Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Killer robot posted:

I think an important part of tuning D&D rules over time is looking for and addressing "Debate Club" tactics where clever use of existing rules can substitute for having a stronger argument. To some extent that's inevitable in any rule-based debate space,but it should still be limited.

This. There seem to be some posters who abuse the rules to troll and get others probated. They do the calm Hitler routine until someone over-reacts and then they get probed. While the calm Hitler is free to continue playing their game to get more probed for opposing genocide.

Fister Roboto posted:

I've pretty much stopped posting in D&D because it's just not enjoyable anymore. The forum trends towards a liberal centrist consensus, and any argument outside of that is met with hostility, compounded by years of weird cross-forum grudges. The mods might not explicitly moderate positions, but some positions seem to generate a lot more reports until something sticks.

Many of the rules may seem fair on paper, but in practice are open to very wide interpretation. For example, the rule against making stale arguments. What counts as a stale argument? Is someone keeping a list of them somewhere? Does responding to a stale argument with a point that's already been made count as a stale argument? Does posting "but Trump would be worse" or "but what about Hamas?" for the 1000th time not count as a stale argument?

This too. There was a recent trend in the P/I thread of posters coming in to post the NYT rape article right after the discussion had finished talking about it being debunked. This happened a few times and the only probes were people frustrated by the same stale arguments being brought up in quick succession.

Basically it would be good if the mods could recognize the calm Hitler game of getting others probed for stepping outside the rules by lashing out a person defending genocide by just asking questions, or calling their bad faith argument 'bad faith'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

DeadlyMuffin posted:

It isn't too much moderation that makes that thread suck, it's the almost complete absence of it until things get *really* bad. Someone who steps in and tells people to cool it would stop it from getting to that point and make for a far more interesting thread.

A mod stepping in to tell people to knock it off when discussion gets pulled down into petty slap fights would probably go a long way to improving discussion. Rather than coming by a few days later and randomly probing the participants of said slap fight.

Raenir Salazar posted:

The largest issue regarding D&D moderation is it seems like for many threads mods don't participate or read the discussion and don't have context to determine who the actual trouble makers and trolls are, and thus don't intervene soon enough either to prevent otherwise good faith participants from accidentily breaking the rules in a moment of frustration when a troll has been allowed to go unmoderated for days at a time, despite multiple reports.

A pattern I've noticed is when trolls stir up a thread with obviously bad faith arguments, probes get carpet bombed out something like days later, too late to have at all helped foster a proper debate environment, and instead erodes the patience and faith that the rules matter, are being enforced fairly, and erodes patience in being willing to deal with hostile or obviously bad faith arguments in the effort to be informative or entertaining for others who do appreciate the effort.

Again prompter reaction would probably solve a lot of the issues. The longer trolls are allowed to engage in their 'I'm not touching you' style of debate trolling, the more posters are likely to cross a line and say something that will get them probed.
If probing people is the purpose of their trolling, which I suspect it is. They are essentially being awarded for making GBS threads up threads because the more they frustrate actual discussion, the greater the chance of catching more posters with probes when the mods do step in.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Victar posted:

You're not the only one asking why the I/P thread could be called "deranged" or in need of martial law, but if the past 1-2 weeks of I/P posts don't convince you then I don't know what would.

Obviously not all of the I/P posts are horrendous but the thread is subject to frequent horrific derails, and then derails of complaining about the horrific derails, and then the thread will stop moving for a while because no one is posting anything, not even the latest current events - the bad posting has driven out the good.

The derails tend to come from new posters who kramer into the thread to deny something that was already confirmed, or repeat debunked propaganda. You don't need martial law to manage that, just the mods should be more cautious of new posters who post hasbara talking points.

Discendo Vox posted:

To put this differently, the current moderation practices train and incentivize trolls to use these methods to sabotage discussion.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread. The current moderation does seem to encourage these types of trolls to derail as you said, but also to catch genuine posters with probes who aren't as well versed in the game of skirting the rules.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 13, 2024

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Probably Magic posted:

I'm going to need you to explain this "sabotage" notation you keep using. What purpose would this "sabotage" serve? Who would benefit? What nefarious agenda is beholden here?

It comes across like a form of trolling. They argue from a position which comes across as bad faith, but keep within the rules of the forum, until they get accused of bad faith and the accuser is probed. Or they cause a derail and get hit by a probe themselves, but take down other posters with them.