Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Chamale posted:

I hope they release a Sugar Bombs cereal because I'm definitely going to eat it. I know they're doing a Nuka-Cola promotion with Jones Soda.

Oh, they announced the collector's edition for the TV show already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

twistedmentat posted:

I've said for a while that we've gotten to the point where people who played video games as kids/teens/young adults are old enough to actually have their projects made, so we're going to see video game adaptions that are good. They'll be true to the source material, but not beholden to it. The main thing that gives me hope is the fact that the show is clearly not adapting any of the games stories. There will almost certainly be aspects of them in there, but more in locations and items. Not like we'd see Harold walking around, at least i hope not. But this happens in LA so maybe the Boneyard will be there?

I always felt Fallout had the best chance of being made into a decent movie or show, because the setting is really well fleshed out and you can do a lot with it, without needing to retell the story of the lone wanderer or the chosen one or whomever. Not to mention it is a full on sandbox of a setting, you can do almost any story you want in it, because the games have no problem doing mysteries, horror, action and comedy. Hell you even get aliens and ghosts/monsters because supernatural stuff is part of the series from the start.

I'm going to try cry butterfly tears when, after going by The Ghoul the whole show, Walton Goggins's character says in the last episode "You can call me Harold" and then post credits scene is a little sprout popping up on his head.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Wait, this takes place, canonically, after New Vegas? I assumed it would be an alternate version like they did with Halo.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Maybe they wouldn't have pristine prefabricated new buildings everywhere, but you'd think the debris and actual human skeletons from 200 years ago would get swept away at some point.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Of course in this world at least a third of the human race likes to decorate their living spaces with chunks of rotting corpses and blood so maybe I'm giving them too much credit.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Fallout: I Don't Want to Set the Thread on Fire

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

RBA Starblade posted:

What's the retail price right now on a corvega

$199,999.99

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I enjoyed it overall, a lot better than I was expecting.

Season Spoilers
I think the whole NCR thing is mostly about first impressions. You don't get a single direct reference to game events for a few episodes, and when you finally do, all you do get is a sign that says Shady Sands in front of a giant crater. It absolutely comes off as Todd* wiping the slate clean of pre-Bethesda lore. And a lot of initial complaints were by people hadn't even finished the show yet and that's as far as they thought it went. Turns out that wasn't exactly the case and it's explained a lot more later, but first impressions matter. The overall NCR hateboners from the CSAM posters are as predictable as they are eyeroll worthy. Oh my god, a government has problems with corruption and isn't perfectly equitable? That certainly isn't a thing that effects every single form of government that has ever existed! In that case we'd all be so much better off if it never existed, and anyone who questions deleting it is probably just some idiot stan. Sure. If it wasn't for their wretched corruption and imperialism everyone in California could be living the same blissful life as diaper farmer and his 4 dead tato plants.

Still don't know how Moldaver is still alive 200 years later. Was freezing people a common technology? It seems to be used in a single vault, suggested to also exist in a second vault, and then also this one lady I guess had access to it, but no one else in the world had ever heard of or thought to use it.

Still don't understand how Vault 32 got magically cleaned up overnight. Was it supposed to be the overseer lady and that guy from Severance working all night to completely clean and stock the whole vault?

Still don't understand why the water chip thing came up or was resolved. Moving half the people to the other vault means they'll take twice as long but they're still out of water in 4 months.

I understand what they were going for with Vault 4, but I really hate manufactured drama that could have been avoided if characters acted like normal human beings and just had a frank 20 second discussion instead.

The whole stapling an old rotten finger onto Lucy and it being fine and working normally didn't make any sense to me at all. And was kind of gross. It's one thing for a ghoul to do that, but normal humans?

*I realize that Todd probably isn't personally responsible for every lore and business decision made. He isn't literally going into the writers room and crossing poo poo out of the scripts. But Bethesda insisted on some creative control, and he's kind of the personification of Bethesda, so its easier to just call him out by name.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

roomtone posted:

One world related thing I think they could work on, although it's kinda too late, is that being a ghoul is way too good of a deal right now. You only need to procure what seems to be a fairly plentiful daily dose of a drug which I'm assuming is still being manufactured to some extent since it's 200 years later and a couple of bums have boxes of it lying around.

Do that, and you're immortal, and very hard to kill compared to a normal human - immune to radiation, and can regenerate pretty much any injury including severed body parts. It seems like the only way to kill a ghoul would be to cut off it's head, or something. Cooper shrugs off several bullet wounds in the Filly showdown, and Thadeus instantly regenerates from a fatal neck impalement.

The downsides are only - need the drug or you go crazy, and also you start turning ugly but in the wasteland, who really gives a poo poo?

edit: Like a good downside might be, regardless of the drug, ghouls periodically go insane/cannibalistic and then calm down to their original persona, but remember it all, so end up sort of crazy anyway. So if you're a ghoul there's always say, 25% of the time you're just not in control of your behaviour. Although that's a total rewrite, just an idea.

