Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Tankbuster posted:

wait, didn't NV say that all the stability of the NCR was built on sand and things were falling apart back home?

I don't know if I would go that far, but to a degree yes

NV does have a number of people from the NCR that feel the expansion into Nevada and the annexation of the Dam and Vegas are bad ideas for numerous reasons:

Many of the old school rangers think its a terrible idea as House has basically gotten to bleed the NCR out slowly financially, while forcing them into a possible unwinnable conflict with the legion.

There's a ton of talk of upheaval at home about the length of the war and if this poo poo is actually worth it. The current President is not looked at fondly by many old school NCRs, bit of a jingoist idiot. Many also think the NCR is growing way too fast to be sustainable.

If the NCR won the war, but House stabbed them in the back with his securitrons, or the Legion blew up the dam in spite, it would absolutely change the game for the NCR. If Shady Sands happened right after, the loss of that much electricity/ loss of stability in that area would certainly been enough to cause the NCR to fall into a period of retraction/ decline.

I don't think it kills them, as the NCR is BIG and has multiple states, but it explains Moldaver's desperation to get that power source and the lengths she would go to on behalf of the NCR.

The NCR is not the only faction to have massive doubts about the war either. Even the Legion has grumbling from the ranks about how Vegas isn't worth it when they could just expand infinitely all over back East, but Caesar has decided he needs his Great Triumph and new Rome, soooo.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Apr 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
the legion would eventually run into synths and get stomped.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Tankbuster posted:

the legion would eventually run into synths and get stomped.

When they say "East", I believe the Legion means towards Texas/ the Great Plains

I don't see then reaching even PA/ East Coast where the Maxson Brotherhood is, let alone whatever the gently caress is going down in the American South or Great Lakes Region.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I also got the feeling that both factions couldn't not march on Vegas. The NCR wanted to create all the luxuries of the old world, and thus needed to burn resources at an equivalent rate. Meanwhile Caesar certainly could just conquer safe and easy targets of disconnected tribes all along the American Southwest, but his cult of personality means he must seek GLORY at all times, especially as everyone could tell he had brain cancer and an increasing number of trusted centurions were grumbling about doing the job better

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The Legion was doomed because it was completely focused on Caeser. Lanius was just a guy with a big sword that only knew violence and didn't have the intelligence or charisma of Caeser.

Anyways, I had a thought, maybe the reason this is set on the west coast and deals with stuff there is because Bethesda has no plans to ever revisit that part of the settings, at least not for a long time. This gives them a freer hand that if they set it on the west coast in case Bethesda decides to do Fallout 5 in New York City or Atlanta or something.

Also with the BoS, I wonder if the reason its all weird and catholic is that the clerics gained power over the scribes and knights, and that made them more dogmatic and inflexible, and cruel.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

The Legion was doomed because it was completely focused on Caeser. Lanius was just a guy with a big sword that only knew violence and didn't have the intelligence or charisma of Caeser.

Ehhhh

Caesar VASTLY overestimates his own intelligence, yeah he's clever at times, but dude fundamentally misunderstands some of the things he talks to you about, especially philosophy.

He comes off as a Romophile Discord Server Admin in that "I AM JUST SOO MUCH SMARTER" thing

You can convince Lanius to give up Vegas through logic, you can't convince Caesar

Lanius seems a lot more clever at the end of NV than his rep suggests, he's still a brutal loving warlord who kills everyone if he takes over, but he's not "low intelligence" speech check levels of dumb.

Now charisma wise, Caesar does hold a lot of the legion together through that (and also disintegrating the cultural identity of all the tribes in it/ basing his entire economy on slave labor/ women). It is doomed to fail.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Wow Fallout 1 gameplay is pretty clunky. Is the story worth powering through or should I just watch a let’s play

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Steve Yun posted:

Wow Fallout 1 gameplay is pretty clunky. Is the story worth powering through or should I just watch a let’s play

Yes it's good. You'll get used to it. The game's all about making decisions so watching someone else's choices won't be as fun. Fallout 2 has some refinements and UI improvements that help once you get there.

If the combat's really driving you crazy there is no shame in editing your character to be able to blow through it and just focus on the story: https://www.nma-fallout.com/resources/falche-fallout-1-editor.15/

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 20, 2024

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The main quest being on a timer really sucks though, it's incredibly easy to lose to game simply because you run out of time not knowing where to go.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

You can mitigate the timer pretty significantly.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Did someone post about a steam sale for old fallout games? Is that still happening?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
1, 2 and tactics for $5

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Tankbuster posted:

he just ate that food and got HP back.

He's also hopped up on massive amounts of Fallout drugs, which do wonders for your pain tolerance.

Got a kick out of that one raider taking a variant of Jet.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
That's also assuming everyone at Valt-Tec stayed on plan. If I'm a VT exec, and my vault is set up and ready to go but other exec's vaults are still doing final set up, an early nuke is just a competitive advantage.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd say that the other Vault Tec reps most certainly did not stay on plan, given how many catastrophically failed insano experiments you come across in the games.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I don't know all the main characters SPECIALs, but I pegged Maximus as 10 Luck and just enough INT to be polysyllabic and was never disappointed.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

It’s pretty clear for anyone who’s played the games that crushed foot guy is on fallout drugs, but it may be one step too far for the casual audience to sus out. Sort of like the Enclave the way it’s shown in the show exists almost without context for the casual viewer.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Grand Fromage posted:

Yes it's good. You'll get used to it.

