Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Esran posted:

These posts are a good example of why the media literacy thread was closed in the first place, and why it should remain closed unless someone else can take the reins.

The post Stringent linked had DV object to a video interview posted by a channel owned by Iran. Stringent and other posters asked whether DV believed the interview had been manipulated, or why this channel should be considered less trustworthy than other state media. DV refused to explain and was probated. Nothing was learned, and yet DV has now decided that Stringent is just "interested in making GBS threads up the forum".

Even when treated with the absolute softest kid gloves, DV can't help but condescend to and personally attack people they disagree with, nor are they capable of assuming good faith.

Yeah, I agree with this and what Probably Magic said 100%. The rules about impugning others' motives do not apply evenly among posters, and the divide clearly falls along ideological lines. The fact that this post didn't get hit for assuming bad faith in other posters (and/or inciting inter-forums drama) shows how biased the moderation is. Here's the offending paragraph:

quote:

It's nice that supporting genocides has suddenly become a dealbreaker among people who've happily voted for pro-genocide presidents and members of Congress in the past, but I can't help but notice how often it's coming from people who've hated Biden since 2019 and have consistently taken every excuse they can find to advocate opposing him. It's not exactly persuasive when someone with a NoJoe 2020 tag suggests that an event that happened in 2023 is the reason they can't possibly justify voting for Biden. I'm rather concerned that all the leftists who suddenly discovered a deep concern about Gaza a few months ago are going to express that concern solely through leaving the "President" slot on their ballot blank, pat themselves on the back for doing their part to stop genocide, and then forget all about Palestine and go back to ranting about student loans or railroad unions or something. Overturning the overwhelming American political consensus in favor of Israel is a large undertaking that'll probably take several Congressional election cycles (because the true root of it is in Congress, not in the presidency!).

What makes this especially egregious is that a lot of NoJoes have been posting passionately and earnestly on this issue for literal decades. You can check our post histories if you like. Some of us are even active in protests IRL! So it's pretty gross to continually suggest that we're a bunch of Johnny-come-latelies to this issue and only care about it because we want to hurt Biden's electoral chances or whatever. If I made a post like that, I'd fully expect to eat at least a 6er - and rightfully so! It's an extremely clear violation of the rules.

e: to be 100% clear, I'm not asking for that post to be hit now; it's been a month since it was made, after all. But it serves as an example of a broader problem in this forum's moderation. Some posters get to impugn the motives of other posters and have a better-than-even chance of getting away with it. Other posters can expect to be probated for even a whiff of it.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

DeadlyMuffin posted:

We need to stop treating this like a team sport. You interpret comments about some members of a group you belong to as applying to the entire group, and take offense to it.

It's a little difficult not to take offense to someone saying that a group I belong to doesn't genuinely oppose genocide, and instead is only doing it to get at Joe Biden. That's the sort of thing you say when you want someone to take offense, especially when you should know better, as MP absolutely should.

quote:

You derailed USCE over this just the other day because you interpreted comments about some people calling for a ceasefire as demeaning to all people doing so.

This would be a lot less frustrating place if posters treated it like a discussion and not as an us vs. them exercise

This entire argument began because Main Paineframe was treating it as an "us-vs.-them" team sport. That is how this started. I would not be involved in this discussion if he had not done that.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Victar posted:

Sometimes posters would get their post histories scrutinized, but no worse than when discussing anything else controversial. The most closely scrutinized posters were the ones notorious for "syq mining" or whatever the gently caress it's called, fishing for quotes they could repeat and mock on C-SPAM.

This is not something that happens with any frequency. There are a lot of posters who are regulars in both DnD and C-SPAM. That's a good thing - it should be encouraged, not discouraged. Yes, there are threads in C-SPAM where occasionally a particularly egregious DnD post gets laughed at, but C-SPAM regulars, for the most part, don't actually post in DnD to provoke goofy quotes. Those rare instances where this does happen usually end up with the cspammer probated or banned.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

James Garfield posted:

Weak and fallacious rhetoric like suggesting that a poster who kept getting probed for trolling the thread with "Kyiv is encircled and about to fall" and "What about HamAzov" while posting "Flatten Mariupol" elsewhere on the site might support Russia?

The "Flatten" post earned that poster a pretty swift permaban. (in C-SPAM)

Majorian fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Mar 13, 2024

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

As a quick point I think the clearly delineated rules are a good thing at least from the perspective of helping posters clearly define and give context for when they report a post; so even if on one hand koos you decide that mods should have wider latitude for when to use their buttons, the written rules would still be good to have as more clearly and transparent guidelines for posters in general and to help posters when they communicate with mods.

So putting aside that it wasn't initially reported by anyone who posts in CSPAM, as a follow up to my earlier post I'm going to single you out here as you've specifically have been engaging in a pretty obvious pattern of sealioning. The thing your responding to here in this very post is a pretty good example of the kind of nitpicking you've been doing that seems designed to be a drag on discussion.

In particular posts like this, which are just insincere:

None of my posts that you quoted are at all controversial.:confused: Biden is old, and he can't afford to look feeble or demented when he's making speeches or doing interviews. That's an incredibly mild take, the sort of thing that you'll hear Democratic strategists tell mainstream media sources all the time. If that's something that drives you into an apoplectic fit, that's on you. Nor were those posts made with any sort of intention to derail a conversation about Biden's age that was already in progress. The one thing I'll admit to is that, like Dreylad and basically all of us, I sometimes have a problem disengaging from heated discussions and feel like I have to get the last word in. I'm working on that, but hey, I'm a work in progress.

There are two problems with throwing around the word "sabotage," as far as I can see: one, it assumes a degree of intentionality and premeditation that probably don't really exist when someone is posting an unpopular opinion among DnD regulars.

Two, there is already a word for that: trolling. Trolls are gonna troll. Probate or ban them when they're not funny or are saying bigoted things or whatever. Calling it sabotage makes you sound deranged because it projects a level of importance onto posting in these forums that, again, does not really exist.

quote:

In short, I consequently don't need to explain Majorian's posts and why they're sea lioning

No, I think you probably should if you're going to make the accusation.