Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Statistically it's probably going to be somebody who was well known to the police and likely at the time of the attacks should have been in jail on domestic violence charges, but somehow wasn't, because that's what it always loving seems like is the case when people in this country are senselessly murdered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Well I for one am glad that this is being posted in one of two threads in the Forum where I can outright call this guy an absolute loving dog oval office.

Breetai fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Apr 13, 2024

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Megillah Gorilla posted:

loving "phenotype" like he's an animal or a specimen.

Yeah, that particular word usage made me envision the guy pulling out the loving skull calipers.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

23 Skidoo posted:

Phrenology is perfectly cromulent if you ignore science, logic and reason generally

Of course you'd say that, you have the brainpan of a stagecoach tilter

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Is this why some people seem way overinvested in hating on crypto? That it is seen as money Hitler would use?

It's purely speculative electronic monopoly money that takes the electrical output of several European nations to maintain. Its value is poo poo because it's backed by nothing but the hopes and dreams of the next bagholder, it's ability to transfer money is poo poo in comparison with the electronic funds transfer system of any competent bank, the only reason to use it is if you're a rube, a conman, a fuckwit techbro, or someone who thinks they can get rich quick because the other guy will totally be the one holding the bag.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It was always a bad idea looking for a non existant problem to solve. Same with blockchain

Some absolute mental vacuum at work suggested exploring putting our Big Data databases on blockchain.

Our largest landing db is 270 Terabytes.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

So like gold, precious stones/diamonds, gaudy mansions, etc but with less death and environmental damage and more transferability than those and far more flexibility than bank transfers .

I deal with international money transfers; personally and professionally, all the time. They are not as easy or cheap as you make out. Often not possible (Commbank does not transfer to Cote D'Ivoire at all), slow (a payment out of Burkina Faso is multiple weeks minimum) or expensive (a single transfer can rack up $100s of dollars of transfer costs for a few hundred dollars transferred (yes more than the amount - there is a reason why transfer-wise, remitly etc are becoming so popular). This is not just for the rich - overseas Filipino/Indonesian/Bangladeshi workers earn maybe 5-600 bucks a month and send home most of it but fees will be ~$50 per month in transfer costs.

I am too cautious to trust crypto and it is a worse investment/store of wealth than gold (gold is shiny, heavy and harder to misplace) in my opinion if someone is married to not having printable currency, shares or property. But the concept of a trustable transfer of money outside relying on the wind of their whims of middlemen is attractive.

Nah.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Crypto is estimated to use about half to three quarters of a percent of global energy generation, mostly from renewables (because they routinely build where cheap and often wasted (hydro)electricity is available) so no, crypto is nothing remotely close to a full percentage points of carbon emissions. In fact, if it helps monetize otherwise curtailed renewable generation (and it reduces/scales back consumption at other times), it is contributing to the transition to renewables by decreasing the importance of dispatchable generation while improving the economics of otherwise marginal wind and solar.

Again, I just simply don't trust crypto but some of the stuff being thrown up just sounds like people going out of their way to misinform themselves on something they inherently don't like.

https://unu.edu/press-release/un-study-reveals-hidden-environmental-impacts-bitcoin-carbon-not-only-harmful-product posted:

Global Bitcoin mining is highly dependent on fossil fuels, with worrying impacts on water and land in addition to a significant carbon footprint

quote:

during the 2020–2021 period, the global Bitcoin mining network consumed 173.42 Terawatt hours of electricity. This means that if Bitcoin were a country, its energy consumption would have ranked 27th in the world, ahead of a country like Pakistan, with a population of over 230 million people. The resulting carbon footprint was equivalent to that of burning 84 billion pounds of coal or operating 190 natural gas-fired power plants. To offset this footprint, 3.9 billion trees should be planted, covering an area almost equal to the area of the Netherlands, Switzerland, or Denmark or 7% of the Amazon rainforest.

quote:

The UN scientists report that Bitcoin mining heavily relies on fossil energy sources, with coal accounting for 45% of Bitcoin's energy supply mix, followed by natural gas (21%). Hydropower, a renewable energy source with significant water and environmental impacts, is the most important renewable source of energy of the Bitcoin mining network, satisfying 16% of its electricity demand. Nuclear energy has a considerable share of 9% in Bitcoin’s energy supply mix, whereas renewables such as solar and wind only provide 2% and 5% of the total electricity used by Bitcoin.

