Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqcelPHPwIM

Very nice suite of the different theme songs from thr games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Fallout 4 vanilla has a few fun surprises, like the introduction of the BoS and weird side quest stuff.
But I don't think anyone loves it if they don't love the crafting system.
I feel like Far Harbor and Nuka World are awesome and the robot crafting stuff in the Automatron add-on is fun as hell.
I just wish I had something that let me play SimSettlement.

I also think people's opinions hinge on what Fallout they started with and their own Fallout head-canon, just like most big IP series.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 22, 2024

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

TulliusCicero posted:

This^

It's a problem I often have with Beth Fallout: the most interesting facts about a faction aren't told or shown to you, they are stated to you in a textbook on a loading screen

The pieces for those organizations to be really interesting, but they just don't come together in all that interesting a way.

A shame, I truly want to like Fallout 4, and I think it's far and away better than 3 as a story, at least vanilla, but it's just disappointing for how truly amazing it could be.

I might end up picking it up for cheap and playing Far Harbor and Nuka World, see if my opinion changes

See I like that you have to explore around and find out what people are up to. I can understand why people might not like it and have a complete story told in the narration.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

TyrantWD posted:

I've played two hours of Fallout 4, and about 30 minutes of Fallout 76 and that is all the Fallout I've ever played.

The show got me wanting to dive in and finally give the games a chance, so I tried booting up Fallout 4 - and well, it doesn't really work on ultrawide, but at least the update that fixes that is well timed so I can give it a shot this weekend.

New Vegas

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

New Vegas has the best story and world of the 3d Fallouts and it isn't really close, but 4 plays like a modern game, doesn't crash constantly, and is more of a shooter than an rpg. It really depends what you're after.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
world, I disagree with. Story definitely. Maybe ulysses was really annoying to me.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The New Vegas dlc was extremely hit or miss, no argument there.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
New Vegas was great on story and factions, weaker on world and exploration. The early game works you into a linear tour around the whole wasteland perimeter (which you can thankfully bypass on following playthroughs with the stealth boy trick and some careful saves), even once you're past that there are lots of invisible walls around hilly terrain, half the world locations are "three picnic tables and a star bottlecap" and most of the actual "dungeons" are pretty lackluster. So it depends how much of which you want out of your Fallouts, though I liked both and NV had more replayability due to very different questline options.

DLC changed it up a lot, but it definitely gonna be divisive. Dead Money wasn't originally conceived in the Fallout universe and it shows. I like it, I can see why others don't. Old World Blues is good exploration and plot but only if you're into the wacky side of Fallout. . Lonesome Road is super linear and on the trail of Ulysses, who perfectly represents the tabletop gaming experience of the favorite new NPC your DM is sure you'll love and be obsessed with through the whole plot. Honest Hearts is kinda inoffensively just more of the New Vegas plot I guess.

I'll grant, it's still a lot better than the Fallout 3 DLC which was two corridor shooters, a continuation of the main plot that should have been in the vanilla game, and one actual DLC sort of zone.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Think Skyrim was when bethesda started putting more effort into the DLC. I liked Shivering isles but Solstheim/DB did the memberberries very well while integrating it into skyrim.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
The only critique I have of the NV world is that there's less POIs, but sometimes that can be a good thing when they all start feeling same-y in F3 and F4.

NV DLC is always super polarizing, personally I really like Dead Money and Lonesome Road, sort of like Old World Blues, and find Honest Hearts interminably boring.

tadashi posted:

I just wish I had something that let me play SimSettlement.

Can't tell if this statement means you know of these already, but there are mods that sort of do this with Sim Settlements and Sim Settlements 2

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

TulliusCicero posted:

A shame, I truly want to like Fallout 4, and I think it's far and away better than 3 as a story, at least vanilla, but it's just disappointing for how truly amazing it could be.

I will say Fallout 4 is way more Boston than Fallout 3 is DC if that makes any sense? I felt Fallout 4's world felt a bit more fleshed out in terms of actual like map and what have you.

