Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Rougey posted:

Then a mate of mine pointed out that I was basically playing a dodgy version of The Sims, I couldn't unsee it, and lost interest.

Sims dungeon crawling sucks, and the loot table is pure rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah but Sims also has some bangin songs like Bleepy Norp and Wug Tog (Weela Doo Dog)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Maybe Bethesda can hire George R R Martin to write some lore and they can focus on environments

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

A loving reference to The Searchers lol

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Vegetable posted:

Fallout is a quintessentially (white) American story and I think it would fall so flat trying to depict the rest of the world.

dunno about white but the meat of the series is the americana.

Steve Yun posted:

Maybe Bethesda can hire George R R Martin to write some lore and they can focus on environments

Martin wishes he could write anything half as cool as morrowind.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
finished up, didn't hate it, but the overarching storyline was pretty uninteresting as opposed to the characters, keen to see next season though and where they're taking it

as someone that played through 3 and NV and liked them a lot, I really saw 4 as a massive step back, I'm not seeing much of that in the TV show, but pointing toward new vegas proper I can't wait to have an absolute ragegasm from the retconning that's about to take place

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Paracausal posted:

finished up, didn't hate it, but the overarching storyline was pretty uninteresting as opposed to the characters, keen to see next season though and where they're taking it

as someone that played through 3 and NV and liked them a lot, I really saw 4 as a massive step back, I'm not seeing much of that in the TV show, but pointing toward new vegas proper I can't wait to have an absolute ragegasm from the retconning that's about to take place

How can you retcon something with multiple endings and no follow up to suggest which is the right one?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Stegosnaurlax posted:

How can you retcon something with multiple endings and no follow up to suggest which is the right one?

They'll probably say new Vegas reverted to how it was in the game and write a story that takes place there.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

roomtone posted:

The only issue I have with full season drops vs weekly is that there are people who literally hit play the second this thing was uploaded and watched all 8 episodes in a row through the night, because it's been out for a total of 10 hours right now, and are posting about the whole season which is nearly that long.

I mean I can't stop em, and maybe I'd binge a season immediately in the .right circumstances, but the thing I like about weekly or at least staggered releases is it lets everybody have some time to get to the same point and talk about it for a while. Cos as it is, it's like, spoilers could be for ep1 or something that happens in the last 10 seconds.

I saw it referred to as water cooler shows and yeah it kind of sucks. Even going through wanting to talk about something you'll fly past a block of spoilered text and yeah, never going back to see what it says :(

Some shows seem to work better as once a week too, building speculation and stuff week to week was fun. I get the same feeling of wanting to talk about it but afraid to

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Steve Yun posted:

Starfield had 17,000 food items that served no purpose, so he might already be.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Stegosnaurlax posted:

I mean, just pick one? Or write something different entirely? It's not really retcon when there's no established canon to maintain continuity with, I'd rather they just go with something that makes for an interesting story.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I mean, just pick one? Or write something different entirely? It's not really retcon when there's no established canon to maintain continuity with, I'd rather they just go with something that makes for an interesting story.

Isn't that what they are doing?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Isn't that what they are doing?

Oh wow, yep I completely misread what you were saying. Too early in the morning for posting. :eng99:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I hope that the NCR won at Hoover Dam and currently occupy the Mojave as the "Free State of New Vegas" or something. Make them an NCR splinter state that seceded from the republic after the homeland got nuked. If new BOS Chapters, Enclave Bases and Super Mutant strains can show up in every new Fallout title then an endless parade of NCR successor groups can also show up.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 23, 2024

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I think House still running New Vegas and dealing with the different tribes he installed would be about a million times more interesting than any NCR stuff

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I was actually really impressed with the way they found to basically reset all the factions so that the show is kinda consistent with the game canon and yet at the same time they're all introduced 'fresh' and game events don't matter. The NCR exists but got nuked. The BOS used to rule the wasteland but turned inwards and gave it all up. Vault-tec is evil but the vaults are all isolated from each other and the whole point is they all have a secret different thing going on so characters can discover this over and over again.

Hank is going to New Vegas for a reason so its presumably in a non-aligned state. One of the themes of the show is 'people good, factions make people do bad things', so it would make sense to set season 2 in a location where none of the faction players have any control or influence.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

hawowanlawow posted:

I think House still running New Vegas and dealing with the different tribes he installed would be about a million times more interesting than any NCR stuff

They already had him on the show, so I am hoping they do something interesting with Vegas.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Arc Hammer posted:

If new BOS Chapters, Enclave Bases and Super Mutant strains can show up in every new Fallout title then an endless parade of NCR successor groups can also show up.

All those things were/are bad, though. While some writers were against the post-post-apocolypse stuff, it at least followed through on previous stuff. Just going 'yeah, I guess FEV was studied here, too, and somehow they made super mutants too' is getting more dumb in every iteration. I don't know how the mutants in Boston have got their numbers so high after the Institute shut down production. At least in 3 the mutants were probably dragging victims back to that one Vault to make more of themselves.

