Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Koos Group posted:

The "essentially" is quite important here because it could break something down into a strawman or a position rather than the argument itself. If you were to simply say "stop thinking about this because it doesn't matter," that could be a stale argument. But if you say "this doesn't matter because X," and X is honest and hasn't been presented before, that's not a stale argument.

On the other hand, there are definitely people posting "nothing matters" stuff on a regular basis. Especially in the Trump Legal Matters thread, where every single thing that happens is routinely met with at least one person insisting that Trump is immune to legal consequences and will surely be bailed out by a billionaire or freed from consequences by a judge or simply declare that the consequences won't count because he's rich or will be president. It's very repetitive and annoying to have to respond to that stuff each and every time, especially since it's well-trod ground at this point and the counter-arguments are basically the same every time.

I think that this repetitiveness thing is becoming a much bigger issue across D&D this year as the presidential election rolls in and politics brainrot gets especially severe. How often does USCE talk about US Current Events these days? It's just people rehashing their perspectives of the 2024 election all the time, with occasional brief interludes of a few posts for any Current Event that might catch someone's interest. The thread has a tendency to be treated as "US Politics General Chat" these days, and I think the mods are much too prone to letting that happen. That's why electoralism chat keeps coming up so often - well, that, and the frequency of low-quality posts that contribute nothing to the discussion and serve as little more than bait for a derail. Don't forget why USPol was ended and replaced with USCE in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Staluigi posted:

probably good news overall that metacommentary on d&d is getting so dreadfully repetitive or eyes-glazed-over'ing

kinda means there's not a lot of actual ongoing problems

i'm pretty sure it's just because the thread got taken over by three terribly tiresome posters who spent an entire page just yelling back and forth at each other about petty, highly personal disagreements nobody else cares about

kind of a perfect demonstration of how D&D works in general these days

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
farting around in here is all well and good, but how long has it been since anyone's checked the D&D reports?

my money's on "at least two days"

as long as it takes several days for poo poo to get hit, it doesn't really matter what the mod guidelines are

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

Give me your money. This was from a post from March 13

i guess gjb must have seen the poster reporting themselves (the report title shows who reported who) and assumed it was something easy to deal with

now I can finally reveal what I was saying that about, though. a couple of days ago, someone was accusing posters of being fascists in USCE and declaring themselves to be D&D's authoritative representative of the collective queer experience. between that and the heated responses from all the people who understandably got mad at them, I knew some people were definitely going to get probed from that discussion, and I was waiting to see how long it took

last night, one person from that exchange finally got probed. but not for any of that. they got a sixer for saying that people in other forums told them that D&D sucks and it wasn't worth posting here

i know drat well how the reports forum gets sometimes, but that's the price the mods pay for declaring that D&D is going to be a highly moderated space with a whole bunch of rules and a strong "don't engage with rulebreakers, just ignore them and let the mods take care of it" policy