Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BrotherJayne posted:

he's grows plenty bold out of sight... is there a single instance of him standing up to a present authority?

Bruh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

:pusheen:

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

BrotherJayne posted:

when he literally snuck off while Betty was occupied? Or something else

him unravelling the mystery is him explicitly standing up to authority. Instead of a messy drama that would get him marked for death he goes and solves why the vault is structured the way it is.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I'd think it'd be assumed that Vault 32 would have been wrecked to some degree by any 'raiders' that got in, so there would have to be clean up. However I don't think, personally, that there is a goon squad of 33'ers that are unquestioning in their loyalty that they'd clean up 'kill the managers' without wondering what it meant. I also wouldn't think that Bud's Buds would be willing to do the literal dirty work themselves - that's not within the general belief of what a corporate manager is willing to do

It's also strange that 'untouched' Vault Dwellers would have any idea of what a 'raider' could be. They seem to think that the topside is both 'uninhabitable' and containing barbarian hordes.

In Fallout 1, you don't have any idea of 'raiders' until you come across a settlement that complains of them and the economic niche they inhabit in the post-apocalyptic economy. (The selling of slaves, etc) But Lucy and co appear to have some idea of their existence and assumptions about their intent.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I’ve only played fallout 1, so I’m basically a non-gamer watcher, and while the show was pretty good it suffers from something I’ve seen in a lot of video game adaptations, where key elements from the game are more or less assumed to already be understood.

I liked the brotherhood a lot, it was VERY 40k and probably the best depiction of power armor I’ve seen on the screen yet. I didn’t quite get what they were all about though. Is it just the remnants of the us army that have now turned to monasticism for some reason? What’s in it for them? Don’t they need a gothic cyber-cathedral instead of lovely disused barrack sets? I’d have liked to have seen more there.

Yeah, that was pretty much it. iirc the Brotherhood started out within a few years of WWIII, as a surviving army unit. Following the utter destruction caused by the war, that unit's commander decided society at large couldn't be trusted to use advanced technology safely, so they made it their mission to locate and collect surviving pre-war tech and keep it out of the hands of anyone who might cause a WW4 (which is to say, keep it almost exclusively in the hands of the brotherhood). They gradually devolved into their techno medieval state over the centuries since the war.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

LashLightning posted:

I'd think it'd be assumed that Vault 32 would have been wrecked to some degree by any 'raiders' that got in, so there would have to be clean up. However I don't think, personally, that there is a goon squad of 33'ers that are unquestioning in their loyalty that they'd clean up 'kill the managers' without wondering what it meant. I also wouldn't think that Bud's Buds would be willing to do the literal dirty work themselves - that's not within the general belief of what a corporate manager is willing to do

Ah, but the show in the very first episode (although you don't quite realise it at the time) established that Bud's Buds are actually very willing to get their hands dirty.

e: the show really sold me on the BoS basically being a couple of hundred years and a setback or two away from being 40k tech priests.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Apr 25, 2024

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I figured because he was on the council he was privy to some information the others were, but yea it was just him not wanting change. Though didn't the tall guy that looks like my dad not want the raiders integrated? Like he was ride or die for 31, but he got transferred to 32 and was happy about it.

Also now I think about it, Steph going to Chet, was that just due to him being the lone tall handsome man in the vault, or a calculated move by the 31ers to distract him from Norm and his investigation. When that didn't work, they split them up permanently.

I wonder if showing the brotherhood guys with assault rifles and not their normal miniguns, gattling lasers and other heavy weapons was a choice to show that maybe they don't have the resources they used to? They have the power armor suits yes, but they're limited on what they can gear them up with. Like the whole point of power armor was to basically make each individual soldier a tank, and part of that was them being able to use weapons not normally usable my infantry.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I imagine that was more a matter of limitations of physical production. Not that it can't be done, but since the hands of the power armor costume are puppeted and have weak grip strength they can't actually hold and operate the weapons they are given, instead they're pegged into place. It puts a bit of a limit onto how heavy you can make a prop be, especially a large one that will get a lot of attention. There are tricks you can do to make things thst are light and hollow look more weighty and real, but maybe it didnt look good in test footage.The fo4 assault rifle reads as a big powerful machine gun that they can post process fire effects onto without needing to add a lot of weight or mechanics to make barrels spin or anything, and even then in shots you can tell how light and unconnected the props are.

The actors hands are really hiding somewhere in the forearm.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Apr 25, 2024

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

I figured because he was on the council he was privy to some information the others were, but yea it was just him not wanting change. Though didn't the tall guy that looks like my dad not want the raiders integrated? Like he was ride or die for 31, but he got transferred to 32 and was happy about it.

