Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Killer robot posted:

I think an important part of tuning D&D rules over time is looking for and addressing "Debate Club" tactics where clever use of existing rules can substitute for having a stronger argument. To some extent that's inevitable in any rule-based debate space,but it should still be limited. One that stands out for me lately is the flexibility of "Show me proof that X." Sometimes it's totally reasonable and concrete and leads to showing who actually has some evidence on their side, but other times it's demanding "proof" of something either very loose and subjective, questionably relevant to the argument, or pervasive and obvious but still taking effort to actually chart out and document. Like it's cousin of "If you want a summary of my argument read this book," it's a way to require more work from an opponent than you are putting it.

To be clear, I'm not saying we need to probe people for asking how sure we really are that water is wet, even. Just that it seems there should be a little clarity as to how far people are expected to go to cite proof of an assertion, particularly ones where any plausible proof can easily be met with "nah, got anything else?" or requires doing a bunch of original statistical analysis.

I feel like "show me proof that x" is a necessary response to some of the flippant dismissals that I see in D&D, because saying to someone "this is a flippant dismissal" is assuming that it's a bad faith response, asking them to verify that position allows that it may not be. Regarding flipping dismissals, is this probe-able in D&D because it seems like responses to flippant dismissals tend to get probed because there is no functional counter argument to that response, save for the above, which then invites complaints.

I know that moderating this forum is a hard and thankless task, but Koos can you please be careful that when you are reading posts that you are not assuming what has been said, but actually dealing with the content of the post itself. I am glad you reversed the probe (here:https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=4053225&pagenumber=101&perpage=40#post538127755) of a poster who was probed for responding to me with what you assumed was a sarcastic straw-man of my position, when they had literally agreed with me and clarified my position. Unfortunately this reversal only took place because I happened to notice that they were probed a few pages back and messaged you directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Koos Group posted:

No they are not, and I apologize.

Can you be specific about what caused this to happen and what actions will be taken to prevent this happening again? Because this seems like a huge oversight in moderation efforts, especially in the context of people being dinged for strawmen that they weren't making. If all modding was overzealous that would be understandable, but there is a very clear disconnect here that I think it would be helpful to understand the cause of, and how it will be addressed.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Koos Group posted:

It looks like the Skex one hadn't been acted on yet because it was only reported two days ago, and the small butter one wasn't acted on because he was already on probation at the time.

Thanks for the response. That makes sense.

I suggest that all actionable posts be hit with a probation marker because that shows that rule breaking posts are being actioned rather than giving the incorrect impression that they were considered not to be rule breaking.

It's also interesting that a post like that took 11 days to be reported. That seems to indicate that people posting in D&D are not being sufficiently proactive in reporting bad posts more generally. I have been trying to be more active in hitting report on posts that are rule breaking.

hooman fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 13, 2024

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Koos Group posted:

... normally we don't reveal who reports anything, but you were the one who reported that post after 11 days.

I didn't remember that, lol. As I said I have been trying to be more active in reporting bad posts when I see them. So a very clearly rulebreaking post that the everyone who read it, except me, didn't report.

I didn't mean my post to be a criticism of modding, because if posts aren't reported they can't be acted on. As posters we need to be more proactive in reporting bad posts. We bear responsibility for terrible posts not being acted on if we don't report them.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Staluigi posted:

i mean i already probably know the answer (backend held together with twine and mummy dust) but still one would think you could hope

The mummy dust is a step up from the load bearing slurs.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

If people aren't reporting things it may be indicative that they don't think they should be moderated. You can't make people report things in that instance. Even if they break the rules because not everyone is going to agree with the rules.

What you're observing I think is an unwillingness to snitch, which I would suggest might demonstrate a lack of buy in to the rules or enforcement thereof. And thus appealing to people to more proactively snitch is likely not to be effective.

I would agree regarding snitching, I felt that way as well, and have previously not tended to hit report on anything but the most egregious poo poo.

However terrible posts that are clearly rulebreaking being unreported (and thus not acted on) while posts that are much less clearly rulebreaking getting probes (due to reports) gives the unfair impression that the modding is biased, when the bias actually lays with the people who are willing to hit report. Which is not something I have any ideas on how to fix.

I agree that ideally, we'd report less posts, which would reduce load on the mod team and then get faster action and turnaround on the dire poo poo, but given the tone of the discussion in this feedback thread I don't think that people are likely to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

socialsecurity posted:

Making a lot of assumptions here about who's doing the reporting.

I assume that people who are motivated enough to post in this feedback thread are frustrated enough with rulebreaking posts to hit report on them.

If that's wrong, then fair enough I'm wrong about that.