Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

I kind of detest both Fallout 3 and 4 and this looks to be very much in that mold, at least visually. I still want to give it a go, but my hopes aren't high. It'd be hard to have worse writing than the games, however, and it DOES have Walton Goggins which is a big plus.

Yeah, I just slagged on this in the general fallout thread. IMO it looks cheap to boot and its full of memberberries for the game fans. Like if you'd been in the production meetings and heard the word 'iconic' and took a sip, even with just plain water, you'd died.

BUT, I'll be happy to check it out - Walton Goggins, Kyle Mclachlan are a plus and if nothing else, I can hate watch this it if it turns out to be just content.

Jesus... Amazon's going to make so much money out of the new subscriptions alone just for this series.

edit: the show might be great if they lean into comedy/satire.

Splorange fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Mar 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

I don't really trust Nolan to pull anything interesting out of this, most of what I'm seeing so far is some savvy casting and borrowed glory from the games.

The test is if this manages to put together a compelling plot over the course of its eight episodes, but I gather they're doing one of those things where everyone's already silo'd off into a bunch of separate subplots and that doesn't fill me with much confidence.

The post apocalypse has been done to death already. There's not much novelty to mine. With the FalloutTM baggage the worst thing they can do is take themselves seriously.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Well, watching the first episode of the show made me realize, I don't give a gently caress about FalloutTM and especially not Bethesda's take on it. The game visuals feel intrusive.

Haven't formed an opinion about the show as an independent thing, though it's feeling like content.

Thom12255 posted:

Todd's gonna need private security.

Leave it to gamers to form hate brigades, there's absolute bonkers people with axes to grind with Todd.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

dunno. This is better than Masters of the Air so far.

It's too early for me to say, but subjectively I feel like this would work without the franchise baggage. I would enjoy this more if I knew nothing about FalloutTM.

Probably going to mainline the rest of the episode as soon as I have time. This is competent "film"making - the worst I fear is being jerked around aimlessly until they pull the plug on the show.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Got the second episode watched, this is growing on me. Still would be personally more watchable with all the merch and visual callbacks removed.

Pretty interesting production choice to film the desert/ocean scene in Namibia. Even with a helping of CG, the goddamn wrecks give it away.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

I skipped on some real life responsibilities, one episode left.

It can still poo poo the bed, but I've had a good time with it. The bad is mostly the trash that comes with beth canon, like weird timeline incongruence (eg. ruination and decomposition), don't think too hard about it, it'll be fine. I actually liked the decision to nuke NCR to oblivion. It's competent work and in spite of what I feared from the previews, I feel the tone worked. Casting was good, especially the belgian malinois <3

Maybe they'll bungle season 2, so I can get to do some hate watching?

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

BB2K posted:

I love fallout New vegas and I like this show, it's good and fun and it's not like there's gonna be another good fallout game again anyway

Yeah :same:

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Dr.Smasher posted:

I'm two episodes in and enjoying it so far. The little poo poo like the guy getting blasted by someone with a Junkjet was great

I enjoyed this memberberry too, probably because I think the junkjet concept was one of the genuinely fun and novel ideas in the Beth games and it is too butt ugly to make into merch.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Megazver posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D_C0gNjaiw

EDIT: Apparently forum doesn't want to embed. Tim Cain made a video about the tv show.

I love that Tim tries his best to humanize people and be fair - I have a hard time believing that people are still going after Brian Fargo. Gamers.. never change.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Eat The Rich posted:

My thinking is that if they're trying to retcon FO1/FO2 out of existence, which is an opinion I saw a lot, then they wouldn't make an obvious reference to FO1

After all this time, trying to make sense of fallout canon is a fool's errand, I get the impression the people who made the show cared a lot about the games.

Hell, Bethesda cared about the originals, they wouldn't have continued the franchise otherwise. (The fact that their writing and characters are uneven at best, is just something you have to live with.) Any franchise that's around long enough is going to collect internal inconsistencies and dead ends.

Anywhoo, finished the show and let it sink in for awhile, it's really good - no qualifiers. Kinda looking forward to season 2, though I expect any show with Jonathan Nolan attached is going to crawl up its rear end sooner or later.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

yeah, in retrospect the fallout series deserved to end. Would have been quite the even series with FO1, FO2, Tactics and BOS. What the hell man.

Wasn't my point and apropos nothing, I actually liked Tactics. Chill.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

Last thing is, one of my coworkers has played the games and I was talking to him about it and long story short he said he refused to watch the show "because of Todd Howard" and vaguely mentioned some stuff about the ending of one of the games that "nobody likes." Can someone explain.

edit: beaten, but have my two lovely cents on the matter

Probably referring to the fallout 3 ending, which has the main character unecessarily sacrificing themselves. But, could be anything. Bethesda writing is not very thought-through, it's a feature. Don't let that put you off the games, they are enjoyable even though you have to turn off your brain for some of it. The originals (1 & 2) were not perfect serious works of fiction either, but in their own way.

If someone unironically refers to Todd Howard/Emil Pagliarulo as the single blame for something or other, it's a coin toss whether you end up in crazy town video game discourse. I like to poo poo on bethesda games and their occasionally non-sensical writing or paper thin characters.. or just outrageous merchandizing etc. but I've racked up thousands of hours in them regardless and I fail to see what bullying or threatening beth employees is going to accomplish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

season 2, someone brings out a deck of cards, it ain't Caravan, it's Tragic.