Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

Shame about the sterility and schizophrenia though.

Stealth-boys: Not even once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

The Master was the best because his entire plan was to just dip people in bug tubs of green goo.

Pure pulp, no daddy issues or Hegel quotes necessary.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Maximus is the character who hits the un-failable backstops that let you progress in the main quest even when you keep loving everything up and failing every speech/skill check. He would definitely end up working for Yes Man or the Minutemen in those games.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Something that cracks me up is the ghoul theme sounds like it's sung by Goggins. Its like he's singing his own theme song lmao

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Maximus is the character who hits the un-failable backstops that let you progress in the main quest even when you keep loving everything up and failing every speech/skill check. He would definitely end up working for Yes Man or the Minutemen in those games.
He did pretty well on the bridge.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

He did pretty well on the bridge.

[Speech 11/25] Convince Lucy to give you her gun.
FAILED

[Sneak 7/50] Slip past the other group.
FAILED

[Survival 13/30] Find an alternate route across the river.
FAILED

[Charisma 2/5] Intimidate the other group into backing down.
FAILED

"Shoot the other people" is pretty much always the default solution of last resort.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

zoux posted:

I thought it was funny that the opening scene is literally Lucy laying out her character sheet.

Also, good interview with Ella Purnell

Imagine getting that exercised over Army of the Dead

I'm curious how people are going to like her in the other show she's doing Sweetpea, because i'm listening to the Audiobook and i'm not sure they can pull the book off as a show and have people like it.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

thrawn527 posted:

As for how Vault 32 was cleaned out, I'm going with Vault 31 having more Mr. Handy robots than we saw, and either Overseer deployed them offscreen to take care of it.

I think they probably have a crew in 31 who wakes up and cleans out vault 32 periodically and goes back to sleep, since it seems like vault 32 is designed to "fail" regularly

also re: Cooper and his daughter i'm guessing the daughter at the cowboy performance/birthday party is a synth

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Vampire Panties posted:

I think they probably have a crew in 31 who wakes up and cleans out vault 32 periodically and goes back to sleep, since it seems like vault 32 is designed to "fail" regularly

also re: Cooper and his daughter i'm guessing the daughter at the cowboy performance/birthday party is a synth

I could see that they gave a free spot to freeze their favorite maintenance/janitorial staff, and just said occasionally you'll be unfrozen and have to do some manual labor as we decide, until you get unfrozen permanently and we're ready to rebuild society. It's just waking up, cleaning up bodies and going back to sleep only to be woken up again, seemingly no time has passed and they clean up another set of bodies. They ask what year is it, and number just goes up.

Sorry but what are we spoilering, here, again?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Arglebargle III posted:

In 40K power armor is an older technology than iron tools are to us. They're had a lot of practice.

Plus doesn't 40K armor directly link to the nervous system? It's more like cybernetics integrated into the marine instead of a human-shaped vehicle you pilot.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
“How do we avoid spoilers?”

“By dropping the spoiler tags ourselves”

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Grand Fromage posted:

Plus doesn't 40K armor directly link to the nervous system? It's more like cybernetics integrated into the marine instead of a human-shaped vehicle you pilot.

Sorta. The black carapace is a subdermal implant in a space marine that is connected to the nervous system. Then the marine puts on a body suit and then the armor is applied on top of that. There are plugs that connect through the undersuit into the black carapace which the gives the marine full use of the power armour.

There's other power armor variants like Sisters of Battle power armor or Inquisitors who use Artificier armor which are very strong but more like vehicles than nervous system uplinks.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Vampire Panties posted:

uhh I really don't think the death of the entirety of vault 32 is a normal occurence.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I wonder if that shot was intentionally framed to evoke the Fallout 1/2 talking heads.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

It really depends. 40K is allergic to consistency. As it should be, since it's a future-medieval setting where nothing is standardized.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yeah, vault 32 was one of the other genetic repository. Bud was playing crusader kings 3 in the post apocalypse.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Tankbuster posted:

yeah, vault 32 was one of the other genetic repository. Bud was playing crusader kings 3 in the post apocalypse.
I think I’d die living as a brain on roomba in seclusion for 200 years. I wonder if it’ll be revealed whether he chose this fate.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Vegetable posted:

I think I’d die living as a brain on roomba in seclusion for 200 years. I wonder if it’ll be revealed whether he chose this fate.