The course-correction from Fallout 3's Brotherhood to Fallout 4's was pretty bad, too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

hawowanlawow posted:

Doing that would just be a repeat of the House questline from New Vegas, though.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
at what point does it stop though. Its a post apocalyptic RPG. Somehow I doubt that there will be a fanbase as engaged in "ballot stuffing wars between brahmin barons in the NCR" at the same level as the setting.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Doing that would just be a repeat of the House questline from New Vegas, though.

not really if he has a giant robot army too

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Tankbuster posted:

at what point does it stop though. Its a post apocalyptic RPG. Somehow I doubt that there will be a fanbase as engaged in "ballot stuffing wars between brahmin barons in the NCR" at the same level as the setting.

Well it has stopped, because everything post-New Vegas has decided that Fallout can only ever be junk towns, wastelands and no forward progress at all unless it leads us to another showdown between the Brotherhood and whatever faction of the day getting a power armored boot to the face for daring to be anything other than scrap heap mad max cosplayers. I didn't realize that the NCR was so despised as being this boring faction that is ruining the wasteland junk simulator vibes that the majority of people seem to want from Fallout.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Well it has stopped, because everything post-New Vegas has decided that Fallout can only ever be junk towns, wastelands and no forward progress at all unless it leads us to another showdown between the Brotherhood and whatever faction of the day getting a power armored boot to the face for daring to be anything other than scrap heap mad max cosplayers. I didn't realize that the NCR was so despised as being this boring faction that is ruining the wasteland junk simulator vibes that the majority of people seem to want from Fallout.

I'm entirely exasperated with the American government and have absolutely zero desire to watch a story about another one growing into power. I am totally cool with it getting nuked so I don't have to listen to more "yeah it's the same and still bad but it's the best we got" claptrap

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Arc Hammer posted:

No people think America but with SWAT teams in jeans was this deep biting critique of americana or something. As far as the story goes, the nuking of shady sands provides a pretty good point. Yes people can rebuild with a bunch of scraps and without the Gaze of Vaultboy beaming down of them. Uncle Sam will still burn it to the ground because of divorced dads.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Tankbuster posted:

Uncle Sam will still burn it to the ground because of divorced dads.

Hank had the perfect mancave and still couldn’t leave his ex wife alone

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I dont even know why I brought it up because it's pointless arguing with you. You've spent the better part of two weeks tilting at windmills over people upset that a part of Fallout they enjoy is gone and if people try to explain what they like about them your response is "swat teams with jeans are stupid"

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I think its a unique thing if people aren't rebuilding the same old structures before the war. :shrug:

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

They can do for New Vegas what they did with Daggerfall and just say that somehow every ending happened simultaneously

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Arc Hammer posted:

I dont even know why I brought it up because it's pointless arguing with you. You've spent the better part of two weeks tilting at windmills over people upset that a part of Fallout they enjoy is gone and if people try to explain what they like about them your response is "swat teams with jeans are stupid"

I mean I think Tankbuster has posted some extremely dumb poo poo as well but you simultaneously going

Arc Hammer posted:

and

Arc Hammer posted:

I hope that the NCR won at Hoover Dam and currently occupy the Mojave as the "Free State of New Vegas" or something. Make them an NCR splinter state that seceded from the republic after the homeland got nuked.

doesn't really make sense.

How is the former "repeating the plot of the House questline from New Vegas" and the other not repeating some aspects of the setting/plot of several other Fallout games? If it was just about a splinter faction of the NCR holding a built up community and our main characters arrive there, that'd just be largely similar to large parts of the NCR stuff from the other Fallouts right?

One could say "oh but they could explore some other aspects of that" and that'd be true but it's also equally true of the New Vegas/House stuff as well.

Nevermind the fact that the prime target audience of this show probably haven't and won't play New Vegas en masse so even if they were to just repeat that plotline verbatim (which I don't think they will do, but just, conceptually, if they did), it'd be new to them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Tankbuster posted:

I think its a unique thing if people aren't rebuilding the same old structures before the war. :shrug:

Just going to ignore the Brotherhood going Knights Templar, the Enclave being literally the government, the Minutemen, the Railroad, the Three Families emulating Vegas stereotypes, the Elvis-impersonating Kings, the Mongolian wannabe Khans, actual extant Mormons, the Roman cosplaying Legion and everyone else who draws iconography from the prewar world then, right? It's just the NCR who are the problem.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Arc Hammer posted:

Just going to ignore the Brotherhood going Knights Templar, the Enclave being literally the government, the Minutemen, the Railroad, the Three Families emulating Vegas stereotypes, the Elvis-impersonating Kings, the Mongolian wannabe Khans, actual extant Mormons, the Roman cosplaying Legion and everyone else who draws iconography from the prewar world then, right? It's just the NCR who are the problem.

apart from the elvis, and bawston poo poo most of it isn't americana? Mormons irl were in the process of building an alternate society that was reabsorbed into the USA during it's westward march. Americans didn't start Larping as romans because political expediency required the formation of things that weren't available to rome. The mongolian wannabe khans aren't what springs to mind when you think of the USA.

