Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

hawowanlawow posted:

No, I didn't say the three families. I assume House would expand and elevate more surrounding tribes / groups if he wins the NV storyline

and yeah man, the NCR is a million times more boring than any of the other factions. not interested in any Sorkin-esque political maneuverings or whatever, at all. don't care about brahmin barons

The House Ending has him give zero fucks about elevating the rest of the groups beyond the Vegas walls. The Kings straight up get gunned down for daring to talk back to the securitrons.

I'm sure you're glad they're all dead then so the only thing of value left is their cool ranger armor without any of that icky politics stuff attached to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

The House Ending has him give zero fucks about elevating the rest of the groups beyond the Vegas walls. The Kings straight up get gunned down for daring to talk back to the securitrons.

I'm sure you're glad they're all dead then so the only thing of value left is their cool ranger armor without any of that icky politics stuff attached to it.

lol I think it's time to walk away for a little while buddy

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
If you want a vision of the future of Fallout, imagine box-art of a Power Armored boot stamping on a human face - forever.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 23, 2024

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Arc Hammer posted:

If you want a vision of the future of Fallout, imagine a box art of a Power Armored boot stamping on a human face - forever.

Sounds bad

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Getting extremely mad that the IP who's tagline is 'War never changes' keeps telling stories about cycles of violence that comes around every time power factions collide

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Alchenar posted:

Getting extremely mad that the IP who's tagline is 'War never changes' keeps telling stories about cycles of violence that comes around every time power factions collide

The only people allowed to continue colliding in endless cinflicts are groups equiped with different flavors of power armor. If you're a normal person wearing jeans and a riot helmet then go gently caress yourself and don't come back to the wasteland playground because you're boring or you make me think about the real world which upsets my sensibilities.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Alchenar posted:

I think it's time the series grows up and shows how Bighorner King Inc. pays off representative Jack Johnson to keep drawing water from lake Mead while everyone else is rationing

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Watched the show this week and as a huge fan of New Vegas and not so much the bethsoft games I thought it was overall pretty great. I can't bring myself to care about Shady Sands being destroyed until they reveal anything about New Vegas itself, the NCR could have absolutely collapsed depending on which ending if any they go with. Even if they don't explain it further the series hasn't been hyper consistent with lore anyway so I still don't think I care. Was neat to see New Vegas at the end. Walton Goggins continues to be a great actor and I'll watch him in anything.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

LashLightning posted:

The course-correction from Fallout 3's Brotherhood to Fallout 4's was pretty bad, too.

? That was one of the evolutions that made the most sense

hawowanlawow posted:

I'm entirely exasperated with the American government and have absolutely zero desire to watch a story about another one growing into power. I am totally cool with it getting nuked so I don't have to listen to more "yeah it's the same and still bad but it's the best we got" claptrap

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Love how the shape of Walton Goggins’ face changes when this song comes on

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=17lkdqoLt44&

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BrotherJayne posted:

Some folks enjoyed a more altruistic Brotherhood chapter and thought the reversion was unfortunate. I don't entirely disagree. Of course a friendlier-ish Brotherhood was one of the changes some people were big mad over when FO3 came out.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wonder if the show will explore the alien plot in some of the games.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

TyrantWD posted:

I've played two hours of Fallout 4, and about 30 minutes of Fallout 76 and that is all the Fallout I've ever played.

The show got me wanting to dive in and finally give the games a chance, so I tried booting up Fallout 4 - and well, it doesn't really work on ultrawide, but at least the update that fixes that is well timed so I can give it a shot this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQNQELRjQaY

Jon from MATN breaks this down quite well, and has played all the titles extensively on his channel, including YOLO (one health bar, no healing) runs for 3/NV/4

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Dawgstar posted:

Some folks enjoyed a more altruistic Brotherhood chapter and thought the reversion was unfortunate. I don't entirely disagree. Of course a friendlier-ish Brotherhood was one of the changes some people were big mad over when FO3 came out.

weren't the BOS in Fallout 1 and 2 standoffish but helpful?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Tankbuster posted:

They're actually very similar to how the show portrays them. They're standoffish assholes with their own agenda and only help the protagonist out when it turns out that the quest you are on is actually investigating the thing they are worried about.