Also now I think about it, Steph going to Chet, was that just due to him being the lone tall handsome man in the vault, or a calculated move by the 31ers to distract him from Norm and his investigation. When that didn't work, they split them up permanently.

I wonder if showing the brotherhood guys with assault rifles and not their normal miniguns, gattling lasers and other heavy weapons was a choice to show that maybe they don't have the resources they used to? They have the power armor suits yes, but they're limited on what they can gear them up with. Like the whole point of power armor was to basically make each individual soldier a tank, and part of that was them being able to use weapons not normally usable my infantry.

Steph hooks up with Chet before Chet and Norm have actually done anything.

I think the seed that was planted there was that the 33'ers don't see the regular vault dwellers as real people with any agency - Chet isn't given a choice to be in a relationship with Steph, he just has to accept that that's his life now.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Hah, well lesson learned about live posting. Subversion of that cliche was indeed charming, but idk. It's like the scene where a farmer(?) comes home to see Walter Goggins eating meat and asks where his daughter is. It's not just shot but also edited over the top to imply he ate the girl, but then she comes out and he goes "tsk tsk, can you imagine."

It wasn't a surprise, so it felt like filling space for the sake of a cheap thrill.

It's drawing heavily on a scene from The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly - it works by evoking pop culture to shape your expectations of where it's going.

Which is extremely on brand for Fallout. You'll often find characters, situations, or quest chains referencing (or parodying) pop culture to add a meta level to the play experience.

...Which just can't land if the player/viewer isn't familiar enough with the source material. Which is also Fallout games as hell.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

quote:

He's congratulating her on how quickly she pulled the coverup on the vault being filled with corpses. She knows that he and Chet went into the vault, and he knows that she knows, so he took the chance to poke at her. He didn't have to witness her handing out mops and paint buckets to know that she was at least partially responsible for that horror show getting literally painted over (the paint is still wet!).

BrotherJayne posted:

Seems a bad read, given that Norm is generally cowardly in the face of authority. Doubt he'd be playing coy like that.

No, I think that's pretty much it. His new position interview showed he isn't afraid to needle authority as well.

twistedmentat posted:

Well they still have a giant airship and a shitload of vertibirds

Arc Light posted:

Yeah, that was pretty much it. iirc the Brotherhood started out within a few years of WWIII, as a surviving army unit. Following the utter destruction caused by the war, that unit's commander decided society at large couldn't be trusted to use advanced technology safely, so they made it their mission to locate and collect surviving pre-war tech and keep it out of the hands of anyone who might cause a WW4 (which is to say, keep it almost exclusively in the hands of the brotherhood). They gradually devolved into their techno medieval state over the centuries since the war.

According to themselves, the brotherhood was founded shortly before the bombs dropped

hawowanlawow fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Apr 25, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

LashLightning posted:

It's also strange that 'untouched' Vault Dwellers would have any idea of what a 'raider' could be. They seem to think that the topside is both 'uninhabitable' and containing barbarian hordes.

In Fallout 1, you don't have any idea of 'raiders' until you come across a settlement that complains of them and the economic niche they inhabit in the post-apocalyptic economy. (The selling of slaves, etc) But Lucy and co appear to have some idea of their existence and assumptions about their intent.

Part of the Vault-Tec SPECIAL training videos that play before the main menu of Fallout 4 include handy notes on dealing with surface threats. Presumably this also includes raiders, since Vault-Tec wants to sell their residents on being prepared for the future.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

They had gun training in the first 5 minutes of the show, with automatics I'm pretty sure

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I think the question is about Raiders, not guns per-se.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The guns are just for funsies.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/FalloutFanArt/status/1783490742255485182?t=yhTKGOYtxyp_-fZngsnLrA&s=19

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

moths posted:

The guns are just for funsies.

Why would you do this and not call them gunsies

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ilmucche posted:

They had gun training in the first 5 minutes of the show, with automatics I'm pretty sure

I thought it was funny that the opening scene is literally Lucy laying out her character sheet.

Also, good interview with Ella Purnell

quote:

The response to Lucy, and your performance, has been so strong. How does that feel?

It was definitely something that I was curious about, people’s reactions to her. I’ve been surprised in the past. In Army of the Dead, everybody loving hated my character, because they blamed her for everybody getting killed. But I was surprised by how much people just hated me as a person, because my character made these bad choices. But actually, the fact that you can’t distinguish me from my character, and you feel that passionately, to go on my page and write horrible things, it’s actually kind of a compliment. You’re inadvertently telling me I’m a great actress. I’ll take it.

So with Lucy, I learned not to predict [the] reaction to your character. Just do the work, and don’t spend so much time obsessing over whether people are going to like the work or not. And somehow, thank God, it worked in my favour. I was a bit conscious of Lucy coming across as annoyingly optimistic, or her privilege being too unbearable to look at in contrast to the wasteland.

