Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Z Fighters
GOKU
VEGETA
GOHAN
PICCOLO
KRILLIN
TIEN
YAMCHA
View Results

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

peanut posted:

My hands are sore from kamehameha'ing all afternoon

I'm sharing my energy w/ u friend *hands in the air*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

we doing a spirit bomb?

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Blackmore posted:

Toriyama's little black cats were some of the best.

Tied with the Trigun cats imo. Also the one from Nichijou

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Revins posted:

Tied with the Trigun cats imo. Also the one from Nichijou

Sakamoto is a treasure. I don't remember a cat from Trigun which tells me it's time to watch Trigun.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Vegeta had a good day in Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero

He finally beats Goku, then goes home and his wife is slightly hotter than she was, and has a slightly firmer rear end than when he left

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Toriyama truly understood the comedy potential of taking terrifyingly strong superhumans who constantly do hype as poo poo cool stuff, and stripping away all that dignity and mystique in an instant to subject them to zany shenanigans to show that they're all basically gently caress-up sitcom characters that just happen to be able to blow up the world if they really felt like it.

And somehow, after they do goofy schtick, they can still turn right around and be epic badasses again and there's no sense of discordance.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

this is the best Vegeta moment imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh3Y2Y8uz-4

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Lmao

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Mondo cool.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Vegeta had a good day in Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero

My buddies just watched this one again last night. I’m gonna spoiler tag the ending, if that matters, but I need to mention it because it’s an amazing Gohan and Piccolo moment.

Gohan and Piccolo are fighting this giant suped up version of cell. Piccolo is also giant, and orange, because he’s got a new form now. Anyway he’s struggle bussing trying to keep super duper cell pinned down and tells Gohan to take the shot on super cell. GOHAN STARTS CHANGING THE SPECIAL BEAM CANNON FOR THE FIRST TIME. Not his bio dad’s kamehameha, his dad that stepped up’s signature loving attack.

Anyway, we were all loving screaming, it was delightful.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

gohan is allowed to say the n word

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

GolfHole posted:

gohan is allowed to say the n word

namekian?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The dub was kinda great I feel

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

lol

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Goku

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Did nobody post galo sengen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EKTw50Uf8M

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Mak0rz posted:

this will not be an exception to the "Goku never wins against Vegeta in a fight" rule
Could anyone beat Goku in an eating contest?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

CannonFodder posted:

Kirby vs Goku

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

CannonFodder posted:

Goku burns more calories than basically anybody.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
I feel like Buu would win an eating contest

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

cell could eat a whole rear end android in one gulp

as a suppository, no less!

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Bad Purchase posted:

cell could eat a whole rear end in one gulp

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
if someone had never seen a single moment of dragon ball, where would they start?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Vampire Panties posted:

if someone had never seen a single moment of dragon ball, where would they start?

first you need to watch the saiyan saga and then when goku arrives on namek you go back to the saiyan saga you do this four or five times then go to freeza vs goku

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Vampire Panties posted:

If you want to watch Dragon Ball the whole series is on Crunchyroll.

If you want to watch Dragon Ball Z, it too is on Crunchyroll but the abridged Kai version that cuts like 200 episodes of unrelated filler is on Hulu. Stop after the Frieza saga if you're burnt out by then. It's where the series was intended to end.

But if you want the authentic experience do this:

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

first you need to watch the saiyan saga and then when goku arrives on namek you go back to the saiyan saga you do this four or five times then go to freeza vs goku

Part way through the Frieza saga rewind like 30 episodes then watch them again until you hit ten or so episodes after where you first rolled back from, then go back 30 episodes again. Repeat until the series is done.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Mak0rz posted:

If you want to watch Dragon Ball the whole series is on Crunchyroll.

If you want to watch Dragon Ball Z, it too is on Crunchyroll but the abridged Kai version that cuts like 200 episodes of unrelated filler is on Hulu. Stop after the Frieza saga if you're burnt out by then. It's where the series was intended to end.

But if you want the authentic experience do this:

Part way through the Frieza saga rewind like 30 episodes then watch them again until you hit ten or so episodes after where you first rolled back from, then go back 30 episodes again. Repeat until the series is done.

:ohdear: whats the difference between Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Vampire Panties posted:

:ohdear: whats the difference between Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z?

The latter is the sequel series to the former.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Serious answer:

Dragon Ball is Goku's adventures as a child, so it's cute, light-hearted, and kinda round and pleasant-looking as a series. Real vintage anime look to it. Goku's main thing is he wants the wish in order to see his dead grandpa. Real cute stuff.

So here's Goku in Dragon Ball - a tiny, cute, roly-poly lil baby, who can also kick your rear end:

Dragon Ball Z is Goku's adventures as an adult, and it really goes crazy because now he gets reconned into being a super-powered space alien, and then the space alien royalty comes to kick his rear end, and they all get jettisoned into space for a significant portion of the show. The cute look disappears entirely, by the end Goku is firmly a square made of more squares.

Here's Goku at the beginning of DBZ - looking like the guy that kid grew into, yep, cool cool.

And...here's Goku in the last episode.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 15, 2024

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

In that last picture he is about to beat that kid

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Serious answer:

Dragon Ball is Goku's adventures as a child, so it's cute, light-hearted, and kinda round and pleasant-looking as a series. Real vintage anime look to it. Goku's main thing is he wants the wish in order to see his dead grandpa. Real cute stuff.

So here's Goku in Dragon Ball - a tiny, cute, roly-poly lil baby, who can also kick your rear end:

Dragon Ball Z is Goku's adventures as an adult, and it really goes crazy because now he gets reconned into being a super-powered space alien, and then the space alien royalty comes to kick his rear end, and they all get jettisoned into space for a significant portion of the show. The cute look disappears entirely, by the end Goku is firmly a square made of more squares.

Here's Goku at the beginning of DBZ - looking like the guy that kid grew into, yep, cool cool.

In all fairness to justifying the changing artstyle, Goku in the 1st pic is like 15 (he was a late bloomer), the second pic is at 27, and the third pic he's about 50. Dude beefed up in his later years

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
True, but it's mostly because Akira Toriyama also just had a big art style shift over the course of drawing Z, to go with the more serious tone of it. The more squarish (but arguably more dimensional) look ends up becoming Toriyama's 'signature style', such that the Chrono Trigger characters look like that too.

In my brain it kinda goes hand-in-hand with the general shift in anime overall, from the round and plush 80s to the thin and angular 90s. But that could just be an assocation my brain makes.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 15, 2024

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Serious answer:

Ahhh I see

I know literally nothing about dragon ball, and I'd vaguely wondered why the art had two different styles. As you said, one has the vintage anime style, and the other is more 90s anime (I am not an anime person)

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
its important to note only the anime is called dragon ball z the manga is called dragonball through its entire run

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

yeah they just separated it in the anime because of the time skip and tone shift

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
and because toriyama thought it was nearing the end (lol) and picked z because it sounded cool

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

and because toriyama thought it was nearing the end (lol) and picked z because it sounded cool

he was right

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

always was

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Z is one of the coolest letters