hit your head?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Hashy posted:

The way to their heart is to post continuously and smugly about how the liberals are going to be in power as long as labor creeps left

What are you actually talking about? This weird irony posting isn't actually making a point, if you have an argument, make it rather. Railing against something that you're clearly mad about but aren't willing to directly say is worthless.

Anyway, in loving unsurprising but gross news:

Guardian AU posted:

Former AFL player Eddie Betts shares video of racist abuse hurled at children playing in yard

Betts shared the security camera footage on social media on Thursday night showing a white car driving down a street before slowing down in front of a home. A person then yells out racial slurs. The footage shared on Instagram shows four children playing basketball in the fenced yard as the car drives past.

loving racist freaks. I am glad Betts is using his profile to keep working to draw attention to how dire the racism is in this country. What a loving awful and thankless task.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Non Compos Mentis posted:

some form of electric footpath

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Have you tried being Bruce Lehrmann? Channel 7 will pay your rent for you.

I don't think it was the "Bruce Lehrmann" part of LNP staffer and alleged rapist Bruce Lehrmann that had channel 7 handing over cash.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

What the gently caress is your problem dude no I don't can you stop misrepresenting literally everything I post dude

I see you haven't spoken to Bucky before.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Comstar posted:

Ten wins bombshell bid to reopen defence in Lehrmann case

I await the news that Bruce Lehrmann continues to face no consequences for his crimes.

Guardian AU posted:

Auerbach also alleges in his affidavit that Lehrmann paid for illicit drugs and sex workers after an after-dinner meeting at the Meriton Sydney on 5 January 2023. Auerback claims Lehrmann was reimbursed by Seven through “per diems” via invoice emailed to a Spotlight staff member in the days after his departure from Sydney. He could not provide a copy of the invoice and the allegations have yet to be tested by the court. Auerbach has provided receipts in the affidavit showing eight separate charges for Sensai Thai Massage on 26 November 2022, totalling $10,315.

Other expenses allegedly incurred in the course of securing the exclusive interview with Lehrmann were a $555 meal at the Chophouse Restaurant in Sydney, a round of golf at Barnbougle, Tasmania and related equipment for $401, Randwick accommodation for three weeks totalling $11,738, a meal at Franca restaurant in Sydney for $517, a $450 bill at the Spice Temple, Sydney, a $259 bill at the Bridport Hotel in Tasmania and taxi and flight costs.

Auerbach said Spotlight executive producer Mark Llewellyn had approved the expenses, including flight costs, an extension of the Randwick property and Lehrmann’s alleged request for accommodation with a Jacuzzi.
:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Eediot Jedi posted:

welp the masseuse story broke on the 21st of march lmao by Samantha Maiden. I don't remember seeing it posted here or seeing it on ABC at all.
https://www.news.com.au/national/se...a7702a995d?amp=

This is a good summary of what's in the documents.

https://www.news.com.au/national/ns...ac8a21d0d67b453

Seven are obviously claiming the allegations are false and haven't been tested. The person testifies Thursday arvo. Basically they are calling bullshit that Bruce never provided documents to Seven and that Bruce was never paid for his interview beyond reasonable travel/accommodation.

I wonder if they'll get Boeing'd in the meantime.