Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Goggins calling it The Good, the Bad and the Ugly crossed with Doctor Strangelove is a fairly accurate statement for tone. Pulpy but also sharp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Man, that main actress is ridiculously pretty.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

File Purnell into the 'I didn't know she was British' category. She was also really good as the voice of Jinx in Arcane.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If this show turns out to be bad I expect it'll be bad in the way most modern 8-12 episode season shows are bad, not because the showrunners dont understand fallout. Poorly prioritized storytelling, obnoxious cliffhanger episode endings, inexplicable filler episodes despite having a limited runtime, and a structural split between telling a tight, cohesive narrative and wanting to explore a broad canvas of all the franchise iconography and "stuff".

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arc Hammer posted:

If this show turns out to be bad I expect it'll be bad in the way most modern 8-12 episode season shows are bad, not because the showrunners dont understand fallout. Poorly prioritized storytelling, obnoxious cliffhanger episode endings, inexplicable filler episodes despite having a limited runtime, and a structural split between telling a tight, cohesive narrative and wanting to explore a broad canvas of all the franchise iconography and "stuff".

this.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
They are dropping all 8 episodes at once so cliffhanger episodes shouldn't be an issue but I'm sure there will be a cliffhanger season ending, like super mutants show up or something in the stinger.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

They are dropping all 8 episodes at once so cliffhanger episodes shouldn't be an issue

Personally I find this kind of thing tends to (though not always) accompany episodes that are structured like absolute poo poo, so they're still kind of a red flag regardless of how the story is being released.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah I honestly hate cliffhanger endings and stingers. When they're done well, sure, fine whatever. But most of the time they're used to drive this false sense of engagement and pose this utter refusal to let individual episodes stand on their own, either because they don't want you to watch one at a time and instead binge, or because they're incapable of writing a standalone 40 minute story.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Yeah, this seems true. From everything I've seen, they do understand the setting and established canon.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Does this have mandatory advertising, or avoidable advertising?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Torquemada posted:

It's on Prime so avoidable if you pay $2 but I have ad blockers running and never see ads watching it on my PC and have not paid an extra two dollarydoos but do see them if I watch on my phone.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Torquemada posted:

I don't quite understand. I think you'll have to pay for Prime to watch it, and pay for the higher fee (if there is one right now) to watch it on Prime without adverts/commercials.

Or you'll be able to :filez: it some time after it comes out via the usual places, to watch it without adverts/commercials.

It'll be a shame if the Brotherhood of Steel just becomes The Enclave 2.0: Now With Crusadaboos™.

They've already taken (admittedly understandable) 'cuts' regarding the power armour - it's almost exactly what I could see a particularly dedicated group of fans being able to pull together for a convention - I don't see them being able to do Super Mutants at all without a hefty special effects budget.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

They are dropping all 8 episodes at once so cliffhanger episodes shouldn't be an issue but I'm sure there will be a cliffhanger season ending, like super mutants show up or something in the stinger.

Oh jeeze, really? For some reason I thought it was "weekly, and only 1 episode at season start instead of 3 ep". Bleh, I loved the weekly discussions in the WoT thread

Dawgstar posted:

It's on Prime so avoidable if you pay $2 but I have ad blockers running and never see ads watching it on my PC and have not paid an extra two dollarydoos but do see them if I watch on my phone.

Yea, uBlock seems to do a perfect job of snipping them out for me when streaming in my browser. There's like a brief black screen and then immediately back to the video.

This show's release snuck up on me; year's going by too fast. Was just reminded it comes out this month yesterday and then I rewatched the trailer. Expectations are lower, but I guess that's good because then maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 27 days!)

Arc Hammer posted:

just coming from the invincible S2 thread which has every single on of these issues. shogun has all of them, too. just two currently airing examples which are otherwise pretty quality shows.

it's the formula. every show uses it nowadays. but every part of the formula are consistently the worst parts of the show.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

roomtone posted:

just coming from the invincible S2 thread which has every single on of these issues. shogun has all of them, too. just two currently airing examples which are otherwise pretty quality shows.

it's the formula. every show uses it nowadays. but every part of the formula are consistently the worst parts of the show.

For every show that uses the formula effectively there will be dozens that absolutely crumble under the format. It doesn't work for most shows but everyone uses it.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 4, 2024

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Miss the late 20th century dramas where cliffhangers or twists preceded every commercial break

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Eason the Fifth posted:

Miss the late 20th century dramas where cliffhangers or twists preceded every commercial break

Rewatching those on streaming services are a treat. Cliffhanger and fade to black. Now rewind 10 seconds and show the resolution, which is usually nothing special.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Orvin posted:

Rewatching those on streaming services are a treat. Cliffhanger and fade to black. Now rewind 10 seconds and show the resolution, which is usually nothing special.

There's an early Season 1 or 2 episode of Star Trek TNG that ends the cold open with a stinger that Worf might die, and then when the title is over and they come back he's just dizzy and it has nothing to do with the rest of the episode.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I hate pointless mystery boxes. I don't mind a mystery but it the story needs to work towards answering it and just slamming another mystery on top of it is just frustrating.

Though I think it might suffer from what I call :tviv: shows, where its based around the "HOLY poo poo" moments and anything that isn't one, is dismissed as bad. Like you can't just progress the story, or develop relationships, you need to have a Red Wedding or something like that for people to give a poo poo. Walking Dead was really bad for this. It's more of an audience problem than a shows, but I've found a few shows being built around stuff like that.

Thing is, all Fallout stories have been similar, person has a thing they need to find, and in the search, they meet people, gain allies and when they recover the thing, it just leads to a greater problem. The Water Chip leads to the Master, the GECK to the Enclave, The Plantum Chip leads to Caeser legion or the NCR if your that kind of person, and your son leads to the Institute/BoS/Railroad. I figure the show will have a similar story, because that's a pretty basic story outline.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
please be good, please be good, PLEASE be good :ohdear:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's surprising to me that Amazon is opting to put out the entire season at once...I would have thought they would do weekly releases, but I also know they probably don't care as much about that as say, Netflix or Max

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

FistEnergy posted:

please be good, please be good, PLEASE be good :ohdear:

I am just hoping it doesn’t suck. Being average would be a win considering most video game IP movies/shows.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Orvin posted:

I am just hoping it doesn’t suck. Being average would be a win considering most video game IP movies/shows.

I've said for a while that we've gotten to the point where people who played video games as kids/teens/young adults are old enough to actually have their projects made, so we're going to see video game adaptions that are good. They'll be true to the source material, but not beholden to it. The main thing that gives me hope is the fact that the show is clearly not adapting any of the games stories. There will almost certainly be aspects of them in there, but more in locations and items. Not like we'd see Harold walking around, at least i hope not. But this happens in LA so maybe the Boneyard will be there?

I always felt Fallout had the best chance of being made into a decent movie or show, because the setting is really well fleshed out and you can do a lot with it, without needing to retell the story of the lone wanderer or the chosen one or whomever. Not to mention it is a full on sandbox of a setting, you can do almost any story you want in it, because the games have no problem doing mysteries, horror, action and comedy. Hell you even get aliens and ghosts/monsters because supernatural stuff is part of the series from the start.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

TLOU is so far the most accurate game translation I have seen. They changed a few things but they stuck pretty close to the first game's story. I do wonder how they are going to tackle the much more complicated second game.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

FlamingLiberal posted:

TLOU is so far the most accurate game translation I have seen. They changed a few things but they stuck pretty close to the first game's story. I do wonder how they are going to tackle the much more complicated second game.

Yea, TLOU is great because the story was already very cinematic. I really should finish watching the show.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
TLOU show is better when it isn't doing 1:1 remakes of scenes from the game.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

twistedmentat posted:

I've said for a while that we've gotten to the point where people who played video games as kids/teens/young adults are old enough to actually have their projects made, so we're going to see video game adaptions that are good. They'll be true to the source material, but not beholden to it. The main thing that gives me hope is the fact that the show is clearly not adapting any of the games stories. There will almost certainly be aspects of them in there, but more in locations and items. Not like we'd see Harold walking around, at least i hope not. But this happens in LA so maybe the Boneyard will be there?

I always felt Fallout had the best chance of being made into a decent movie or show, because the setting is really well fleshed out and you can do a lot with it, without needing to retell the story of the lone wanderer or the chosen one or whomever. Not to mention it is a full on sandbox of a setting, you can do almost any story you want in it, because the games have no problem doing mysteries, horror, action and comedy. Hell you even get aliens and ghosts/monsters because supernatural stuff is part of the series from the start.

I'm going to try cry butterfly tears when, after going by The Ghoul the whole show, Walton Goggins's character says in the last episode "You can call me Harold" and then post credits scene is a little sprout popping up on his head.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
The show is already giving me a bit of hope because the dog companion ISN'T gonna be named Dogmeat.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qljE3C6Gn18

I really don't know why they're hiding the New California Republic so much in these previews and featurettes. They talk about wanting to explore the major factions of the Wasteland but they don't even mention the NCR by name. There's the big BOS NCR fight they keep showing off in the trailers but nary a mention of who they are unless you recognize the flag.

Are they gonna use the NCR as the primary antagonists of the show and that's why they're downplaying them in the trailers? That would actually be pretty interesting, since the NCR is an expansionist nation that makes independent communities a part of them whether they like it or not.

It would also be pretty ballsy to make the post-apocalyptic inheritors of liberal democracy the bad guys. Not that I'd give the BOS credit either, crazy technofascists.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 8, 2024

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
They nuked it, because Todd wanted old fans who think that New Vegas is better that 3&4 to eat poo poo and cry.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Megazver posted:

They nuked it, because Todd wanted old fans who think that New Vegas is better that 3&4 to eat poo poo and cry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWwei13ImZg

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Development's started on the second season of this.

Major Major Major
Apr 23, 2014

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qljE3C6Gn18

I really don't know why they're hiding the New California Republic so much in these previews and featurettes. They talk about wanting to explore the major factions of the Wasteland but they don't even mention the NCR by name. There's the big BOS NCR fight they keep showing off in the trailers but nary a mention of who they are unless you recognize the flag.

Are they gonna use the NCR as the primary antagonists of the show and that's why they're downplaying them in the trailers? That would actually be pretty interesting, since the NCR is an expansionist nation that makes independent communities a part of them whether they like it or not.

It would also be pretty ballsy to make the post-apocalyptic inheritors of liberal democracy the bad guys. Not that I'd give the BOS credit either, crazy technofascists.

I have a feeling they aren’t going to mention the NCR much, or make up a reason to diminish their status after the end of the New Vegas.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Any idea what time the show will drop?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

It's been, in universe, fourteen years since the events of New Vegas. They could take the 'alarmist' talk from Dr. Thomas Hildern - without major intervention, food production will not keep up with population growth and famines will happen within a decade - and Chief Hanlon - there's pretty much no water left in California - both of these could lead to the collapse of central rule that has been presumed to have built up over the years.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Wait, this takes place, canonically, after New Vegas? I assumed it would be an alternate version like they did with Halo.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

counterfeitsaint posted:

Wait, this takes place, canonically, after New Vegas? I assumed it would be an alternate version like they did with Halo.

It's been a while since I read about it, but I think it's someone important's rule (Bethesda?) that the timeline must go forward. So it's over 200 years since the vaults opened and not much has changed because if the world progressed realistically it'd ruin the post-apocalyptic vibe.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hence why New Vegas placed itself on the frontier borders between two nations where things were less civilized and developed. NCR cities in the home states are constructing new buildings rather than squatting in shantytowns. Supposedly.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'm pretty sure they said they were doing that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I think they're going to say it's canon but change a bunch of stuff and there will be a bunch of exhausting lovely arguments on Reddit on whether it's still canon or not and it won't matter because Fallout 5 isn't getting made until like 2035 and we'll all be dead by then.