Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Z Fighters
GOKU
VEGETA
GOHAN
PICCOLO
KRILLIN
TIEN
YAMCHA
View Results

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Did you know that in Canada no one calls it "Dragon Ball Zed"?

That's how powerful it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I'm gonna dump a spirit bomb in your mom op

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i'd gladly post on Z, the everything app, that would be a badass name

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

i'd gladly post on Z, the everything app, that would be a badass name

16bbh getting visibly irate

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Mak0rz posted:

Did you know that in Canada no one calls it "Dragon Ball Zed"?

That's how powerful it is

Unless you're the French Canadian dub.

I was unable to find video evidence, but I do specifically remember the intro did pronounce it as "Dragon Ball Zed". And it had a line about "Le gentile Son Gohan', or at least my memory swears it does, even though I went and checked and the translation for that would have been "La doux Son Gohan".

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

How powerful is a saiyan nut bust and how do human women not die from it, though

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

For the longest time I didn't really know what Dragon Ball Z was and I thought it was "Dragon Ballz"

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Cornwind Evil posted:

Unless you're the French Canadian dub.

Yeah but those people are silly

Toxic Mental posted:

How powerful is a saiyan nut bust and how do human women not die from it, though

Saiyans like strong women. It's canon

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Saiyans are an entire race of himbo trophy husbands. Like yeah they suck at showing conventional affection or holding down a steady job, and every once in a while they'll disappear off into space or the afterlife for a few years to train or whatever, but they'll be buff hunky eye-candy supermen well into their 70s who will faithfully blow out your back wall or annihilate anyone you don't like whenever you want.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

were

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Toxic Mental posted:

Chi Chi's just that swole

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Something that feels 'different' to the overall fandom popularity/reaction to Super over the same one that happened when Z was at its peak that I can't quite put my finger on.

I'm sure it's just multigenerational fans, public consciousness of anime, internet access, etc., but it feels like Super made the brand start being viewed in a different light or something.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

JediTalentAgent posted:

Something that feels 'different' to the overall fandom popularity/reaction to Super over the same one that happened when Z was at its peak that I can't quite put my finger on.

I'm sure it's just multigenerational fans, public consciousness of anime, internet access, etc., but it feels like Super made the brand start being viewed in a different light or something.

I'm not fully sure what you mean by your first paragraph here but to the second: Super was explicitly meant to be a return to form sort of work that's more similar to the original Dragon Ball than DBZ. It's a light-hearted comedy with serious beats instead of the serious punchman drama with comedic beats that was its predecessor. Might have something to do with it.

Also it's like 20 years younger than DBZ so attitudes about the brand and the demographics audiences that watch/read it are going to inevitably be a bit different.

I think also the thing mentioned a few posts ago of the series rolling back regularly so that the localization teams could catch up left a pretty big impression on us non-Japanese viewers. The build up to the fight with Frieza took several months of us sitting in front of the TV just to find it was another loving rerun. There was a poo poo load of built up tension and excitement in that time that just was not there for Super.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 17, 2024

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Toxic Mental posted:

:chloe:

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

The kids of person who thinks of dragon ball z then sex.dsseves a ban imo

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

satanic splash-back posted:

The kids of person who thinks of dragon ball z then sex.dsseves a ban imo

I know what I'm wishing for when I get the dragon balls

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Cumehamehnnngg

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Toxic Mental posted:

you know how it takes hours for dbz characters to charge up to super power levels right?

no way does Goku last that long in bed

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Asterite34 posted:

Saiyans are an entire race of himbo trophy husbands. Like yeah they suck at showing conventional affection or holding down a steady job, and every once in a while they'll disappear off into space or the afterlife for a few years to train or whatever, but they'll be buff hunky eye-candy supermen well into their 70s who will faithfully blow out your back wall or annihilate anyone you don't like whenever you want.

In all honesty, Chi Chi and Bulma are lucky to get what they get, as expanded material has basically suggested that nearly all Saiyans, male and female, don't really believe in 'relationships': they just have sex and the women get pregnant and no sooner are the babies born then they're shoved into pods and sent to wipe out planets. I don't know how it worked when they were just the brutes on Planet Plant, but I assume it was also very sink or swim, only the strongest survived, which probably kept their numbers from growing until they got recruited as planet destroyers by Frieza's race and got access to better living conditions and medical care. Might even be why Frieza got nervous: 20,000 monkey aliens who all have at best power levels in the five digits with their Great Ape power, meh...20 MILLION of them, well, quantity has a quality all its own. Bardock, in his original special, was essentially just another Saiyan, with nothing special or unique about him; it got retconned later that he was seen as unusual for living with Goku's mother and being exclusive to her (which was around when Goku's mother got introduced into the canon and presented as the reason Goku has a kind heart: he got it from her).