I don't think he can die. His chipper attitude after 200 years is impressive

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Society has collapsed and people are living and dying over fuckin coca cola bottle caps and you're telling me the fatter, shittier version of the fuckin Osprey, the least reliable, most maintenance heavy aircraft ever created by humans, is still a functioning method of air travel and the primary mode of transportation for a paramilitary group frequently loading it up with multiple suits of cast iron armor?

Immersion ruined. You'll pay for this, Todd Howard.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Vegetable posted:

He's a junior executive, as long as the boss is happy and the investors are seeing a good roi he probably cut his own skull open.

Also re spoiler usage, tviv rule of thumb is a week for full drop shows so don't feel obligated to use them if you don't want to. Some people still do out of habit but it's not required at this point.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Apr 26, 2024

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So one thing that bothered me unnecessarily was how vault 4 found and moved the power armor so fast, but then I thought about something about vault 4 that bothered me more.

Where did vault 4 get the caviar?

WHERE DID VAULT 4 GET THE CAVIAR?!?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It seems like you already know where

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Pleads posted:

Society has collapsed and people are living and dying over fuckin coca cola bottle caps and you're telling me the fatter, shittier version of the fuckin Osprey, the least reliable, most maintenance heavy aircraft ever created by humans, is still a functioning method of air travel and the primary mode of transportation for a paramilitary group frequently loading it up with multiple suits of cast iron armor?

They should have used Bear Force One, agreed.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So one thing that bothered me unnecessarily was how vault 4 found and moved the power armor so fast, but then I thought about something about vault 4 that bothered me more.

Where did vault 4 get the caviar?

WHERE DID VAULT 4 GET THE CAVIAR?!?

I was wondering that too before the reveal of what was on level 12 and my head canon is that Vault 4's gimmick is that it's about 2% actual living space, and 98% long term storage. Just miles and miles of warehouse with enough caviar and nuka-cola to last for thousands of years.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

esquilax posted:

The Master was the best because his entire plan was to just dip people in bug tubs of green goo.

Pure pulp, no daddy issues or Hegel quotes necessary.

Doesn't one of the Fallout 4 loading screen blurbs or whatever state that the Super Mutants consider themselves better suited for life in the wasteland than humans? I can sorta see their point.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Rappaport posted:

Doesn't one of the Fallout 4 loading screen blurbs or whatever state that the Super Mutants consider themselves better suited for life in the wasteland than humans? I can sorta see their point.

That was the intent of West-Tek's initial research into FEV: build a better soldier that can survive a radioactive wasteland in the event of nuclear war.

The trouble was that the original strains of FEV used to make Super Mutants also had the side effect of causing severe brain damage, or very brief moments of Flowers for Algernon-style intelligence before falling off the deep end into stupidity. So most Super Mutants are big, green, and dumb. These are the ones you see around Boston, DC, and Appalachia.

In California it's a bit different. When the man who became The Master fell into the goo pit, he mutated into something else entirely and became extremely intelligent, and he used this intelligence to work through the flaws in FEV and built a better mutant. One that was bigger, stronger and most importantly, smarter than (most) humans. These First Generation Mutants are pretty rare in the modern day wasteland and tend to stick to themselves.

Then the Enclave showed up and enslaved people, putting them to work digging out the old base where the Master's FEV vats had been located. These people were also exposed to FEV but unlike the ones tweaked by the Master, they were made by accident and ended up being rather dumb. Certain 1st Gen Mutants refer to them as Dum-Dums.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Arc Hammer posted:

They should have used Bear Force One, agreed.

?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twQlpFrm5iM

e: oops forgot there's some strobing in the back half of the video just in case

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 26, 2024

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Pleads posted:

you ever shot at one ingame?

Arc Hammer posted:

That was the intent of West-Tek's initial research into FEV: build a better soldier that can survive a radioactive wasteland in the event of nuclear war.

The trouble was that the original strains of FEV used to make Super Mutants also had the side effect of causing severe brain damage, or very brief moments of Flowers for Algernon-style intelligence before falling off the deep end into stupidity. So most Super Mutants are big, green, and dumb. These are the ones you see around Boston, DC, and Appalachia.