You'll get used to it but combat in Fallout 1 never gets good lol

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

TulliusCicero posted:

He comes off as a Romophile Discord Server Admin in that "I AM JUST SOO MUCH SMARTER" thing

Welp gotta post this again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwy8I2iPwH0

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Wolfsheim posted:

You'll get used to it but combat in Fallout 1 never gets good lol

(I genuinely like Fallout 1/2 combat but I also played it at the time so I have nostalgia glasses)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, I remember first time playing fallout 1 and dying to the rats in the cave. Then I went and found fallout editor and gave myself like 200 hp.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You also don't have to use companions but they can be helpful in combat. Ian is particularly effective, be sure to give him an automatic weapon to maximize his killing power.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Grand Fromage posted:

You also don't have to use companions but they can be helpful in combat. Ian is particularly effective, be sure to give him an automatic weapon to maximize his killing power.

And then watch him shoot you in the back multiple times.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Communist lies. Ian would never.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Yeah pretty much this

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Finally done...and was great from an original Fallout gamer with a partner who has no idea about the game.

Guess my favorite moment is the ghoul saying "You coming? Then get your crap together and come on." He has his uses for people/pets after he remembers.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
So...No real resolution on any single story arc whatsoever, huh? Definitely giving me westworld/lost vibes.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

VagueRant posted:

So...No real resolution on any single story arc whatsoever, huh? Definitely giving me westworld/lost vibes.

maximus had a full story-circle-rear end getting-what-he-wanted-after-he-no-longer-wants-it arc man, come on

though as the least interesting and most passive of the three protagonists I can see how that could still be unsatisfying

Grand Fromage posted:

(I genuinely like Fallout 1/2 combat but I also played it at the time so I have nostalgia glasses)

even when you're choosing 'correctly' its mostly just fun to click on things and watch them die in a shower of gore, but its probably got the most egregious trap builds (throwing weapons? gambling? doctor and first aid as separate skills? big guns before the last 10% of the game?) i've ever seen

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 20, 2024

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Grand Fromage posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKumecBEssc&t=22s

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Arc Hammer posted:

I'd say that the other Vault Tec reps most certainly did not stay on plan, given how many catastrophically failed insano experiments you come across in the games.

Were Vault Tec people even in the bad vaults? I assumed that the egregious experiment vaults were just going to be monitored remotely. At least, that's how I'd set it up. Bury fiber/cables deep underground through rural areas that aren't likely to get nuked to keep communications up for as long as possible and then just monitor how the experiments are going from one of the good vaults.

Also, I'm of the thought that Vault Tec had planned to start off the nuke war to get a good return on their vault investment, but then geopolitics be geopolitics and the nukes went flying on their own. I assume that's why Hank was able to nuke Shady Sands. He likely had access to one of the nukes Vault Tec was going to use, but didn't have to. So he instead used it later to nuke Shady Sands.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The edit of this with the Fallout 1 HUD is hilarious.

https://twitter.com/valarynn/status/1779640627170308100?t=gTuW5UaH_n3wZ9KYgNClYA&s=19

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Cojawfee posted:

Also, I'm of the thought that Vault Tec had planned to start off the nuke war to get a good return on their vault investment, but then geopolitics be geopolitics and the nukes went flying on their own. I assume that's why Hank was able to nuke Shady Sands. He likely had access to one of the nukes Vault Tec was going to use, but didn't have to. So he instead used it later to nuke Shady Sands.

That's been a consistent story detail through every game in the franchise that even Todd won't touch. No one knows who fired the first shot and it absolutely does not matter who fired the first shot, because of the million little steps everyone in the old world took to bring themselves that much closer to Midnight

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

This whole scene was so funny

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
I had no idea it was this bad. Some people are real shitheads.

https://kotaku.com/fallout-3-reveal-death-threats-security-guard-bethesda-1851423466

Important snips:

quote:

Fallout is currently one of the biggest things in the world thanks to Amazon’s hit TV show. However, before all that, there was a time when Fallout as a franchise seemed dead. Then Bethesda stepped in, bought the IP in 2007, and announced plans to make Fallout 3, reviving the post-apocalyptic RPG series. And that’s when the company was flooded with death threats.

“I know it might shock you to learn that not every gamer is a wonderful person. And Fallout, I’m sorry to say, had more than its average share of less-than-pleasant fans. To this small but very vocal community, our attempt to resurrect the franchise was nothing less than a sacrilege. For the first time ever, Bethesda had to hire a security guard.”

I talked to Lobe via Instagram about this detail, and he was unable to provide any more details as it’s “kinda been too long” and he couldn’t remember many more details. “But I remember there was a lot of toxicity in places like [Fallout fan site] No Mutants Allowed,” added Lobe.

If you're like this, gently caress you. Seriously.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Every Fallout fan either loving loathes NMA or regularly posts on there. If there are any new fans from the show reading this: You'll find out why soon enough

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

guys like that really do live in their moms' basements

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'll never understand the whole sending death threats thing. Such a nonsense thing to do.

I made it through three entire episodes of Cowboy Bebop before giving up, and never once through that nightmarish experience did it ever occur to me to threaten the lives of the people who created that monster.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

DarklyDreaming posted:

Every Fallout fan either loving loathes NMA or regularly posts on there. If there are any new fans from the show reading this: You'll find out why soon enough

I've actually never visited NMA before today despite being a Fallout fan for decades. I've of course heard of it a handful of times over the years, I've just never had a desire to be part of that kind of dedicated fan community for, well, anything. (Unless Star Trek Shitposting counts?)

I decided to see what all the fuss was about and had a look at some of the posts and comments just now. Let's just say after 5 minutes or so, I've unsurprisingly come to the conclusion that I haven't missed out on anything and that I'm pretty well done with them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/Rooocky76/status/1781697159307604013?t=HW19Art5QFt5jJUFLctwzg&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Oh in addition to steam selling the classic games for cheap, Fallout 4 is $5 on PlayStation right now

4 GOTY edition goes on sale for $10 pretty regularly and is overdue for another sale soon