Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

Probably Magic posted:

D&D has failed to be a forum I would want to post in. There's just a core cadre of posters in every American Politics thread here who are very unpleasant to deal with through their condescension, clearly disingenuous positions, and especially their tendency to frame their position as reached through some "consensus" that is almost always illogical in conclusion. [...] The tendency towards "evidence-based arguments" seems to always ignore the forest from the trees, like arguing that you can't call the Titanic cruise a failure because the electrical work on the boat was so good.

Aside from the cadre point. I don't post in this forum ever, if at all, and this articulates the main reason why. There is a frequent type of post here, which is essentially illogical points made from a false premise. Because of the overall tone of D&D, these posts occupy a large part of the screen, and require a decent amount of effort to contradict. They frequently use rhetorical strategies such as asking several questions, with the result that large spans of text stem from these idiotic posts. It is simpler and healthier to simply not post at all.

For me, the posting style of false assertion, dumb/nonexistent premise, and demands for further effort from the reader, stifles actual debate and discussion if we can't simply call the goon stupid and move on. In the interest of avoiding the posting clique thing I am deleting the example from page 1 of this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU