Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I'm not sure a media literacy thread needs to inform moderation, anyone who would get probed for that is already posting in bad faith. I think the value of a media literacy thread is that people make a lot of mistakes, like confusing factual and opinion journalism and posting articles with a misleading twitter summary or headline, that aren't always in bad faith, and it would be good to have a place to learn about that.

The problem with a media literacy thread is that people with weird grudges against Discendo Vox will copy and paste entire chapters of Manufacturing Consent into it, and whatever you think about Manufacturing Consent it does nothing to help you distinguish factual reporting from an op-ed. A good way to stop that would be to probe those people for failing to meet effort with effort, since they responded to an original argument someone made with a copied and pasted book chapter or 45 minute youtube video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Raenir Salazar posted:

A pattern I've noticed is when trolls stir up a thread with obviously bad faith arguments, probes get carpet bombed out something like days later, too late to have at all helped foster a proper debate environment, and instead erodes the patience and faith that the rules matter, are being enforced fairly, and erodes patience in being willing to deal with hostile or obviously bad faith arguments in the effort to be informative or entertaining for others who do appreciate the effort.

Yeah I think the Ukraine thread has been the most successful D&D moderation because (especially in 2022 when there was more of it) the troll attempts got probed right away. People have things to do besides mod a dead forum 24 hours a day, but 6 hour probations given out 3 days after the behavior are only going to go so far.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Giggs posted:

We have different memories because we have different perspectives. For instance you state that "pro-russian" posters were dogpiled but I don't remember a single pro-russian poster in that thread. I remember plenty of posters claiming that posters and subforums were pro-russia through weak and typically fallacious rhetoric

Weak and fallacious rhetoric like suggesting that a poster who kept getting probed for trolling the thread with "Kyiv is encircled and about to fall" and "What about HamAzov" while posting "Flatten Mariupol" elsewhere on the site might support Russia?

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 13, 2024