Fallout 3 makes them unambiguous good guys because the story Bethesda wrote was an unambiguous good guys vs bad guys (FO1/2 also had unambiguous bad guys, but they dared to ask the player 'who are you doing this for and why?').

Bethesda tried to make them a bit more ambiguous again in FO4 but because they can't bring themselves to write a faction that a player might not unambiguously identify with, the conflict between the main 'good' factions in FO4 is extremely contrived so you don't really understand why they do anything.

e: NV returned them to standoffish assholes.

A key thing about pre-FO4 games is that the only way for the player to learn how to use Power Armour was to get the BoS to teach them, so gating 'extremely cool poo poo' behind that faction provides a lot of motivated reasoning for people to decide they're cool and good.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 23, 2024

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Arc Hammer posted:

If you want a vision of the future of Fallout, imagine box-art of a Power Armored boot stamping on a human foot - forever.

Fixed that for you.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Jedit posted:

Fixed that for you.

Got a mysterious serum for that, just watch out for chicken fuckers.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

TulliusCicero posted:

This thread is helping me to understand the value of Beth Fallout in their world design/ dungeon level design.

I do feel Vegas is lacking besides a few of the REALLY good Vaults some fun dungeon/ level design. Absolutely fiendish traps/ encounters though.

Meanwhile I only played Fallout 4 for like a few weeks, and I still remember that sick Metalworks place full of raiders you can sneak through, barge in full force, snipe from above or blow up.

I really liked the sheer vertical scale of 4's map, where you fight Supermutants on top of burnt out skyscrapers, that poo poo did feel awesome.

And Fallout 4/ 76 really GETS Power Armor, like it's a blast to use in those games, and I don't even like power armor typically

...Hmm, I might be trying Fallout 4 with all the DLC this week lol

But then there is the Settlements BLEGH

The verticality of 4 is something that I think is amongst its strengths - fighting through ruined Boston feels like fighting through a city rather than a series of city themed corridors.

As someone who came on board with FO3 (I'm mainly a console player and was always sad I missed 1 & 2), New Vegas was disappointing at first because it isn't as good a post-apoc simulator as 3. My perception shifted though and 3 is the one I have the least appetite to ever revisit now. I need to finish 2 and play 1 someday.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Disco Pope posted:

The verticality of 4 is something that I think is amongst its strengths - fighting through ruined Boston feels like fighting through a city rather than a series of city themed corridors.

As someone who came on board with FO3 (I'm mainly a console player and was always sad I missed 1 & 2), New Vegas was disappointing at first because it isn't as good a post-apoc simulator as 3. My perception shifted though and 3 is the one I have the least appetite to ever revisit now. I need to finish 2 and play 1 someday.

Bethesda have always (up until Starfield at least) been fantastic at building worlds and terrible at actually populating them.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
wrong. Their main stories are kinda boring because they silo stuff into standalone quests.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Morrowind is Bethesda's last good RPG in my opinion.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Morrowind was a step down from Daggerfall.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Tankbuster posted:

Morrowind was a step down from Daggerfall.

if you enjoy randomly generated content daggerfall isn't bad but come on

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
that was the joke. Morrowind was when they started tightening things up. Starfield was them trying to take another bite at the procgen daggerfall apple and the reception to it might dull their appetite for another generation.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Tankbuster posted:

No. In Fallout 1 they send you on a mission, because Cabbot is a dill-hole, to the most dangerous place in the Wasteland. Good luck there. In Fallout 2, the BoS is mostly powerless.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Rappaport posted:

No. In Fallout 1 they send you on a mission, because Cabbot is a dill-hole, to the most dangerous place in the Wasteland. Good luck there. In Fallout 2, the BoS is mostly powerless.

Iirc he sends you to the glow, right?

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Completed the show last night. I didn't like it as much as other goons, but I'm eager to see more. Second half of the season seemed stronger than the first, once some of the plotlines get some progress and resolution.

As for the "Fallout" aspects of the show, I thought this is where they excelled. Production values seemed great, and they handled the balance of B-movie pulp and societal commentary pretty well. Characters were likable and grew more dynamic by the end. From talking to people unacquainted with the games, they didn't feel lost with the corporations or different factions, so it succeeded at world building.