Ghouls were, originally, actual walking corpses. Yeah you're not going to age but I remember there being some background comments in the first two games about how sometimes your arm will just fall off because its slowly rotting. If you have the means of taking very, very good care of yourself it could potentially be not too bad, but who is able to do that in the wasteland?

The fact that all ghouls will eventually go feral was added by Bestheda, and it was a decent addition I thought.

I was hoping we'd get to see a Glowing One as well, the other possible eventual fate for ghouls. Maybe next season.

Technically there is a third possible fate for a ghoul: A tree sprout could start growing on your head, and it slowly gets bigger as you walk across the country until it gets so big you collapse under the weight and are pinned in place as the tree grows and grows around you and you're stuck there and can't die but the tree makes the entire area around you green and lush and a weirdo cult shows up one day and worships you and the fertile area you've created and ignores your pleas to end your suffering until a vault dweller shows up one day and finally delivers sweet, merciful death.

But that's only happened one time that we know about.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I kind of felt like at the last minute someone crossed out "clean water" mcguffin from the script and replaced it with cold fusion after they realized that clean water access had been used too many times in Fallout already. Even the reactor thing at the end has bubbling water behind it for some reason, and really reminded me of Fallout 3.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Tankbuster posted:

lmao america-brained. Someone finally adapts a setting with love, care and general correct tone and the first response to the raising of dramatic stakes in a different medium is: "Holy poo poo they destroyed my deep example of masterful political drama that analyze the world with, out of pure spite." How is this any different from being buttmad about the prequels introducing midichlorians?

I didn't really binge the show, I watched it over the weekend, but I did make the mistake of binging this thread afterwards and holy poo poo you need to shut the gently caress up already. There are pages of you saying the same tired poo poo. No one cares what you think about New Vegas or the NCR. Just gently caress off already, I don't think there is a single page in this very long thread that you haven't not directly make worse with your whining.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'd imagine not including a map or talking about travel time was a conscious choice made by the show. They didn't want to be beholden to internet nerds checking every episode for accurate travel time, and just want to tell a story.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Arc Hammer posted:

The GOT showrunners felt the same way in Season 8 and it sucked.

Sure it probably is a conscious decision not to include a map but I'd hesitate to suggest that the reason for that is to specifically avoid nerd pedantry about travel times.

Agree to disagree I guess. I think they looked at the end of GoT and said "yeah we don't wanna put up with that." The problem with GoT is it was established early on in the show that these places are far apart and the long travel times were built into the story, so suddenly dropping a major plot point is jarring and dumb. Fallout wants to avoid that from the beginning so it can remain consistent.

I'd imagine that nerds studying the maps and comparing them to game maps to point out any discrepancies is another good reason to avoid it. They had one map in the show, map of North America with the vaults all over it and within a few days it had already been compared to the games and the various vaults in those.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The biggest mystery box in the Fallout TV show is why is that man so loving tiny?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Why would the show lie about that? That is terrible storytelling and there's nothing to indicate the writers are that level of awful hack.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
He looks like he is 30 but the size of like a 12 year old. So maybe they just wanted to split the difference.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So what actually happened at the end of New Vegas was a Dragon Break. So all the endings occurred at once in some sort of timey whimey nonsense. Also the NCR was blowed up a few years before. The Dragon Break did it.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Episode 6 spoilers.

I read the IGN article and just rewatched the blackboard scene. So you have a few different events, each with a short description and a year listed. The last one just says "Fall of Shady Sands" 2277, and then there's an arrow to the mushroom cloud, which lacks any kind of date at all. I guess the "Fall" is vague as poo poo nonsense that wasn't ever clearly mentioned in New Vegas. Some of the events are pretty arbitrary, yet they have a precise date. What exactly is the fall of shady sands, and why can it be accurately traced to 2277 as opposed to 2278 or 2276? The same thing could be said for the NCR becoming the economic powerhouse of the west coast, which they're also able to attribute to a specific year. Both of these things probably took place slowly over a few years. However, nuking the city, an event that has a very, very specific time that it occurred, didn't get a date on the blackboard. It's probably the only thing on the blackboard that they know without any doubt the date of.

The short version is the scene is misleading and vague, either on purpose or through incompetence. Probably on purpose. But if they want to be vague why give interviews a week later clearing things up?

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 17, 2024

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, I know that. But people are acting like the events from the show erase New Vegas from canon.

There's a lot of history and bad blood in the development of the Fallout games. The first two were extremely influential crpgs of the 90s. Later Bethesda bought the rights to the franchise and declared two of the four existing games non-canon, and made Fallout 3 and 4. They mostly left the first two games alone by having theirs take place on the east coast instead of the west, but it still makes the world feel small when all the most recognizable factions from the West coast just so happened to travel all the way across the country for reasons.

In-between 3 and 4, several of the original developers, now working for Obsidian, made Fallout New Vegas (back on the west coast), and it's got a huge cult following, just like 1 and 2. The writing is considered excellent (it is) and old school Fallout Fans love it. Meanwhile Fallout 3 and 4's writing can best be described as "bethesda quality". Rabid Fallout fans believed, and to some degree still believe, that shady dealings from Bethesda screwed Obsidian out of their bonuses for making the game, just to be cheap, and also out of jealousy because New Vegas was so much better than their games. Everyone involved has consistently said this is not the case and there is no bad blood, but internet gonna internet. Either way it might be a small part of why we never got New Vegas 2 and fans will never forgive that.

