Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

hooman posted:

a poster who was probed for responding to me with what you assumed was a sarcastic straw-man of my position, when they had literally agreed with me and clarified my position. Unfortunately this reversal only took place because I happened to notice that they were probed a few pages back and messaged you directly.

I appreciate that, thank you. “Two people can’t possibly both hold this position outside the local overton window, so one of them must be trolling” is fairly emblematic of the moderation problems here. Unfortunately, I’m just too exhausted with kicking receipts up the chain, only to receive a cut-and-paste response that makes it clear those receipts weren’t actually read. It’s clear the current mod team likes what D&D has become, sees no reason to make any fundamental changes, and threads like these are “check the box” performative exercises. Former D&D regimes may have been horrible and biased, but at least they fostered an emotional and intellectual vibrancy - this place is deliberately being suffocated under shades of verbose and droll beige.

My advice to anyone here who feels the need to take a position outside the norm: say what you want to say, and don’t engage or respond. The rules as written, and the way they’re enforced are massively biased against the person getting dogpiled, there are just too many subjective excuses to allow a biased or disinterested moderator to end the conversation by fiat, at your expense. It’s sad to point this out because this place is supposed to foster debate, not strangle it in the crib, but that is the safest path of least resistance based on the current ruleset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Victar posted:

As far as I can tell, dogpiling itself isn't against the D&D rules as listed, and IMO it shouldn't be. As long as dogpilers follow the rules, including the overall rule of "each post should say something interesting, informative, or funny", then it doesn't mean that anything about how D&D works is wrong or bad, it just means that an opinion is unpopular and needs to be defended or conceded.

Not only that, per Koos’ earlier comment, refusing to participate in the dogpile is now punishable. Even better news for those who find a real spectrum of ideas in their Debate forum “gross”.

I’d love to hear some additional policy details: does every member of the dogpile need to be responded to, or just a certain percentage or ratio? How much time do you have to respond before being probed? Do ignored users count? Etc