Imagine getting that exercised over Army of the Dead

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

As for how Vault 32 was cleaned out, I'm going with Vault 31 having more Mr. Handy robots than we saw, and either Overseer deployed them offscreen to take care of it.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

zoux posted:

I thought it was funny that the opening scene is literally Lucy laying out her character sheet.

Also, good interview with Ella Purnell

Imagine getting that exercised over Army of the Dead

Dang. That movie was pretty bad (if Fallout squanders some of it's potential, Army of the Dead actively pisses on it), but taking it out on the cast is... very dumb. There probably was some extra attention from bad people on that one from D'Elia being replaced by Tig Notaro post-filming, an expensive and good choice.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Arc Hammer posted:

Part of the Vault-Tec SPECIAL training videos that play before the main menu of Fallout 4 include handy notes on dealing with surface threats. Presumably this also includes raiders, since Vault-Tec wants to sell their residents on being prepared for the future.

I don't think those are in-universe videos. They're very accurate about Commonwealth super mutants for media produced 50+ years before the first one was created at that military base in California by Richard Grey/The Master, let alone 150-ish before the Institute thought it was a good idea to experiment with their sample of FEV. Those videos seem more aimed at the actual players of the computer game.

Another note, the irony of Hank MacLean's justification of "the only way to stop the factions fighting each other is if OUR faction fights them all real good!" and how the obvious stupidity of this isn't immediately pointed out by anyone with two brain cells to rub together.

I wasn't keen on Lucy's 'shut down' during that time, and Maximus being knocked out. Just all these characters being 'switched off' so that a predetermined event can happen without their input - or the writers had difficulty to figure out what three main characters could do at the same time that wasn't a repeat of Philly, so decided to make it a Cooper Howard scene with Lucy BSOD'ing nearby and Max taking a nap. Although others have pointed out Max's falling/failing upwards the BoS organisational ladder as an interesting character arc, so being declared a war hero when he barely survived (and probably shouldn't be allowed to go to sleep until he's had medical attention!) is par for the course.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

LashLightning posted:

I don't think those are in-universe videos. They're very accurate about Commonwealth super mutants for media produced 50+ years before the first one was created at that military base in California by Richard Grey/The Master, let alone 150-ish before the Institute thought it was a good idea to experiment with their sample of FEV. Those videos seem more aimed at the actual players of the computer game.

Another note, the irony of Hank MacLean's justification of "the only way to stop the factions fighting each other is if OUR faction fights them all real good!" and how the obvious stupidity of this isn't immediately pointed out by anyone with two brain cells to rub together.

I wasn't keen on Lucy's 'shut down' during that time, and Maximus being knocked out. Just all these characters being 'switched off' so that a predetermined event can happen without their input - or the writers had difficulty to figure out what three main characters could do at the same time that wasn't a repeat of Philly, so decided to make it a Cooper Howard scene with Lucy BSOD'ing nearby and Max taking a nap. Although others have pointed out Max's falling/failing upwards the BoS organisational ladder as an interesting character arc, so being declared a war hero when he barely survived (and probably shouldn't be allowed to go to sleep until he's had medical attention!) is par for the course.

I think I would have enjoyed Max coming to an actual decision about what he wanted at the end of his arc thought instead of still being pulled along by outside events at the end of the season. Just be nice to speculate on where he'd go from there.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

LashLightning posted:

It's not that the surface is uninhabitable, it's that it isn't safe yet. Hank says that it should be safe enough when his grandchildren are adults.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

I think I would have enjoyed Max coming to an actual decision about what he wanted at the end of his arc thought instead of still being pulled along by outside events at the end of the season. Just be nice to speculate on where he'd go from there.

"He died running" was a fantastic line well delivered. Perfect moment for Maximus.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

moths posted:

It's drawing heavily on a scene from The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly - it works by evoking pop culture to shape your expectations of where it's going.

Which is extremely on brand for Fallout. You'll often find characters, situations, or quest chains referencing (or parodying) pop culture to add a meta level to the play experience.

...Which just can't land if the player/viewer isn't familiar enough with the source material. Which is also Fallout games as hell.

I made the connection to the same scene, then spent too long trying to figure out how thoroughly you could tie the show to the movie as a whole.

My conclusion was no, they didn't go out of their way to do any of that outside that scene, aside from the existence of 3 main characters who use guns a lot, and one of them is good while another is ugly.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, if they decide to do Power Armor in a 40k series, they have a starting place. Though 40k power armor is meant to be much more fluid and natural

In 40K power armor is an older technology than iron tools are to us. They're had a lot of practice.

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

Did I hear yall say Shady Sands was said to blow up in 2077?