So now in the show there's a, in my opinion, very vague and unclear scene that suggestions the NCR was wiped out before the events of New Vegas, when the NCR is a major part of the game, implying that New Vegas never happened and is no longer canon. Considering Bethesda's history with non-canonizing games and being less-than-gentle with the lore, some conclusions were jumped to.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Accipiter posted:

The date is not listed because it's either unknown, or unimportant.

The leap of "logic" you're making which insists that every single item on the chalkboard is an individual event, except the last two items are somehow one single event because... reasons, makes no sense.

Again, that's not how timelines or flowcharts work. One event leads to the next, which leads to the next, which leads to the next.

This genuinely is NOT a difficult concept. If you don't understand this, then yeah, the show is aiming well above your level and you should probably find something else to occupy your time.

So in addition to everything else, you also don't understand keyboards. "Typo" is short for "typographical error." As in, hitting a key accidentally. You typed 2077 because you intended to type 2077. That's not a typo.

Holy poo poo are you for real? How did you get your head that far up there? Can you see your tonsils?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

BrotherJayne posted:

lol, pot? Meet kettle

I'll call someone out in extreme cases, like posting pages and pages of the same argument. But going "um, ackshawlly" about the technical definition versus common parlance of typo is a level of pedantic even most veteran goons don't stoop to.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Grand Fromage posted:

then destroyed the Enclave.

I don't know why we bothered. The Enclave has been wiped out multiple times now, for all the good it does.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

xerxus posted:

The simplest explanation for the 2277 "Fall of Shady Sands" thing is just a production error rather than actual malice. They wanted the nuke to be set after the Battle of the Hoover Dam, but copied the date for the wrong battle.

In Universe, there's no reason to draw a flow chart that way, to include the year for an untangible "fall" and then not include a year for the most important thing 4+ years later. It's also poor production design.

Absolutely this. The blackboard scene is the big exposition dump of the show, and the way it's presented makes absolutely no sense. Of course people are confused and no it's not because they were looking at their phones or their whole identity is built around a 14 year old game or whatever the gently caress else you want to blame it on to feel like you're the cooler, smarter tv watcher who watches tv better than everyone else.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It's been a long time since I played Fallout 2, but from what I can remember, it was really just the military industrial complex that were the bad guys. Vault-Tec, various elements of the government, particularly the intelligence agencies, several other companies, were all so intertwined that they might as well have just been one entity. I have no idea how anyone could dream up such an unrealistic concept, something like that could never happen for real! They built the vaults to be social experiments, and then built a tricked out Oil Rig in the middle of the ocean. It did technically pump petroleum up from the last known deposit in the deep pacific, but it also had everything they'd need, heavy industrial facilities, science labs, etc. The Enclave can trace their roots back, in an unbroken line, to the actual US Government.

You blow up their oil rig in Fallout 2, and because the faction is recognizable, they magically cross the country to be badguys again in Fallout 3, where they are once again destroyed. They're still around in the show because it's a thing people recognize.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
In Tactics the BoS end up with deathclaws and ghouls and even supermutants in their ranks. I don't see Maxson taking too kindly to any of them.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Obviously the best thing is to not feature Elon Musk on your TV show. But if you must include a cameo, he should have played himself in that room with all the villainous badguys all sitting around plotting together, with references to his companies and everything. He'd probably walk off set after being told what his role is, which circles back around to the ideal outcome anyways.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Steve Yun posted:

I wonder if he’d play the role and be proud for a month before finding out on twitter that the show was making fun of him

He did unironically use JC Denton as his twitter profile pic for awhile, despite being the most Bob Page motherfucker who has ever lived.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Probably not my favorite gag in the show, but one thing I really loved was cyclops Chris Parnell putting on a normal pair of glasses, and never acknowledging or drawing attention to it.

Most comedians would have hammed it up and drawn such a minor joke out way too long, but such a subtle dumb little thing was the best.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

TulliusCicero posted:

Did anyone else feel Thaddeus's crippled limb walk through the desert, dragging all the gear?

I felt that

The damage people take in this was so over the top comical that it kind of took me out of it, I assume it's all just a reference to the bloody mess perk. Realistically Thaddeus isn't going anywhere on that foot.

Ben Linus' situation was ever more absurd, using that hybrid replacement foot/meat grinder thing to walk on is beyond cartoon levels of violence and its harder to empathize with due to it's absurdity. He would have been passed out by then.

MedX exists but it's never mentioned anyone has any, we don't even see them use stimpacks, despite stimpacks getting used in several other situations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I did appreciate the time honored Bethesda tradition of overloading your companions with all your crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'll never understand the whole sending death threats thing. Such a nonsense thing to do.

I made it through three entire episodes of Cowboy Bebop before giving up, and never once through that nightmarish experience did it ever occur to me to threaten the lives of the people who created that monster.