Most of my complaints were about its quality as a TV show. Pacing was pretty uneven, especially in early episodes where hardly anything progressed in an hour of run-time. Dialogue was sometimes clunky, though Goggins could usually salvage his lines.

Then there are a few storytelling aspects that I felt needed more context. Maybe these will get explained in future seasons, or maybe the audience just isn't supposed to think about it much. Like with Moldaver: How did she arrive in present day? Do we assume she was a cryo sealed like the others? Why was there a half naked cult of personality built around her?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It was extremely Westworld-like in that regard. A first half of the season that's mostly worldbuilding and then an acceleration of plot towards the end. And classic Nolan Brothers playing with parallel timelines to reveal information.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
That's a good point. I guess those stories work better for me when they're movies instead of TV shows. You get some narrative closure within 3 hours of a movie, instead of getting it towards the tail end of a season that required multiple sittings to get through.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Dawgstar posted:

Yep.

They are insular fascists, I don't think altruism was a good fit.

But they've also got a vertical hierarchy, so they can pretty easily change the mission decade to decade

Eason the Fifth posted:

Yup. Actually made it all the way to the bottom in my playthrough... was a dumbass when I played it back in '99 and couldn't figure out the cards and kept getting hosed up by the security measures

So many cool documents at the bottom of that facility

BrotherJayne fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 23, 2024

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Eason the Fifth posted:

As a joke no less, one that is heavily implied he's sent several others to their doom too.

Ashheap Empire
Jul 22, 2000

Kings taste terrible at best
and rest in peace raw
The rest are recipes
*CAAAWWWW*
Maybe I'm late saying this, but Micheal Rappaport was actually perfect casting for the BoS knight, I hated that fucker immediately.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The Brotherhood never dominated the wasteland. They certainly were the closest to having fully functioning old world tech but not the ability to produce them from the ground up. It was largely about recovery and salvage. In FO1 they straight up send you on a fruitless mission to the Glow so you'd either die or gently caress off. In FO2 they're basically just using you to do their dirty work because they have no assets in the region.

I didn't like the NCR getting taken down because I enjoyed the transition from 1 to 2 to NV. However, it does echo the return of civilization as we know it today and in the Fallout setting. It's a society with all its ugly faults. Obviously if nothing changes you're going to see the NCR repeat a lot of errors of the old world and even in 2 and NV we see that happening. The problem as I see it is that this massive status quo change done for the sake of Fallout TV wasn't done for exploring anything. Why not just nuke the capital of the Boneyard which would no doubt lead to similar local collapse, while the NCR is totally looking to colonize new land in the Mojave and cannot devote resources to reestablishing itself in the now-lawless Boneyard?.

BrotherJayne posted:

It's more that Americans can't help but think that the guys with cool military poo poo are also the good guys. It doesn't help that Bethesda game design means that you can help the Brotherhood do bad poo poo and then completely divorce yourself from it with no consequences. Committing to any faction barely matters.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

The writers, the showrunners, Todd himself have confirmed that the NCR is not gone, like at all

Why do people keep saying this

Some of y'all are way too personally invested in the fate of a fictional Post Nuclear War "Democracy" that was literally having the exact same issues as the first Government it was trying to replace

Like the point of Lonesome Road/ NCR questline in New Vegas is to show they have a lot more issues than they acknowledge, hell even their own people point this out. NV goes out of its way with outright saying neither the NCR or the Legion are the right answer to the wastelands problems.

Also the show never remotely says the NCR is gone, just lost control of the Shady Sands area

It's a narrative angle they wanted to explore, it does not besmurdge the honor of the Great Two Headed Bear

It's like getting very mad the Empire signed a Treaty with the Thalmor in Skyrim, holy poo poo

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 24, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I'm more annoyed at the suggestion that having the NCR around is bad for storytelling because a busted rear end democracy is either too boring, depressingly close to real life, or that having them around and showing a more tamed wasteland means I want to watch a lawsuit between feuding cattle barons. I think it would be neat if they did continue to have a strong presence elsewhere in the wasteland and that we actually get to see what the NCR has done in their home territories rather than hear about it via New Vegas or only see a brief flashback and then the aftermath of a nuke in the show.

