Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I've pretty much stopped posting in D&D because it's just not enjoyable anymore. The forum trends towards a liberal centrist consensus, and any argument outside of that is met with hostility, compounded by years of weird cross-forum grudges. The mods might not explicitly moderate positions, but some positions seem to generate a lot more reports until something sticks.

Many of the rules may seem fair on paper, but in practice are open to very wide interpretation. For example, the rule against making stale arguments. What counts as a stale argument? Is someone keeping a list of them somewhere? Does responding to a stale argument with a point that's already been made count as a stale argument? Does posting "but Trump would be worse" or "but what about Hamas?" for the 1000th time not count as a stale argument? Whether it's intentional or not, there seems to be an ideological bias when it comes to enforcing the rules. If you want them to be enforced fairly, then there ought to be more ideological diversity on the mod team.

The Palestine thread has been particularly dire. Lots of posters revealing themselves to be reluctant genocide apologists at best or outright psychopaths at worst. The most aggravating part is a certain group of posters who make a habit of dancing around the issue, never making an argument themselves but instead constantly needling at others' arguments with bullshit questions and trivial nitpicks.

Finally some metafeedback, which is that these threads never seem to actually be for feedback but rather for releasing pressure. Nothing seems to have changed since the last thread. One weekend every 3-4 months is absolutely not enough. You always ask for specific examples, but what kind of weirdo is going to keep a spreadsheet or whatever of examples for months at a time? The haphazard nature of it also doesn't help. If it's only going to be open for one weekend every 3-4 months, it would be nice to know ahead of time when exactly that weekend will be. I didn't even notice this thread until just now. Lots of other forums have feedback threads that are always open, why not D&D? If the fear is that people will just use it to grudgepost, then just punish that kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

pmchem posted:

just pulling out this comment because you have noooooooooooo idea some of the old stuff people send along to mods in reports. some goons absolutely do keep receipts. regardless of the OP asking for specific examples, some people are gonna give them whether in public or private.

Oh yeah obviously it's a thing that does happen, but I don't think it's controversial to say that it's unhealthy behavior. But the problem is that the policy of "if you've got a problem with a post that did/didn't get punished, wait 3-4 months to address it" is kind of encouraging that behavior.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DeadlyMuffin posted:

The reason I find the I/P thread so frustrating to read and post in is because it seems like anything remotely critical of Hamas is taken as full throated support for Israel's genocide, and discussion ends up in arguments about how people are actually trying to run interference for the Biden administration.

It isn't too much moderation that makes that thread suck, it's the almost complete absence of it until things get *really* bad. Someone who steps in and tells people to cool it would stop it from getting to that point and make for a far more interesting thread.

This is what I mean by posters dancing around the issue. If someone came into the cop thread, for example, and posted a bunch of statistics about black crime, or pointed out that the most recent victim of police brutality had a criminal record, there would be no doubt that they were trying to justify police brutality, or at least deflect from the extremely valid criticisms of the police. Even if they started every post with "I don't condone police brutality BUT". The exact same thing is going on in the IP thread but on a larger scale ("I don't condone genocide BUT"). If you don't think that they're trying to justify Israel's actions, then what other point do you think they're making? That Hamas is bad? Great, most people already agree with that. So what's the next logical step that they want us to take? It's not a particularly interesting point if that's all it is.

It's not discussion, it's just deflection.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 11, 2024

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I think you're making my point.

There was serious discussion about whether or not most of the October 7th deaths were *actually* due to friendly fire. I'm surprised you think most people agree with "Hamas is bad", because there are some real efforts to avoid saying that.

It's like having a conversation with someone about WW2, and mentioning that the Allies should've bombed the rail lines to Auschwitz, or shouldn't have dropped atomic bombs on Japan, and getting treated like you were cheerleading the Nazis or Imperial Japanese. A conflict can have a very clear right and wrong side and still have details like this worth discussing.

Your vision for the thread is "Israel bad" and yeah, dude, we know, but there's more to talk about than that.

And people have explained multiple times in multiple ways what is wrong with this framing. If you keep insisting otherwise then I think that falls under the "stale argument" clause.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Marenghi posted:

A mod stepping in to tell people to knock it off when discussion gets pulled down into petty slap fights would probably go a long way to improving discussion. Rather than coming by a few days later and randomly probing the participants of said slap fight.

Absolutely. If this is supposed to be the serious debate forum, then the moderators need to take an active role in actually moderating the debate, and not just through handing out probations. I didn't do debate club in high school but I'm pretty sure that you're not supposed to penalize people in a debate by gagging them for 6 hours.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

As you can already see I am responding to and agreeing wuth extensively documented examples from Raenir Salazar. Also we can all still see y'all's rapsheets. The issue is not disagreement with consensus. The issue is making statements that are designed to sabotage discussion by shifting burdens, rendering falsification impossible, and repeatedly re-raising rebutted claims, actions that violate the rules and are not enforced on.

You've got a way longer rapsheet for consistently being an abrasive rear end in a top hat than most of the people you're yelling at.

I maintain my position from the last thread that anyone who posts like DV but with a "no joe" tag would have been forum banned long ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Leave the thread open permanently, but every post gets an automatic 6 hour probation to discourage grudgeposting.