In California it's a bit different. When the man who became The Master fell into the goo pit, he mutated into something else entirely and became extremely intelligent, and he used this intelligence to work through the flaws in FEV and built a better mutant. One that was bigger, stronger and most importantly, smarter than (most) humans. These First Generation Mutants are pretty rare in the modern day wasteland and tend to stick to themselves.

Then the Enclave showed up and enslaved people, putting them to work digging out the old base where the Master's FEV vats had been located. These people were also exposed to FEV but unlike the ones tweaked by the Master, they were made by accident and ended up being rather dumb. Certain 1st Gen Mutants refer to them as Dum-Dums.

and the Institute in fallout 4 used the FEV like a gene editing tool to actually create better humans adapted to the post apocalypse and used them as slaves.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Well that's a thing of beauty that I need to put in my favourites tab.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

As depicted, the Master (Master! Master) is a symbiosis of multiple people, even though I guess Richard Grey is still the main persona.

In the original games, we don't meet that many Super Mutants. There's Harry who is, well, a bit dim, the Lou Tenant who is quite articulate and smug at you, and then there's Marcus who is clearly intelligent and keeps making sick burns at Myron, baby, Myron.

The entire time-line for the east coast doesn't really make a lick of sense, but you get to shoot at Super Mutants so who cares? But my general point was that the Super Mutants, stupid or not, thrive in the wasteland, whereas a major mechanic of Fallout 4 and whoo boy it's an awful one is trying to keep humans fed and supplied with water.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If only humans could subsist off of big mesh bags full of gore and viscera

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Pleads posted:

Vertibirds are a post war aircraft invented by the Enclave who needed an aircraft that could land vertical because their base was located on an oil rig, yet needed to have a greater range than a helicopter, thus the Vertibird was born.

Beth, for no reason, retcon the Vertibird to be a pre-war aircraft. So now they’re also flying aircraft with 200 years worth of metal fatigue. Have fun with that. :v:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well, just like X-01 Power Armor is a postwar design (don't @ me with how it shows up in Fallout 4) I like to think that the Enclave Vertibird is an improvement on the goofy looking prewar birds the BOS has to settle for.

https://twitter.com/Jonahlobe/status/1783829883539620247?t=2-vJWVzsKoXrOK39Dw91wQ&s=19

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

If only humans could subsist off of big mesh bags full of gore and viscera

rear end jerky ain't gonna make itself, Lucy!

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

SCheeseman posted:

Maybe they have a bunch of Mr Handys stashed somewhere.

I feel like they would have to because there ain't no way that Brain on a Roomba could do basic maintenance without hands.

Tankbuster posted:

him unravelling the mystery is him explicitly standing up to authority. Instead of a messy drama that would get him marked for death he goes and solves why the vault is structured the way it is.

He started out rebellious, just in a different way. Lacks Enthusiasm. He curtails their usual avenues of discipline by just refusing to take part.
"You see the problem. How do you punish someone who is equally disdainful of every job?"

Wingnut Ninja posted:

"Shoot the other people" is pretty much always the default solution of last resort.

I mean, his Int and Cha are obviously pretty low. The guy uses power armor to punch people for Christ's sake. He's the embodiment of "When you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail." He's not going to really think this poo poo through. When it comes to the cannibals on the bridge, that's where his Surface Dweller shows compared to Lucy. He knows there are people who eat other people out there. Lucy can't even conceive of that. Even with that knowledge though, he defers to Lucy as de facto group leader. He would have shot them first were it up to him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Stegosnaurlax posted:

I'm curious how people are going to like her in the other show she's doing Sweetpea, because i'm listening to the Audiobook and i'm not sure they can pull the book off as a show and have people like it.

She also did Jinx in Arcane and was very very good, and that's a high difficulty role to pull off without straying into obnoxiousness

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I haven’t failed any speech moments in the game because I skip through it so I can find more cool weapons and go lootin n shootin

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lol I tried calling the onscreen number from the Vault 4 sales infomercial and I think one of the Vault residents screamed at me.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 26, 2024

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

zoux posted:

She also did Jinx in Arcane and was very very good, and that's a high difficulty role to pull off without straying into obnoxiousness

Between Jinx and Goosey I was a little surprised to find Ella was British.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My initial impression was that Norm poisoned the prisoners but now I'm not so sure. Do you think that's meant to be ambiguous or am I overthinking?