I don't mind the NCR getting nuked, I like the show and I like that option in Lonesome Road. I think it's dumb that Shady Sands is in the wrong location but whatever, they could have done all of SoCal but they chose LA only and it doesn't make a big difference. I do want to see them show up again in the future rather than Moldaver's LA holdouts being the last they appear in the story.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 24, 2024

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

TulliusCicero posted:

The writers, the showrunners, Todd himself have confirmed that the NCR is not gone, like at all

Why do people keep saying this

Some of y'all are way too personally invested in the fate of a fictional Post Nuclear War "Democracy" that was literally having the exact same issues as the first Government it was trying to replace

Like the point of Lonesome Road/ NCR questline in New Vegas is to show they have a lot more issues than they acknowledge, hell even their own people point this out. NV goes out of its way with outright saying neither the NCR or the Legion are the right answer to the wastelands problems.

Also the show never remotely says the NCR is gone, just lost control of the Shady Sands area

It's a narrative angle they wanted to explore, it does not besmurdge the honor of the Great Two Headed Bear

It's like getting very mad the Empire signed a Treaty with the Thalmor in Skyrim, holy poo poo

It's not gone but losing both Shady Sands and the Boneyard is going to be a major blow. That's two of its oldest provinces right there. There's also wider implications because the devil's in the details.

The Hub would be on the way to Shady Sands from the Boneyard. Now, we can easily assume they didn't travel on a straight line with all the meandering and wandering they did. But it's heavily implied that they simply did not encounter any NCR between the Boneyard and Shady Sands. The state of civilization also doesn't mean all the intermediate space is filled out. The imagined big blob of NCR on a map doesn't mean every kilometer of territory is filled with NCR citizens.

But it sure as hell feels weird that there's a whole NCR province next to the Boneyard and that they basically encounter no remnants or pockets of the NCR save for the observatory. And other than Shady Sands, the few areas they visit in the show that are explicitly anywhere are around the Boneyard. A journey all the way to Shady Sands and back feels like a big stretch going by the show. Even ignoring that, it goes beyond my suspension of disbelief knowing what I do from the Fallout games and universe to say that only Shady Sands was nuked but both the Boneyard and Shady Sands are no longer NCR territory, yet there's the Hub not too far from the Boneyard and they made the journey (however direct or indirect) from somewhere in the Boneyard to Shady Sands without encountering any NCR.

Obviously a map from FO1 isn't going to be entirely accurate. The red dot is my estimation for the location of the Santa Monica pier, while the teal would be my estimation for the observatory.

The location of Shady Sands just throws the whole thing completely out of whack here for me. They could've just said the Boneyard got nuked and then all my problems with things go away.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
You're overthinking it. They didn't travel all the way out to Shady Sands where it is on the map. Shady Sands in the show is within the Boneyard, not way up northeast. They could have used Adytum or whatever other towns are in the LA region but they wanted to blow up Shady Sands specifically while keeping most of the Wasteland action around Greater LA itself. Easier to move the capital down to LA for the show than to try and manage the other established communities along the way from south to north.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 24, 2024

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Arc Hammer posted:

You're overthinking it. They didn't travel all the way out to Shady Sands where it is on the map. Shady Sands in the show is within the Boneyard, not way up northeast. They could have used Adytum or whatever other towns are in the LA region but they wanted to blow up Shady Sands specifically while keeping most of the Wasteland action around Greater LA itself.

I am. And I hate it. This is the problem with nerds. There'd be absolutely no problem with just nuking the Boneyard, but nobody knows what the Boneyard is if you haven't played FO1. I mean, it'd still grab some attention by saying that the NCR province basically disintegrated but shrug.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The name of the town that got nuked could have been Squibbledy-Bib, it doesn’t matter. All that matters is that Lucy’s mom found refuge at a place, Maximus was from there, and it got nuked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's probably best to see Fallout 1/2 as being the TOS era of the universe. There's canon in there, but it's really old, and it's from before the stuff that most people these days would know about. So they will take things from the first two games but maybe change things around a bit to fit better.