Fallout 4 had elements that could of worked but it just never comes together in a satisfying way. I think its still a decent game just way more FPS focused than 3 was.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
It helped that a lot of the criticism of 3 was the really weak aspects in FPS so they worked out a way of making the shooting good. At that point a lot of the skills just got rolled into perks. The fallout 4 system wouldn't be half-bad if they had non charisma speech checks enabled throughout.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Yeah Lonesome Road is basically Chris Avellone forcing everybody to play with his "OC do not steal" and it's easily the worst of the NV DLCs. For all its faults, Fallout 4 is probably the most distilled "put on music/a podcast and wander" game of the series, just tons of little points of interest in a gigantic map.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
was ulysses supposed to be a basegame character or something?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Tankbuster posted:

was ulysses supposed to be a basegame character or something?

He was. And he had way, way more dialogue that they literally couldn't fit him on the disc for the console versions which resulted in him getting cut before getting resurrected for the DLCs

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Maybe, he gets mentioned a fair bit in the base game, then they built him up through the various DLCs. I found the buildup very intriguing, stuff like the ending clips of Dead Money with these very evocative little sentences talking about this great battle/meeting between you and this other Courier. Then his DLC was quite long winded and a bit much ultimately, fell into the same trap the 3 dlcs did as well with some very bullet spongey enemies. Point Lookout was the best DLC in 3 and even that had some very hard to kill dudes.

I'd agree that New Vegas's one weakness was lack of dungeons and combat setpieces to use the much better balanced guns and armour system on. Still my favourite Fallout game by far but I do wish it had just a couple more areas with lots of enemies and some very minor quest pointing you in the direction.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

He was. And he had way, way more dialogue that they literally couldn't fit him on the disc for the console versions which resulted in him getting cut before getting resurrected for the DLCs

My tolerance for an Avellone character monologuing at me has greatly decreased in recent years.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

UnknownMercenary posted:

Yeah Lonesome Road is basically Chris Avellone forcing everybody to play with his "OC do not steal" and it's easily the worst of the NV DLCs. For all its faults, Fallout 4 is probably the most distilled "put on music/a podcast and wander" game of the series, just tons of little points of interest in a gigantic map.

I agree with this

I like the concept of Ulysses, and I really like the set-up idea of Lonesome Road, but it does turn into him monologueing at you for hours through your robot friend, for poo poo you don't even know you did

Like you aren't really even the same person anymore after the shot to the head, and quite frankly there is no evidence that suggests Courier 6 even knew what they were doing with the delivery in Hopesville

He's just stuck in his own trauma about being Caesar's willing dog and helping the White Legs destroy New Canaan

Cool loot though from that DLC

I personally think Dead Money is fantastic, same with Honest Hearts, Old World Blues is fun in a goofy way.

Elijah, Christine, Dean, Dog are all great, same with Joshua Graham. I wish you could have Graham as a companion outside of Zion though. I love that he's basically like a Vengeance Paladin/ Redeemed Blackguard or something from Dungeons and Dragons.

I actually really like Point Lookout, I think it's the most Fallout 3 ever gets to the original formula, though I won't lie the Pitt is also a really cool setpiece (wish we could have explored even more of it, should have been much bigger.)

Broken Steel just felt like "Uh we don't really have a central antagonist now, finish off the Enclave/ BOS I Guess? LOOK MORE LOOT! MORE LEVELS! MORE PERKS!

Operation Anchorage besides the cool loot you get out of it is straight fuckin booty though, and Mothership Zeta is both "What" and Boring somehow.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

This thread is helping me to understand the value of Beth Fallout in their world design/ dungeon level design.

I do feel Vegas is lacking besides a few of the REALLY good Vaults some fun dungeon/ level design. Absolutely fiendish traps/ encounters though.

