Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

the_steve posted:

The political cartoons thread continues to be Not loving Godawful and I continue to enjoy it, barring the occasional derail that doesn't involve political cartoons or their cartoonists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Main Paineframe posted:

On the other hand, there are definitely people posting "nothing matters" stuff on a regular basis. Especially in the Trump Legal Matters thread, where every single thing that happens is routinely met with at least one person insisting that Trump is immune to legal consequences and will surely be bailed out by a billionaire or freed from consequences by a judge or simply declare that the consequences won't count because he's rich or will be president. It's very repetitive and annoying to have to respond to that stuff each and every time, especially since it's well-trod ground at this point and the counter-arguments are basically the same every time.

I think that this repetitiveness thing is becoming a much bigger issue across D&D this year as the presidential election rolls in and politics brainrot gets especially severe. How often does USCE talk about US Current Events these days? It's just people rehashing their perspectives of the 2024 election all the time, with occasional brief interludes of a few posts for any Current Event that might catch someone's interest. The thread has a tendency to be treated as "US Politics General Chat" these days, and I think the mods are much too prone to letting that happen. That's why electoralism chat keeps coming up so often - well, that, and the frequency of low-quality posts that contribute nothing to the discussion and serve as little more than bait for a derail. Don't forget why USPol was ended and replaced with USCE in the first place.

I agree that this is an inherent issue for D&D that we don't have an answer to. There's no debate or discussion between "Trump has received no visible constraints on his lifestyle and ability to spout incendiary bullshit and therefore has not seen anything that could be considered consequences" and "Trump has been assigned penalties by our court system and therefore has received consequences, even if the financial details of them and how they affect him are completely hidden from public view" because those are opposite positions starting from opposite pretenses and have nothing new to say on either side. The same with "our system can be meaningfully reformed" vs. "reform will never be meaningful enough and only revolution is acceptable". Nobody has anything new or convincing to say on that, but a bunch of people think they do.

The best solution would be proactive moderation where arguments are identified as "exhausted" and contained in separate threads, but that would involve a) many more moderators to allow for proactive involvement, b) a willingness to shut down discussion, and c) a willingness to put up with the constant "i am being supressed, the mods are afraid of MY TRUTH" response from the people who want to argue those tired points.