The NCR is the closest thing the setting has to pre-war america in that its an american successor state that has the same political/social structures that the USA had. At best they are the straight man to the wacky stuff like the toaster oven worshipping knights. In terms of the actual show's story the little glimpses we see of the functional NCR is america with better public transport.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

thebardyspoon posted:

How is the former "repeating the plot of the House questline from New Vegas" and the other not repeating some aspects of the setting/plot of several other Fallout games?

If it was just about a splinter faction of the NCR holding a built up community and our main characters arrive there, that'd just be largely similar to large parts of the NCR stuff from the other Fallouts right?

The poster said "House dealing with the Three Families" which is what his questline entails before making his play for the dam. The White Gloves are doing cannibalism again or the Omertas tried to build another chlorine bomb.

A post-Nuke NCR army that has occupied the Dam but is cut off from the home states and is forced to settle in the Mojave with could be an interesting parallel to the way the Legion operated as a mobile army nation. The army structure and loyalty to a burnt flag being the only things holding the Californians together, I don't loving know. I'm not against the NCR getting nuked in the show but I don't want them gone completely because one city got bombed.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Look, them sterilizing the entire setting is worth it tell new stories and show new factions and different locations with…*checks notes…Vault-Tech, the Brotherhood of Steel, and the Enclave in a rejiggered story from F3.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Tankbuster posted:

The NCR is the closest thing the setting has to pre-war america in that its an american successor state that has the same political/social structures that the USA had. At best they are the straight man to the wacky stuff like the toaster oven worshipping knights. In terms of the actual show's story the little glimpses we see of the functional NCR is america with better public transport.

And that's just unacceptable in a Fallout series, I guess considering how gleeful you've been over people upset that it's a crater now, or how other people are so burnt out by their lovely real world government they're happy they're all dead in their fictional escape.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

The poster said "House dealing with the Three Families" which is what his questline entails before making his play for the dam. The White Gloves are doing cannibalism again or the Omertas tried to build another chlorine bomb.

A post-Nuke NCR army that has occupied the Dam but is cut off from the home states and is forced to settle in the Mojave with could be an interesting parallel to the way the Legion operated as a mobile army nation. The army structure and loyalty to a burnt flag being the only things holding the Californians together, I don't loving know. I'm not against the NCR getting nuked in the show but I don't want them gone completely because one city got bombed.

No, I didn't say the three families. I assume House would expand and elevate more surrounding tribes / groups if he wins the NV storyline

and yeah man, the NCR is a million times more boring than any of the other factions. not interested in any Sorkin-esque political maneuverings or whatever, at all. don't care about brahmin barons

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

I really like Aaron Moten's performance in this. He carries a lot of the Brotherhood scenes just by keeping the viewer guessing whether he's going to do something good or evil. He's very believable as someone who is basically normal but grew up in a hyper-violent world and has to kind of compartmentalize their friendly normal affect and their cold violent affect. He does this thing where his face goes slack when he's considering selfish violent actions that's pretty unsettling.

Agreed.
When they show Moten in the suit, he really plays it like he's turned off half his brain and is just being Knight Titus and not a human with a full range of emotions. It's totally nerve wracking to watch someone who seems to be considering hundreds of options and there's not way to predict what they're going to do next.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

hawowanlawow posted:

I'm entirely exasperated with the American government and have absolutely zero desire to watch a story about another one growing into power. I am totally cool with it getting nuked so I don't have to listen to more "yeah it's the same and still bad but it's the best we got" claptrap

I always thought it would be neat to get a communist government rising up in the US. Actually helping people, but then you have a large chunk of the country out to get them because communism == bad. Lots of story that could be told

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Arc Hammer posted:

And that's just unacceptable in a Fallout series, I guess considering how gleeful you've been over people upset that it's a crater now, or how other people are so burnt out by their lovely real world government they're happy they're all dead in their fictional escape.

No, I just think they are among the more boring parts. The sandwich bread of the setting. Something to stand in contrast with the zanier stuff. How is this any different from Star wars fans crying over how Jade Mara is gone or something? I am gleeful because a game series I liked playing had an engaging TV show I could watch with friends.

tadashi posted:

Agreed.
When they show Moten in the suit, he really plays it like he's turned off half his brain and is just being Knight Titus and not a human with a full range of emotions. It's totally nerve wracking to watch someone who seems to be considering hundreds of options and there's not way to predict what they're going to do next.

The Power armor HUD doesn't help.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

RC Cola posted:

I always thought it would be neat to get a communist government rising up in the US. Actually helping people, but then you have a large chunk of the country out to get them because communism == bad. Lots of story that could be told

https://wasteland.fandom.com/wiki/Machine_Commune

This is the best faction in any Fallout-like game I can think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

tadashi posted:

https://wasteland.fandom.com/wiki/Machine_Commune

This is the best faction in any Fallout-like game I can think of.

You play the old world blues mod for hearts of iron 4 and there's robo-zapata ready to lead mexico to maoism-protectronism.