Meanwhile I only played Fallout 4 for like a few weeks, and I still remember that sick Metalworks place full of raiders you can sneak through, barge in full force, snipe from above or blow up.

I really liked the sheer vertical scale of 4's map, where you fight Supermutants on top of burnt out skyscrapers, that poo poo did feel awesome.

And Fallout 4/ 76 really GETS Power Armor, like it's a blast to use in those games, and I don't even like power armor typically

...Hmm, I might be trying Fallout 4 with all the DLC this week lol

But then there is the Settlements BLEGH

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 22, 2024

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I wish they could've gotten Ulysses in the base game since the Legion needed more stuff. A Legion-aligned companion would help a lot, plus the plans to have a little bit of actual civilian Legion territory so you could take a peep at what life is like there outside of the military.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

This thread is helping me to understand the value of Beth Fallout in their world design/ dungeon level design.

I do feel Vegas is lacking besides a few of the REALLY good Vaults some fun dungeon/ level design. Absolutely fiendish traps/ encounters though.

Meanwhile I only played Fallout 4 for like a few weeks, and I still remember that sick Metalworks place full of raiders you can sneak through, barge in full force, snipe from above or blow up.

I really liked the sheer vertical scale of 4's map, where you fight Supermutants on top of burnt out skyscrapers, that poo poo did feel awesome.

And Fallout 4/ 76 really GETS Power Armor, like it's a blast to use in those games, and I don't even like power armor typically

...Hmm, I might be trying Fallout 4 with all the DLC this week lol

But then there is the Settlements BLEGH

Yeah Vegas is a pretty linear rpg that fills the world with interesting characters and situations, but 4 is an open exploration game that fills it with much more shallow interactions but is a much better playing combat game, it can be genuinely fun to lose yourself in wandering around.

I do wish instead going deep on the settlements bethesda looked more into interesting ai interactions like say sid meiers pirates or mount and blade, that would be something that could spice the world up.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Honestly my biggest problem with the 3D fallouts is I thought the art design was ugly for all the games. The worlds were built of textures that just kind of merged into the ground and looked like poo poo.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

TyrantWD posted:

I've played two hours of Fallout 4, and about 30 minutes of Fallout 76 and that is all the Fallout I've ever played.

The show got me wanting to dive in and finally give the games a chance, so I tried booting up Fallout 4 - and well, it doesn't really work on ultrawide, but at least the update that fixes that is well timed so I can give it a shot this weekend.

You need one of the 500,000 Fallout 4 mods on nexusmods. You can check your many, many... many booba mods in glorious ultra wide.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Steve Yun posted:

I’m reading here and there that Bethesda’s games kinda lost sight of the anti-corporate satire of the first two games. How true is this?
Having played only 4, I'd say it's pretty anti-corporate satire, it's just, the story is really really thin, mostly being just text logs you can read from computer terminals around the world.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

My opinion is that the key to enjoying Fallout 4 is to never build anything except what's required to complete quests.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Chamale posted:

My opinion is that the key to enjoying Fallout 4 is to never build anything except what's required to complete quests.

I like the building though, although I would just console command 999 of the items I needed because gently caress looking for resources

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
In survival mode buildings actually a lot improved as you really want to have a bed and a few amenities in a few diffrent places around the map. Still don't need settlers and what not, but yeah having the basics, even just a bed and storage is good.

Just wandering about exploring on survival really is the best way to play fallout 4.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
I liked the settlement building TBH.

Then a mate of mine pointed out that I was basically playing a dodgy version of The Sims, I couldn't unsee it, and lost interest.

Definitely agree with the sentiment around the exploration and the FPS gameplay in general, and there are some great moments, but there is a reason why I've reinstalled New Vegas following the series airing while F4 will sit unplayed forevermore.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
The building in FO4 wouldn't have been as obnoxious if the interface for doing it wasn't so loving terrible, and/or if they hadn't leaned into it so heavily for all the DLC. Building stuff by running around in first person and scrolling through dozens of items in a linear menu to try and find a piece you want was just awful.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

The thing I couldn't stand about it, was that it was all preformed structures, that you could just tack poo poo onto. Maybe that changed or I'm not remembering it right.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I really like Aaron Moten's performance in this. He carries a lot of the Brotherhood scenes just by keeping the viewer guessing whether he's going to do something good or evil. He's very believable as someone who is basically normal but grew up in a hyper-violent world and has to kind of compartmentalize their friendly normal affect and their cold violent affect. He does this thing where his face goes slack when he's considering selfish violent actions that's pretty unsettling.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I'm waiting for that Fallout: London action. A mod that is basically its own Fallout game? I'm game!

sucks that they have to now patch it for Bethesda's massive update breaking poo poo but i'm patient

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Extremely funny that a few minutes after Barb suggests nuking the world, Dane confesses to Maximus that they put the razor blade in their own boot

Incredible parallel. Fantastic writing.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 23, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Do the games ever hint at what happened to the world outside America for the last 200 years

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Arglebargle III posted:

I really like Aaron Moten's performance in this. He carries a lot of the Brotherhood scenes just by keeping the viewer guessing whether he's going to do something good or evil. He's very believable as someone who is basically normal but grew up in a hyper-violent world and has to kind of compartmentalize their friendly normal affect and their cold violent affect. He does this thing where his face goes slack when he's considering selfish violent actions that's pretty unsettling.

Yeah I loved his character for this. I'm still on the fence whether or not he maimed his friend to get a leg up, then the friend copped to it later just because he figured riding coattails was the best way out of being a neophyte.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Steve Yun posted:

Do the games ever hint at what happened to the world outside America for the last 200 years

Not really. The Bethesda games inexplicably have a few people who immigrated from Europe. Best just ignored IMO. There's one companion in New Vegas from Mexico which doesn't sound that different.

There was a proposed Fallout game that would have been a tactical squad combat going up through Alaska, across to the USSR and down into China but that never happened.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

Not really - there is at least one NPC that managed to travel across the Atlantic from the UK, and there are certainly people from Central America present in the west coast games (also the NCR annexed Baja California).

The games do confirm the state of the world before the bombs dropped; it was in a state of economic and social collapse from decades of resource wars and IIRC there were limited nuclear exchanges in the middle east and Europe before the big one - basically it was all going to hell in a very Mad Max sort of way.

By 2077 China and the USA were the only two superpowers left standing and had been fighting for over a decade over Alaska (and the oil there), during which time the USA annexed Canada. Before the bombs dropped the USA had pushed the Chinese out of Alaska and invaded the Mainland, and there are references to US forces being outside of Beijing just before the the bombs fell.

EDIT: Double checked a few things. I'm also reminded that there is an enclave (lower case e) of people descendent from the crew of a Chinese Submarine that washed ashore in San Francisco; presumably they were unable to travel back to China, or there was nothing left to travel back to.

Rougey fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 23, 2024

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I think my main problem with Fallout 3/ 4 is the lack of options for your character background:

In 3 you are always Liam Neeson of different flavor's kid

In 4 you are always married before, and even your past job is chosen by gender, and you have a poo poo kid

Courier 6 could have been anything from a Frumentari spy, a BOS veteran, a former raider/ prospector/ doctor, or just a very angry Mail Man.

On top of that Fallout 4 makes speech checks "barely functional human" "extremely agreeable" "incredibly :smaug:"

It makes roleplaying as anything else but the role they give you dialog for incredibly difficult

Are there any mods that give alternate origin options in 4?

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 23, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think Bethesda needs to realize that they suck at main stories and just focus entirely on environmental storytelling. Then get someone else to write the main quest. And make the main quest generic enough that it could be anyone. I do get annoyed in my FO4 playthrough that I have to acknowledge that shaun exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Fallout is a quintessentially (white) American story and I think it would fall so flat trying to depict the rest of the world.