Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I'm still skeptical of the series because Todd Howard is involved and it's really hard to adapt other media to tv series without messing something up.

But hey weirder things have happened and I would be happy if the show got the games some more love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Torquemada posted:

I hoped it was just to answer yes/no questions. "Todd, does this door look right?" that kind of thing.

I sure hope so. I don't hate the guy or anything but his stories always end up extremely bland and samey.

On the other hand you probably shouldn't make an extremely out there story for your first Fallout series, crazy fauna and flora excepted. I'm sure he could handle some basic setup and then whoever the showrunners are can do their own thing once they have the hang of the aesthetics.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The NCR poo poo is legit super dumb, it cut off so many set up points in New Vegas that would have made for excellent stories in the future.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Megazver posted:

They made a big deal during promotion about how this show is definitely canon from now on and how Bethesda has checked and approved all the lore.

So if they did retcon New Vegas for dumb reasons, it doesn't delete your personal copy of New Vegas, sure, but it might gently caress over any future games set in the West Coast.

Like one of the best set up points was that the NCR was becoming the new version of the old government and it was all going to come to a head somehow in the near future. Except not really I guess, now?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Tankbuster posted:

its a rotten corrupt government like NV described.

It would've been so neat to see the community you nurtured in Fallout 1 become the big threat later on (New Vegas didn't quite count even if it got real close)

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

People like the NCR for the same reason people like the Imperial Guard from 40K. In a world of crazies, psychopaths and power armour, regular folks carving out a living and even thriving is nice to see. Watching that idealism turn into imperialism and expansionism in New Vegas is also compelling. How does a good idea led astray affect the people who follow it?

You don't have to like the NCR but considering them generic does a disservice to how much they grow and change over 1,2 and FNV. They're more than a Veteran Ranger Helmet and a two headed bear flag.

War never changes but people do. There will always be conflict as the great leveler but the players change, grow, or die out.

I wanted the NCR to become the defacto villains of a future installment, because they were making all the same mistakes as prewar America. Like the fact that their burgeoning empire was running out of food and clean water because they had grown too greedily was compelling and cool! People were running out of food and supplies before the war, and while the population was greatly decreased there's much less land to actually farm, there's no proper medical factories other than a few chem manufacturers and a lot of the tech people are relying on is breaking down while the already stressed sources of uranium just plum started running out.

All the while the wildlife is still mutating like mad and corruption is rife in the economy, creating internal division and external forces that want a piece of the failing state.

Would have made for a really cool reversal to see the community you protected and nurtured in Fallout 1 become more like the Enclave by the minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Tankbuster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bFBLAbwMA0

Tim Cain talks about the show. Spoilers: he likes it and wants more.

Half of Tim's happiness stems from the fact they actually made a good show based on one of his properties.

The rest was about trying to find all the easter eggs referencing said property that weren't immediately apparent.

Edit: Oh, yeah, I got a friend who almost always sides with House when he replays New Vegas, because he believes it makes logical sense and is the best option for the future of the Wasteland.

Can you tell he works in tech?

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 19, 2024