Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
This is very auspol-tangential, but Lee Lin Chin is auctioning off some of her clothing...

Go forth and become the tiny, immaculately dressed newsreader you want to see in the world!

Also, this week in places nobody cares about Perth...

People keep daring to move to inner city areas and *gasp* have babies, and expect the state government to adequately provide public schools for them?! For shame!

But seriously how did they not see this coming from a million miles off? Or did they, and thought "nah she'll be right"?

froglet fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

gay picnic defence posted:

Is there anywhere to actually put new schools in those areas? Wouldn’t nearly all the land already be used for other poo poo?

Even if there isn't, this sort of thing is exactly why eminent domain and compulsory acquisition laws exist.

Non Compos Mentis posted:

The children yearn for the mines

But really I want it to be this :v:

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Ok we’ve established that Bruce has expensive tastes, from hookers to golf to eyewateringly expensive lawsuits. Who is funding this guy now that channel 7 isn’t? Because disgraced former ministerial staffer doesn’t pay real well. Could this be a CIA operation?

Did he really think this kind of thing would never get out?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

The laptop used to leak sealed info to the media coincidentally had a browser bookmark to the exact same university Lehrmann happened to be studying at. Funny, that! :v:

Hardly a smoking gun, but given somebody at Channel 7 has already testified he leaked the info... It's not the best look.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Woolies ceo was threatened with 6 months jail for avoiding answering senate committees questions

They should do it, dont give him the five grand fine, make him sit in jail

I wish they'd stop threatening it and just do it. I mean, it's a colossal waste of time and taxpayers money, but so is wasting senators time like that.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-04-17/nsw-sydney-bondi-junction-stabbing-defamation-benjamin-cohen/103734072

Channel 7 getting sued by the not-stabber.

----

dont forage mushrooms unless you're absolutely sure about what you're doing!!!!

A while back some scientists picked up a packet of mushrooms at a supermarket, DNA tested them, and discovered three new species.

Now imagine if one of those looked identical to eating mushrooms, but was poisonous... :stare:

Given how the results of consuming seemingly identical mushrooms can be wildly unpredictable, I am surprised humanity has survived thus far. 🍄

Since I'm on a mushroom roll, here's another bonkers mushroom story... Mushrooms can survive (and thrive!) in a wide range of environments, including inside one guys bloodstream after he decided to inject himself with magic mushroom tea. :stonk:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's been recent reports about AI-generated mushroom foraging books being sold on Amazon which were full of bullshit advice

Oh nooo :magical:

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

NPR Journalizard posted:

while being 40kg overweight, unable to run more than 300m without blowing up and having a blood pressure that doctors would call "Catastrophic"

Why must you come at me like this :v:

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I swear I thought I saw ScoMo earlier tonight but it was just a guy that looked like him. I nearly jumped.

This reminded me that way back when there was an auspoller who shared in the thread that (for reasons that remain unclear to me) their housemate (? Or possibly partner?) got a full-sized cardboard cutout of Julia Gillard and it's shadow/silhouette in their house was regularly scaring the living daylights out of them and their guests.

Now tonight's intrusive thought is having a Tony Abbott or ScoMo cutout and upsetting my husband with it :v:

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Blamestorm posted:

I think you’re right, but it will take like twenty years even with the best policy changes. So many people would be screwed by a crash (people whose mortgages would exceed the values of their homes) the government would pull every lever it has to avoid it. It would be a political nightmare.

I don’t think domestic capital is a limitation because there will be enough international capital to keep it going if politicians want to prop up markets.

It's already a political nightmare. There's families where both parents are employed, yet they can't afford somewhere to live, so they live at campgrounds.

Nobody wants to make any tough decisions that would (rightfully) prioritise the interests of the have-nots, since anything that would make housing more affordable would come at the expense of the overleveraged haves.

In the mean time, things aren't getting better. Dunno about anyone here, but in the past six months my local park has gone from not having any rough sleepers to our local council periodically sending security guards to move on people sleeping rough or living in their cars.

People don't have anywhere to go and it's awful :smith:

Edit coz this discussion is getting depressing.

Meanwhile this development with the Bruce Lehrmann defamation case definitely gave me a giggle:

Bruce Lehrmann refused offer to settle defamation action with Ten before trial began, court documents reveal

Link

froglet fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 23, 2024

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

SecretOfSteel posted:

Would it be possible for the Government to step in and explicitly set and control rent (through whatever formula), but just have some way of ensuring that people can afford a house and both live and save for the future. It can't go on without becoming a wrecking ball through hopes for any long term social stability. Even from the ultra-precious economic standpoint its loving poo poo up.

loving landlords/real estate agents won't be happy until they wring every drop of blood out.

Oh yes, very possible. The NSW government did it about 100 years ago. The Reduction of Rent Act 1931 reduced all rents across the board by 22.5% and made leases that didn't recognise this reduction illegal. I think there was also one that prevented landlords from evicting tenants for non-payment without a court order, and if the tenant could prove the non-payment was due to inability to pay, the court could just say the tenant could remain indefinitely.

Obviously both of these laws were wildly unpopular with landlords!

I also reckon something we don't address is that a lot of the solutions we talk about revolve around people/groups who are already within the current system yet there's no mention of roping in individuals/organisations who have housing stock but aren't doing anything with it. E.g. Owners of vacant houses, investment companies who've bought buildings and allowed them to go derelict, etc.

I wish there was some sort of concerted effort to compel individuals/organisations with housing stock that could be used for housing to sell it, rent it out, or bring it up to standard and sell/rent it. Yeah yeah, I get that I'm a wild lefty, the amount of houses probably amounts to not much, and this isn't to say it'd solve all problems, however, it would alleviate some housing pressure.

froglet fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Apr 24, 2024

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

hooman posted:

I like how in the rest of the forums it's like "Don't talk to the Australians, they're all insane." and we're standing behind them, bug-eyed and nodding emphatically.

Well yeah, we're all mad here. Caring is a maddening business hobby.

For crying out loud, surely it wasn't that long ago there were shocking news articles about people being loaned way more than they could reasonably afford??

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Regular Wario posted:

means test it on parents income, if your parents are rich you dont get the hecs debt cleared

Just coz your parents are rich doesn't mean your folks will give you money.

hooman posted:

^^ No means testing, just raise taxes.

If you're proper rich you don't have a HECS debt, your parents pay up front for a discount. This change is to ensure it's indexed at the lower of either CPI or WPI so you don't end up in a debt trap that you can not repay because your wages never grow enough.

Anything taking us towards free education or reducing the cost of education is good.

Go further, make it all free so anyone can go to university too.

Nah, the discount hasn't been a thing for a while now, but agree reducing the cost of education is a good thing.

There's heaps of people who either have a huge balance (e.g. junior doctors - yeah sure they might make the big bucks in 15 years, but for the time being they're not making any real inroads on their HECS), or their degree doesn't necessarily lead to roles with remuneration commensurate with the required educational attainment.

I think my main thing about this is its touted as a great thing, when it'd be better and possibly more cost effective to make uni degrees free, Whitlam-style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Comstar posted:

Unisuper has been offline completely for over a week. They are currently blaming a never before seen google cloud bug.

There would have been a run on the fund already but no one can get money out (though I trust the insiders already have).

That would be terrible, however I thought a lot of universities have UniSuper locked in as the super fund in their EBAs with the union. I.e. Even if a university employee wanted to get out of it, they couldn't because it's written in blood the EBA.

I believe supermarket workers have a similar thing with REST.

birdstrike posted:

just go outside

No :colbert: