Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

TulliusCicero posted:

My theory is he got his daughter in the vault but due to conflict with his wife, was denied entry himself, and got blasted by the heatwave outside

Yeah, that makes sense. It appears almost for sure that the initial bombs weren’t responsible for ghouling him just based on this plot thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Also, I think that Thaddeus is not a Ghoul, but becoming a Super mutant, I think the Reddit doctor injected him with FEV, and that explains his resilience and regeneration abilities.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

TulliusCicero posted:

Also, I think that Thaddeus is not a Ghoul, but becoming a Super mutant, I think the Reddit doctor injected him with FEV, and that explains his resilience and regeneration abilities.

I did notice that the effects were careful to show that it healed up, but with a bit of scarring around it. Wonder if that indicates one or the other.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Did anyone else feel Thaddeus's crippled limb walk through the desert, dragging all the gear?

I felt that

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

TulliusCicero posted:

I think Vault-Tec DID have a plan for it to happen their way, maybe even the day after, but Life and their escalation of the Geopolitical conflict came at them fast, and they themselves were caught off guard.

Yeah I think this is right. They discussed it but then it happened naturally so they didn't have to do anything. Might also explain why Hank had access to a nuke. They never got to use it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It would be funnier if all these Vault-Tec contingency plans were put in place but they've all been dismantled or repurposed by surface societies before VT could put them into action.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

It would be funnier if all these Vault-Tec contingency plans were put in place but they've all been dismantled or repurposed by surface societies before VT could put them into action.

I mean, that is hilarious and absolutely possible in the Fallout world. Would explain their bitterness towards the NCR's stability in particular, since they are the closest to a Pre-War democracy, which they DON'T want, but an Oligarchy run by "Management" .

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

TulliusCicero posted:

Did anyone else feel Thaddeus's crippled limb walk through the desert, dragging all the gear?

I felt that

I must've looked away earlier in the episode because I had no idea what happened to dude's foot in the first place and when he took his boots off I was very confused

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

TulliusCicero posted:

I felt that

Yeah that foot was gnarly as hell, I was wincing through out that.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

TontoCorazon posted:

I must've looked away earlier in the episode because I had no idea what happened to dude's foot in the first place and when he took his boots off I was very confused

Maximus stepped on it when they had their little scuffle and then he walked on it for however long lugging that massive bag.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

TontoCorazon posted:

Max stepped on it.

EFB

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

Maximus stepped on it when they had their little scuffle and then he walked on it for however long lugging that massive bag.

That's what I figured happened

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

TulliusCicero posted:

My theory is he got his daughter in the vault but due to conflict with his wife, was denied entry himself, and got blasted by the heatwave outside
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO2sZBg0Ax0&t=295s

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

TulliusCicero posted:

I felt that

Honestly, he made it way too far. He tried to sell the agony, and pretty well, but in practice he’s done for. But it’s a show, stuff needs to happen!

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Enderzero posted:

Honestly, he made it way too far. He tried to sell the agony, and pretty well, but in practice he’s done for. But it’s a show, stuff needs to happen!

Eh, I imagine he had a shitload of Med X and stimpacks as a squire, and he used it for all it was worth.

In his mind all he had to do was bring back the head the Brotherhood and be a hero, he just needs to make it there.

Adrenaline will do a lot

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Yes, he arrived with his own comically huge duffel bag of fresh supplies.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Grand Fromage posted:

When you play the originals you're going to see a lot of stuff Fallout was either the first game to do or at least the first successful game to do. It's one of those games like Deus Ex that influenced every game of its type afterward.
It's one of those games like Doom where its influence is so widespread that even if you haven't played it, if you have played video games in the past 20 years you essentially have played it. Ah man I haven't played it in forever

DarkLich posted:

The author does a good job of arguing for his preference, but it misses a bigger aspect of the Fallout setting. Every studio that's contributed to it has had different mediums and different motives. Fallout isn't some immaculate egg of canon, it's a hodgepodge of creative efforts over decades with various owners.
It's always made me laugh when people talk about being fans of "the Fallout franchise" which is nine games in six genres made by seven studios. At that point what you're a fan of is the logo

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah I think this is right. They discussed it but then it happened naturally so they didn't have to do anything. Might also explain why Hank had access to a nuke. They never got to use it.
I like that because it ties off plot threads neatly, which is my primary criteria for fan theories tbh. I was left wondering "how did Hank manage to do what he did" and "Vault-Tec got hold of the means but didn't have the opportunity to use it" puts a nice bow on things

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 20, 2024

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

TulliusCicero posted:

I felt that

The damage people take in this was so over the top comical that it kind of took me out of it, I assume it's all just a reference to the bloody mess perk. Realistically Thaddeus isn't going anywhere on that foot.

Ben Linus' situation was ever more absurd, using that hybrid replacement foot/meat grinder thing to walk on is beyond cartoon levels of violence and its harder to empathize with due to it's absurdity. He would have been passed out by then.

MedX exists but it's never mentioned anyone has any, we don't even see them use stimpacks, despite stimpacks getting used in several other situations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
In the very first ep we see a character literally stimpak away a stomach knife wound, so from there on i just rolled with everything being Video Game Logic.

Surprised as hell that it works here though, because I can't think of another game adaption where it does

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

TulliusCicero posted:

Eh, I imagine he had a shitload of Med X and stimpacks as a squire, and he used it for all it was worth.

In his mind all he had to do was bring back the head the Brotherhood and be a hero, he just needs to make it there.

Adrenaline will do a lot

Seems like stim-paks would have improved the situation massively, so based on what we see I didn’t think he had them. In the real world that kind of injury is crippling - you can still haul yourself around with a torso injury. But that one is tough for making distance. It’s really fine, it’s a sorta comic book world!

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

This^

It's Fallout medicine. In their world he could have pulled it off, because their world is goofily removed from ours anyway

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Eason the Fifth posted:

In the very first ep we see a character literally stimpak away a stomach knife wound, so from there on i just rolled with everything being Video Game Logic.

Surprised as hell that it works here though, because I can't think of another game adaption where it does

Yeah, I was fine with all that, as the show pretty clearly sets up that it's set in a slightly cartoonish heightened reality. If it was trying to play as serious drama I would've had an issue with it, but for me it was all fine for the tone it set. And with a lot of the goofy poo poo in the Fallout universe you'd have to do a lot of work, or just out right ignore a lot of stuff to play it as a serious drama.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Crippled limbs don’t kill you, they just drastically slow you down!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Bussamove posted:

Thaddeus complaining about how he can't fast travel and doesn't have the point to put in Strong Back.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The stimpack does a lot to establish right away that this is operating under video game logic and it works well.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I did appreciate the time honored Bethesda tradition of overloading your companions with all your crap.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I laughed every time I saw someone carrying that loving bag. And the fact that IIRC no one ever used any of the giant pile of poo poo they were hauling around. Great gag.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Bussamove posted:

Totally! I’m just saying that plus encumbered could have meant a death sentence. Instead it worked perfectly building the universe a lil. I was in on this show as soon as I heard Nolan and Joy were producing. It is right up their alley.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I just hope it doesn't Westworld. Season 1 was a perfectly fine babby's first cyberpunk then season 2 was such diarrhea I stopped watching halfway through.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Grand Fromage posted:

I just hope it doesn't Westworld. Season 1 was a perfectly fine babby's first cyberpunk then season 2 was such diarrhea I stopped watching halfway through.

Yeah. I’m hopeful that there’s enough story and lore that they can crib from that and it will be fine; Westworld was almost completely invented and how could you top that first season?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

I laughed every time I saw someone carrying that loving bag. And the fact that IIRC no one ever used any of the giant pile of poo poo they were hauling around. Great gag.

I remember that one time when Michael Rapaport charcter asked Maximus for a gun, don't remember any others. I just love how much of a lovely hazing type thing carrying the bag obviously was. Like in power amour, carrying the bag would've been trivial, but they still make the squires struggle to carry it, even for really short distance like to the vertibird.

Funnier still, it's just a lovely one strap thing, it's not even a proper backpack. Like that sort of weight over long distances, over one shoulder, that's seriously gonna gently caress up your back. It was just one of those nice subtle details that went into showing how poo poo at every level the Brotherhood of Steel is in this period.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

TulliusCicero posted:

I was actually shocked that the chicken loving snakeoil salesman doctor actually had working remedies even if they also turn people into ghouls

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It does explain why Cooper was basically a bullet sponge

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

dr_rat posted:

Funnier still, it's just a lovely one strap thing, it's not even a proper backpack. Like that sort of weight over long distances, over one shoulder, that's seriously gonna gently caress up your back. It was just one of those nice subtle details that went into showing how poo poo at every level the Brotherhood of Steel is in this period.

They look like golf caddies chasing after some rich rear end in a top hat

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

Well, ideally the showrunners for fallout dont have their heards up their asses like westworld did. Westworlds plot swung wildly because the showrunners got mad at the internet for guessing the big twists so early in the show and the eventual plot points of season 2, so they rewrote it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

AmbientParadox posted:

Well, ideally the showrunners for fallout dont have their heards up their asses like westworld did. Westworlds plot swung wildly because the showrunners got mad at the internet for guessing the big twists so early in the show and the eventual plot points of season 2, so they rewrote it.

Even if they do the show doesn't seem to be very "big twists" heavy. Like maybe (last ep) The dad nuking Shady Sands which did change things, but the heart of the show seems to be very focused on the characters, and "omg twist" doesn't seem to be a propriety, thank god. A twist here and there keeps shows interesting, but oh god I hate shows that just feel the need to put in twist all over the place when they still have a bunch of unresolved stuff they promptly forget.

Just bad writing by writers who are either instructed to do shove in twist all the time or feel really uncertain of themselves and feel they need to put them in to keep people interested.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

TulliusCicero posted:

I felt that

I really enjoyed how many times in the season it felt like it should pop up "You are overencumbered and cannot run!"

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

I did appreciate the time honored Bethesda tradition of overloading your companions with all your crap.

And Lucy did only had 1 companion at any given time...

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Steve Yun posted:

It does explain why Cooper was basically a bullet sponge

he just ate that food and got HP back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Massive_Idiot posted:

I am one of those people who came out of the gate fomenting bile for exec producer Todd Howard and his management of the series but the reality is the show is fun and good. I do feel this article best summarizes some of my thoughts on storytelling and agency, change, in the fallout setting and the concerns I’d have with becoming too invested in it in future titles or media.

https://www.pcgamer.com/movies-tv/i-loved-the-fallout-tv-show-but-i-did-it-in-spite-of-bethesdas-stifling-take-on-the-wasteland/

I’d be curious to see some thoughts. Season 2 could easily fix up the hiccups found in season 1 and I agree with the idea of change and even killing of sacred things in relation to a setting but good writing pulls that off not “quick” writing which I see signs of in the production of this show. It’s good.. but rushed. It needs to slow down and take its time or it’ll run out of gas imo.

wait, didn't NV say that all the stability of the NCR was built on sand and things were falling apart back home?