Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My guess on Walton Goggins's character: Him not getting to the Vault is a given. Not getting his daughter to safety and that's why he's a gun-toting druggie hunting Vault Dwellers is likely. But I'm thinking maybe he does get her in the vault, at the cost of his own life (he thinks) and there's a plot twist that the main character is his great great great granddaughter (plus or minus a few greats).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It's clearly not going to be this, but based on the teaser trailer they might show one other vault, the one where Chris Parnell seems to be a cyclops overseer.

Three vaults that we know of so far from the trailers. The one the main character is from, the one where everyone went 28 Days Later (lady with the machine gun from the teaser is shown in the trailer with an eye patch), and the Chris Parnell cyclops one.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

counterfeitsaint posted:

Wait, this takes place, canonically, after New Vegas? I assumed it would be an alternate version like they did with Halo.

It's been a while since I read about it, but I think it's someone important's rule (Bethesda?) that the timeline must go forward. So it's over 200 years since the vaults opened and not much has changed because if the world progressed realistically it'd ruin the post-apocalyptic vibe.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

counterfeitsaint posted:

Maybe they wouldn't have pristine prefabricated new buildings everywhere, but you'd think the debris and actual human skeletons from 200 years ago would get swept away at some point.

Yeah that's more what I mean, no matter the level of technological advancement in 200 years, you eventually want to get your lazy rear end up and collect the still-working guns, ammo, and bottles of purified water from the ruined shack next door.

Cities would still be ruins, but games haven't had the tech to really portray them even though it'd be cool as hell. I think it's Chicago where the street level is a constant swarm of feral dogs.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Ending spoilers below.

32/33: I didn't follow the drama that much. I even lost track of which one was Lucy's cousin. Didn't care about the election at all. But they tied it into the main plot at the end, and that was great. Guess they needed the characters to do something, anything, until then. I have to say the trailers had some great misdirection. I thought for sure that the Vault Experiment in that one was going to be some kind of rage virus getting unleashed that caused everyone to slaughter each other.

Lucy/Max: I hated Max the entire time, to the point where I was sure he put the razor blade in his BFF's boot. He power-tripped hard, and the romantic subplot felt forced. But I liked that his character meant that Lucy wasn't the most naïve person in the Wasteland, which would have been an easy trap for the show to fall into. I don't think anyone else pointed this out, but Max survived the nuke by hiding in a fridge! Except in the Fallout universe it makes a little more sense that fridges would be nuke-proof. Hell it was probably in the marketing material.

NCR/the setting: If it had to be set in this region, the nuke was a fine reset button. The blackboard said "fall of Shady Sands" and then an arrow to a nuke, so count me among the people who are hoping it's that Shady Sands began the decline at that year and then was nuked shortly after New Vegas ends. I think it's very pessimistic though, even for the Fallout universe, to imply that someone is going to nuke someone else and set everything to zero every 200-300 years.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

I someone who mostly didn't like the show, felt it hints at retconning New Vegas (the game storyline, not the place) out of the lore and felt it was way too much in the Bethesda tone than the west coast Fallout tone, I really liked the Fred Armisen experience.

I really think Fall means nuking Shady Sands, not decline. The NCR was corrupted and stretched thin in the Mohave but I wouldn't call it a "fall" started 4-5 years before New Vegas. They still had a lot of power and resources even if they had problems. Not that I am a huge NCR fan but it was a very interesting faction and it sucks they are gone.

I'm just micro-dosing some copium to make the timeline make sense in my head, that's all. I know in my heart that Todd Howard retconned New Vegas out of spite.

And I also liked Fred Armisen. To me he's the perfect "oh it's that guy!" bit part actor. I rarely enjoy him in a starring role, but I love when he shows up.

What's the deal with Michael Rapaport? I don't like him either but this is exactly the type of character I can take him as. An unrepentant rear end in a top hat who immediately gets killed with barely any screentime. Looking at his Twitter (ugh), he seems to be anti-Trump, anti-Fox News, pro-vax, etc. Just a loud obnoxious guy to me, which I can't stand.

grobbo posted:

I think if people really stopped to considered it for a minute, they might understand why the Nolans would want to avoid the part of the setting that's mostly about rebellious androids that look human

I thought for sure that Michael Emerson's character was a synth. His mannerisms were so strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

The score is very well done, I think the composer nailed making music that is new and different but still vibes like the Mark Morgan originals. I kept hearing bits of Fallout music in there, or something close enough to trigger it in my mind.

There was one time I hovered over the screen and had the Amazon X-ray tell me the music currently playing was the Fallout 4 main menu theme, which of course I'd heard many times.