Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I remember back in the 90s here in Vic when shitbag premier Jeff Kennett sold off a whole lot of public institutions including a bunch of schools which got bulldozed to make way for new housing estates. Oops, turns out we may have needed those ....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Antony Green called it for the LNP by 8pm There's a faint swing to the Greens but no real surprises

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Eediot Jedi posted:

Oh and one of the cops was supposed to be wearing body cam, but wasn't for some reason. If only their perfectly reasonable behavior could've been exonerated almost instantly with video evidence! What a shame!

Note that only one was supposed to be wearing a bodycam, the other two weren't because there was a supposed shortage of cams

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Captain Theron posted:

XR seems so much more focused on stunts and performance art. Can you imagine a bunch of unionists dressing up in disco outfits and dancing to one song on repeat for hours on end to protest low pay or safety conditions? No one would take anything they say seriously.

Yeah they remind me of PETA in that respect

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

starkebn posted:

You're not wrong, but climate change is making those things even worse than they might otherwise be. Unfortunately we're not very good at analysing big complex systems when we've got to work to put food on the table. It doesn't help that there's a whole misinformation industry busily propagandising at the same time.

The City of Melbourne just had to cancel the annual Moomba parade due to the worst heatwave since 1942 but most of the discussion I saw about that in the media didn't mention climate change

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 29, 2024

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Non Compos Mentis posted:

its actually because peter helliar was made king of the parade

Yellow Wiggle Emma was a great choice but Helliar was loving awful, I can't stand the guy. :argh:

It's often been a PR buy-in stunt, back in 1977 they had Mickey Mouse as King of Moomba because channel 10 had just bought the TV rights to Mickey's Clubhouse and wanted a promotional boost. The parade originally started out as part of the festivities during the Queen's visit in 1954 and it boosted business in the CBD so much that the Bourke St shop owners petitioned to make it an annual event and that's how the Moomba Festival came about, occurring every year on the Labour Day long weekend and replacing the traditional Labour Day parade which had petered out in the 1940s and had last been held in 1951

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olIH2ExQ88g

The Melb Uni medical students float at 7:30 is pretty great :haw:

The word 'moomba' was put forward by indigenous rights activist Bill Onus and he told the committee it meant "Let's get together and have fun" but a few decades later someone actually checked and found out that mum meant 'bottom, rump' and the suffix ba meant 'at, in, on' so 'moomba' actually means 'up your arse'. Bill was a unionist and he was mad that they replaced the Labour Day parade with this bullshit

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

you know what would save music festivals? bike paths to the music festivals

I used to get a regular gig with some guys I know at the Boogie music festival up in Tallarook, roughly 100km north of Melbourne. It was a real pain in the rear end to get our stuff all the way out there, better transportation would have saved us a lot of pain

(A bike path wouldn't have helped much, though)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
As you can no doubt tell from my av I fukken LOVE stats and graphs and I would have totally bought a LIVE GRAPH LOVE mug, I'm mad it's just an Aprils Fool post

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
wrong thread

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TheIllestVillain posted:

These rw types are shameless cretins so i'm guessing they will pretend it never happened.

Yeah just like all the people who were apparently convinced that the eclipse on Monday was going to usher in The Rapture. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

birdstrike posted:

sooner queensland is erased the better

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

lol the original source for the cohen fake news was the aussie cossack

i don't even know what to say anymore this is clown world. a world of clowns

Media Watch is going to need a special extended episode to cover all this bullshit

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Comstar posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > Auspol 2024 Mark 3: He was convicted of rape

We need a new thread title or something.

His defamation case failed but he hasn't actually been convicted*

* Yet

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

They asked the computer and the computer said it was okay

There's been recent reports about AI-generated mushroom foraging books being sold on Amazon which were full of bullshit advice

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

froglet posted:

This reminded me that way back when there was an auspoller who shared in the thread that (for reasons that remain unclear to me) their housemate (? Or possibly partner?) got a full-sized cardboard cutout of Julia Gillard and it's shadow/silhouette in their house was regularly scaring the living daylights out of them and their guests.

Now tonight's intrusive thought is having a Tony Abbott or ScoMo cutout and upsetting my husband with it :v:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/154895435058
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/152928819286
:tipshat:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

gay picnic defence posted:

Those guys are often the worst, it's rarely some cute little ma and pa and mostly waspish karens indignant that 'their' renter wants a toilet that flushes.

My next door neighbour doesn't have a functioning oven, when the gas lines to her rental were updated recently they somehow hosed up the line to the kitchen and the landlord never got it fixed and they just gave her a lovely portable electrical cooktop instead. It's pretty much a camping stove.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Solemn Sloth posted:

Gotta fund various unions generously to help deliver these messages on site too

Maybe also a fundraiser morning tea at office sites, perhaps even a Facebook profile template to really push awareness

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Breetai posted:

the company who installed the lifts has now also installed a video screen on the ground floor that has a 2-minute video presentation on a loop about how to correctly use this newfangled lift system.

I saw one recently where the terrible touchscreen layout could only show some of the floors and someone from the office had printed out a sign explaining how to scroll through to other screens to select the other floors

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I guess someone must have offered to bankroll him again?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Synthbuttrange posted:

yeah very much so, they're already reporting that he's been refered to cops and mental health and school.

Also the incident sounds more like "suicide via cop" than terrorism, he actually called the cops beforehand and told them he was going to stab someone

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Fwiw I dont really think homophobia is imported culture war bullshit. This councillor specifically seems like an Eric abetz brained moron but the imported stuff was always going to wind up regressing back to where conservatives were at in the early 90s

Yeah the underlying homophobia is endemic and has been for a long long time but the attempts at banning pro-LGBTQ+ books from public libraries bit is bandwagoning on the movement in the US, where they've expanded from organised efforts on banning those books in school libraries and have moved on to loving up public libraries

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It's all about the Pentiums baby

E: that song is 25 years old lol

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 10, 2024

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

hooman posted:

A car I often see when driving to work has a huge Donald Trump face decal on the back window, which is a deeply weird thing to have.

Like nobody's investing in an Angela Merkel decal for their VW.

In my area we briefly had a store which sold American candy and bongs/shisha and their logo was a gigantic chibi Trump smoking a massive joint, it was hilarious and grotesque. They closed down pretty quickly and google maps street view didn't save a photo of their storefront

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

EoinCannon posted:

I just saw some of the other portraits in the exhibition. Gina Reinhardt is the biggest loving sook, hers isn't even the least flattering

*Edit* Olympic swimmers bankrolled by her have also asked for it to be removed. She's the loving worst

That portrait of QE2 is amazing, it should be on stamps