And seriously, while Bulma and Vegeta are basically a case of 'failing upwards' in a way (what with the rumor that Toriyama wanted to start winding down the series at various points, so he introduced elements that he thought would be unpopular, and the first one was the breaking up of Bulma and Yamcha and Bulma getting with VEGETA, the being who was still 80 percent evil when they met, who killed her then boyfriend and her friends (indirectly, yes, that was the Saibamen and Nappa, but he was there giving the orders), who basically didn't blow up Earth because he wanted to use it as a crash pad that he knew was mostly safe as virtually no one on the planet could fully match him; Toriyama allegedly thought the fans would reject this, after all, Bulma and Yamcha had been on and off throughout the whole series, but instead the fans embraced it. But, this is just one of many rumors, there's also a lot of debunking that Toriyama never supposedly wanted to end the series at all the points he allegedly did, and that maybe it was just due more to how he wrote by the seat of his pants), Chi Chi basically has no one to blame but herself. She made a childhood marriage promise to a boy, and then when they were young adults she decided she STILL wanted to keep it, even though it was clear the young man barely remembered her and the promise and had no clue about what it had meant, and she basically browbeat him into a relationship and quickie marriage without bothering to get to know him at all. The running joke is that Goku is a terrible husband and father, but I think he's a terrible husband and father in the same way that a person with no legs would be a terrible swimmer; he is what he is, and his good qualities can only compensate so much for that.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Meanwhile this is Krillin at 50

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Toxic Mental posted:

When they go super saiyan does the carpet match the drapes

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Krillan was always my favorite. Silly guys trying hard kick rear end.

Yajirobi also rocks.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

bobjr posted:

Meanwhile this is Krillin at 50

Paul Rudd to be cast as Krillin in new live-action DB remake.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
Danny Devito would be a better Krillin imo

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

No way, DeVito for Mr. Popo

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Chris Pratt Goku, Seth Rogan Yajirobe, Charlie Day Krillin, Jack Black Yamcha, Anya Taylor Joy Lunch, Fred Armisen Master Roshi, Keegan Michael Key Kami, Kevin Michael Richardson Piccolo, Sebastian Maniscalco Oolong

This brings me no pleasure to announce

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lt. Cock posted:

Danny Devito would be a better Krillin imo

No. 6 posted:

No way, DeVito for Mr. Popo

you're both wrong. Korin is the role made for him

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I'm sorry but Danny devito would be loving perfect as oolong

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

cast danny devito as master roshi if you want a good movie / second super mario brothers movie

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vud8RUChTCs

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

does goku even know drunken boxing i thought that was jackie chun's move

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Chris Pratt Goku, Seth Rogan Yajirobe, Charlie Day Krillin, Jack Black Yamcha, Anya Taylor Joy Lunch, Fred Armisen Master Roshi, Keegan Michael Key Kami, Kevin Michael Richardson Piccolo, Sebastian Maniscalco Oolong

This brings me no pleasure to announce

directed by M. Night Shyamalan

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

GolfHole posted:

does goku even know drunken boxing i thought that was jackie chun's move

Goku doesn't drink, thats why he's the strongest

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Milo and POTUS posted:

What about drinking hetap?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Milo and POTUS posted:

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Meanwhile Gohan gets real drunk and embarrassing at Bulma's birthday party, puts on his dumb superhero costume, starts doing party tricks where someone unloads a pistol at him so he can flick bullets out of the air, and accidentally deflects one right into Videl's leg like a loving idiot

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

lightweight

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Asterite34 posted:

Meanwhile Gohan gets real drunk and embarrassing at Bulma's birthday party, puts on his dumb superhero costume, starts doing party tricks where someone unloads a pistol at him so he can flick bullets out of the air, and accidentally deflects one right into Videl's leg like a loving idiot

Lmao

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Roshi strikes me as a horny drunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Quitting takes real strength, which I think you'll find, goku has