Eat a turd, electric fuckwit.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Like you I googled about the make-up and used the roughly the first thing I saw https://hbr.org/2021/05/how-much-energy-does-bitcoin-actually-consume

quote:

Nic Carter is a general partner at Castle Island Ventures, a Cambridge, MA-based venture firm investing in public blockchain startups, and the cofounder of Coin Metrics, a blockchain analytics firm. Previously, he served as Fidelity Investments’ first cryptoasset analyst

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Majestic posted:

For someone who claims to be tuned in to the energy sector you should really be doing better.

Dude used a cryptobro as his source for what the environmental impact of crypto is, he's either actually a crypto enthusiast who thinks that he's being sneaky by posting a bunch of "well crypto isn't that bad actually" screed as long as he bookends it with "but yeah I totally don't like crypto, I just post a lot about how it's misunderstood", or else he's so dense that light bends around him and we could probably get him to smoke 5 packs a day by pointing him at an article by Phillip Morris claiming that smoking doesn't have bad health effects.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

EoinCannon posted:

I took it as an admission that they feel like they can't legislate blokes to stop beating and killing women.

There's lots they could do and other countries are doing but the whole raising awareness talk seems like they just want people to be nicer to one another

Saw a headline scroll past in the lift this morning that expressed concern that the anti dv movement was at risk of alienating men.

Fucks sake.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Jesus Christ is this just a Sydney thing or do all office buildings have this BC I think I'd rather be poor

Adelaide here, and yeah there are smart lifts

What they are supposed to do is limit the number of people in each individual lift as a health and safety measure. In practise what they do is they just add more and more people until you've got 30 people in a single lift while others lay idle.

The algorithm that managed traffic for them was so horrendously busted that usually you'd only have two of them operating at any one time out of a bank of about eight, and if you were on one of the lower floors and wanted to get out of the building at knockoff time, it would be faster to press the up button, ride all the way up to the top, and then ride it down because if you just hit the down button you would be presented every 5 minutes with a lift that was completely full of people from the upper floors.

And yes, it is one of those newfangled lifts which doesn't have buttons on the inside. You just press a button for the floor you want in the the lobby before getting into the lift. They operate so terribly and the impact of hitting your required floor button too many or too few times for the number of people who want to go to that floor is so bad that the company who installed the lifts has now also installed a video screen on the ground floor that has a 2-minute video presentation on a loop about how to correctly use this newfangled lift system. And if that isn't a case of failing at the first hurdle for operability, I don't know what is.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Eediot Jedi posted:

what's the worst that could happen if he loses?

He gets lionized by right-wing psychopaths as being a true Australian hero and makes more money in grift than he has to pay in fines.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
"Negative gearing music commissioner" is a powerful one.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

quote:

UniSuper was able to eventually restore services because the fund had backups in place with another provider.

Fffffffffuck.

It wasn't even Google that restored it.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Just after the last federal election, a whole lot of people were talking about how the coalition was a spent force in politics and we'd never have another liberal prime minister, and I'm wondering what those people have to say after a near full term of the labour party dropping every single possible ball when it comes to sufficiently addressing a cost of living crisis.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
A food industry heavyweight says Australians are ‘profit shaming’ a sector in crisis.

I'm genuinely struggling to come up with a response to this more coherent than "get hosed you pack of dog cunts".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Our backwards nation of pig loving yokels are charging people for generating clean energy. Truly our anuses have grown to goatse-like proportions from taking it up the rear end from corpo interests.