Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I don't really trust Nolan to pull anything interesting out of this, most of what I'm seeing so far is some savvy casting and borrowed glory from the games.

The test is if this manages to put together a compelling plot over the course of its eight episodes, but I gather they're doing one of those things where everyone's already silo'd off into a bunch of separate subplots and that doesn't fill me with much confidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Oasx posted:

We already have Michael Emerson, so we just need Amy Acker and Kevin Chapman onboard.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Acker -- I think there was some intention to cast her in Katja Herbers role in Westworld IIRC.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

They are dropping all 8 episodes at once so cliffhanger episodes shouldn't be an issue

Personally I find this kind of thing tends to (though not always) accompany episodes that are structured like absolute poo poo, so they're still kind of a red flag regardless of how the story is being released.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Development's started on the second season of this.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Splorange posted:

Got the second episode watched, this is growing on me. Still would be personally more watchable with all the merch and visual callbacks removed.

Yeah, I'm one episode in and I'm impressed with what they're doing, but I'm also disappointed with how derivative some of it feels. The Vault storyline has a good vibe, some solid takes and ideas, but it's anchored to a plot that this series has played with several times now. I kind of wish the lead was going out into the Wasteland to gather sperm rather than get her dad back. That would, at least, be slightly more weird.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The Vault structure seems very big, based on that one shot, but there were weirdly few people on screen. Those kids that were in one scene and never appeared again (kids can't go to weddings?)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

Probably the doylist reason: child actors are tough to work with, they probably didn't want to show a bunch of kids getting slaughtered on screen

Actually the kids became invisible so they couldn't be killed.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

Some people keep framing it as an argument about the minutia of lore and the importance of Canon or remaking a game but no, I just think that as entirely narrative decision it's a weirdly almost spiteful one that makes the setting and story smaller without much good benefit.

Given this is framed as being in continuity -- essentially a sequel -- I think it's not even really about framing it in terms of "lore". It's just story.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

Turn on ur monitor

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Eat The Rich posted:

My thinking is that if they're trying to retcon FO1/FO2 out of existence, which is an opinion I saw a lot, then they wouldn't make an obvious reference to FO1

That's as much a Fallout 3 thing as it is the OG.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Splorange posted:

Hell, Bethesda cared about the originals, they wouldn't have continued the franchise otherwise.

I don't super care one way or the other, but I think the main thing Bethesda cares about is money.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Shallow focus is the bane of current cinematic trends.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
(full season spoilers)

Arc Hammer posted:

If the NCR won then its a messy new state in the country that isn't doing so hot with its home city nuked.

This would be what I'd do, but I'd also have some Legion remnants hanging around at the edges too. Make the entire arc of the show (what, four seasons?) be them travelling from one side of the US to the other.

Do an entire season in Florida, pump in some original content and completely new settings / factions.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

That's modern TV writing. It's a decent Fallout show but it still has a lot of the trademarks of modern TV where nothing can really get fully resolved because you need dangling threads for another season that may or may not come.

I dunno if this is much different from television in the 90s or 80s or 00's or whatever...

You know, stuff that's like "My wife was killed, her killer is still out there, one day I'll catch her." or "The apocalypse is coming, and we've got to be ready. Eventually." or "This is the story of how I met your mother. But not this season. Or next season. You gotta wait a bunch of seasons for the reveal."

IMO it's just denser now than it was before because television is just full of denser plotlines full stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

So Jonathan Nolan has a thing now of multiple storylines, often in different time periods, that climax together

I’m remembering that Stephen King’s It did this as well (at least in the book. The movies don’t)

Can anyone think of an earlier example of this

I think this is quite a lot of shows tbh. Possibly most genre shows being made these days. The most recent season of Chucky, the most recent season of Resident Alien... they're all shows with multiple subplots that often only tangentially relate to each other and either converge or at least come to a climax around the same time because it's the end of the season.

Unless I'm misundertaanding you I reckon it'd be easier to name shows that didn't do this e.g. The Last Of Us