Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

hambeet posted:

Wait, people open them? I’ve never seen anyone use anything other than scissors or a knife.

There is a forbidden technique of tearing them in half that's moderately successful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Some aldi cleaning products rate very highly as well. Its nice paying $3 for a kg of laundry powder, instead of $20 for 500g

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

JBP posted:

The liberal party says that they believe in freedom, choice and competition. The Labor party believes in ????? enforced by party line.

ftfy

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Spookydonut posted:

real talk is sevenwest media going to go bankrupt from all these defamation cases they keep losing

Theoretically they have to release their financials so the market knows what's going on, so you could probably look up how much they are spending to look like absolute gently caress wits.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Seemlar posted:

I saw one article estimating his costs (not including his still running cases?) at around 1-2 million, and 5-6 million if costs got awarded against him for the lost case

Unemployed nobody with a disregard for consent sure seems to have some deep pocketed, unidentified patrons

I reckon its 50/50 wether or not someone else picks up the tab at this stage

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

thatbastardken posted:

Dutton would never be cool enough to get a tattoo

But he is the sort of dickhead to say "You wouldnt put bumper sticks on a maserati" while being 40kg overweight, unable to run more than 300m without blowing up and having a blood pressure that doctors would call "Catastrophic"

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

JBP posted:

There's no meaningful impact on house prices from killing negative gearing,

citation needed

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

JBP posted:

Aus Institute from memory. Please read the posts.

https://treasury.gov.au/sites/default/files/2019-03/Equality-Rights-Alliance-att-2.pdf

quote:

There is a strong argument to the effect that rather than necessarily increasing the supply of real
estate negative gearing has the effect of increasing the prices of existing real estate. According to
Eslake
[negative gearing] does nothing to increase the supply of housing, since the vast majority of landlords
buy established properties. Precisely for that reason, it contributes to upward pressure on the prices of
established dwellings, thereby diminishing housing affordability for would-be home buyers… The
revenue forgone through negative gearing could alternatively be used to build nearly 20,000 new
''affordable'' homes each year, making substantial inroads into the massive shortage of affordable
housing(Eslake, 2011).
Hanegbi makes the point that since negative gearing has the effect of increasing prices then it tends
to redistribute wealth towards those who own real estate and away from those that do not.2 That of
course favours the already wealthy at the expense of the already poor. That has the effect of
worsening the distribution of wealth and resources in Australia.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Pleasant Friend posted:

I don't understand this situation. On some reports I've seen them just talk about wanting 'graphic videos' banned, which I would assume was already banned from twitters TOS?

Lol, no, Elon scrapped a lot of that stuff when he came in, along with the content moderation team that policed it

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

JBP posted:

Which is why I don't see negative gearing as anything more than a tiktok flamewar special.

Def gonna believe some schmuck on the internet, rather than all the economists and researchers who say its a big part of the problem.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-04-23/bruce-lehrmann-refused-settle-offer-network-ten-wilkinson/103755196

“Court documents reveal Bruce Lehrmann refused offer to settle defamation action before trial with Network Ten, Lisa Wilkinson began“

‘You want the free money or the media circus?’
‘CIRCUSCIRCUSCIRCUS!!’

I read somewhere that they explicitly said "No money will change hands" in the settlement

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

gay picnic defence posted:

The value of diamonds isn't really tied to the fact they have an actual use besides being a store of wealth, you can't use industrial grade diamonds for jewellery and as much as you could theoretically smash up gem quality diamonds to make abrasives you probably don't want to.

You can use lab grown diamonds for jewellery though, except for the fact that people seem to really like having child slave labour involved in making their shiny rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

How TF are you reading smh links

https://12ft.io/

The better question is why TF are you reading smh links