I didn't notice until rewatching ep 4 That's when vault 33 was quarantined and no one could be together at the farm. So was that Hank making sure no one could piece together he was headed out of the vault for a bit?

Also I love this show, but after rewatching the first ep again I'm thoroughly confused at what Muldava is doing. Even assuming she's only hired these raiders with the promise of raiding (Inc rape and murder) you still see her with more well trained soldiers cruising through the halls with purpose during the madness. Was she looking for Hank? If so why not grab him when they met at the entrance. If it's the artifact, OK but why take Hank then at the end? Why give him a hostage situation decision of picking the vaulters or Lucy and then do nothing to either but cave in a single tunnel?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 26 days!)

in retrospect the behaviour in vault 33 of moldaver and the people she chose to use to abduct hank doesn't make a whole lot of sense really. but she doesn't get much development as a character at all so there's room to fill in the gaps, but it requires being charitable.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Seems pretty likely we will get more of the past in season 2 so maybe some more expansion on that considering how important Shady Sands is to all of the characters. But also fallout 3 and 4 have antagonists with real paper thin motivations so let's call it a loving homage to the source materials.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Faucet Drinker posted:

Did I hear yall say Shady Sands was said to blow up in 2077?

I didn't notice until rewatching ep 4 That's when vault 33 was quarantined and no one could be together at the farm. So was that Hank making sure no one could piece together he was headed out of the vault for a bit?

Also I love this show, but after rewatching the first ep again I'm thoroughly confused at what Muldava is doing. Even assuming she's only hired these raiders with the promise of raiding (Inc rape and murder) you still see her with more well trained soldiers cruising through the halls with purpose during the madness. Was she looking for Hank? If so why not grab him when they met at the entrance. If it's the artifact, OK but why take Hank then at the end? Why give him a hostage situation decision of picking the vaulters or Lucy and then do nothing to either but cave in a single tunnel?

Get some food and shelter for a bit before heading back out into the Wastelands? I agree, though, doesn't make a ton of sense, except to set up the reveal in the first episode. As for why she took Hank, she needed a Vault-Tec manager to unlock the cold fusion mumbo jumbo thing.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Seems pretty likely we will get more of the past in season 2 so maybe some more expansion on that considering how important Shady Sands is to all of the characters. But also fallout 3 and 4 have antagonists with real paper thin motivations so let's call it a loving homage to the source materials.

The master is a mad scientist that makes orcs to terrorize the people. None of the fallouts have stories where the bad guy is depression or anything.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Tankbuster posted:

The master is a mad scientist that makes orcs to terrorize the people. None of the fallouts have stories where the bad guy is depression or anything.

You can give him depression. Does that count?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Tankbuster posted:

seems like a pretty solid motivation to me

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yeah its fine. The games are adventures after all and having a cool bad guy at the end is important. The show chose to put Agent Cooper in Power Armor.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Give goggins power armor.

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Get some food and shelter for a bit before heading back out into the Wastelands? I agree, though, doesn't make a ton of sense, except to set up the reveal in the first episode. As for why she took Hank, she needed a Vault-Tec manager to unlock the cold fusion mumbo jumbo thing.

Oh yeah her taking Hank makes sense, and presumably was her only goal --maybe she was also checking to see of Hank somehow got his hands on it? None of this helps my confusion with the hostage situation that didn't involve either of the proposed options (them or her)

My disbelief is easily suspended so it's not an issue, but I was really hoping a rewatch was going to help and not raise even further questions
I'm

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Faucet Drinker posted:

Oh yeah her taking Hank makes sense, and presumably was her only goal --maybe she was also checking to see of Hank somehow got his hands on it? None of this helps my confusion with the hostage situation that didn't involve either of the proposed options (them or her)

My disbelief is easily suspended so it's not an issue, but I was really hoping a rewatch was going to help and not raise even further questions
I'm

Yeah the hostage situation doesn't really make sense. My only thinking is that she didn't expect Hank to lock Lucy in a room, and when he did, she basically rolled her eyes and said, "Fine" and moved on. But that's not particularly satisfying.

Or maybe she thought the bomb would kill them, but then why give them the warning? Eh, whatever.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Agent Cooper didn't even grind BoS quests to use the power armor. Immersion: ruined.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Master is actually the best because he mostly perfected the Super Mutant FEV strains and made smart Mutants rather than unfiltered West-Tek and Institute dum dum Orcs.

Shame about the sterility and schizophrenia though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Vault Dweller: "you're so dumb. you made a race of super men but forgot to make them able to gently caress? you're SO DUMB"
Master: "no. no. this cannot. be. BE. possible. you lie! LIE!"
Vault Dweller: "haw haw it's true, you fuckin idiot! also you look like playdoh. gently caress off!"
Master: * kills self *